Conference realignment

• Apologies if there’s a thread already…couldn’t find one!

Anyways, the Big 12 better get its sh*t together quickly if they want to survive. Rumors now that the BIG wants the rest of the top tier Pac 12 schools.

Rumor mill: For the past week or so, the Big Ten commissioner, Kevin Warren, has been steadfast that the conference is not looking to further expand after already poaching both USC and UCLA from the Pac-12 earlier this summer. However, there is a new report out there from CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd that shows that the Big Ten could be after another group of Pac-12 teams in the future.

“According to my reporting, the Big Ten is now targeting Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington in a further expansion that would bring the league to 20 teams at least,” Dodd said. “There is another report out there that the Big Ten is also looking at Florida State and Miami, and at that point would be a monopoly of college athletics at the top of the food chain.”

That would be painful to watch, and painful for the Big 12.

• @rockchalkjayhawk Actually this is good for the Big 12, cause not if but WHEN the Big does take like Stanford - - -Washington - - Oregon - or even just one of those Pac teams - that seals it for the Pac 12 they are done. - -Been reading a lot of various teams boards in eh Pac 12. - Long been rumored that the 4 corner schools will jump ship and try to joining Big 12.

Arizona wants out of Pac 12 and to be able to join Big 12 - -Arizona is the primary school that has been rumored to waning to join the Big 12. Talk of probably/possibly Utah joining also. - If this happens Big 12 has even more options for like Arizona State and Others the one mentioned then was Colorado.

The talk is ESPN wants to continue to have that night slot , however in the media rights ESPN is rporting that they are trying to low ball with and est of like 24.5 Mil per school, a where Big 12 is looking at possible 35-40 mil been reported/hearing. These PAC 12 schools if ESPN doesn’t come with a better offer - -much better offer these schools are gonna jump ship quickly cause they don’t wanna get caught with nothing and no where to go.

Big 12 is in a good spot if it comes to adding these PAC 12 teams , we add those 4 that put the Big 12 at 16 team conference and the 3rd best Conference behind the SEC & Big it will get worked out

• For Kansas, the question is: Are we better off (long term) as a big fish in a little pond or a little fish in The B1G pond?

• @bskeet said in Conference realignment:

For Kansas, the question is: Are we better off (long term) as a big fish in a little pond or a little fish in The B1G pond?

That’s an easy question, the Big 10. Both athletically and academically. Athletically, if KU joined, TV revenues would essentially double once KU got full shares if the Big 10 ends up anywhere near the $100 million per school number floating out there. Even if it’s in the $75-80 million range, that’s still significantly more than the Big 12 even if KU doesn’t get full revenue immediately like Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers went through. That extra money helps fund renovations to Memorial Stadium, helps fund NIL programs, and helps increase funding coaching and recruiting budgets for olympic sports programs which helps those programs of which KU is pretty good at several such as volleyball, soccer, and track and field.

Academically, KU is far better off in the Big 10 than the Big 12. KU is number 2 or 3 currently in prestige in the league (Texas is better and TCU is as well depending on metrics used). KU would actually be near the bottom of the Big 10 in regards to academic prestige, but being in that group of AAU programs would help significantly elevate KU’s academic standing.

This doesn’t mean that KU should act like Missouri a decade ago in trying to get into the Big 10, but working to get a Big 10 invite should be a top priority of Girod and Goff. The biggest thing on the athletic side KU could do is to move forward with Memorial Stadium renovations regardless of where of where the football team at this point. Those renovations would show a long term commitment to growing the football program and making it consistently competitive which is something the Big 10 would be looking at.

I don’t know enough about the academic side of things to say what KU needs to focus on to make themselves more attractive to the Big 10, but I’m sure @FarmerJayhawk could give some insight on that front as to what KU could do academically to make themselves more attractive to the Big 10.

For Kansas, the question is: Are we better off (long term) as a big fish in a little pond or a little fish in The B1G pond?

Buddy people got to stop thinking we are getting into the Big 10. - - Basketball only IS NOT going to get us in. Plus now if it turns out true and the BIG 10 decides to steal the likes of Washington Stanford and such - -we are not getting in , just the way it is

I choose Big fish, big pond! 🙂

• @rockchalkjayhawk said in Conference realignment:

@bskeet said in Conference realignment:

I choose Big fish, big pond! 🙂

I agree — love going big

• Well interesting, how legit – any fire behind their absence ?-- -I guess that Washington & Oregon’s AD’s not at the Pac 12 Media days , wonder how much that might have to do with the rumor they being considered by the BIG – things might already be taking place just not disclosed.

