March Madness: Seedings? My advice... plant wheat!

• Looking like we may be a 2-seed. Does anyone have a problem with this? To be honest, I’m glad if we stay off that top line because I’m lacking confidence in March this year.

Who are your picks for “chip teams?” Teams with the biggest chip. My chip teams are the Zags, Duke, Texas Tech.

Are we a Sweet 16 team? Final Four? I would be happy with a Sweet 16 game and anything past that is gravy.

What teams are NIT bound? K-State? lol

• @drgnslayr said in March Madness: Seedings? My advice... plant wheat!:

Looking like we may be a 2-seed. Does anyone have a problem with this? To be honest, I’m glad if we stay off that top line because I’m lacking confidence in March this year.

Who are your picks for “chip teams?” Teams with the biggest chip. My chip teams are the Zags, Duke, Texas Tech.

Are we a Sweet 16 team? Final Four? I would be happy with a Sweet 16 game and anything past that is gravy.

What teams are NIT bound? K-State? lol

I’m with you. - -I don’t feel we are a # 1 seed. - -I don’t feel like we deserve a # 1 seed. - -Again like you this team can be good - -even very good a few times – BUT there are times when we have been bad.

Tell you what sticks out to me that is going to be our un doing this year in the Tourney : - - We have a problem with scoring droughts - -some times long extended scoring droughts. - - # 2 we are to loose with the ball & the thing with this is A LOT of these TO’S are unforced. Just flat ass dribble the ball off our foot - insane bad passes - – forced passing - - # 3 - - if w run into a tall athletic front line - - we are in trouble ( Example - -does Kentucky come to mind ) - -I think Sweet 16 is about the ceiling for this team. - -I think we have become TO DEPENDANT on Oach - and teams are starting to guard him differently and some of Bill’s on floor combinations are not the best. - -Who is gonna score in these situations. Then lastly our defense is going to end up costing us - w have been terrible all year except on rare occassion, this in the Tourney will be the end of the road for us

K/State isn’t going to ANY TOURNEY - -their fans are hoping they don’t go to any tourney - -& Bruce’s time at K/ State time is history I think. - -A lot of buzz about him being out. - -Fitz Gerald the K/State beat writer sure feels it is & feels like it needs to be. - -Plus their room is just blowing up that it should be over

• @drgnslayr UK looks legit. Hate to say it, but they are a complete team and athletic AF.

I definitely want the 1 seed. History just says it is a better path. A decent chance to play a 16, 9, and 12 seed before you get to the elite 8.

The 1 seed is still in play imo. This week matters. I think the #1 seeds end up being Zags, Zona, B12 Tourney champ (providing it is one of KU/Baylor) and the SEC tourney champ (providing it is one of UK/Auburn).

• Baylor could get beat before they get to finals, so could we😡

• We are as deserving as Baylor, Auburn or Kentucky. Hard to find anyone more deserving aside from Gonzaga and Arizona. All will come down to the conference tournament winners.

Self hasn’t made it past the first weekend as worse than a 1-seed since 2012, so really wouldn’t mind being a 1-seed at all. Win in KC and we probably will land the third overall 1 seed, ending up in Chicago for the regional. Just want to avoid the East and potentially playing Nova at home.

• @kcmohawk

It’s impossible for us to go into the tournament as a sleeper team… but it sure would be preferred. The higher we are rated, the more we have a target on our backs and this team is vulnerable to most teams that come in jacked up to play us. Just my opinion…

• If we are a 2 seed, I hope Gonzaga is the 1 seed in our bracket. I’m afraid those buzzards are going to slip UCONN in as a 7 seed just to jack with us in the 2nd round.

• My feelings:

Gonzaga will get #1 in the West region whereas KU will most likely be #2 seed in the Midwest.

If KU wins Big 12 tournament it will get #1 seed, most likely in the Midwest.

• Something to chew on from the other board.

Self in the first round with 4-5 days prep- 15-2

Self in the 2nd round with 1 day prep- 10-5

Self in the Sweet 16 with 4-5 days prep 8-2

Self in the Elite 8 with 1 day prep 3-5

Self in the Final 4 with week prep 2-1

Self in the Championship with 1 day prep 1-1

Notice a pattern?

• @BeddieKU23 This is a testament to what a great coach he is when he has time to prepare.

• On the other hand I hope that he has been doing some self evaluation on how to improve this pattern.

This is where I think he also needs more help from his assistants, greater in depth evaluation, scouting and strategy on potential round 2 / elite 8 opponents.

• 83% win rate with time to prep. 56% on the 1 day turnaround.

• @BeddieKU23 We’ve had some very unfortunate losses in the E8. The Michigan game still bothers me.

