Self & Townsend Suspended 4 games (First 4)

• This post is deleted!

• BShark your post and my reply got deleted what happened ?

• Well maybe Squeaky can get his hair cut now lol

• Here’s your ticket for going 65 in a 55 five years ago.

– But everyone was going 65.

Yeah, but it was posted 55. You broke the rule.

– But the speed limit there is now 65.

Yeah, it was a bad rule so we fixed it.

– er… ???

This has been another tale of "American Justice".

• Well, this absolutely sucks and is great at the same time.

Finally making progress with the NCAA? Great.

Penalty! Sucks.

More to come? Very possibly.

Why more to come? Reading between the lines (now nearly confirmed as lies) from Self regarding lack of Late Night visitors. The last quote from this story on Late Night is very much a concern:

But there were no undecided five-star big name players like in the past. And Kansas coach Bill Self said after the event that that was by design.

“The reason why we didn’t have (official visitors) here is because we’ve just basically got our guys committed,” Self said Friday. “We made a conscious effort this year to bring in the ones that we really wanted early and not wait for this because there’s no guarantee they’ll last.”

I think that’s something we’ll probably do moving forward,” he said. “Even though Late Night’s great, Late Night may be a better deal for young kids than it is for veterans. If we move the date back like this, we’ll have unofficials in and no officials.”

Hmmm. Hate to be suspicious again, but sounds like the recruiting penalties will continue for awhile.

And I’m unsure how to feel about Self’s words. I want to be pissed at him for what appears to be blatant lying, but I’m sure he couldn’t speak of any penalties at that point. Uncomfortable.

• @Kcmatt7 said in Self & Townsend Suspended 4 games (First 4):

@BShark This probably true. But damn is this just super frustrating. The length of time it has taken. The embarrassment. The fact that the most incriminating piece of evidence was a phone call about a player we didn’t even get. That somehow Duke, UNC and UK were able to essentially avoid this also makes it that much worse.

I just want it to be resolved. Let’s get it over with. Delaying penalties did get us a Natty. So I’m not saying that wasn’t the right strategy. And recruiting is 100% back on track which makes me think postseason bans are completely off the table (which the IARP basically said they would be, because they didn’t want to penalize students who had nothing to do with it). So if it is a postseason ban for Bill or whatever it may be, let’s get it done and over with.

Yeah I’m with you on all of this. It’s incredibly stupid.

• @rockchalkjayhawk said in Self & Townsend Suspended 4 games (First 4):

Well, this absolutely sucks and is great at the same time.

Finally making progress with the NCAA? Great.

Penalty! Sucks.

More to come? Very possibly.

Why more to come? Reading between the lines (now nearly confirmed as lies) from Self regarding lack of Late Night visitors. The last quote from this story on Late Night is very much a concern:

But there were no undecided five-star big name players like in the past. And Kansas coach Bill Self said after the event that that was by design.

“The reason why we didn’t have (official visitors) here is because we’ve just basically got our guys committed,” Self said Friday. “We made a conscious effort this year to bring in the ones that we really wanted early and not wait for this because there’s no guarantee they’ll last.”

I think that’s something we’ll probably do moving forward,” he said. “Even though Late Night’s great, Late Night may be a better deal for young kids than it is for veterans. If we move the date back like this, we’ll have unofficials in and no officials.”

Hmmm. Hate to be suspicious again, but sounds like the recruiting penalties will continue for awhile.

And I’m unsure how to feel about Self’s words. I want to be pissed at him for what appears to be blatant lying, but I’m sure he couldn’t speak of any penalties at that point. Uncomfortable.

I think it’s possible that there wil be further penalities. - -I’ve heard some shows today and logical -I could see NCAA - KU self imposing 4 game suspension on Coach and the NCAA adding an additional 4 games - -like I’ve heard on sports shows this morning - could see Townsend with a show cause.

Don’t think there will be a posst season ban the committee has stated that they don’t want to penalize current players for penalities from past

• It is just mind boggling this has dragged on this long. NCAA doesn’t have evidence of jack shit. KU shouldn’t have self-imposed anything, because NCAA will just say, “There, you admitted you did something wrong. Ha! Gotcha!”

• Surely this came about after some kind of agreement with IARP. Otherwise… it would be some kind of an admission of guilt and could do more harm to us than good.

It is a compromise to reduce the blood loss from our side because we help the NCAA save a little face.

I think of it as a plea agreement.

So from here… I expect us to not be penalized more but get our hands verbally slapped in their decision.

