The Big 12 conference

• Well, seems like a worthy topic now that Colorado appears to be back in the fold.

Who’s next?

I can’t see Oregon joining.

• 2024 teams: Baylor, BYU, Cincinnati, Colorado, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, UCF, West Virginia.

• Jeez, when ya see all those teams listed together, seems like a hot mess.

• The Big13.

Has a dissonant ring to it.

• @bskeet said in The Big 12 conference:

The Big13.

Has a dissonant ring to it.

we won’t have to listen to how it sounds at thirteen very long

• Conference of champions on its last legs.

• @wissox said in The Big 12 conference:

Conference of champions on its last legs.

Bill Walton I’m sure is apoplectic.

@wissox said in The Big 12 conference:

Conference of champions on its last legs.

• @rockchalkjayhawk I’m sure he is. I like Bill Walton too. I think he adds a lot to a telecast.

• @wissox I like limited doses of Bill Walton. I enjoy him more on replays than live action. My favorites are no longer around - Max Falkenstein was just so stinking good at his job that I thought no one could hold a candle to him. But then Bob came along and did a fantastic job. I’m still waiting on the next great KU announcer.

• @dylans the radio used to be great here and there wasn’t a delay so you could watch while listening to Bob and Max. I maybe biased but they are simply two of the best to ever do it. Hanni is great dude just don’t like his voice or his “rock chalk it up” phrase.

• Reading a bit more on realignment today…

Seems like common knowledge to insiders that Oregon and Washington are holding out for the Big 10 or whatever it’s called — and aren’t good fits for the Big 12 for some unexplained reason.

Also read that the Big 12 commish cherry picked the wobbliest Pac 12 team (Colorado) to cause some chaos, wait for the next wobbler to bite. Arizona seems like the likeliest 14th team.

When will it happen? Who knows.

• I honestly feel for the Pac12. None of this makes any sense. We have had our fair share of being poached and it isn’t fun.

The issue continues to be TV money. TV money is what has destroyed college conferences. What I don’t really understand is why the P5 conferences simply didn’t come together and negotiate all deals together. Keep the conferences with a reasonable travel schedule and traditional rivalries.

Instead it is nothing but backstabbing. And it is such a disservice to the fans.

• @kjayhawks I’ve never really had to listen to KU radio until just recent when I discovered I could listen to games on my phone. I enjoy Hanni a lot, but really have no one to compare him to.

• @Kcmatt7 said in The Big 12 conference:

I honestly feel for the Pac12. None of this makes any sense. We have had our fair share of being poached and it isn’t fun.

The issue continues to be TV money. TV money is what has destroyed college conferences. What I don’t really understand is why the P5 conferences simply didn’t come together and negotiate all deals together. Keep the conferences with a reasonable travel schedule and traditional rivalries.

Instead it is nothing but backstabbing. And it is such a disservice to the fans.

The P5 won’t do that because they literally sued the NCAA to control their own TV deals in the 1980’s. There’d also be a pretty strong case that of they did that, they’d open themselves to an anti-trust suit.

• rumor that the Big Ten will add Washington, Oregon, FSU, and Clemson this week.

That will pretty much open the door for the Arizonas and Utah to the Big 12?

• @rockchalkjayhawk said in The Big 12 conference:

rumor that the Big Ten will add Washington, Oregon, FSU, and Clemson this week.

That will pretty much open the door for the Arizonas and Utah to the Big 12?

The Florida St and Clemson add at this point will not happen , well more Clemson then Florida St but , sources say insiders say Clemson is not ready to make that move yet - -IF anyone moves it will be Florida St. - -Florida State , believes they found a way out of the GOR because they are ready to sue the ACC because of the tv media rights deal, basically fraud. - -Saying they are not getting what they were suppose to be getting

Been rumors that the ACC has lowered some kind of fee to 300 Million and teams could pay 30 Million annually in installments, so don’t look for all 4 teams to join this week - - - maybe none.

