Less than 1 week until game action!!

• Time to spark up some discussions about the season starting this Sunday with the exhibition game against Illinois. Certainly an interesting game to start out with. Illinois has a pair of really good players and an experienced roster. Not a cupcake game by any means.

Who starts along the 4 known (Hunter, KJ, Juan, Kev)?

I’m going with Elmarko. Options are limited and with Furphy dealing with an injury seems like the smart bet here.

• I haven’t heard if someone is televising but I’d imagine so. The thing is, I will be in Zion National Park and so for once, something more important than a KU game on TV is happening!

Anytime it’s Illinois I am more interested than usual because of it being my home state and I used to be a Illini fan. Be interesting to me to see this years version of the Illini.

• @wissox We were in Zion in late June. You definitely will get some interesting weather this time of year. If you haven’t been there before, I will just recommend making sure you bring food in with you because the Visitors Center has nothing but a couple vending machines. That, and get there early…and enjoy every second of that spectacular park!

• @wissox said in Less than 1 week until game action!!:

I haven’t heard if someone is televising but I’d imagine so. The thing is, I will be in Zion National Park and so for once, something more important than a KU game on TV is happening!

Anytime it’s Illinois I am more interested than usual because of it being my home state and I used to be a Illini fan. Be interesting to me to see this years version of the Illini.

It shows on my KU Basketball Schedule off my computer that the game will be shown on the Big 10 Network.

• Hmm, tough call on last starter. We may need Elmarko to spell Dajuan, so maybe he comes in off the bench? Timberlake fills the last spot. We’re gonna need a decent shooter on the floor … assuming Hunter won’t take too many in our offense.

• @rockchalkjayhawk

Yeah Nick could start as well. I considered the shooting and experience vs 5 star freshman with the upside. I do think Elmarko will start, offseason intel on him was positive. I get the sense with the Morris departure that Nick & Parker will be used in those sub rotations to bring in experienced players since we don’t have anyone else with experience to play. Depth is going to be a major issue this season if these two are not average replacement players.

• @wissox we were in Zion the first week of May. Phenomenal! If you have time, the 90-ish mile drive to Bryce Canyon will be a more than worth your while. Just don’t hit a deer like we did…

• With Zion getting 5 million visitors a year, (and not dog friendly) it’s a bit overcrowded these days. Bryce is getting 2 million now too. But they are both pretty cool. Goblin Valley is worth a visit if you have time too. Utah is like another planet.

• @StLJhawk It’s because of all the Skinwalkers and UAP’s. High Strangeness!

• @StLJhawk There are some Utah state parks that have hardly any visitors and you can hike/hang out with your dog. We hit Dead Horse Point State Park to hike in the Moab are with our pooch in addition to driving through Arches NP. It was incredible and more impressive than Arches, IMO.

Not sure about the area around Zion and Bryce…

• And basketball related, I think Timberlake will be the 5th starter…

• OK Chiefs fans, what is your solution to the overlap with the Illinois game? For me, watching a recorded/delayed game just isn’t the same. So, I’ll have two screens on and see how that works out. That crazy football statistic helps here: during a 3 hour game the active plays only total about 8 min. Oh yeah, and KC is playing Denver so the game could be decided early, but I’ll still watch every play.

• @stoptheflop I have a bigger problem: we will not be home so I have to record both.

I will avoid all news and watch the Chiefs game when I get home, and KU later. Knowing that result is more ok because it is just an exhibition and the real point of watching those is to get to know the players and see how they mesh.

Both will involve my dream…no commercials or halftime blather!

• @mayjay said in Less than 1 week until game action!!:

@stoptheflop I have a bigger problem: we will not be home so I have to record both.

I will avoid all news and watch the Chiefs game when I get home, and KU later. Knowing that result is more ok because it is just an exhibition and the real point of watching those is to get to know the players and see how they mesh.

Both will involve my dream…no commercials or halftime blather!

I swear the best invention ever isn’t electricity, television or computers, it’s the mute button. I avoid all the blather with the mute button. Thank you Robert Adler, who invented the mute button in 1956 while working at Zenith Radio.

• @stoptheflop I get your drift, but…peanut butter.

• Furphy will not play Sunday. He’s now behind a good bit even when he gets back. Self down to 8 guys now although Zach will play in the 2 Exhibitions.