Pac 12 Commish fired shots at Big 12. - -Saying he appreciates the Big 12 saying they open for business BUT not sure yet if they ready to shop here yet. – LMAO, this guy is twisted, it’s his league more then ours that’s more likely then not to get teams taken not the Big 12.

Actually only 5 -12 League AD’S showed up for the PAC 12 Conference.- -I STILL think it’s the Big 12 that will be adding PAC 12 teams when the air clears

• As a Big 12 (nee Big 😎 grad who lives in Pac-12 (nee Pac-8) country, it’s interesting to watch fans in each conference badmouth the other.

I’m hearing exactly the same rhetoric from both sides…“How dare we lower ourselves by taking in schools from THAT conference. They don’t compare to the teams in OUR league.” The truth is that both conferences are “walking wounded” after they lost their sugar daddy schools.

Personally I’d like to see more cooperation and less backbiting. Let’s face it, there’s a reason that the Big 10 and SEC didn’t come calling for the others: The dollar bill. And the Notre Dame situation makes it even more unlikely that any of the have-nots will join the two majors. The sooner the larger left-behind schools figure this out and start making the best of the situation, the better.

• @nwhawkfan said in Conference realignment:

As a Big 12 (nee Big 😎 grad who lives in Pac-12 (nee Pac-8) country, it’s interesting to watch fans in each conference badmouth the other.

I’m hearing exactly the same rhetoric from both sides…“How dare we lower ourselves by taking in schools from THAT conference. They don’t compare to the teams in OUR league.” The truth is that both conferences are “walking wounded” after they lost their sugar daddy schools.

Personally I’d like to see more cooperation and less backbiting. Let’s face it, there’s a reason that the Big 10 and SEC didn’t come calling for the others: The dollar bill. And the Notre Dame situation makes it even more unlikely that any of the have-nots will join the two majors. The sooner the larger left-behind schools figure this out and start making the best of the situation, the better.

you and me both. just like PAC 12 schools need to accept their position and that they nee the Big 12 help the better - -Fans from KU need to understand that the Big is not gonna be sending KU any invitation to join the Big 10. - -It’s only getting less and less chance

On the bright side if there is one , with the talk from the BIG Commissioner that it’s not over , and they checking out now Oregon , Washington and others that just helps the Big 12 in adding Pac 12 teams cause if like it has been said in other articles if they lose anymore teams /Schools they are done so there is that , BUT with the chances of the Big 10 possibly adding Stanford - -Oregon - -Washington and when it’s all said and doe Possibly Norte Dame , there is no way KU gets invited to joined that Conference. - The sooner the PAC 12 realizes things , and KU realizes and just get this done the better off we will be.

• Now some talk going on that maybe the Big 21 takes on possibly 3 PAC 12 teams and then possibly San Diego State. The reason for the interest of the Aztecs ? Because the size of the Campus blowing up and more West Coast Media

• @nwhawkfan said in Conference realignment:

As a Big 12 (nee Big 😎 grad who lives in Pac-12 (nee Pac-8) country, it’s interesting to watch fans in each conference badmouth the other.

It’s open season for attacking each other at the moment. Biggest mouth the winner, they think.

Hard to blame any of em, as they are fighting for survival.

Not sure it matters that much in the end. the BIG and SEC are the top dawgs from here on out. The rest will nibble at the bits.

• I got it. Let’s just sign up all remaining teams that aren’t in the Big10 or SEC… We’ll form a 60-team conference and have more viewers than both of these conferences. All of our media will be built by Jay-Z. We’ll figure out what we are doing later… lol

• @drgnslayr said in Conference realignment:

I got it. Let’s just sign up all remaining teams that aren’t in the Big10 or SEC… We’ll form a 60-team conference and have more viewers than both of these conferences. All of our media will be built by Jay-Z. We’ll figure out what we are doing later… lol

I’ve got a great name for that conference.

