Welcome, Marcus Adams Jr.!

• Our latest commitment… Class of 24, possibly moving to 23.

Big wing… 6’8"… strong wing! His legs are already a match with JWil!

marcus.jpg

• Should be a great fit for Self’s “positionless” squad! (even though we are aging some good bigs for next year)

Self mentions adapting to a 4-1 lineup (4 guards, 1 big).

Our current team is a 1-4 (1 pg, 4 guards)! lol

Yes… I consider KJ a guard now because he definitely isn’t a big and we’ve phased out the “forward” position and a wing isn’t a small forward, but a big guard.

Vernacular has changed, just like the game!

Someone help me out here…

Originally… wasn’t it - 2 guards, 2 forwards, 1 center

Then… 1 point guard, 1 shooting guard, 1 small forward, 1 power forward, 1 center

Then… 1 point guard, 1 guard, 1 wing, 1 forward, 1 center

Then… 1 point guard, 3 guards, 1 center

It seems like though the 1 point guard, 1 shooting guard, 1 small forward, 1 power forward, 1 center was the most-defined concept, it was hardest to master because the roles were more specific and it was rare to recruit such perfect players to fit the roles.

Since we have several guys who can handle the ball in backcourt pressure, and we don’t often run specific plays through a pg set, we can sometimes define our team as 4 guards, 1 big.

Self speaks more about positionless… and with a small big like KJ… I’m okay calling our current team a 5-guard lineup.

• My DAWG meter is going off here.

alt text

• Will be really interesting to see how prepared he is. Potential to be our most important freshman

• I have modest expectations here. It’ll be a HUGE jump in competition and freshmen usually have a tough adjustment, especially now. No knock on Adams, it’s the 23 class in general.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Welcome, Marcus Adams Jr.!:

I have modest expectations here. It’ll be a HUGE jump in competition and freshmen usually have a tough adjustment, especially now. No knock on Adams, it’s the 23 class in general.

Yeah I think he can contribute next year. Not starting but as a solid bench piece.

I think Elmarko will start barring something crazy.

The other two guys are definitely development pieces. I think some people will be in for a surprise there with CJ because of his ranking.

• LOL. What a joke

• Yes definitely a joke but not unexpected given what was known of him.

• What exactly happened?

• @approxinfinity said in Welcome, Marcus Adams Jr.!:

What exactly happened?

He has left the team couldn’t handle it

• Man, had high hopes for Marcus!

Bummer. We ever have two guys leave the program like this before? Seems real weird.

• @rockchalkjayhawk

Both were suspect takes for maturity alone. They didn’t work out.

• Anyone have a breakdown on who is in n the team (and likely to be eligible, redshirts/Morris??) to play to open the season?

Juan Elmarko Kev KJ Hunter

Parker Nick A freshman guard but I don’t remember which one redshirted…

• Still a bummer. kids mature. happens all the time. they can learn from a hard nosed, structured program too. too bad he didn’t stick with it. Maybe one day we’ll hear Self’s side of it.

• @rockchalkjayhawk said in Welcome, Marcus Adams Jr.!:

Man, had high hopes for Marcus!

Bummer. We ever have two guys leave the program like this before? Seems real weird.

ya like what the hell is going on

• Sounds like the Kentucky syndrome has hit the program - -yikes

• So did he enroll and take classes? Is he entering the portal?

EDIT: Adams did enroll and sign his NLI.

• So looks like probably Zach won’t be red-shirting going to be needed for depth, - -hope we can find a couple of quality players yet. - -It has now become a big challenge for us to win the Big 12

• This opens the door for a lot more minutes for Chris Ledlum if KU pushes for him. Probably at 20 minutes per game available now playing the back up 3 and 4 spot in a smallball line up.

Also thinking it’s possible McDowell doesn’t redshirt now as well depending on what happens with Morris.

• I wish some poster here who are connected and in the know would please enlighten us as to what the hell is going on … This is the weirdest year for KU B-ball ever.