• I would like to see comparative numbers from other coaches with at least 15 tourney appearances and, say, at least 5 Regional finals.

• @Jethro I design heating and air systems. After 24 years, I can do it in one day as opposed to a couple of weeks when I first started. Self should be able to coach on a moment’s notice. My opinion.

• Also, if KU only has one day to prepare, that means the other team does, too. So there’s no difference in prep time. It comes down to the ability (and willingness) to make adjustments when Plan A doesn’t work after a short prep time.

• When we can’t shoot threes very well and the other team can we are likely toast. We can survive for a bit but if the other team scores inside too we are burnt toast. These are tourney ready teams so high turnovers, a weakness, and missing three foot shoots, another weakness , lets any team stay with us. Bottom line is we will need to play like a championship team or else.

• @drgnslayr

Being a one seed we were being atop a loaded bracket and maybe meeting #2 Kentucky in the elite 8. A two seed we were in a somewhat easier bracket and likely meeting one seeded Auburn in the elite 8.

• @mayjay

Ask and you shall receive. You really made me work for this one

Mark Few

First Round- 18-3: 2nd Round- 10-8 : Sweet 16- 5-6 : Elite 8- 2-3 : Final 4- 2-0 : Finals- 0-2

Game Prep- 73%

1 day turnaround- 48%

Calipari (UK only)

First Round- 9-0 : 2nd Round- 8-1 : Sweet 16- 7-1 : Elite 8- 4-3 : Final 4- 2-0 : Finals- 2-0

Game Prep- 85%

1 day turnaround- 66%

Ratface K

First Round- 30-4 : 2nd Round- 24-6 : Sweet 16- 15-9 : Elite 8- 12-3 : Final 4- 9-3 : Finals- 5-4

Game Prep- 77%

1 day turnaround - 75%

Jay Wright

First Round- 12-3 : 2nd Round- 7-5 : Sweet 16- 4-3 : Elite 8- 3-1 : Final 4- 2-1 : Finals- 2-0

Game Prep- 72%

1 day turnaround- 66%

Izzo

First Round- 17-6 : 2nd Round- 14-3 : Sweet 16- 10-4 : Elite 8- 7-3 : Final 4- 2-5 : Finals- 1-1

Game Prep- 65%

1 day turnaround- 75%

• @BeddieKU23 Thanks! The numbers really look like everyone goes down without as much prep…except Izzo. Maybe he prepares for the Sat/Sun games during the week rather than Thurs/Fri games?

• @mayjay I agree. Very good point.

• @justanotherfan Yes! We all know he has the ability. Sometimes his stubbornness costs us games.

• Well got to find another way to try and watch the game. - -Dam Snow has caused total signal loss - - NOT TV period. - -Anybody have any ideas ? - -Would we still be on ESPN Plus maybe ? - -Anybody

• @jayballer67 If you have internet you can use the ESPN App and log in using your cable provider. That’s how I watch just about every game.

• @benshawks08 said in March Madness: Seedings? My advice... plant wheat!:

@jayballer67 If you have internet you can use the ESPN App and log in using your cable provider. That’s how I watch just about every game.

ya I have internet. -So I just type ESPN.com then what do I do buddy ?

• @jayballer67 Obviously you have internet if you are posting here. Oops.

• @jayballer67 The easiest way I have found is to go to “Scores” under NCAAM. You can then see the games that are underway and there should be a “Watch” button next to a game if it’s televised. Click that and it should take you through the steps to log in using your cable provider.

• @jayballer67 Try getting the Texas TCU game on right now to play to test it out.

• @jayballer67 If you are on your phone or some other mobile device you may have to download the ESPN App.

@jayballer67 The easiest way I have found is to go to “Scores” under NCAAM. You can then see the games that are underway and there should be a “Watch” button next to a game if it’s televised. Click that and it should take you through the steps to log in using your cable provider.

Is there a cost on that buddy ?

• @jayballer67 Not if you already pay for cable. How do you normally watch games?

@jayballer67 Not if you already pay for cable. How do you normally watch games?

Direct TV buddy I have ALL the ESPN channels

• @jayballer67 So yeah it should work. Just pick Direct TV when it asks for your provider and use whatever log in you have set up for your Direct TV account stuff.

• @BeddieKU23

Bravo for your post! I’m surprised Few dropped off so much on a 1-day turnaround. He typically has his troops so well-prepared. Maybe he’s gone far without having the top athletes because they were so prepared, but only having a day brought them down to earth on performance. I don’t know…

• @drgnslayr

The 2nd round was his achilles early in his career and they had high seeds as he was building the program up.

• @BeddieKU23

Thanks dude!

• Bruce Weber is threatening to not cut his hair until cheaters stop cheating?

