Final 4 Picks

• Who’s everybody got? Why? Anyone picking against the Hawks?

I’ll start.

I have Cincinnati (South), Michigan (West), Nova (East), Kansas (Midwest).

• Anyone have a bracket with the locations for each pod on it? The ones I looked at don’t have the sites on them. I’m assuming michigan won’t be in neutral locations in the west.

• approxinfinity said:

Anyone have a bracket with the locations for each pod on it? The ones I looked at don’t have the sites on them. I’m assuming michigan won’t be in neutral locations in the west.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/ncaa/basketball/ncaatourney18/ncaa_bracket.pdf

• @BeddieKU23 thanks

• Well I guess Michigan would face either SD St or Houston in Omaha. Of all the pods only the Midwest seems to have pods that are regionally appropriate. Based on locations, Wichita, Omaha and San Antonio is fantastic for us.

• approxinfinity said:

Well I guess Michigan would face either SD St or Houston in Omaha. Of all the pods only the Midwest seems to have pods that are regionally appropriate. Based on locations, Wichita, Omaha and San Antonio is fantastic for us.

Xavier, for a one seed didn’t get jack. Nashville Tenn, Los Angeles, San Antonio.

• @approxinfinity Our pods are Wichita, Pittsburgh, San Diego and Detroit. Not quite sure how 3 of these relate to the midwest?

South has 3: Tx, Tenn, and NC. East has Pitt and Detroit. West has Boise, so 1 in their region, same as us. So, half the pods are located in their regions generally. (Note: I don’t accept Detroit as midwest despite our win there in the 2008 regional. It is east or the defunct mideast. You can’t have a geographical term based only on the size of the country in 1820. And that is final. Although if everyone disagrees, we have 2 pods in the MW and my rant has less basis.)

Actually, not trying to dispute your comment as much as just noting how scattered lots of teams are on the first weekend even if they move closer to their regions in the second weekend. I wonder if the NCAA has ever calculated the total mileage travelled by the 64 teams for Thurs & Fri games?

• @mayjay I was considering Detroit Midwest, yeah. And I don’t really consider NC south. As it is the heart of ACC country, I consider it east.

• Don’t know if it’s been mentioned in here, but of all the ESPN “experts”, JEFF GOODMAN is the only one taking KU in the Final Four, and he has us winning it all!

• @mayjay They did away with the regional pod system a while back as being a fixed deal. For example, we could have been the #1 in the East, but still be in Wichita for the first few games. There are two, four team groupings in each early round site. So in Wichita you have the KU game, and the 8/9 game. But there is also Michigan/Montana, and Houston/SDSU from the West.

• @BeddieKU23

Nashville is about the best that Xavier could have done. It’s less than 300 miles from Cincinnati. Detroit is slightly closer (about 15 miles difference), but not decidedly so. As the fourth 1, and with all three 1’s east of the Rockies, somebody was going to LA. The other three sites were taken by schools that were closer, so Xavier got the leftovers there. They benefit from not having any powerhouse schools out west. They won’t have to play Arizona in LA, for instance. That’s not a bad tradeoff.

• BeddieKU23 said:

approxinfinity said:

Well I guess Michigan would face either SD St or Houston in Omaha. Of all the pods only the Midwest seems to have pods that are regionally appropriate. Based on locations, Wichita, Omaha and San Antonio is fantastic for us.

Xavier, for a one seed didn’t get jack. Nashville Tenn, Los Angeles, San Antonio.

Wisconsin’s final four years they had to go west for the regional and play Arizona in LA both times, once as a 1 seed, once as a 2 seed. Someone’s always going to have to travel west, but the pods keep them closer to home.

In my analysis of where teams play on the other thread I notice one year Duke was a 1 seed and given a Houston regional. Having lived in the south, I learned how big the South is. Louisiana where we lived is as close or closer to Chicago than Miami. Durham to Houston can’t be done in a day of driving. It’s 1200 miles!

As for FF picks, probably not going to do one this year. (minor rant here) ESPN lets you make a bunch of brackets and I don’t have much interest in competing against someone who makes 6 or 8 brackets and then brags when they get the best bracket! Just a preference really.

• @approxinfinity South starts 60 miles south of DC, and goes straight down to hell the further you go!

• @wissox

Good Stuff.

I only did one ESPN bracket so far, might do just a 2nd. There’s other sites like CBS, yahoo etc that I believe you get just 1 chance.