If anything if the Big 1 ends up getting the 4 corner Schools THEN the BIG could very easily open the doors for Oregon & Washington, they had mentioned they did not want to be seen as the guys that’s broke the PAC 12 , and said they would leave that kill shot to the Big 12, They also said they had no plans to expand any further at this present time , but again if the Big 12 ends up taking these 4 Schools then game on. All bets are off

• And now add Cal and Stanford to that rumor…they are in preliminary discussions to join. wow.

That clears the way for the Arizonas and Utah to join the Big 12 once the conference collapses. ugly.

• Looks like the Big 12 is welcoming Arizona to the fold. They voted them in. Now it’s up to Arizona.

Apparently their regents met tonight, and will meet with the Pac 12 on Friday. They’re a “hard lean”.

Sounds like the regents would like to keep UofA and ASU together.

So, could be those two and Utah joining up pronto.

• Imagine a true midwest big 12:

The U.S. Census Bureau’s definition consists of 12 states in the north central United States: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

• @approxinfinity Feel like you could build a pretty solid 18 team conference out of those states.

• @benshawks08 for sure. Id trade Horned Frogs for Jackrabbits as our bottomfeeders. Top half is nice.

• @approxinfinity I like it, you could have two divisions, and call one the Great Lakes, and the other Great Plains. That would keep many of the traditional leagues together while adding new regular opponents to the mix occasionally.

• Plus, bus rides and short plane trips to all. Better for the student-athletes; lower costs, lower impact on environment.

One can dream.

• But wait, the drama continues!

Now it appears the Pac 12 is making a desperate attempt to KEEP Arizona and the Pac 12 intact.

Stay tuned!

• And within seconds it’s changed again!

Oregon and Washington to BIG!

• Disappointed we cant pull Stanford. But at least we no longer need to settle for assuming that Arizona is overrated every year when filling out a bracket, and actually watch them get their ass handed to them in the B12 conference season.

• @approxinfinity I wish Sean Miller was still the coach. Would make a good villain.

• @approxinfinity said in The Big 12 conference:

Disappointed we cant pull Stanford. But at least we no longer need to settle for assuming that Arizona is overrated every year when filling out a bracket, and actually watch them get their ass handed to them in the B12 conference season.

Utah’s arrogant fan base needs to be put in place - -would love to see Big 12 schools just beat that ass in football

• BYU and Utah in the same conference will create drama in Utah. It’s the kind of drama that sounds like a pin dropping in the rocky mountain forest, but it’s about the only rivalry created by all of this realignment.

Also-- this conference now has quite a few games at high altitude. Not sure if that’s ever a factor, but it is unique in the P5 — er P4.

I guess UConn is UGone.

• RIP to a normal conference. This is so messed up. College sports will never be the same!

Perhaps I’m alone but my Fandom for college sports continues to decline

• @bskeet said in The Big 12 conference:

BYU and Utah in the same conference will create drama in Utah. It’s the kind of drama that sounds like a pin dropping in the rocky mountain forest, but it’s about the only rivalry created by all of this realignment.

Also-- this conference now has quite a few games at high altitude. Not sure if that’s ever a factor, but it is unique in the P5 — er P4.

I guess UConn is UGone.

The " HOLY WAR " quite the battle between BYU & Utah. - -They truly really do have a dislike for one another

• @BeddieKU23 soccer scratches the itch, just sayin.

• @BeddieKU23 said in The Big 12 conference:

RIP to a normal conference. This is so messed up. College sports will never be the same!

Perhaps I’m alone but my Fandom for college sports continues to decline

Probably going to have to split into quadrants for smaller sports to help with travel costs. The Utah and Arizona schools as a quadrant. Colorado, KU, KSU, and OSU as a quadrant. The Texas schools as a quadrant, and then Cincy, ISU, UCF, and WVU as the last quadrant.

There’s not really a good pairing for UCF in regards to travel since they’re 800 miles from their closest Big 12 school.

• Well, looks like it’s official.

Arizona, Arizona State and Utah to the Big 12.

That should settle things for awhile – in the B12 at least.

Next stop: East Coast!

