So here's the thing with this California bill passed



  • A group of my friends and I were all out last night and talking, and pretty well all came with the same conclusion. With this thing guys it’s coming - -it’s going to happen whether you really want it or not - - it’s coming. More and more States are going to adapt this , introduce this and it WILL pass. Think they said Florida has adopted this now or about to - -then like my buddies were talking and said you know who the next state that will follow suit on this will be ? - - -Texas you can almost count on that.

    Here is the thing Big 12 Commissioner Ol Bob Goolsby has made the statement kinda hinting how he is stands behind the NCAA on this thing more or less standing pat. - - Well if this indeed starts to steam roll which again fully believe this will — you know- - - I know - - -we know Texas isn’t going to stand pat , in the long run Texas is not going to have any part of this lop sided playing field that this is going to create.

    So if ol Bobby doesn’t want any part of this - -Then Texas is just gonna say umm ya - - Well were out. - Texas IS gonna follow suit with this , the thing is and this has been talked about and we all know this is coming too. - -that is when the current contract expires in the Big 12 - -we don’t follow suit with these other states that will go to this - -there will be NO MORE Big 12 - - it will for sure crumble/dissolve , we know that’s coming anyway - -But now with this all it’s doing is speeding up the process - - face it the Big 12 is history - if we don’t get on board with this thing now - - we gonna get left behind.

    This league is doomed - -already was - - But Texas gonna say we out leave the league - Then in light of that Oklahoma gonna follow suit to Texas because as you all know there is NO WAY Oklahoma is going to let Texas get the upper hand in any thing , These other states are going to start an follow suit with California with this you can take it to the bank.

    We ( Kansas ) beter get on board with this sooner then later - this is going to have a snowball effect - - like I said this just speeds things up for the breaking up of the Big 12 - Texas will be gone - -then Oklahoma Schools are going to follow - -that will be Texas - - Texas Tech - - TCU - - - Oklahoma – -Oklahoma State - all out- -this isn’t nearly as much of a nightmare as some here think - - again the Universities are making money - -a lot of money off these kids , these kids are just like anyone else - they need money to survive.

    Example why couldn’t the NCAA have some kind of stipulation/limit - -Example let’s say some little kid had a players jersey number , - -ask the player if he would Autograph it - -the NCAA has a stipulation limit of 50.00 max for that - - why not?

    So in the Current condition - - let me ask are students required to live on Campus? - -are they forced to live in the athletic dorm? - -if they are why? - -what if they want to live in an apartment of Campus - -no different then any other student - -other students are required to live on Campus - -if they are why should athletes be forced to live on Campus? - -and if they are forced - -then how the hell are they suppose to pay the rent? - -how do they buy groceries - - - clothes - - everyday things?

    it’s coming – IT IS going to happen - -people want to say well who would these California schools play ? - -Like my friends saod Hell the state of California is big enough by it’s self that it would be a problem - - UCLA - - USC - - - Cal, to name the major plus I know I’m missing others - - my buddy in California says they have many many schools that could play - - -plus these other States come on board - -which they are going to - -the Florida Schools - -The Texas Schools these are states that have many Major D-1 that can play - -again all this bil in the long run is doing is speeding up the process of the Big 12 no more. - -

    Now ya the general Concenus is KU would be ok - -probably land in the Big 10 - But for some of these other Schools - -like K-State they gonna be screwed because the theory of these Conferences is - -what can you bring to the table - what can you bring to our Conference as to why we should add you?

    In order to keep the playing field level this is a must thing to do - - you think we have had trouble getting recruits before? - -well just stand back - - do nothing - -see what happens - - won’t be pretty



  • With all the shifting sands – it does make you realize the stakes are pretty high and that the Adidas deal is pretty strategic to us finding a landing chair when the music stops with the conference roulette.

    If Kansas was progressive (been a long time since those words were in the same sentence), it could find a home in the Pac12, because the California law affect 1/3 (Stanford is the fourth one) of the P12 schools and I would expect Oregon and Washington to follow quickly that’s 4 more (2/3 of the conference with just 3 states)

    I would agree that KU is a better geographic and cultural fit with the B10, but I expect they will drag their heels on this. Maybe I’m wrong, but they are spread all over the place and have the Notre Dame challenge.

    In any case, our status as the Adidas flagship has is valuable in a variety of ways, including making us attractive in conference realignment conversations. Just another reason KU is all in on fighting the NCAA.



  • @bskeet - I don’t think KU can join the PAC12. California law says their sports teams can’t play in states that don’t meet California anti-LGBT laws. KU would have to find a different conference.



