Are we happy? UNC?

• I only caught a little of the UNC/Duke game. Mostly the last 2 minutes.

Are we happy it’s UNC on Monday night?

I’m glad… and not only because of the joy of Duke losing.

I think we need Dave for another big performance and I think we matchup better with UNC. Thoughts?

I have to say I like Hubert Davis! And since UNC has always been like a sister school to us (sister… brother?) I’m glad to see Davis coaching them.

Can we stay hot? Yes! I’m so glad this wasn’t just another BAD BALL game! The rims are looking big for us and hopefully will continue to be big.

Aren’t we playing better every game now? Aren’t we peaking at the right time? I feel like this is the element we are usually short on in March but this team just gets better and it is always the team that peaks wins the championship. I will counter that by saying UNC is doing the same.

Any bets on Monday night? I’m keeping my mouth shut because I’m the jinxmaster!

• Yes, I’m quite happy to be playing NC. Manek was never much of a problem for KU when he was at OU. I assume Wilson will draw most of the defense on Manek. Manek shoots 38% from 3, so KU must do a better job than we did against Villy. Love is playing great; I hope Harris draws most of the defense on Love and steps up like he did against Gillespie. But, Gillespie still went 5/8 from 3, so KU must defend better. In the second half, it seemed our guards were getting caught in the lane when V was able to pass out of the lane for open 3s. Big Dave vs. 6’10" Bacot promises to be the battle to watch. Bacot doesn’t shoot the 3, so Dave should be in his element on defense. Query: Why isn’t Christian driving the ball? That’s when he is at his best.

• I want to give a shout-out to Villanova.

Jay Wright is legit. He always produces teams capable of winning it all and he does it without having a #1 recruit class. Players like Gillespie… are the kind of players I love in college basketball and not just “NBA-lite.”

• @stoptheflop

We were fortunate yesterday that for most of the game, we controlled pace. Like I said before… that pace control is not so much “run and gun” but subtle.

Pace meant moving the ball up court quickly so Nova couldn’t totally set. Pace meant our guys having lots of motion on offense and rapid ball movement, creating open shots from the perimeter and down low with Dave.

And our pace on offense impacted Nova’s offense because it also helped our guys have more energy on defense. And it put pressure on Nova to score… making them try too hard instead of flow.

We only had brief moments where Nova controlled pace… and when they did, we paid for it dearly and looked clunky on offense.

Our big focus on Monday night has to be controlling Bacot on the boards. His dominance on Duke was impressive.

Another area we have to be focused on is open court defense. We like to run but so does UNC. We have to get back quick and defend.

If we control possessions with good rebounding and low TOs… and defend against the break well… we should have a good night!

If we win on Monday it will be because everyone steps up. Look how everyone focused on Och and DMac’s big point contribution yesterday. But what about guys like Wilson? 11 points, 12 rebounds, 5 assists and a block? What about CB? He looked off this game and then suddenly he put his imprint on the game towards the end with a drive/score and then two dagger treys? Our guys are staying confident and are playing in the moment! What happened two plays ago is irrelevant. So if they miss a shot they stay focused, confident, and ready to shoot again!

• Ya, I’ actually happier that we are playing North Carolina then Duke. I just feel Duke was a match up nightmare .Mark Williams very legit enforcer just afraid He would have neutralized Dave. The you have their lottery stud can’t even remember his name just bad match ups. BUT they out so don’t have to worry

I think our key concerns with NC is Bacot & Love and to a little less extent R J Davis. - -Like has been said although Manick has been playing better I think he can be contained , while at Oklahoma didn’t eve hurt us THAT bad. - Gonna be a hell of a game -

real key is hope our 3 pt shot hasn’t dried up from this game got to really get after them - show them some big 12 toughness on defense - so them the grind we had to go throug for the Season, take care of the ball and limit their breakouts - -could be a real track meet, then that becomes who has the deeper bench.- Like our match up better with Dave and Bacot then we would of had having to match up Dave and Williams from Duke. - Just keep playing solid and take our chances - - Toss it up and LET’S DO THIS- -WE GOOD right BShark ?

• I don’t think UNC guards will handle the kind of team defense Kansas plays. If you think you’ve seen Caleb Love put up some awful shots before, just wait until Monday night.

• @BigBad said in Are we happy? UNC?:

I don’t think UNC guards will handle the kind of team defense Kansas plays. If you think you’ve seen Caleb Love put up some awful shots before, just wait until Monday night.