Was just wondering what everyone else thought for the F4… Really interesting matchup possibilities.

• Arizona, Duke, Villanova, UNC.

KU’s road is tough. But Bill has both underachieved and overachieved the tourney.This feels like a year he overachieves.

• Kcmatt7 said:

Arizona, Duke, Villanova, UNC.

KU’s road is tough. But Bill has both underachieved and overachieved the tourney.This feels like a year he overachieves.

You know you don’t wanna see Coach K in another F4!

• @BeddieKU23 I would hate to see all 4 of those teams in the FF lol.

But K especially. Its true. He’s been such a baby these past few years it’s annoying. Top that with how he has handled this Grayson Allen thing and I’ve just lost so much respect for him.

• AZ, Michigan, Villanova and KU in the F4.

• So only 8 teams in the tourney from states west of Kansas…highest seeds are 4. SDSU and Cal State Fullerton are the best two teams in California?

Why even have a West Regional?

• As I understand it, the pods are regional and apply to the first weekend and this is why the locations seem out of whack with the region. The regions themselves kick in for the second weekend and match the assigned regional name.

• DanR said:

AZ, Michigan, Villanova and KU in the F4.

Not bad I agree with 3 of 4 there. Sticking my neck out for Cincinnati matchup wise…

Miller hasn’t proven he can get over the hump and I don’t want him to get to the F4 with a player he potentially paid (over KU) to get.

• The number one overall seed (Virginia) is able to pick their region. A pretty cool bonus that I believe is only a couple years old.

• Virginia just lost their 6th man to injury. I guess he’s pretty important to their team.

• wissox said:

Virginia just lost their 6th man to injury. I guess he’s pretty important to their team.

Super important. 6’7 bouncy ball that has a 7’4 wingspan so he plays closer to a 6’10/6’11 player. He had versatility and athletic ability they cannot replace and some offensive skill. Virginia’s chances IMO just tanked!

• @Kcmatt7 When do you think Self has overachieved in the tourney? 2004 and 2012. Twice? Other than that?

• @HighEliteMajor absolutely In 2012. I don’t think there is a question about that one. We had a brutal road and I don’t think anyone expected us, as thin as we were, to make it out of that region. Then to beat a very good Ohio State team in the FF.

There probably isn’t another year, but we know he can do it.

• @Kcmatt7 In fairness to Self, I think we all agree that sometimes we overachieve a bit in the regular season, so our seeding line might be one notch higher because of how incredible Self is in the regular season in the country. Other teams I know do this too, but Self is the best regular season coach. There are years like 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2016 where our losses in the tourney were just tragedies. Possible national championship seasons. Heck, even last season. Maybe this season we get one.

• My Elite 8 picks are Cincy over Arizona, North Carolina over Gonzaga, Kansas over Michigan St. and Purdue over West Virginia.

• With Hunter out for Virginia I find it hard to see them surviving their region. He was very important to their rotation. I’ve seen some articles trying to downplay the loss due to Bennett’s system but he was the premiere athlete on their team that allowed them position flexibility they no longer have. Hunter could guard a teams 5 at 6’7 and he was a great rebounder with his bounce and wingspan.

• I just saw a list on Yahoo ranking all 68 teams. Virginia (list was made before Hunters injury) and Nova were their top 2 then Duke, MSU, and us! It’s the 2nd very similar list I’ve seen. I’m really glad we’re not on the 2 line in this region as that would be a super tough region. But having to play either Duke or MSU is a bit of a break. I don’t think we overlook them like maybe we overlooked our elite 9 opponents the last two years. I think we play that game (and we really should get there) with laser sharp focus. That’s why I’ve got KU in the final four, and of course winning it.

@Texas-Hawk-10 Although I don’t like Cincy, I agree with your other picks.

• @wissox The east was the hardest region to pick for me. Virginia has a habit of flaming out early under Bennett (only 1 Elite 8 appearance) so picking them to lose early is betting on history. Kentucky is an insanely young team and I don’t think they can beat Arizona. I think Arizona’s offense is also going to be too much for Virginia to overcome.

I also have Cincinnati/Tennessee in the other Sweet 16 game. That’s gonna be a street fight and Cincy is playing as good as anybody in the country right now.

The east region is the one I’m least certain about along with KU over Sparty given Self’s historic struggles in the Elite 8 and against Izzo. I’d honestly feel better if we played Duke in the Elite 8.

