Gonzaga?

• There’s ever leagues reaching out to them besides the big 12

• Would love to have the Zags in the B12. Make them earn their #1 seed for a change.

• @JAYHAWKFAN214 said in Gonzaga?:

There’s ever leagues reaching out to them besides the big 12

The talks with the big 12 much more serious, for one they have wanted these discussions put out publicly. The have been looking at other league’s as being from the Mountain West they are losing one of the Serious opponents that is in that league - - - Brigham Young coming to Big 12 - -leaving the Mountain West they thinking about that.

It would be a huge bonus for the Big 12.- -If Gonzaga joined we would now have the top 4 teams rated by Ken Pom. - -would make a dominant BB league even that much stronger. , Like has been said I’m sure that the new Commish has reached out to SEVERAL teams convesation about future expansion.

One thing is for sure our new commish is following through when he said the BIG 12 is NOT going to stand still

• @Jethro said in Gonzaga?:

Would love to have the Zags in the B12. Make them earn their #1 seed for a change.

Would also make a dominant league even that much stronger - -Classic match ups Tex Tech /Gonzaga – Baylor /Gonzaga - - KU / Gonzaga imagine the TV ratings , we would have 3 different time zones - - help recruiting

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Gonzaga?:

Yikes no thx https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1587913434292957184?s=46&t=IplQeKGNxzQwv8VTCPkKPA

Hard disagree, I’d take them in a heartbeat.

• The only way it makes any sense is if they took a drastically lower payout than the other members, or were some kind of add on that didn’t affect the other payouts. The economic value just isn’t that great.

• @FarmerJayhawk In the Athletic’s take, it was pointed out in a few comments that this was the first time in all the realignments that a P5 conference seems to be looking at a basketball-only school as worth adding in its own right.

The only way it makes any sense is if they took a drastically lower payout than the other members, or were some kind of add on that didn’t affect the other payouts. The economic value just isn’t that great.

Gonzaga is a TV draw, Fox is getting ready to join the mix for Big 12 basketball games which means a separate contract so I don’t think Gonzaga is going to diminish revenue at all.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 I don’t think they’re worth $35m, or even close to the number it would take to make everyone whole. They’d have to take a really small payout to make it worth it for the other members.

@Texas-Hawk-10 I don’t think they’re worth $35m, or even close to the number it would take to make everyone whole. They’d have to take a really small payout to make it worth it for the other members.

Of course they’re not getting 35 million because they aren’t bringing they’re football team to the Big 12. Football and basketball have separate media rights deals and Gonzaga increases the basketball side of the Big 12’s media deals so they do add value to every other school’s payouts.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 it’s all one contract. Fox and ESPN bought all the rights and will split both football and basketball. https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Breaking-News/2022/10/Big-12-renews-media-deal-ESPN-Fox.aspx

@Texas-Hawk-10 it’s all one contract. Fox and ESPN bought all the rights and will split both football and basketball. https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Breaking-News/2022/10/Big-12-renews-media-deal-ESPN-Fox.aspx

It has verbiage that allows the parties to add additional revenue as the B12 adds teams. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be going after the 4 corner schools.

• PASS. No thx.

• @Jethro right. Worth noting it only applies to current P5 teams, so the networks would have to negotiate a separate payout structure if Gonzaga joined. I can’t imagine it would keep each slice of the pie at least as large as this deal. https://sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Newsletter-College/2022/11/01.aspx

• So how many tv sets would watch Gonzaga/ Kansas, Gonzaga/Houston, Gonzaga/Baylor? This is Marketing 101.

• @Jethro said in Gonzaga?:

So how many tv sets would watch Gonzaga/ Kansas, Gonzaga/Houston, Gonzaga/Baylor? This is Marke

DUH - - - - let’s see now- - – ummm - – ummm— ummmm - - ok I got it — - -A BUNCH ! ! 1 —can you imagine - - Classic match ups.

1st of all you would have your fans of these Schools Baylor - - Gonzaga - - Ku - -Texas Tech - - Houston. Then even for the Casual Basketball junkie that just enjoys being able to kick back and watch some really good ball from the Nations top Conference - -it would be rocking. - -would be a huge pick up

• A few observations…

This sounds like a win-win for both Gonzaga and the B12. Another national contender joins the conference, while the Zags get a raised national profile on TV. Just from a purely selfish point of view, I’d love to see KU play a game that’s within driving distance for me, even if it’s only once every two years.

The (nearly) coast-to-coast spread of the conference over four time zones now begs that it be split into Western and Eastern divisions, though your guess is as good as mine which teams go where.