  • when this comes - - - and we know it’s coming - - KU best not be dragging their feet - they do - -they are screwed - -but seriously when this conference goes down in shambles -like the majority of talk has gone seems like a natural fit to the Big 10 - -when this conference goes down - - it’s a School like K-State might have a hard time finding another P-5 Conference - -cause honestly they really don’t offer a lot to attract interest - they’re football program is ehhh decent but Basketball is way to inconsistent to be eye popping, think they may have some trouble. - – Buddy of mine seems to think they may fit better into the SEC for different reasons - -guess because the make up of the school – not sure if I agree with that or not - -maybe I guess



  • There is a federal bill being proposed along the same lines. It is what it is.



  • @Gorilla72 When did that law go into effect? I thought Stanford played KU in Lawrence last season – in Dec 2018.

    Or maybe it applies only to the state schools – UCLA, UC Berkeley, (but not USC or Stanford)



  • @bskeet guessing our contract was already made before that came out?





  • I dislike the idea of Kansas leaving the B12. Walk into AFH, the museum for Kansas basketball. Notice our history for B8 (later becoming B12). Then imagine we leave the B12. How valuable are those old banners and trophies? They relate to a conference we left and get further away from every single day. It’s like we are starting from scratch in college basketball. Kansas is one of the most prominent basketball institutions in college basketball. Our history is a huge part of our modern day identity. When we don’t like aspects of the B12 we need to punch harder at our own conference. Unfortunately, our conference doesn’t stay tuned to modern times. That can be a good thing and that can be a bad thing.



  • Shoe companies are behind all of this. I’d bet if you dig deep enough you’ll find lobbying dollars coming from them. The legislation will allow shoe companies to start using these kids IN HIGH SCHOOL for commercials. They will sign contracts for these commercials that will include signing with that shoe. This will force the kid to only look at certain colleges. Coaches won’t waste their time on kids signed to other shoes, so that could help some colleges. Eventually, the rot of money will turn off the college basketball fan. The shoe companies with the NBA will then start basketball academies for high school level kids, who bypass college altogether. This will groom them for the NBA and minor leagues. The NBA will have fewer problems and more time scouting these guys and thus have fewer busts and will improve their product. The college game will eventually go back to what it was. More local kids and local support from alumni.

    Call me crazy but this is where it’s all headed.



  • BigBad said:

    The shoe companies with the NBA will then start basketball academies for high school level kids, who bypass college altogether. This will groom them for the NBA and minor leagues. The NBA will have fewer problems and more time scouting these guys and thus have fewer busts and will improve their product. The college game will eventually go back to what it was. More local kids and local support from alumni.

    Call me crazy but this is where it’s all headed.

    The basketball academies are coming. The NBA has been studying European soccer academies for years to see how they could implement that. Once each team has a G-League affiliate (2020 season), the next step will be forming academies that are tied to the G-League affiliate.

    College basketball needs to act now, otherwise they will be on the outside looking in.



  • drgnslayr said:

    I dislike the idea of Kansas leaving the B12. Walk into AFH, the museum for Kansas basketball. Notice our history for B8 (later becoming B12). Then imagine we leave the B12. How valuable are those old banners and trophies? They relate to a conference we left and get further away from every single day. It’s like we are starting from scratch in college basketball. Kansas is one of the most prominent basketball institutions in college basketball. Our history is a huge part of our modern day identity. When we don’t like aspects of the B12 we need to punch harder at our own conference. Unfortunately, our conference doesn’t stay tuned to modern times. That can be a good thing and that can be a bad thing.

    Well sorry to say have to disappoint you and I’m not super charged about it either BUT it IS going to happen. - -It’s just a matter of when - - -Sooner OR later. – the Big 12 is going to become a Conference of the past - -it’s just a given, whether it’s now or later. – For sure by the time the Big 12 Contract comes back around - -let’s see isn’t that 2022?

    Texas & Oklahoma are going to play a major part in the demise of this Conference - -with this new law passed in California , you can take it to the Bank Texas will be one of the next one’s to want to pass the same law - - -not wanting to get left behind the Jone’s - -with them ALREADY having their own network - -they don’t want to feel they are being upped one by anybody. – - I have felt from day one since they joined the Conference that they always kind of looked down on us and the rest - kind of that uppity BS - -like they were better then the rest. - Then of Course once they do that you already know - - Oklahoma isn’t going to be outdone by Texas - -they are not going to allow Texas to get a leg up on them , so they feel anyways - -you take your Texas Schools - -and then followed by the Oklahoma Schools and there goes the conference - even though this Conference is doomed as a Conference either way.

    You’ll never have to worry about KU starting from Scratch in Basketball - - as you say we ARE a prominent very prominent School in Basketball – and always will be , whether it’s here in the Big 12 or any other Conference - -we will always be a blue blood School - not worried about that at all. – Not worried about finding a Conference that will take us because of exactly that.

