Tejas Game Thread

• @benshawks08

Did you or any other homers on this board watch the game without thinking Harris as the second coming of Frank???

It’s when JOE AND Harris share the floor was my point but we can analyze it all below.

Harris is a SOLID and i means SOLID backup pg (this isn’t sarcasm I am being 100% serious here). He plays starter minutes that’s the issue. Not his but the man who controls minutes.

https://kuathletics.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/1990141.pdf

We turned it over 15 times in the game to their 6 and Texas wasn’t playing any pressure defense. Same issue has been mentioned with our rebounding problems… Braun looking at you with 0.

Dave an absolute beast on 1 leg. He isn’t a legit KU big but he earned respect busting his tail while injured in the most physical game of the year.

Back to the web link: Joe in at 14:59 for the first time and ran offense fine with no turnovers until Harris back in at 13:40

Harris and Joe played until 9:45 with no turnovers bedsides 1 on Joe

Joe in at 6:07 Braun turnover 4:53 Och turnover 2:49 Joe our 2:25

Harris turnover 2:06 and we know how the next 2 minutes before half played out

Joe in 12:21 6:49 Joe out no turnovers the entire almost 6 minutes the time we built the lead the most and looked the best both offensively and defensively

Three turnovers while Joe played one being his own. 12 when he was out.

Switch minutes and I guarantee we’d win the game. Does it mean other guys couldn’t have performed better sure but 38 minutes to the guy who coach has said should play 25 shows coach is full of crap on his speech to the media.

Defensively because Joe can stop ball and puts pressure on guys. Offensively because even with 4 on 5 he attacks.

• @benshawks08 as proven in my post we turned it over less with Joe on the floor.

The narratives that Harris is a great defender (he’s not teams go right at him) and he handles the ball well (he doesn’t he has the weakest handles of all guards if you watch him dribble and handle pressure it’s awkward and he’s not strong) don’t hold up when looking at the toughest games.

Sure he is good against bad little 10 teams and non con…against tier 1 d1 athletes he’s exposed.

• @kuballin10 said in Tejas Game Thread:

@benshawks08

Did you or any other homers on this board watch the game without thinking Harris as the second coming of Frank???

It’s when JOE AND Harris share the floor was my point but we can analyze it all below.

Harris is a SOLID and i means SOLID backup pg (this isn’t sarcasm I am being 100% serious here). He plays starter minutes that’s the issue. Not his but the man who controls minutes.

We turned it over 15 times in the game to their 6 and Texas wasn’t playing any pressure defense. Same issue has been mentioned with our rebounding problems… Braun looking at you with 0.

Dave an absolute beast on 1 leg. He isn’t a legit KU big but he earned respect busting his tail while injured in the most physical game of the year.

Back to the web link: Joe in at 14:59 for the first time and ran offense fine with no turnovers until Harris back in at 13:40

Joe in 12:21 6:49 Joe out no turnovers the entire almost 6 minutes the time we built the lead the most and looked the best both offensively and defensively

Switch minutes and I guarantee we’d win the game. Does it mean other guys couldn’t have performed better sure but 38 minutes to the guy who coach has said should play 25 shows coach is full of crap on his speech to the media.

Defensively because Joe can stop ball and puts pressure on guys. Offensively because even with 4 on 5 he attacks.

I’m not arguing Harris is the second Frank, but I am arguing Yes isn’t either. Flipping minutes would not solve all our problems. In fact what is most likely is that new and exciting problems would present themselves.

Do think you found something calling out Braun on the boards. Needed him in there.

• @benshawks08 they said shut down och and Braun. Braun had some big moments and runs his mouth like always instead of finishing.

He’s normally great at rebounding but that goose egg is bad. Also he was atrocious defensively on Allen who had a career night. He and Wilson couldn’t stop them at the elbow it was brutal to see no in game adjustments by William on that action.

We won’t agree; if you switch Joe and Harris this team is definitely improved. Confident Joe and long leash Joe is everything we need in a lead guard. William needs to check his ego and worry about winning a title. It’s been 10 years since a final four W.

Funny we started to “hit our stride” as other posters have said yet that “can’t quite figure out” what changed these last 3 games.

• @benshawks08 said in Tejas Game Thread:

@kuballin10 said in Tejas Game Thread:

@benshawks08

I’m not arguing Harris is the second Frank, but I am arguing Yes isn’t either. Flipping minutes would not solve all our problems. In fact what is most likely is that new and exciting problems would present themselves.