• @Bosthawk said in Welcome, Marcus Adams Jr.!:

I wish some poster here who are connected and in the know would please enlighten us as to what the hell is going on … This is the weirdest year for KU B-ball ever.

It’s the wild wild west and not just here, it’s everywhere. We just focus on our own crazy more then others. It is the weirdest year. Self is just trying to adjust to the changing times.

• Wow. We hardly knew ye has never been truer.

Very odd.

I will say that if you were a freshmen coming into the team right now, you would not get the typical team greeting or orientation.

The team is non-organic in a way teams rarely are. There are lots of older players. They are all fighting for legitimacy and credibility, and the majority have experience fighting for minutes at other schools in other systems.

Other than DeJuan (and he seems like he may be naturally reticent), there aren’t guys who are in a “safe” position who can help another kid to work through this or that or explain the culture, etc. In other words, not a lot of mentorship for the 17-18 year olds.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Welcome, Marcus Adams Jr.!:

This opens the door for a lot more minutes for Chris Ledlum if KU pushes for him. Probably at 20 minutes per game available now playing the back up 3 and 4 spot in a smallball line up.

Also thinking it’s possible McDowell doesn’t redshirt now as well depending on what happens with Morris.

I was thinking about that myself TexasHawk. - - Sure seems if Ku is even at least interested in tryin to gt Ledlum, NOW is when they should be calling all hands on deck. - -Sure seems like the way things are the time is there for the taking. He wants floor time, no reason why he shouldn’t be able to get it. One would sure hope/think they are trying to set something up with him at this point.

I wish some poster here who are connected and in the know would please enlighten us as to what the hell is going on … This is the weirdest year for KU B-ball ever.

I know where you coming from buddy - - I just some what wonder if these kids also in their decision to leave I just wonder if somehow - -someway word has leaked about the final decision on this whole investigation and they worried about not getting tourney exposure or something weird like that. - - I myself don’t think we are getting a ban but I dunno, sure seems like something is up

Go to “Behind the Wall” and click on the “Transfer Rumblings” discussion. There’s details about Adams there.

• @bskeet said in Welcome, Marcus Adams Jr.!:

Wow. We hardly knew ye has never been truer.

Very odd.

I will say that if you were a freshmen coming into the team right now, you would not get the typical team greeting or orientation.

The team is non-organic in a way teams rarely are. There are lots of older players. They are all fighting for legitimacy and credibility, and the majority have experience fighting for minutes at other schools in other systems.

Other than DeJuan (and he seems like he may be naturally reticent), there aren’t guys who are in a “safe” position who can help another kid to work through this or that or explain the culture, etc. In other words, not a lot of mentorship for the 17-18 year olds.

You don’t think KJ, McCullars or Dickinson are wiling to do that?

• I don’t think he would’ve been happy here, so it’s all for the best. We have guys that were going to play huge minutes ahead of him, so it all works out. It wouldn’t surprise me if we go get another wing.

• @bskeet said in Welcome, Marcus Adams Jr.!:

Wow. We hardly knew ye has never been truer.

Very odd.

If the players held a players only meeting about Adams, then I seriously doubt people not wanting to be leaders or mentors is an issue with this group. That’s a strong sign of leadership and that the team likely tried to break Adams of his bad habits several times before having the meeting and going to Self about wanting to cut Adams loose.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

That’s how I see it too. He just wasn’t a fit and it didn’t work out for him. Some don’t realize the opportunity until it’s gone

• @Texas-Hawk-10 +1 and I agree. This shows what we’ve heard that early on this team seems pretty night even with all the new faces.

Juan, Kev and Kj are great dudes and team players. Morris is on his best behavior and Hunter knows he’s the man but still respects Self and his refining.

Throw in the freshman who already want to naturally please Self plus Braun who I’m sure has heard all about how things go….we look good!

Get us that Aussy Bill!