I will be absolutely shocked if our lack of depth doesn’t hurt us especially later in the season.

• @BeddieKU23 said in Less than 1 week until game action!!:

Furphy will not play Sunday. He’s now behind a good bit even when he gets back. Self down to 8 guys now although Zach will play in the 2 Exhibitions.

I will be absolutely shocked if our lack of depth doesn’t hurt us especially later in the season.

why is he not playing ? - And I think you are 100 % right , we know what a grueling season can be in the Big 12 - -really physical and with a really short bench if we have any additional injuries , or just the typical drain from playing such a hard stretch - we will be find for the part maybe even in the middle but come down the stretch and without the starters getting much of a reprieve , no rest it’s going to take it’s toll

• @stoptheflop said in Less than 1 week until game action!!:

OK Chiefs fans, what is your solution to the overlap with the Illinois game? For me, watching a recorded/delayed game just isn’t the same. So, I’ll have two screens on and see how that works out. That crazy football statistic helps here: during a 3 hour game the active plays only total about 8 min. Oh yeah, and KC is playing Denver so the game could be decided early, but I’ll still watch every play.

Jayhawks scrimmage is on TV?

• @rockchalkjayhawk Big 10 Network for Illinois game.

• Kentucky was up by 1 at halftime against an NAIA school tonight. Ended up winning by 23.

• I think Timberlake starts and Elmarko comes off bench and will hopefully provide a spark.

OK Chiefs fans, what is your solution to the overlap with the Illinois game? For me, watching a recorded/delayed game just isn’t the same. So, I’ll have two screens on and see how that works out. That crazy football statistic helps here: during a 3 hour game the active plays only total about 8 min. Oh yeah, and KC is playing Denver so the game could be decided early, but I’ll still watch every play.

If KU had more returning players it would be a dilemma, but there are as many new faces as a Kentucky team. - I’ll watch the chiefs game in its entirety and might watch a replay of the KU scrimmage. With the way this offseason went my main sports allegiance is leaning towards the Chiefs over KU and that’s never been the case for me. - Amazing how one disastrous offseason can taint decades of enjoyment.

Edit - don’t get me wrong. I still only root for two sports teams, just my excitement levels have shifted a bit.

• @rockchalkjayhawk Thank goodness my hulu has the big 10 network. I’ve never watched one thing on it but I’ll certainly watch Coach’s return to the State Farm Center for the first time in 20 years. It may be just an exhibition game, but for me it’s still a must win.

@rockchalkjayhawk Thank goodness my hulu has the big 10 network. I’ve never watched one thing on it but I’ll certainly watch Coach’s return to the State Farm Center for the first time in 20 years. It may be just an exhibition game, but for me it’s still a must win.

Totally. And I’m just as happy to discover YouTube TV has the BIG whatever it’s called network! 🙂

And since I don’t get the Chiefs game out here on the left coast, Jayhawks it is.

• @dylans said in Less than 1 week until game action!!:

@stoptheflop said in Less than 1 week until game action!!:

If KU had more returning players it would be a dilemma, but there are as many new faces as a Kentucky team. - I’ll watch the chiefs game in its entirety and might watch a replay of the KU scrimmage. With the way this offseason went my main sports allegiance is leaning towards the Chiefs over KU and that’s never been the case for me. - Amazing how one disastrous offseason can taint decades of enjoyment.

Edit - don’t get me wrong. I still only root for two sports teams, just my excitement levels have shifted a bit.

I hear ya. I am also a bit weirded out about hoops lately. I’m hoping once the season begins my enthusiasm returns with it.

And when I have two games to watch at the same time, sometimes I very oddly decide which to watch first by realizing which game won’t have a ticker of other scores across the bottom of the screen!

• KU is wearing special Maui themed uniforms for the game tomorrow. They look pretty nice. It’d be cool to see them wearing them in Honolulu also.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Less than 1 week until game action!!:

KU is wearing special Maui themed uniforms for the game tomorrow. They look pretty nice. It’d be cool to see them wearing them in Honolulu also.

