Boomer 2 Game Thread

• Jalen really is gonna be first team all conference. 22 and 9 today.

• Okay, now it’s time for the women to do their thing. Big game against KSU tonight. Right now we’re a projected 11 seed in the tournament.

Just keep winning.

• We miss FTs because he doesn’t use his bench, and all our starters are gassed…

• Survive and move on.

• This team has got so much work to do - - don’t know if we have enough time to get it fixed for any kind of run in the Tourney : - -BALL HANDLING , FREE THROW SHOOTING AND DEFENSE – DEFENSE - - -DEENSE

• @Jethro first half bench was 0-5 with 5 fouls, 1 block and that’s it. Hard to want to sink more minutes into that dumpster fire

• @approxinfinity said in Boomer 2 Game Thread:

@Jethro first half bench was 0-5 with 5 fouls, 1 block and that’s it. Hard to want to sink more minutes into that dumpster fire

Wouldn’t have minded Joe a little bit in the 2nd to keep guys fresh. Was great to see Zach and KJ get some run.

• You would think come Tourney time , we should be able to handle late game tight situations as we have had so many of these - - How many comfortable out of our 20 wins how many comfortable wins have we had compared to tight W’s - just got to do better

• @BShark said in Boomer 2 Game Thread:

@approxinfinity said in Boomer 2 Game Thread:

@Jethro first half bench was 0-5 with 5 fouls, 1 block and that’s it. Hard to want to sink more minutes into that dumpster fire

Wouldn’t have minded Joe a little bit in the 2nd to keep guys fresh. Was great to see Zach and KJ get some run.

Joe was not worth much today found a quick seat

• @BeddieKU23 said in Boomer 2 Game Thread:

Good grief

Next - -that’s all you can say

• Tanner Groves scored 0 points with Zach guarding him.

alt text

• All comes down to making throws

• @jayballer67 You would also think this team could get the damn ball in bounds despite the press. Jeez

• @stoptheflop said in Boomer 2 Game Thread:

@jayballer67 You would also think this team could get the damn ball in bounds despite the press. Jeez

Agbaji has always been suspect at inbounding the ball which is who Self seems to use in clutch situations.

• When did Clemence learn how to play defense? First time he’s ever look competent, let alone good on that end of the floor.

• Can’t catch the ball in those corners! We had been bringing our 5 down and that was working. Then we were running

• Well that didn’t look promising in the first half, now did it? yikes. Bottled up. Defended well. It seems defenses have caught on to our offense, just like what happened to the Chiefs. Teams started playing that “cover 2 deep” against them, forcing them to dink and dunk. When they had patience, they did well against that D. When not, maybe not so much.

So defenses are doing a similar thing against KU in a way. their “cover 2 deep” is defending the 3 pt line like crazy, and limiting Och from hurting them from afar. And that forces us to dink and dunk inside, and we don’t have great dink and dunkers inside. Ahem, Dave.

Not an exact replica, but close.

So, the question is, will HOF Head Coach Bill Self figure out a way to play a better O against those brain stormed Ds we’ve been facing???

• @rockchalkjayhawk not sure offense is the problem. We score close to 80 if we make some free throws. The second half offense was pretty solid. This team needs to figure out how to guard for 40 minutes. The help, rotations, and seemingly scouting has all been a mess for a couple of games with teams scoring at will with the players anyone could have said at the beginning of the game we’re going to go off.

• @rockchalkjayhawk o hai does need to figure out how to not let himself get taken out of the game for 25-30 minutes of it. He had a spurt this game where he got free for some looks but the just didn’t fall. He’s still attempted a good number of shots this game and is rarely taking bad shots.

Also 1st half turnovers…

• @benshawks08 Yup, not a perfect analogy, i know. The defense at times is an issue, giving up easy baskets. But, if you look at the totals we’ve given up, it doesn’t look bad on paper. In January, we mostly gave up totals in the 60s (ugh, kentucky. shh). In February same except for Texas (79). So, maybe? But, i’ve said this before, we make one dude look like an All American must about every game. guess that’s Self’s defensive game plan. lock up every body but X. So, maybe we’re looking at the defense in the micro instead of the macro? I dunno. they have their moments.