@BShark @FarmerJayhawk - think he plays any significant minutes?

• @kuballin10 said in Welcome, Marcus Adams Jr.!:

@Texas-Hawk-10 +1 and I agree. This shows what we’ve heard that early on this team seems pretty night even with all the new faces.

Juan, Kev and Kj are great dudes and team players. Morris is on his best behavior and Hunter knows he’s the man but still respects Self and his refining.

Throw in the freshman who already want to naturally please Self plus Braun who I’m sure has heard all about how things go….we look good!

Get us that Aussy Bill!

I doubt Self would be targeting a wing that can’t immediately contribute at this point. KU needs playable depth at the 3 and 4 spots right now and with Furphy’s size, should be able to back up both Adams and McCullar to get decent minutes.

• @kuballin10 I’d have modest expectations. He’s probably a back half of the top 100 type talent. Plus coming in suuuuuper late won’t help.

• End of the rotation guy likely the 9th man but promising to develop for the future. Would play for us more than Marcus would have I bet.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Welcome, Marcus Adams Jr.!:

@kuballin10 said in Welcome, Marcus Adams Jr.!:

@Texas-Hawk-10 +1 and I agree. This shows what we’ve heard that early on this team seems pretty night even with all the new faces.

Get us that Aussy Bill!

I doubt Self would be targeting a wing that can’t immediately contribute at this point. KU needs playable depth at the 3 and 4 spots right now and with Furphy’s size, should be able to back up both Adams and McCullar to get decent minutes.

Agree if they can land him, the minutes are available for sure at this point. we need the help

• What would this Aussie kids classification be ?

• Listed as a SF so theoretically can play the 3/4 but I’m skeptical he can play the 4 at a high enough defensive level to keep Self happy. Granted this is based on only having heard him described as a skilled player with no mention of defense.

• @BShark Yea he can rebound and seems to make the best basketball play a lot. Which gets you on the floor early.

• @BShark said in Welcome, Marcus Adams Jr.!:

End of the rotation guy likely the 9th man but promising to develop for the future. Would play for us more than Marcus would have I bet.

also would appear to be way more amenable to not playing a ton if that came to be, given that he reclassified in the first place to develop his body

• “Marcus has a lot of heart and fire,” DeSanti said. “Him coming back from injury, they never really got to see what Marcus can do. I don’t know if he’s going to go somewhere that plays KU, but he feels like (he never) got the right chance to show it.”

Yeah transferring before the first game shows all kinds of heart and fire. Never had a chance to prove himself? How about staying??? Lol glad to have the scholly back! Didn’t like Lawrence - too country for him. 😂 😂 😂

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article277429693.html#storylink=cpy

• Didn’t do himself any favors with that article.

• @TYOHawk Often the news articles are full of misinformation and incomplete information too, as such they should be taken with a grain of salt. These are direct quotes. 😳

I am appalled that fans are harassing his family. Get a life. So he didn’t love Lawrence, good riddance!

• Lol this article was so damn funny to read from start to finish with all of the additional context out there from Vern and others.

• Yea, only the elite few really know why he left (or was forced out cuz he sucked).

Either way, not the greatest look for the program IMO. I’d think if he was forced out, that Self would have at least spent a year with him to see if he had the slightest potential. Seems odd that it would be about his basketball skills. They should have known something about that coming in. Had to be personality. And that, to us simple message board peeps who dunno these players up close and personal, we’ll never know! maybe.

• So Adams ended up at Gonzaga? Does that seem odd to anyone else? I don’t know what I was expecting, but that’s… interesting.

• I’m hearing could be a chance he ha to sit a year, since he was actually enrolled at School and would have to go through portal ?

• @jayballer67 - what about NIL money? Had he received any?

• @Gorilla72 said in Welcome, Marcus Adams Jr.!:

@jayballer67 - what about NIL money? Had he received any?

don’t know.Yet if he thought by going to Gonzaga he is going to be a one and done- - -here is a news flash