Let’s hope - -I’m ready & I’m not ready lol - -Tomorrow gonna drag hope the wait is worth it. - Just got a feel about this year - it’s right there for the taking - - - - cAN YOU SMELLLLLLLLLLLLLL what the Hawks are cooking ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @drgnslayr interesting stat that I didn’t notice until Jesse posted it on Twitter, the game had the fewest possessions since 2016 yet we still scored 81 point. Just a complete game on the offensive end from everyone. Only Remy never really got in the flow and he still hit a big shot.

https://twitter.com/jessenewell/status/1510449922465746946?s=21&t=JFZHREMjFBlpUqhc7JnnfA

This next game will be so different. Carolina likes to run as much if not more than we do. They give up quite a few runouts on live ball turnovers if we can get in the passing lanes. But their guards are FAST and fearless and take and make tough shots. I hope Baycots ankle recovers quickly because I want to see that matchup with Dave. Two great offensive rebounders who do it purely with want to. Neither are picking balls off the top of the backboard.

• It needs to be mentioned that Jalen Wilson is our Dennis Rodman. Man does he get after rbs. Wilson just has a nose for the ball. 12 rbs against Villanova. CB had an off night rebounding-only 3. Let’s hope CB comes to play Monday by driving the ball to the rim, rebounding and shooting the 3, not just passing it up.

• Here’s the weird part- we scored 81 points. UNC scores 81 points. We’re a 1 seed. UNC is an 8 seed. 8 /1 score 81. I think we will pummel their defense, and will do enough on defense to slow them down enough to win. I think it will be a spectacular game, with KU winning 88-77.

• @benshawks08

Our game with Nova didn’t have a lot of foul calls to stop the clock. Also didn’t have a lot of TOs leading to run outs. We scored so high because we were hot, especially from trey and Dave in the paint!

I imagine Bacot will struggle most on Monday with that ankle because it takes a day or two to face maximum swelling, stiffness, and pain. Having him down, even just a step, makes a huge difference. It is what Big Dave has had to deal with all year! Our over/under stat that might mean the most to a Jayhawk NC could be Wilson… and if he collects 10 or more rebounds!

I think who controls possessions is the winner in this game. So we keep our TOs low and out-rebound them, we will be hard to beat!

Our potential to flow at a good effective speed in the half court should favor us! The question will be, will we do it? I think we will. I hope we will. We only briefly played flat in the half court against Nova. Our guys are playing in the moment and they know what they need to do. Jay Wright mentioned how well we executed. He was right on with that comment!

There is NO MAGIC PLAYER OR STRATEGY for UNC to really disrupt our flow. This should be a key factor. If we lose I don’t see it as the credit of UNC, but we just didn’t get it done.

• 8 fouls against our team was amazing. We rarely finish a half with that few number of fouls. The defense we’ve been playing has been outstanding in this tournament. There were many shots defended at the rim that looked like automatic 2 points and we affected them just enough.

UNC played their huge game yesterday. That makes me hope they don’t recover from the energy spent doing so.

I looked at our tournament history against them and it’s really good. Loss in 57 of course, win in 91, loss in 93, and then 3 more wins, so 4-2 with a 3 game win streak. We had the famous beatdown in 2008 which means nothing, but makes me nervous because the FF beatdown of Marquette in 03 and of UNC in 08 were followed by the Syracuse disaster and the Memphis disaster that of course was saved miraculously.

Our team can score the basketball, but so can theirs. I think the difference becomes that we have enough ability to stop them from scoring that it tips the balance in our favor. We’re due for a championship says no one except Jayhawk fans. UNC’s 2 since we won removes some of the pressure from them I suppose and increases it a little for us.

All this to say I think we win, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t, and to be honest, after watching this team a month ago losing to TCU, barely beating them a few days later, losing to Baylor in ugly fashion I wasn’t that optimistic even after the conference tournament.

• @stoptheflop The rebounding of Wilson and Rodman both are fun to watch. A huge difference in the two is that I would not be afraid to start a conversation with Jalen…

• I am cautiously optimistic about winning Monday night.

1. Our defense works better against the Heels. I don’t think they have played many tough defenses this season. Bill Self was always tough against the North Carolina type of transition offense. When Self was in IL, Roy’s teams had always struggled to score against Self. Of course, KU’s defense owned N. Carolina under Self.
      2.North Carolina’s defense looks rather soft especially with dribble penetration. We have 3 decent players who can drive downhill: CB, Wilson, and Remy. They can totally disrupt the Carolina D. (Ochai can also drive, but he lacks the aggressiveness…same with his shooting.)
    2. The refs. If we get the same crew as the the one did the Villi game, we would own N. Carolina. I think KU was only called for 8 to 10 fouls the whole game against a Villinova offense designed to move, penetrate and draw fouls. It’s incredible. Bill Self’s team, above all else prides itself on playing tough and sometimes physical defense. If the refs are going to let them play, advantage KU.
    3. Hubbie is less experienced. He did a great job this far, but Self has been here before and coaching matters in a pressurized game. Adv. KU. RCJHGKU!!!