• @jayballer67 said in March Madness: Seedings? My advice... plant wheat!:

@benshawks08 said in March Madness: Seedings? My advice... plant wheat!:

@jayballer67 Not if you already pay for cable. How do you normally watch games?

Direct TV buddy I have ALL the ESPN channels

I use Youtube TV as my alternative to cable and satellite. It’s about 65 bucks.

• We are the top team on the conference in scoring, defense scoring, scoring margin, fg%, and 3% but not In rebounds or rebounding margin. And wins!

• It also looks like the only change in one or two seeding will come from, KU, UK, Duke or Baylor?

• @Zabudda said in March Madness: Seedings? My advice... plant wheat!:

It also looks like the only change in one or two seeding will come from, KU, UK, Duke or Baylor?

My guess is that the tournament champions get #1s and the losers get 2s, with Duke falling behind UK and KU/Baylor if all three win their tournament.

• @justanotherfan said in March Madness: Seedings? My advice... plant wheat!:

@Zabudda said in March Madness: Seedings? My advice... plant wheat!:

It also looks like the only change in one or two seeding will come from, KU, UK, Duke or Baylor?

My guess is that the tournament champions get #1s and the losers get 2s, with Duke falling behind UK and KU/Baylor if all three win their tournament.

Makes perfect sense! But this IS the NCAA lol.

• So what is our hope now? Are we merely hoping to stay out of the same bracket as Kentucky? If Arizona goes down in their next game and their PG is out for the tournament… do they bounce from the top line? And then let’s say we win the B12 tourney and Kentucky wins the SEC tourney… can we see the possibility of both teams making that top line?

What do you all think… should we want to win today?

• @drgnslayr We should always want to win. Every time we can. That doesn’t mean we can’t find silver linings in a loss, but those are never better than a win.

• I am still adamant that getting a one seed is important and likely if we just tcob

• The higher the seed, the easier the path, so logically you would always want the highest seed. However, seeding also sets the expectation.

I’m always happiest when our performance exceeds expectations. When you’re the 1 seed, you are expected to reach the Final 4. If you don’t, your season is a disappointment. At least, that’s the perception.

I would have been pretty happy if we had won the NCAA tournament in 2020. We had the best team, and should have won it all if the tournament hadn’t been cancelled. But nothing beats the pure joy of a 6-seed advancing all the way and winning the whole thing (e.g., 1988 Danny and the miracles). Expectations were pretty low that year. We had a flawed team, and lost 3 times at home, so the run through the tournament was truly unbelievable. Winning it all when you are expected to is pretty cool, but doesn’t come close to the rapturous delight from that kind of miracle run.

So I will always want to be the highest seed, but if we have a few hiccups during the season that hurt our seeding in the tournament and lowers expectations, that translates to less despair if we lose in the tourney, and greater joy when we win.

• I am quite the opposite! I enjoy the season regardless of the tournament. Watching 35 or so (well, 27 or so, thanks for nothing, ESPN+) games gives me lots of exposure to these guys who work so hard. Different personalities, different ambitions, different talent, but they all rep KU so well. Fun to see the crowd get excited for the walk-ons or Mitch’s 6th year breakthrough, fun to see would-be pros making Och’s huge strides.

I might be disappointed in a tournament result, but there’s no way it represents an entire season.

• “Looking like we may be a 2-seed.” WRONG!

“Who are your picks for “chip teams?” Teams with the biggest chip. My chip teams are the Zags, Duke, Texas Tech.”

PROBABLY WRONG, at least with Duke and TT.

I’m the greatest at jinx!

• @tundrahok said in March Madness: Seedings? My advice... plant wheat!:

The higher the seed, the easier the path, so logically you would always want the highest seed. However, seeding also sets the expectation.

Not necessarily in regards to the top 4 seed lines. Those 16 teams are seeded 1-16 and shipped off to the closest region possible. The only exceptions are when the #1 overall seed and #5 overall seed would be in the same region, then the #5 overall seed gets shipped elsewhere. Right now, it’s looking pretty likely that KU will end up with Kentucky as their 2 seed in Chicago because Chicago will be the closest regional to each team. It doesn’t matter that KU is probably going to be the #3 overall seed and Kentucky the #5 overall seed.

• I’m thinking it might be a big 10 school as the #2 in our region. Possibly the loser of the Purdue / Iowa game, assuming the winner gets the fourth #1 seed. Both are high quality. Then there’s Illinois that won the regular season. Not sure what to make of them. Always possible the committee rewards them for that accomplishment more than the loser of the tournament.

I think the SEC loses its #1 seed by virtue of Auburn and KY early exit in their tourney… but what do I know.