Do think you found something calling out Braun on the boards. Needed him in there.

I think trying to say that Joe is really any if not better then Juan is mute - - pretty much a wash. - -Tue Juan has played many more minutes BUT IF you were to equate them out to where playing time ended equal - -Stats pretty much identical Stats don’t lie , speak for them self. - - Juan shoots the ball at a 44.3 % clip - -Joe - 33.3 ( actually yes taken less but % should be higher ) - Juan is a 31.3 % - 3 pt shooter - - Joe is a 23.1 - -3 pt shooter ( hmmmm) – Juan avgs - -5.6 ppg - -Joe - -2.3 - - -Juan has a 4.1 asst - -Joe is 1.2 --Juan playing all his minutes has a 95/36 assist to - To ration - - Joe is at 23/12 - -if you een minutes - playing time they would at best be a wash - -Joe does not prove he would be vastly greater - the stats just don’t add up to that.- - - - Nobody say Juan ist the 2nd coming of Frank Maon that’s just not happening but Juan is very adquate at his spot - -agree with you - - very much benshark08

• Looked up stats of board - -KU averages like 36.2 rebounds per game. - -We are a terrible terrible offensive rebounding team - - w average only 11.1 offensive rebounds per game - -FRICKEN ELEVEN OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS PER -defensively much better w average 25.8 rebounds per - -why the hell can’t we be better offensively

• @jayballer67 feel free to do that for the last 3 games it includes some good ones from Harris.

If you don’t think the 1 mistake and your out or if you take what William deems is a bad shot and you’re back to the bench in the noncon doesn’t effect a player’s psyche it will prove you’ve never played a sport at a competitive level where the coach either instilled or didn’t instill confidence into you

@jayballer67 feel free to do that for the last 3 games it includes some good ones from Harris.

If you don’t think the 1 mistake and your out or if you take what William deems is a bad shot and you’re back to the bench in the noncon doesn’t effect a player’s psyche it will prove you’ve never played a sport at a competitive level where the coach either instilled or didn’t instill confidence into you

So thats a nice way to skate around the fats - -you a real bundle of sunshine buddy I’ll give you that - you just neve give up thinkin you got ALL the answers - -I’ll stick with Juan. - Joe is good but not better thanks Buddy I’ve played competitive sports - - believe that. And I got yanked dam straight for ONE bone head mistake , sure didn’t make me think Coach was playing favorites.

What it did do was make me work even harder to try so I wouldn’t make that same bone headed mistake again. - -I’ve played many competitive sports. I was drafted by the CinCinnati Reds as a pitcher if you don’t think that’s not a competitive sport. - -I played Basketball all the way through my Schools years - - I was in track so plenty of competitive sports. Yet funny I never thought a Coach was playing favorites or bull headed. - -set in his ways. - -What I did think was got to suck it up make better decisions - work harder , the only way it effected my psyche was Butler you a F - - - - up get your act together. you wanna play - -you wanna see the floor then get your fricken ass together put in the work and do the best you can do. - -Never Never thought ANY of the Coach’s whatever sport I was in played favorites or just to bull headed to change.

My time in Pro ball was the ultimate challenge in competitveness boy you better suck it up there or you not making it buddy. If a player is taking things to personal for getting yanked for bad play and it effects his Physhe then he has no business in the sporting world - all you can do is WORK make yourself better, work on the problem , not make the same bone head mistake again. These Coach’s don’t play favorites holy shit man get your act together

• @kuballin10 Have you pulled a muscle yet stretching to blame Harris for last night when you yourself have brought up, Ochai getting shut down, Braun not getting a single rebound and playing bad defense, Jalen Wilson playing bad defense, David McCormack playing hurt down the stertch, but none of those could’ve been the reason if only Self had relied on the guy that’s shot 42% from the field the past 3 games instead of tge guy that’s shot 50% from the field in the last 3 games.

• Self said Remy bumped his knee when Texas fans stormed the court. He’s now ‘tender’

• @BeddieKU23 said in Tejas Game Thread:

Self said Remy bumped his knee when Texas fans stormed the court. He’s now ‘tender’

Great

• @BeddieKU23 said in Tejas Game Thread:

Self said Remy bumped his knee when Texas fans stormed the court. He’s now ‘tender’

alt text

• @jayballer67 my Dad was drafted by the Red’s too he was a lefty pitcher.

I had to text him to make sure he wasn’t on some KU message board arguing with me lol. He’s probably much older than you and not good with technology anyways.