• Anyone think TT will go very far, if healed?

• @Texas-Hawk-10 A key player for UVA just broke their wrist if you didn’t see that.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 You know what burns me every year in my picks? I undervalue the SEC and then they go and put 3 in the elite 8 when I might have 1 get that far, and I, of course, over value the big12 and big 10. I’ve done the same again. Got all 4 big 10 teams getting to the Sweet 16 which realistically could happen, and I’m gleefully eliminating SEC teams.

• @wissox SEC teams almost always have great athletes. I think that’s the crux of it. I have UK in the FF and Florida in the EE. I won’t be tricked again.

• @BShark I know, still didn’t think they were advancing past Arizona before that.

• BShark said:

@wissox SEC teams almost always have great athletes. I think that’s the crux of it. I have UK in the FF and Florida in the EE. I won’t be tricked again.

That comment irks me a bit. Great athletes abound in all our major conferences. If I had a dollar for every time I heard the comment Wisconsin wins despite not being very athletic. These kids are elite athletes! They’re fast, can jump, have great ball skills, they’re tremendous! That’s all, rant over! Carry on!

• @Crimsonorblue22 If Evans is 100% They can make the elite eight, maybe the final four. If Evans is less than 100% it’ll be tough for them to advance in my opinion.

• @wissox It’s all relative. I would agree though Wisconsin typically has lots of athletic combo forwards. Mitch actually reminds me of a Wisconsin player.

• @wissox if it makes you feel any better KU doesn’t have any elite athletes this year either. Only good athletes, no freak athletes since Josh Jackson, Embiid, and Wiggins. There have been other less skilled freak athletes play for KU too like Kenny Gregory and Keith Freeze (I love Keith, but he wasn’t quiet skilled enough for the nba). Obviously I left a ton out, but my point isn’t history so much as the present- no elite athletes on this years squad and it’s not an insult.

• @dylans I think all DI athletes are elite. I really do. If you compared them to the general population especially, then I think they’re elite. Now I know there’s some degrees of elite, but in general there’s no difference. They’re all athletic enough to run and jump out of the gym, short, tall, makes no difference.

• wissox said:

@dylans I think all DI athletes are elite. I really do. If you compared them to the general population especially, then I think they’re elite. Now I know there’s some degrees of elite, but in general there’s no difference. They’re all athletic enough to run and jump out of the gym, short, tall, makes no difference.

That’s our key difference then. When I talk about athleticism I only mean in context to other D1 or P5 players. Lucas and Silvio for example, not comparable!

• @wissox Then how do you differentiate between them? Measure of skill and personality? If all athletes are elite at even the NCAA level Michael Jordan is only a 6’5” basketball player with an average outside shot.

So I’m saying the top 5% most athletic are elite at each level of play. Like Kenny Gregory who set the combine record for vertical jump - elite athlete, not elitely skilled.

Or at the NBA level an athlete like Blake Griffin (in his healthy prime) is obviously more athletic than most of the other players in the NBA. While they are all great athletes compared to the general populace there is a measure of separation between them in their peer group.

• My Final 4: Virginia, UNC, WVU, KU. I believe we get to beat Roy in the Finals! I really believe the Big 12 was the best basketball conference this year. I am sold on WVU being a great team. If Keenan Edwards for TT is healthy, i can see them making a run at the Elite Eight and play WVU. My pick of Virginia was before the injury. However, i still think they are the best team in the South.

• I have the Big 12 opening 4-3. Texas, OU and KSU being the losers. No Big 12 teams in the S16. I don’t see the NBA talent on these Big 12 teams which matter in March.

• @dylans IDK! Hows that for an answer! I think you nailed it when you said the skills are varied, more than ability to run, jump, etc.

• I have KU, Nova, UNC and Cincy. KU over Roy’s Boys in the final. I always pick with my heart so i never win these brackets.

• @dylans

If you are looking at just athletes independently of basketball, Vick and Cunliffe are generally thought to meet the elite athlete criteria.

• JayHawkFanToo said:

@dylans

If you are looking at just athletes independently of basketball, Vick and Cunliffe are generally thought to meet the elite athlete criteria.

Agree about both of those guys. Seeing those guys in person, they can fly. Vick floats like a bird, and Sam is an amped up freak of nature.

• X, VA, Nova, KU

I fear the east coast bias will get us again and nova will punk us.

X over Nova. I know not popular but i think the east thing in real and hard to overcome.