• In another KU site I belong to. - - There was a clip of Dave where he stated Gonna get 4 rings : Big twelve ring - -Big twelve Tournament ring , - - Final four Ring - - & NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RING. - -SWEEET. - GO TAKE IT BIG FELLA - -GET SOME

• Just posted

• @BigBad said in Are we happy? UNC?:

Just posted

How young does Jim Nance sound? That is him I assume.

• @bskeet love it!

• @bskeet makes me nervous bringing in external motivators. These guys seem plenty motivated

• They asked me to speak to the team, but I told them, “nope, thanks, but I gots to go teach those children.”

• Just win Baby.

• The talking is over. Time to go get us another title!

I think a big motivator is looking at the banners in AFH and only seeing 3 NCs! This team will be immortalized! And they should be!

We are playing for a title while teams like Duke, who has their entire starting 5 in NBA draft lists is sitting at home, should say enough!

I still think we are an underdog. I still read and listen how Kansas can’t do it!

We don’t need to step up any more than we did on Saturday. We just come out and take care of business! The rims are big… we already know that…

Happy viewing brothers and sisters in here… enjoy the game! Wear your favorite attire… do all your superstitious pregame things… and surround yourself with people that count because you’ll always remember tonight!

I feel blessed to be back in Kansas and with loved ones watching the game! In 2008, I was in my video studio in Holland, alone, watching it in the early morning. Not this time!

• @drgnslayr Video studio? Sounds like you are a video professional of some sort?

I’m a videographer/editor here

• @drgnslayr

Great post!

• It’s been one heck of a season so far Bucketeers! Thanks to all who make this place great to share our love of KU hoops!

Tonight we battle for that title and hopefully celebrate this incredible team’s achievements

• What an amazing season. It looked pretty grim numerous times. There is not one person that thought we would be favored in the national championship game earlier in the season. I think Remy and Och and Braun go wild. I think Dave gets his. I think we lock them down. I think we blitz them with our best game of the year.

• @Bosthawk

I used to be a sports video editor in MMA.

• @Jethro

I remember our crazy season in 1988. No one gave us a chance! Danny lead the charge with his play and also with his chip!

I think our current team has largely been hiding their chip. They mention it a little… but they aren’t focused on the drama. They just want to go get this done! Truly in “taking care of business” mode!

Win or lose we will remember this group for many reasons!

• On a for reals level, Caleb Love seems like the key individual matchup. That guy has single-handily won the UCLA and Duke games with his big-shot making ability. Harris will probably guard Davis for a majority of this game so it comes down to the Och/CB combo to slow him down. Love can be a very streaky shooter but he’s shown unbelievable confidence in his shot all tournament long. Manek, Bacot, Davis all big time players playing their best ball. When they have needed “that shot” though its been Love. He’s put up 50 3’s in the tourney and made 18 (36%).

As far as team matchup, rebounding is the biggest key. Bacot has been a monster on the boards all season long averaging 16.8 in the tournament which is an insane number. Control the glass and this game will be a lot easier

• @bskeet said in Are we happy? UNC?:

https://twitter.com/KUHoops/status/1510810844308942850?s=20&t=sZHbXzQ3jNRI6WhCGjJSrA

If you scroll down after seeing this clip wit our boy Paul - -had to love a couple of the others # 1 - -is a clip showin Christan draining that HUGE three - like it say showing the angle Christan being the Dog throwin shade like he does Christan pounds his Chest and says - - - - - -Game over Bitch lmao. - - - # 2 was when Och & McCormack And Coach answering questions - -they tell Och - didn’t know if he knew it or not but they were having Och Park day today for him lmao. -the reaction on Dave’s face is priceless tru Kodak moment.

Awesome to se the Truth come in and talk to the players motovation

• We’ll see how healthy Bacot is as well. If he’s really hobbled that’s a huge disadvantage for them

• @approxinfinity said in Are we happy? UNC?:

@bskeet makes me nervous bringing in external motivators. These guys seem plenty motivated

OH but it’s " THE TRUTH " can’t do much better lol

• What is it about this venue. Every team was lighting it up from behind the arc. Way over season averages. The trey helped us get out ahead and helped us hold off Nova. Manek is a problem from deep and why OU didn’t play him much after his freshman year I don’t understand. Manek was from a small town, Harrah OK, about 6000 residents. Braun is from Burlington KS about 2600 people and is in the middle of nowhere more than Harrah. I know from which I speak as Burlington is about 30 miles from my hometown.

• @FarmerJayhawk

It’s a good thing he’s a non factor outside 8 feet from the basket as well.