Of course, then there’s the question of whether they join for basketball only, or all sports. Sort of the reverse of Notre Dame in the ACC for everything but football. Basketball aside (admittedly a BIG aside), I can’t imagine that players on Gonzaga’s teams in non-revenue sports would be too enthusiastic about all the jet lag involved. (Have fun on those flights from Spokane to Orlando…or Cincinnati…or Morgantown.)

• @jayballer67 said in Gonzaga?:

@Jethro said in Gonzaga?:

So how many tv sets would watch Gonzaga/ Kansas, Gonzaga/Houston, Gonzaga/Baylor? This is Marke

DUH - - - - let’s see now- - – ummm - – ummm— ummmm - - ok I got it — - -A BUNCH ! ! 1 —can you imagine - - Classic match ups.

1st of all you would have your fans of these Schools Baylor - - Gonzaga - - Ku - -Texas Tech - - Houston. Then even for the Casual Basketball junkie that just enjoys being able to kick back and watch some really good ball from the Nations top Conference - -it would be rocking. - -would be a huge pick up

It also makes me think that Oregon St and Washington are being considered as well as the 4 corners.

• @Jethro this is a no brainer. Any fan against it is an idiot

• @Jethro not nearly enough to make the other 12 schools whole financially.

• @kuballin10 said in Gonzaga?:

@Jethro this is a no brainer. Any fan against it is an idiot

I’m with ya - -I think if we have the chance to add them - -we ADD THEM. I dunno maybe just have some people a little afraid of more stiff competition

• @jayballer67 not me. What are Zag’s basketball media rights worth? $5m per year maybe? That would mean each Big 12 team would take a $2 million haircut just to play Gonzaga once per year, plus the added expense of traveling non-revenue sports to Spokane. No thanks

• Huggy not thrilled. He said zags would have a tough time playing in our league😂

@jayballer67 not me. What are Zag’s basketball media rights worth? $5m per year maybe? That would mean each Big 12 team would take a $2 million haircut just to play Gonzaga once per year, plus the added expense of traveling non-revenue sports to Spokane. No thanks

I’m 10000 % in - -you

@FarmerJayhawk said in Gonzaga?:

@jayballer67 not me. What are Zag’s basketball media rights worth? $5m per year maybe? That would mean each Big 12 team would take a $2 million haircut just to play Gonzaga once per year, plus the added expense of traveling non-revenue sports to Spokane. No thanks

I’m 10000 % in - -just helps recruiting in the 3 time zones - -they take a reduced payout for years - -just like Memphis & San Diego St - tossing huge numbers our way trying to become members - -ready for the challenge

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in Gonzaga?:

Huggy not thrilled. He said zags would have a tough time playing in our league😂

LOL love to see them try

• @jayballer67 I’m cool with playing them almost yearly in non-con. Shoot, I know there’s been a ton of interest there in the past. Would the Zags take a low enough payout to keep everyone whole? Idk. That would be my starting point. If they want a penny more it’s a no go

• 2 Dec 27 1962 babies in the same conference??? THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

@jayballer67 I’m cool with playing them almost yearly in non-con. Shoot, I know there’s been a ton of interest there in the past. Would the Zags take a low enough payout to keep everyone whole? Idk. That would be my starting point. If they want a penny more it’s a no go

Gonzaga would never get the full share because they wouldn’t be bringing their football program up to the Big 12. They would get the value of the basketball side of the TV deal and that’s the number that matters and Gonzaga absolutely increases that value to the Big 12.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 exactly - well said

• I am glad we have lots of expert opinions here to help us understand this, but like an insanity case in court the opinions are all over the place!

• @Texas-Hawk-10 they don’t have football anyway. Nor are the media rights itemized by sport. They’re done by T1 - T3. In short, tier 1 games are picked up for prime slots by the broadcast networks and ESPN. The next tranche of games (tier 2) gets punted to ESPN2, U, FS1, BTN, etc. T3 gets kicked to streaming.

I doubt Gonzaga has that many T1 games just because of their time zone. So we’re looking at mostly T2 and T3 games. How much value is really there? What kind of payout would they want vs. what keeps every other member whole? They would have to take less than their assessed value due to the added travel expenses for almost every other school, because the reporting is they’d bring every sport, not just men’s basketball. Their T3 rights are basically worthless, unlike ours, which were the 2nd most valuable in the league pre-OUT, and are most valuable now. They don’t have the one T3 football game, and their non-revenue sports are mostly awful and don’t have any following because they don’t have many alumni. When factoring all that in, I don’t see how it would work for either side. I guess if they want to take a 10% share, fine?