• @drgnslayr I agree entirely. It’s just a few games, and yeah it’ll suck having ESPN drag us through the mud all night, especially against their golden child. But at this point the process has been the punishment and it’s time for it all to end.

• I have a couple thoughts on this:

• I appreciate the visit from the cave troll on this thread today. If your take is “Bill is a liar” then all I can say is we live rent free inside your head. National champs, baby!

• The pure delight of watching heads explode on Rump Rafters is simply priceless. Oh, it just crushed them.

• @Jethro said in Self & Townsend Suspended 4 games (First 4):

I have a couple thoughts on this:

• I appreciate the visit from the cave troll on this thread today. If your take is “Bill is a liar” then all I can say is we live rent free inside your head. National champs, baby!

• The pure delight of watching heads explode on Rump Rafters is simply priceless. Oh, it just crushed them.

If you’re calling me the cave troll @Jethro , OK. Not making up anything here, Bill seems to be running loose with the truth in some of his previous statements about recruiting, etc. Not comfortable with that at all. Don’t like it. Nor do i like how secretive this entire process has been.

So, happily KU already lives rent free in my head. Proud to be a grad, but embarrassed about all this mess and how we’re handling it.

• @rockchalkjayhawk I think it isn’t lying so much as cover. Two things could simultaneously be true and if he is authorized to speak only about one, it is not lying to do so.

• @mayjay said in Self & Townsend Suspended 4 games (First 4):

@rockchalkjayhawk I think it isn’t lying so much as cover. Two things could simultaneously be true and if he is authorized to speak only about one, it is not lying to do so.

I hear ya @mayjay I know. I mentioned in my post that he was likely unable to discuss. I get it. Liar probably too strong a word. my anger and disappointment about all this earlier today got the best of me i’m sure. But still seems like a clown show at times with all this veiled secrecy. can’t stand it.

• @rockchalkjayhawk

Totally get the frustration.

I think we know Self will at times deflect or provide cover to situations he doesn’t want unnecessary attention on. I bet a good majority of KU fans had no idea we didn’t have visitors at Late Night. Other schools didn’t have that offifical info to use negatively against KU so he did a good job keeping the issue in the dark. He did a great job keeping a lid on the Remy situation last year as well (which could have spiraled). I’ve come to accept we have to know when he’s using coach speak to the media. Think he does a great job keeping a lot of things in-house and away from the media overall.

• @BeddieKU23 It is also why he is good at keeping the team together when they play poorly. He might say something like the Topeka YMCA comment, but he doesn’t pull a Penny Hardaway.

• Louisville just skated free lol.

• Alright yea we good

• Sure, so Self/T took suspensions while Louisville gets off free. What a complete joke. If this isn’t the end to KU’s penalties, I’ll have no words.

• @BShark

Yes on Louisville… except look at their program now. It’s a disaster.

I think our self-punishment says more about our fan base than anything else. Our fans don’t want a dirty program. My experience with Louisville fans… they could care less… especially wanting to beat UK at any cost.

And our fan base reaches far beyond our alumni. On my 20-year stint through Europe I can’t count the times I ran into other Jayhawk fans… many not speaking good English. I was a walking billboard with KU gear! (lol)

Our program is guided heavily by our reputation. We have a lot more to lose than a year or two punishment from the NCAA! Not even close!

Concerning Self… his job is to coach, but it gets political and legal. And he doesn’t always know what is going to happen. Pretty hard to judge his honesty, or just how transparent he needs to be. Personally, I give him a high grade in how he handles himself and how it reflects on Kansas. I definitely rate his abilities in this area ahead of probably all coaches we have had before him in my lifetime.

• @BeddieKU23 said in Self & Townsend Suspended 4 games (First 4):

Sure, so Self/T took suspensions while Louisville gets off free. What a complete joke. If this isn’t the end to KU’s penalties, I’ll have no words.

The mystery continues!

I dunno if this matters when it comes to penalties, but Louisville was accused of only one Level 1 charge, where KU has five against them, right? maybe that was the difference?

• @drgnslayr

True Louisville has suffered a lot. I was just voicing my frustration to this. Honestly, I don’t care to see any program caught up in this still punished, even the programs that did a lot more dirty then KU did.

• @rockchalkjayhawk

Probably does matter. It also lets you know just how badly biased the NCAA was to nail Self. 5 level 1 penalties was always absurd.

• @BeddieKU23 Especially since most of the 5 charges were based on a theory of boosterism that involved sayng we had an obligation to supervise and control independent companies who also worked with numerous other schools.