Och does take a few bad shots when he’s feeling like he’s left out, but not too many. Him and Jalen can make some bad dribbling decisions, too.

• @rockchalkjayhawk said in Boomer 2 Game Thread:

Well that didn’t look promising in the first half, now did it? yikes. Bottled up. Defended well. It seems defenses have caught on to our offense, just like what happened to the Chiefs. Teams started playing that “cover 2 deep” against them, forcing them to dink and dunk. When they had patience, they did well against that D. When not, maybe not so much.

So defenses are doing a similar thing against KU in a way. their “cover 2 deep” is defending the 3 pt line like crazy, and limiting Och from hurting them from afar. And that forces us to dink and dunk inside, and we don’t have great dink and dunkers inside. Ahem, Dave.

Not an exact replica, but close.

So, the question is, will HOF Head Coach Bill Self figure out a way to play a better O against those brain stormed Ds we’ve been facing???

KU’s biggest issue on offense was sharing the ball. It stuck with too many people not being active when they didn’t have the ball. I didn’t think OU’s defense was all that good today, it just felt more like KU being lazy on offense. This is a comfortable win if Ochai shoots his normal numbers and KU makes 5 more FT’s.

• On my assumption that UT would wither from all the “attention” given to them after their win against us:

From the Austin Newspaper: 2 different columnists saying the same thing!

Either way, the elation of the Kansas victory quickly became a thing of the past after Texas got trucked 80-63 at Baylor…Problem was, the Horns spent too much time patting themselves on the back and showed up in Waco figuratively fat and happy.

Texas was surging after Monday’s win over Kansas. But five days later, the Horns came out and played “soft”, players and coach Beard said. “They came ready to play. We didn’t. We let the Kansas game be our championship” Courtney Ramey said.

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in Boomer 2 Game Thread:

https://twitter.com/kutweetsandnews/status/1492722433635373058?s=21

Self was right

How the f is that even missed with a ref standing right there.

• @BeddieKU23 Not to mention the ou player holding juan!!

• I know I harp on our team (and past teams) not coming pumped and prepared for games… but it must be a lot tougher to coach your players into coming ready for games than it looks. Seems like most D1 teams have this issue. But they are only kids out there.

I find that one of the most-fascinating part of college basketball is all the shifts in momentum.

So while I say our team isn’t usually pumped and ready for games… I compliment them on their overall toughness. We’ve been pretty good at maintaining a certain level of composure that keeps us a threat in games.

The biggest letdown was the Kentucky game.

• @BeddieKU23 said in Boomer 2 Game Thread:

@Crimsonorblue22 said in Boomer 2 Game Thread:

https://twitter.com/kutweetsandnews/status/1492722433635373058?s=21

Self was right

How the f is that even missed with a ref standing right there.

KU gets all the calls tho tbh

• It will be nice to see if Zach can be a difference maker and if will he get that chance. Probably will. Our offense is getting stuck and confusion reigns leading to a turnover or awkward shot. Dave and Mitch are more dangerous on put backs then hooks or whatever. The only ones who are getting open looks for treys are Daj or Jalen and they do not take them. Our high ball screens are a waste of time largely because of that. The aggressive B12 defenses push us out until the shot clock becomes a factor and then pack it in or when we spread it out Dave is a mess to get the ball to within his shooting range. If we can go 5-2 in our last 7 conference games and get to the conference game championship games that means we are good enough to get past the first weekend of the NCAA’s. Make some three’s make our bunnies and we can sleep better. Woot woot! Och and Christian it’s on you, sorry.

• Just found out the game was at 8 pm. Cool beans. Was going to have to wait to take the little lady out for grub because on V day- now I can do the early bird special, and still not miss the game. It’ll be a little like when I was in Florida, and I would see seniors eating dinner at 3:30 in the afternoon…lol.

• @Jethro LOL

• @Jethro #GameDay #RockChalk #ValentinesDay #Jayhawks

Or you can treat yourself! 20220214_111603.gif