• @FarmerJayhawk All talks are a significantly lower payout to Gonzaga due to no football and their reduced earning potential. Crazy that as horrid as KU football has been and likely will continue to be (Lance is great, but he’s at most a 10 year blip) it has more value than basketball.

As for Huggy - Gonzaga played half the big twelve a couple years ago and whooped us all! Lol. They would do fine.

• @dylans said in Gonzaga?:

@FarmerJayhawk All talks are a significantly lower payout to Gonzaga due to no football and their reduced earning potential. Crazy that as horrid as KU football has been and likely will continue to be (Lance is great, but he’s at most a 10 year blip) it has more value than basketball.

As for Huggy - Gonzaga played half the big twelve a couple years ago and whooped us all! Lol. They would do fine.

@dylans said in Gonzaga?:

@FarmerJayhawk All talks are a significantly lower payout to Gonzaga due to no football and their reduced earning potential. Crazy that as horrid as KU football has been and likely will continue to be (Lance is great, but he’s at most a 10 year blip) it has more value than basketball.

Ya Gonzaga would do well, like is reported reduced payout - -read an article off their site today talking bout how even though football is what makes things go saying would be vey interesting to se exactly how much Gonzaga in the Big 12 would move the TV needle - -Bottom line it would move it just fine. - The advantages for the Big 1 picking up another time zone improves recruiting a great deal getting us more into West coast kids even further- -just improves the dominance of the league. - Just feel the positives out eeigh the negatives by some amount

• The difference between a marketing B12 commissioner and a caretaker commissioner will be stark. I think we’ll see the B12 in a lot of areas that would’ve been unthinkable a few years ago. Gonzaga is one example- it wouldn’t have even been considered under Bowlsby.

• I just don’t want to be checking the schedule and reading KU at Gonzaga, game time 10:00 Central time like on a Monday night or something.

• @wissox

Bingo!

• @wissox said in Gonzaga?:

I just don’t want to be checking the schedule and reading KU at Gonzaga, game time 10:00 Central time like on a Monday night or something.

If we do expand like sounds pretty likely at some point and don’t really think that far off. - -If we end up with the 4 corner Schools Arizona – -Arizona State - -Colorado --& Utah - -your gonna get that same thing Gonzaga or not. - -So if were gonna do it with Arizona then for sure might as well with Gonzaga

• @jayballer67 @BeddieKU23 Already gonna have to do that on occasion for BIG games but if I have to lose sleep I will!

• Mercy - - Are we redy to watch Gunner Gundy ? - -Watch next time out - -your gonna see him

• @wissox - I would hope the Gonzaga start times would be 6:00pm PST for home games (8:00 CST). Remember too, their local time could be 5:00pm PST (4:00 for East Coast games) for away games. Interesting problem.

• @jayballer67 said in Gonzaga?:

@wissox said in Gonzaga?:

I just don’t want to be checking the schedule and reading KU at Gonzaga, game time 10:00 Central time like on a Monday night or something.

If we do expand like sounds pretty likely at some point and don’t really think that far off. - -If we end up with the 4 corner Schools Arizona – -Arizona State - -Colorado --& Utah - -your gonna get that same thing Gonzaga or not. - -So if were gonna do it with Arizona then for sure might as well with Gonzaga

10pm Central start times likely wouldn’t happen very frequently with a KU-Gonzaga or KU-Arizona game because those are marquee match ups that ESPN would want in the 8pm slot which would still be 6pm out west.

• I would welcome the Zags anyday (as long as Few is committed for many more years)! He’s an excellent coach and brings a different approach to the game. It would be good for our league.

• @Arizona and @Gonzaga are pretty tough places to play no matter what the time. I would expect those on Saturdays as much as possible. They would be games of great interest across the country.

Ugh this league is a clown show https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1593078121179537410?s=46&t=KjRmtMYHv8AyLCUphuBZuQ

Look out Farmer – this could actually happen you never know

• Seriously the hardest of passes. Adding a basketball only school from the west coast is DUMB.

• @Kcmatt7 lets hope this tail kicking gives the Big 12 pause. Because you’re right, this makes zero sense.

• @Kcmatt7 said in Gonzaga?:

Seriously the hardest of passes. Adding a basketball only school from the west coast is DUMB.

I’m tellin ya - look out it can very easily happen. Doesn’t matter to me one way or another .Get’s us in all three time zones - more exposure - -but if they don’t get in no sweat at all Still the best Confrence by far

• Zags are consistently a top 10 team

Much like Norte dame in acc for basketball I’d gladly do this for the zags.

How is bringing on a top 10 west coast power in bball a bad thing? We aren’t a football conference and never will be so we need to become THE perennial bball conference which we’ve taken from the acc these last 2-3 years.