You can see why their starting 5 has been successful in the tournament. 3 guys make a high volume of 3’s then they have Bacot to do all the dirty work inside. They barely use their bench and they seem to have great chemistry together.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Are we happy? UNC?:

We’ll see how healthy Bacot is as well. If he’s really hobbled that’s a huge disadvantage for them

On ESPN this morning and they were sayin you can bet KU is going to test bacot and thatankle early seeing how his movement is - Personally I don’t think it is going to be that big an issue for Bacot I think he wil be close eo 100 % - -we just go out and beat all healthy come out focused put the hammer down.

• Bacot is going to play as much as he can.

I think its Love that we have to try and neutralize. He had a bad game against Baylor, even fouling out. If he’s guarding Och I say Och should be aggressive early baiting him to foul.

Or as a team we can just make everything again it will be a mute point.

• I think Love & RJ Davis gonna be key

• Och can join Clyde Lovellette and Danny Manning as only Kansas players to be a consensus first-team all-American and a National Champion in the same season. Wilt, Nick Collison, and T-Rob got to the final game. Gooden and Devonte got to the final four.

Legendary!

• Were a 4 point favorite BUT something that kind of caught me a little by surprise - - BPI has us as a 71.9 % chance of winning the game – love my Hawks just seems that might be a pinch high

• @BeddieKU23 said in Are we happy? UNC?:

As far as team matchup, rebounding is the biggest key. Bacot has been a monster on the boards all season long averaging 16.8 in the tournament which is an insane number. Control the glass and this game will be a lot easier

Yes, JW is going to have play the boards hard tonight. In fact, I’ll make a rare prediction and say that he will play a key, if not MOP, role in the game.

• @StLJhawk

Hopefully he is in position to make plays. Manek loves to camp on the perimeter but if there is a lot of long misses you can bet every dollar you own he’s going to get them. We haven’t had a kid board like this since T-Rob

• Please don’t get me wrong guys , I’ve been listening all morning different shows. All seem pretty heavy on KU - -and that’s great - -love the hype , just hope the guys aren’t hearing this and letting it get in their heads, can be a killer and I’m sure Coach is making sure things like that aren’t taking place or trying anyways. -Just got through hearing Stevan A Austin And Coach Seth Greenberg and I like Greenberg and both saying big on KU - talking saying if Bacot is’t healthy it’s going to be really hard cause NC is not deep and have nobody to be able to take Bacots place.

I am ready - -OH I AM READY but still got to place the game N Carolina gonna show up they will play and they will play hard - we just got to come out focused - -high intensity , take care of the ball AND - never never leave Caleb Love- sure he may miss a shot -2-3 shots BUT he gonna keep shootin. - - We just got to start faast -stay fast - -I beleive we will never have a better chance - - we got to grab it. – -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• The CBSSports.com chapter of the biased sports media (Gary Parrish, Norlander, etc) apparently didn’t get the memo. Their predictions are unanimously in favor of KU.

• And, geez Louise, the memo must have gotten eaten by somebody’s dog… Straight from ESPN, the home hive of the KU-hating fraternity, their lead prediction article has Medcalf, Borzolo, Cagaway (sp?), and Lunardi all picking KU, too.

Well, when one bad call is made, we can still raise the usual chorus about biased reffing!

• @jayballer67 said in Are we happy? UNC?:

Were a 4 point favorite BUT something that kind of caught me a little by surprise - - BPI has us as a 71.9 % chance of winning the game – love my Hawks just seems that might be a pinch high

I’d think about that 71.9 % chance of winning this way. In a 10 game series we’d probably win about 7. That seems about right to me. Isn’t anything close to a guarantee but we ARE the better team.

• @Jethro said in Are we happy? UNC?:

What an amazing season. It looked pretty grim numerous times. There is not one person that thought we would be favored in the national championship game earlier in the season. I think Remy and Och and Braun go wild. I think Dave gets his. I think we lock them down. I think we blitz them with our best game of the year.

This is where I am. We get in the flow and stay in the flow. Tonight, it all comes together.

• Couldnt be happier.

• We Are The Champions 💪❤💙

Look at all the former players showing love and respect to not just the institution but the players that came before them and damn happy for those that came after. #Proud #Honor #Glory #RCJH

• Okay, maybe all you bias-detectors are onto something…

I just received a daily email from The Atlantic, received just a bit before 11 this morning. You can see from the screenshot that the lead headline is still pushing UNC’s chances to win an NChamp as an 8 seed.

You can also see that the headline writer/page editor should have perhaps read the article further down on the page about the KU win.

Mea culpa…we DON’T get no respect!

Screenshot_20220405-115448_Email.jpg