    I along with you really don’t want to see this happening - - but it IS going to happen the question just is WHEN? - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY



  • @jayballer73

    Not sure I see Texas leaving the B12. Did you forget about the Longhorn Network? I’m pretty sure that must make it hard for UT to move on. Not sure what other league is prepared to bring in such a heavy school. The B12 was vulnerable for a school like UT.

    Where would they go? SEC? I just don’t see it. I do a lot of work with UT and there are cultural differences between UT and the SEC.

    Just watch this play out. Self is now on record for supporting the Cal law. Coaches have to recruit. Do you think many of them want to go against paying players?

    The writing is on the wall, and the NCAA is going to cave. The real question is “how much?” How much will they cave? Regs will have to be in place. Lines will have to be drawn. I bet they are busy now trying to calculate lines and what they think they can govern and enforce.

    I foresee much of this ending up in court. Not so much on the overall concept of the new Cal law. That is quickly catching fire like a prairie blaze. It’s all about the details and such a broad concept will have to be refined with regs. I can see half a dozen major areas of interest and there will be huge money in those interests. Now you are talking about corporate attorneys taking on the NCAA.

    As much as we all want to BBQ the NCAA and call them out as being dictators… imagine the size and scope of what is about to happen.



  • drgnslayr said:

    @jayballer73

    Not sure I see Texas leaving the B12. Did you forget about the Longhorn Network? I’m pretty sure that must make it hard for UT to move on. Not sure what other league is prepared to bring in such a heavy school. The B12 was vulnerable for a school like UT.

    Where would they go? SEC? I just don’t see it. I do a lot of work with UT and there are cultural differences between UT and the SEC.

    Just watch this play out. Self is now on record for supporting the Cal law. Coaches have to recruit. Do you think many of them want to go against paying players?

    The writing is on the wall, and the NCAA is going to cave. The real question is “how much?” How much will they cave? Regs will have to be in place. Lines will have to be drawn. I bet they are busy now trying to calculate lines and what they think they can govern and enforce.

    I foresee much of this ending up in court. Not so much on the overall concept of the new Cal law. That is quickly catching fire like a prairie blaze. It’s all about the details and such a broad concept will have to be refined with regs. I can see half a dozen major areas of interest and there will be huge money in those interests. Now you are talking about corporate attorneys taking on the NCAA.

    As much as we all want to BBQ the NCAA and call them out as being dictators… imagine the size and scope of what is about to happen.

    Still not going to matter , there has been talk about this Conference being toast for years - it’s just not going to survive come contract time.

    No I haven’t forgot - -I think they will slide into the Sec just fine - -actually I could care less about UT - - -but even without anything concerning Texas - -this is a Conference that just isn’t going to hold together - - as I’m sure you have heard/talked/read about - when it’s all said and done your going to see 4-5 MEGA SUPER Conferences and others will be in Scramble mode - -still fully believe when this come to light KU will end up in the Big 10. - -Bottom line is If I were a betting man I’d bet % somewhere around 80% that the Big 12 will be history

    Cold be Coach Self endorsing this Bill saying he would be in support of it - so he can land in another Conference where this comes into play be able to maintain recruiting with other Big Boys - -as you know or should the top recruits are going to be swayed to go to a School where they can get some kind of money to play - -right now the West coast Schools are going to have a huge advantage - -Bill wants to keep the table/playing field level for KU.

    We Better hope that the State of Kansas adopts the same law that was passed, on the other hand I just think with this law being passed just enhances the chance of the Big 12 being broken even more on top of the new Contract coming up



  • @drgnslayr Texas did try to leave the B12 during the last round of realignment, but the Longhorn Network is what kept them from leaving. There was supposedly a deal in place for Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas, and Colorado to head to the P12, but that was contingent on UT giving up the LHN. KU was involved in that deal because of them playing nice with Texas and being the B12 game that has aired on LHN every year they’ve played in Austin since the network’s launch and that was UT helping KU out for playing nice.

    Regardless of people’s opinions of Texas, the Longhorn Network is what’s holding the league together at this point.

    I do agree with those however who believe the B12 is on its last legs. When Fox and ESPN each told the B12 they wouldn’t redo the contract to get the league back to 12 teams a couple of years ago, that was the writing on the wall that the league won’t survive. KU will end up in either the P12 because KU is a great cultural fit in the P12, but the LGBT bill will probably keep that from happening. Or KU ends up in B10 where it is a better geographic fit.



  • Texas Hawk 10 said:

    Regardless of people’s opinions of Texas, the Longhorn Network is what’s holding the league together at this point.

    I agree. There is no place for Texas to go with their shiny network.

    Unfortunately, what I think is likely to happen with the new player endorsement money coming in… I see it benefiting schools in the larger TV markets the most.

    We all know how marketing works, and money chases the crowds.