National Collegiate Athletic Association

• @Kcmatt7 said in Conference realignment:

@drgnslayr said in Conference realignment:

I got it. Let’s just sign up all remaining teams that aren’t in the Big10 or SEC… We’ll form a 60-team conference and have more viewers than both of these conferences. All of our media will be built by Jay-Z. We’ll figure out what we are doing later… lol

I’ve got a great name for that conference.

National Collegiate Athletic Association

@Kcmatt7 Ha. not like that name will be in use in a few years! 🙂

• @Kcmatt7

We can pay the NCAA a few pennies for their NIL… lol

• One thing that I’ve learned is that nothing really happens when there’s a lot of banter. But when it gets quiet, look out.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Conference realignment:

@bskeet said in Conference realignment:

That’s an easy question, the Big 10. Both athletically and academically. Athletically, if KU joined, TV revenues would essentially double once KU got full shares if the Big 10 ends up anywhere near the $100 million per school number floating out there. Even if it’s in the $75-80 million range, that’s still significantly more than the Big 12 even if KU doesn’t get full revenue immediately like Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers went through. That extra money helps fund renovations to Memorial Stadium, helps fund NIL programs, and helps increase funding coaching and recruiting budgets for olympic sports programs which helps those programs of which KU is pretty good at several such as volleyball, soccer, and track and field.

Academically, KU is far better off in the Big 10 than the Big 12. KU is number 2 or 3 currently in prestige in the league (Texas is better and TCU is as well depending on metrics used). KU would actually be near the bottom of the Big 10 in regards to academic prestige, but being in that group of AAU programs would help significantly elevate KU’s academic standing.

This doesn’t mean that KU should act like Missouri a decade ago in trying to get into the Big 10, but working to get a Big 10 invite should be a top priority of Girod and Goff. The biggest thing on the athletic side KU could do is to move forward with Memorial Stadium renovations regardless of where of where the football team at this point. Those renovations would show a long term commitment to growing the football program and making it consistently competitive which is something the Big 10 would be looking at.

I don’t know enough about the academic side of things to say what KU needs to focus on to make themselves more attractive to the Big 10, but I’m sure @FarmerJayhawk could give some insight on that front as to what KU could do academically to make themselves more attractive to the Big 10.

Agree on call counts, except for perhaps the last part, idk about my insight but I’ll give it a go. First thing is increasing admissions standards. Chancellor Gray Little got the ball rolling but KU still accepts 90+% of applicants, and it’s not because Kansans are especially qualified. We should strive for metrics that get us to 60-70%. That would increase the quality of the student body and attract better faculty. Better faculty —> more research $ —> on and on. KU has some terrific graduate programs, but not the types of cash cows that make us super impressive in Big Ten land. KU Med’s NCI Comprehensive Classification is a huge start. Just need more in pharmacy, engineering, et al.

• @FarmerJayhawk

So let me see if I have this correct… the academic reputation of our school will be determined by what conference we are in, which is being determined by sports media marketing wonks and their valuation of conference media contracts?

@FarmerJayhawk

So let me see if I have this correct… the academic reputation of our school will be determined by what conference we are in, which is being determined by sports media marketing wonks and their valuation of conference media contracts?

Opposite causal direction! We have to be better academically (among other things) to get into the Big Ten. Which will also enhance our reputation. Being in the same league as Michigan, Northwestern, and Wisconsin vs. Baylor, OSU, and Texas Tech will help quite a bit too.

And just cards on the table here, I’ve argued for a long time the B1G is best for KU even if we still suck at football and basketball gets a bit worse. It is an academic institution first and foremost after all!

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Conference realignment:

It is an academic institution first and foremost after all!

I thought KU only exists to irritate the hell out of the entire state of Missouri?

• @FarmerJayhawk

It’s hard to win me to go to any conference… but your post here brings out my thumb pointing up! Thanks!

• @mayjay said in Conference realignment:

@FarmerJayhawk said in Conference realignment:

It is an academic institution first and foremost after all!

I thought KU only exists to irritate the hell out of the entire state of Missouri?

We’re the Gondor to their Mordor tbh

• Go back to the abyss prepared for you, Missouri! Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your master, Nick Saban! Go!

• So will college sports break down into political history followings?