• I find myself more interested in Big 12 football now. Maybe it is because I haven’t been in the midwest for 45 years, and expanding the conf to nearly span the country gives me more teams to follow without having to try to follow the old region’s rivalries.

• @approxinfinity said in The Big 12 conference:

@BeddieKU23 soccer scratches the itch, just sayin.

Lovely sport, grew up playing and was a big fan but it just doesn’t scratch the itch for me.

Coming soon are games in Arizona that don’t start til 11pm eastern time which for me on a work day is ridiculous. I know others it won’t be so bad or will be beneficial even but for me this is a major put off.

The arms race for money will continue to erode whatever organic beauty college sports provided.

• @BeddieKU23 said in The Big 12 conference:

@approxinfinity said in The Big 12 conference:

Lovely sport, grew up playing and was a big fan but it just doesn’t scratch the itch for me.

Coming soon are games in Arizona that don’t start til 11pm eastern time which for me on a work day is ridiculous. I know others it won’t be so bad or will be beneficial even but for me this is a major put off.

The arms race for money will continue to erode whatever organic beauty college sports provided.

Kansas and Arizona are two of the biggest brands in basketball. Do you really think ESPN would want that match up to be relegated to the late night time slot even if the game was in Tuscon? If the Big 12 is smart with their scheduling, when teams go out west, they’d pair them up with one of the games on a Saturday which would mean possibly 1 midweek late night tip per season in Big 12 play. I’m just gonna say that I think that’s manageable.

• What is the most likely division of teams now? East/West or North/South divisions? Where will KU be? I assume the Big12 will be divided into two divisions, most likely East/West. So, Pac12 teams, plus Tex Tech, TCU and KState in the West. Or OSU in the West so KState and KU are in the same division? What about 3 divisions? I vividly remember this exact same time of year, several years ago when it looked like the Big12 was going to fold and the discussion was KU to the Mountain West. I’m so glad the Big12 has survived. RC

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in The Big 12 conference:

@BeddieKU23 said in The Big 12 conference:

@approxinfinity said in The Big 12 conference:

Kansas and Arizona are two of the biggest brands in basketball. Do you really think ESPN would want that match up to be relegated to the late night time slot even if the game was in Tuscon? If the Big 12 is smart with their scheduling, when teams go out west, they’d pair them up with one of the games on a Saturday which would mean possibly 1 midweek late night tip per season in Big 12 play. I’m just gonna say that I think that’s manageable.

True, they are going to want that Ariz/KU game in a primetime slot - - just like KU/UK a lot of times. Going to be classic match ups , they want s many eyes watching this game for viewership

• Been wild few days for sure, not sure I love all the changes across several conferences. But at the end of the day I’ll give Brett Yormark credit for being aggressive in all of this. Lots of folks thought this conference was going to implode the last few summers.

• I don’t like any of the changes. There’s no nostalgia/pride left to salvage, so just ditch the Big 12 name too.

• KU / AZ has Saturday afternoon eastern/noon pacific on CBS written all over it.

Imagine UNC/Duke, followed by KU/AZ. That’s the kind of lineup that tv execs dream of.

• @bskeet I think the football and basketball match ups will be good. The extra travel cost is what will be interesting especially for the non money making sports.

• @kjayhawks Totally agree. The impact on the non-rev sports is very much TBD. I think it’s going to be adverse…

• @bskeet seems impossible for non revenue sports. Maybe these conferences should only be for revenue sports and the rest of the sports could be regional conferences. What does it matter if they aren’t aligned?

• I really want good seats for both the UNC game in Allen Fieldhouse as well as the first Arizona game. Gonna be some fun games the next couple years. 2024 might be worth snagging season tickets even with a 6.5hour drive each way.

• what conference is Florida State wanting to join?

• @dylans said in The Big 12 conference:

• what conference is Florida State wanting to join?

The BIG

• Sounds like Florida State and Clemson are begging for SEC entries.

IMO the ACC is up next for realignment, despite having a long term media deal in place.

• Fsu to the sec makes sense. I don’t get the appeal of the big 10 (for anyone really) other than media $$$