    I mentioned before about issues with what is to come; will the NCAA inject a level of socialism in the regs to follow? Will they want a slice of the pie along with giving the conferences a slice, too?

    It does fit their model of taking most of the pie away from the players. It’s a perfect way of diluting the impact and it sure would make a lot of people happy that aren’t players!

    I’m smelling a college players’ union coming our way!



  • @drgnslayr With as much money as Adidas is spending on KU, they will not let KU get left out of the next round of realignment. You don’t spend almost $200 million on a deal with a school to leave them out of a major conference.



  • @Texas-Hawk-10

    Isn’t the Big 12 still a major conference? Except for last year, KU owns the Big 12 in basketball. Seems like it could be a better investment to own the team that owns a major conference instead of a team that is one of many in another major conference.

    I don’t know. I felt a bit enlightened after your post and will think about that for a while.



  • Never align with California, per se. They are insane and out of their minds. That is not to say that we can’t be part of a realignment that makes the corrupt NCAA history.

    Disassociate schools from athletics institutionally and let’s go. We know at this point the whole “amateur “ thing is just a pose.



  • drgnslayr said:

    @Texas-Hawk-10

    Isn’t the Big 12 still a major conference? Except for last year, KU owns the Big 12 in basketball. Seems like it could be a better investment to own the team that owns a major conference instead of a team that is one of many in another major conference.

    I don’t know. I felt a bit enlightened after your post and will think about that for a while.

    Yes, the B12 is still a major conference, but so was the Big East before the ACC raided and destroyed that league.

    With the way TV is going the way it is and the talk of possible CFP expansion, having just 4 major conferences makes that much simpler because the conference title games would become the quarter final games.

    Both of the B12’s TV partners flat out telling the B12 they couldn’t expand a couple of years ago was very telling about where Fox and ESPN view the B12 and it wasn’t positive for the B12’s future for the next round of conference realignment which will start heating up in the next couple of years when the B12’s deals are up.



  • Let’s get one part of the facts straight about the California bill - it does not pay players.

    It allows student athletes to profit off their name/likeness. It basically allows players to maintain eligibility if they earn money outside of their scholarship. It basically forces colleges and universities to treat student athletes like other scholarship students. Nobody is preventing the kid on an English scholarship from making money as a tutor, or writing and selling poems/essays/short stories. Nobody keeps the Foreign Language major from earning money on the side as an interpreter.

    No reason to not treat student athletes the same.



  • justanotherfan said:

    It basically forces colleges and universities to treat student athletes like other scholarship students. Nobody is preventing the kid on an English scholarship from making money as a tutor, or writing and selling poems/essays/short stories. Nobody keeps the Foreign Language major from earning money on the side as an interpreter.

    I wish I could upvote this a thousand times. It’s a point I’ve made frequently before.



  • The point has not logic. None. It “feels” good, but in reality, it makes no sense. For all the silly examples (selling a poem?), perhaps some thought about this:

    What the California law permits is the destruction of college sports.

    Tell me where the California law prevents Adidas, Nike, UA, NB, etc., from engaging in an all out bidding war for certain CBB and CFB players’ “likeness”, etc., all in return for attending a particular school? That is, the shoe companies acting on behalf of the programs. The king makers. Or, David Booth? Or whatever bidder decides to be king maker?

    Think … this … through.



  • Bid wars already happen behind the scenes. Almost nothing would change in that regard.



  • @HighEliteMajor

    In other words… to pay off players to sign with a school. Like what goes on now, behind closed doors.

    Since we are an Adidas school, and at the top of their basketball list… won’t we benefit more than most? Look at the size of our school contract with Adidas. They have invested big time in Kansas. They will want to continue to help sign players to Kansas and will pay a premium price.

    I don’t go with something just because Kansas benefits more.

    I have no idea how this is going to work but we have several years to have this litigate and rules to be drawn. The NCAA will have to find a way to satisfy everyone. Or… let me rewrite that… the courts will have to find a way to satisfy everyone. REALITY: no one will be satisfied because that is the culture we live in today!



  • justanotherfan said:

    Let’s get one part of the facts straight about the California bill - it does not pay players.

    It allows student athletes to profit off their name/likeness. It basically allows players to maintain eligibility if they earn money outside of their scholarship. It basically forces colleges and universities to treat student athletes like other scholarship students. Nobody is preventing the kid on an English scholarship from making money as a tutor, or writing and selling poems/essays/short stories. Nobody keeps the Foreign Language major from earning money on the side as an interpreter.

    No reason to not treat student athletes the same.

    THANK YOU



  • One of my boys, Sen. Romney, is going to give this thing some juice. He told the NCAA earlier, “we’re coming for you.” Sometimes bipartisanship really does exist. https://twitter.com/nflpa/status/1184617925333917698?s=21


Log in to reply