Big10 - Union

SEC - Confederate

• Well this is certainly interesting. Now let’s get this out there before we get accused of blowing things out of the water before it goes anywhere - -we all know there is nothing in this that will happen but if it’s true and parties believe it is , it’s good to see we have a new Commish that isn’t gonna sit still and watch all of this pass us by. - -Now here is what I heard within the last hour. Actually read and heard

There is a report that came out from St Paul Minnesota , from the Pioneer Gazette I guess that our New Commish had reached out to the University of Minnesota to see if they had any interest in possibly joining the Big 12. - Now the guy says or people feel if he reached out to Minnesota makes them feel they weren’t the only Schools. They said now what if he reached out to the Western quad of the Big ten ? - - Schools like Minnesota — Iowa - - -Wisconsin - - & Nebraska ?

Now like they also said we know that these Schools probably would have no interest, probably just going to take the money & run. but they said from a Social media stand point wonder how that would look ? - – Because what those schools ar facing now is having to make several trips out to the Western Coast area’s - -how is that going to end up working out ? - - Hmmmm makes you wonder .

Like we said at the beginnning and the people said also , we know there is nothing to this BUT - It’s good to know that we have a Commish that is going to refuse to just sit still& he is going to be out and touching all bases-- all possibilities for the conference. - for me myself , I like tht , I want an active guy thats willing to get after it and protect our conference

• I guess you gotta shoot your shot

• Now crazy rumors of Oklahoma State & Texas A & M to the Big 10. - - -Oklahoma State IS NOT going to the Big 10. For one the academics don’t match up with Big 10 standards

• I think the big white elephant in the room could be political/lifestyle differences.

Maybe this scrambling of conferences is good for our country? Maybe it helps establish more of a systemic integration?

For example… I’m worldly… lived abroad and travel extensively. Some of my Kansas friends have not had this fortune. Sometimes I see how it would help them to experience more of the world.

Does anyone else see this conference spaghetti as a cultural opportunity?

• Academics first and cost, so no! Time too.

• I think things are going to get pretty interesting in the not to distant future now that the BIG has their media package done. - - - CBS , NBC , Peacock, - - I enjoy listening to Sicem 365 a Baylor podcast , lots of talk about re-alignment and such. They talking with the BIG done with their TV package , your going to start seeing movement.

They said they think the PAC 12 isn’t going to get anything close to what they want or what they need in the talks with ESPN. - -They think ESPN going to lowball , with the BIG still mumbling about yet further adds probably end up with a 20 team Conference – meaning in the end your gonna see the Washington , Oregon gone to the BIG. - that will destroy the PAC 12.

They talking like more then ever now we might see a merger of some sorts with the PAC 12 & Big 12 - with the thoughts of hey you got you TV deal - - we got our TV deal come on let’s get together solidfy and strengthen and become one better one. We would be the # 3 Conference. We all know that the Big 2 or the Pac 12 is no going to come anywhere close to the BIG or the SEC but we for sure be in a solid place with 3rd on top of ACC and others

I think the chances are good that in the end we will see the 4 Schools Ariz , Arizona St Utah and Colorado when it’s all said and done coming to the big 12. Think we are going to see some movement not that far , cause with the BIG still whispering about still adding more the other like Arizona and those schools gonna act fast while they have a chance & not get left out in the cold

In the end think you will see Oregon & Washington and they said even Stanford joining the BIG

• I know it’s about viewership and not geography… however… #1 and #2 are both really eastern conferences. Adding in UCLA and USC only gives them a touch outside the east.

I don’t like being called “#3”… but is it that bad if we became the premiere conference for most of America that is NOT east?

I know… I know… Texas and Oklahoma aren’t with us. I’ll take some joy in watching them become irrelevant like Nebraska did… and Mizzou further.

This is starting to look like our political system… big electoral states… Ohio, Florida, Michigan… Texas.

Just to piss off Texas… I now consider them an “Eastern state!” lol

I’ll be eating popcorn and watching the huge culture war go down between California and the Big10.

UCLA and USC, the perpetual pearls of the West Coast are just two irrelevant, hated teams in the Big10. Hope they choke on their money roll! My LA people are telling me they are receiving big time hate in their own backyard now. They better make a plan to recruit more enrollment overseas because many high school kids are changing their education plans.

• @drgnslayr - my fervent belief is that UT and OU will follow the path of TA&M to irrelevancy. If they fail like Fizzou, so much the better.

I feel like UCLA & USC will struggle in the Big 10. The B1G is more smash mouth….