This post is no good without pics! 🌊

• I don’t think Coach is going to treat this game as an exhibition game; going for the Illini throats. I fully expect all the majority minutes will go to the starting lineup throughout and no weird, experimental, let’s see what happens lineups. With Kentucky on Nov 14 and Maui starting Nov 20, this preseason No 1 team must be in mid-season form immediately. RC

I don’t think Coach is going to treat this game as an exhibition game; going for the Illini throats. I fully expect all the majority minutes will go to the starting lineup throughout and no weird, experimental, let’s see what happens lineups. With Kentucky on Nov 14 and Maui starting Nov 20, this preseason No 1 team must be in mid-season form immediately. RC

Personally I can’t wait for the inevitable Jamari/Zach/Parker line-up today. 🙂

• @BShark said in Less than 1 week until game action!!:

I don’t think Coach is going to treat this game as an exhibition game; going for the Illini throats. I fully expect all the majority minutes will go to the starting lineup throughout and no weird, experimental, let’s see what happens lineups. With Kentucky on Nov 14 and Maui starting Nov 20, this preseason No 1 team must be in mid-season form immediately. RC

Bill’s clown the fans moment

• @BeddieKU23 I forgot to add Jank in that group smh

I’d only expect a Zack/Parker/Jamari/Jank/Cassidy line up if the same refs we had yesterday officiate this game and foul out all the starters.

• It takes me a good bit to get into basketball anymore, I feel like the season gets earlier every year. Thanksgiving is when it really starts to me. Will probably watch some of todays scrimmage

• I’m excited to see the Maui Uni’s. I think I’m one the few posters here who liked the sunflower uni’s last year. I was ready for KU basketball when KU played in PR. I’ll be rooting for an Illini butt kicking tonight.

• I think an exhibition is different than a scrimmage?

• @stoptheflop Think you may end up disappointed by how Self handles this “game”. We will have to see but I can’t imagine him handling it like a real game with tight rotations.

• Compare it to the Mizzou exhibition game.

@stoptheflop Think you may end up disappointed by how Self handles this “game”. We will have to see but I can’t imagine him handling it like a real game with tight rotations.

Oh, I won’t be disappointed no matter how Coach chooses the lineups. I really enjoy the start of the season. I will miss playing a small Kansas college this year.

• We still play ft hays state.

@BShark said in Less than 1 week until game action!!:

@stoptheflop Think you may end up disappointed by how Self handles this “game”. We will have to see but I can’t imagine him handling it like a real game with tight rotations.

Oh, I won’t be disappointed no matter how Coach chooses the lineups. I really enjoy the start of the season. I will miss playing a small Kansas college this year.

We still do one of those.

• Like the chiefs and Jayhawks are having a contest on whom can play worse

• The uniforms deserved a better outcome.

• Gotta tell ya, I’m disappointed in the outcome of the exhibition game. I thought Juan would play better. Timberlake did little. Missed free throws again. I’m losing my hope for the Maui classic and not thinking g the Kentucky game will be a win. I hope I’m wrong but HCBS has a lot of work to do.

What am I missing?

• @Gorilla72 effort and chemistry?

• We looked better in PR.

• @Gorilla72

Oh yeah it was disappointing.

This wasn’t your normal exhibition game, and the crowd made it feel like a real road environment.

We kept it vanilla on offense though. The defensive effort was probably where Self should be most concerned if he’s taking anything out of that. It was a good gauge to see where they in a setting that was disadvantageous for them.

I would expect better play in a week, we have a few tighteners before Kentucky and Maui. I don’t think we’ll see them look like a perceived #1 anytime soon. Not a fair ranking for this group.

• @BeddieKU23 Yeah we tried several things defensively. Some alright but mostly bad with Hunter. We learned that we can’t hedge with Hunter at all and that KJ is cheeks on the perimeter. The myth of KJ’s defense because of one play as a freshman is one of the weirdest things with the KU fan base.

• @BShark

You can clearly see why Hunter is still in college, defensively. I hope that he improves on that end, the hedging was not good. KJ had some lapses defensively as well. Bill usually finds a way to mold em

• @BeddieKU23 said in Less than 1 week until game action!!:

@BShark

You can clearly see why Hunter is still in college, defensively. I hope that he improves on that end, the hedging was not good. KJ had some lapses defensively as well. Bill usually finds a way to mold em

Yeah I think we will mostly drop coverage him going forward. Maybe play some zones though I am sure Bill hates that.

• @BShark

Think we got a better shot at seeing KJ shoot 40% from 3 then Bill playing zone. But yeah those two need major work on that end in their roles. Elmarko is another that was beaten too much for comfort but that’s expected at this stage from him