• @Gorilla72 You do know A&M is ranked 6th in the preseason poll and one of the few teams to have multiple wins over Alabama since they moved, on top of having a Heisman winner. They haven’t exactly been irrelevant over the last 10 years. That’s on top of the expansions to Kyle Field during that time as well. I’d very strongly argue that A&M is the one school out of the 4 that have left so far that has been better off since leaving the Big 12.

• A&M has been a great fit down in the SEC. Both have big cult energy

• So if the Kansas Board of Regents has to approve a conference move, and Carl Ice (member of KSU Foundation) is Vice Chair… does this mean we probably can’t change conferences without taking our purple little brother with us?

So if the Kansas Board of Regents has to approve a conference move, and Carl Ice (member of KSU Foundation) is Vice Chair… does this mean we probably can’t change conferences without taking our purple little brother with us?

There would be a lot of pressure on the regents to require KU and KState to remain in the same conference. Not sure if they would draw a red line on that issue, but there is the possibility that would happen.

So if the Kansas Board of Regents has to approve a conference move, and Carl Ice (member of KSU Foundation) is Vice Chair… does this mean we probably can’t change conferences without taking our purple little brother with us?

0% chance they’d stop KU from moving.

• I’m sticking with my guns on this KU is NOT going anywhere, so we don’t have to worry about taking lil brother with us. - - KU when it’s all said and done will be right here in the Big 12. - -Any conference re-alignment will be the Big 12 adding the 4 Pac 12 teams that has been the topic from day one.

The Big 12 WILL be the 3rd P-5 Conference with the additions if any -they will be Arizona - -Arizona State - - Utah - -& Colorado with I think the two best shots out of this group Arizona & Utah.

Just read another article today the BIG is targeting 5 Schools still with 4 of those 5 coming from the Pac 12 then they trying to still get Norte Dame - which that’s not happening for some time anyways - -the other 4 if the BIG invites they will 100 % jump and destroy the Pac 12 - . If Arizona could they would be in the Big 12 today. - All a matter of time.

People still think KU is goin to the BIG - - you need to stop and face reality , the BIG will not invite KU - -not for a few years anyways We have to become better in the football side which we all know or should know this is what it’s all about. the Money sport , the revenue for any possibility we not there yet. - just get ready to accept new additions to the Big 12 - this conference is gonna be fine -not billion but solid 3rd , while these other Conferences maybe not so much. - -I think too when the smoke clears your gonna see the ACC crumble over time yes their GOR is insane but I think the SEC will grab the schools mentioned and they will work around that

An awesome thing would be if that were to happen then the Big 12 with Arizona & Utah maybe be able to get Louisville another from the dissolved ACC would make for a solid Conference and really really good Basketball - -with the addition of Arizona and Louisville regarding that sport - - time will tell but don’t be surprised

• Here we go again. Florida State wants out of the ACC. Some are speculating the ACC dismantling has now begun. North Carolina and Virginia next up?

• I keep hearing ACC schools are in talks with the B12, SEC and B10. Sounding like 3 if we are lucky “power conferences” maybe a reality in the near future.

• @kjayhawks said in Conference realignment:

I keep hearing ACC schools are in talks with the B12, SEC and B10. Sounding like 3 if we are lucky “power conferences” maybe a reality in the near future.

Kinda funny if we ended up with three mega conferences.

Same teams, but bunched up differently. There go conference rivalries.

• Oh, and I hate TV money…can’t the NCAA figure out how to combat this???

• I’m gonna be honest with the insane amount of money flying around and the games about ready to be streamed on 5 different apps. I likely won’t be a sports fan in 5 years.

• Yea, we need a czar who can control all this mess and keep fans engaged.

• Before long, we will have hologrammed games in the home or virtual reality with court side seats. Just hope it will not be too expensive.
    I see that Meta Quest already has it for NBA games. College should not be too far behind.

• Will be fascinating to see if they can get out of the GOR. Thats like half a billion when you include the exit fee

• Everyone is jumping the gun a bit I think. Florida St has to get out of the ACC GOR first.

If they somehow can, they probably go to the B10 or SEC. I would think most FSU fans see going to the B12 as a lateral move and not worth the trouble of trying to get out of the ACC GOR. You could make a pretty salty conference just taking the top half of the ACC and the top half of the B12, though.