Your point I don’t agree and here’s why. If you are battling for a position with another guy and playing time and that guy makes the bonehead play you made but stays in the game…how’s that sit with you?

When you have the better arm, better 12-6 curve but you only get a few opportunities and if one night you get schlacked well good luck. But if the other pitcher does he still stays in the rotation.

The leash and who gets said leash by trust is the issue. Yes, coaches do play favorites they are 100% human. Bosses play favorites, parents, ect everyone does.

Coach talks differently about Harris than he does remy or Joe.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 what’d he shoot last night and what about Joe?

I already outlined we turned it over 3 times in Joe’s minutes and had the best control of the game with him in.

I’m advocating for him on that night to play more. If that’s for Harris fine, for Braun fine.

Harris out of the main 6 players had the worst +/- but I’m not surprised.

Win as a team lose as a team but the ceiling is no better than sweet 16 with the minute distribution right now.

• To me it felt like we were down when Joe came in, and up when he came out.

• @BeddieKU23 What a disaster this has been lol. Will be interesting to see the impact this has on free agency this offseason.

@Texas-Hawk-10 what’d he shoot last night and what about Joe?

I already outlined we turned it over 3 times in Joe’s minutes and had the best control of the game with him in.

I’m advocating for him on that night to play more. If that’s for Harris fine, for Braun fine.

Harris out of the main 6 players had the worst +/- but I’m not surprised.

Win as a team lose as a team but the ceiling is no better than sweet 16 with the minute distribution right now.

My previous comment before the stats last night, you responded with wanting to know about the comparison numbers between Dejuan and Yesufu, since those numbers didn’t support argument, now you’re moving the goalposts.

Also, your rant about turnovers doesn’t mean much in regards to trying to blame Harris for that since Harris only committed 2 turnovers. While Braun, Wilson, and Agbaji combined for over half of KU’s turnovers. Those three also happen to lead KU in turnovers per game while Harris is 6th on the team despite his minutes. But since that doesn’t fit your narrative, you’re just going to go ahead and ignore that anyway. Another thing that won’t help your case is that Yesufu is averaging more TO’s per 40 minutes than Harris is.

We’re also not going to talk about the analytics showing that Yesufu does very little on either end to actually make KU a better team just like he didn’t make Drake better last year when they only went 4-3 in games he started last season. Those analytic numbers might actually be onto something there about judging if a player actually makes their team better or not.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

I said take last 3 games Harris was good in two. My point was to say what does Joe have to do to get more minutes? When he and Harris were on the floor we took care of the ball plus those other players you mentioned magically quit turning it over. Can you put two and two together? Harris isn’t an attacking play making guard he passes it to the post and around the perimeter. When the shot clock gets down to 15 he doesn’t create for anyone and then puts those guys in must make play situations and yes, they turn it over. People act like he’s aaron miles which completely disrespects miles. He’s a poor mans tharpe who was the worst pg under self and we are in for the same tourney fate. No goalposts moving goal was to point out he should have played more.

I hate per 40’s they are an awful analysis for guys playing spot minutes. You noticed I didn’t bother to use that and say well if Joe plays 30 minutes not 15 he turns it over 1 more time but scores 8 more points. Pers showed Clemence is the best and we know that’s not true. Pers only works when comparing guys playing legit minutes.

Comparing a 2021 drake team and results based on one player and that role to the 2022 Kansas team and that players role here was somehow worse than your pers comment.

• @Kcmatt7 said in Tejas Game Thread:

@BeddieKU23 What a disaster this has been lol. Will be interesting to see the impact this has on free agency this offseason.

Par for the course with what we deal with tbh.

• Yesufu since the ISU game (3 game sample now).

18 mpg, 6 ppg, 42.8 FG% (6-14), 33.3% 3ptfg (3-9), 1.6 reb pg, 1.6 ast pg, 1.3 stl’s.

PLAY JOE

• This is a tough team to watch. Its amazing how they have the record they do this year, I think its way better than they actually are. I really have a hard time watching Harris out there, its like KU is playing 4 vs 5. Minimal threat to score, doesn’t create for teammates… why is he even playing? Yesufu is way better. Creates better, drives better, more steals, faster, etc. His shot looks way better than Juan’s too, not sure its fair to compare shooting percentage without Yesufu being able to get comfortable with his role.

Its also very tough to watch our big guys play, especially Dave. I don’t understand how someone his size can be so bad at rebounding and so weak handed with the ball. Never seen someone that gets as many minutes as he does develop less over the course of four years. I’d bet money he holds the KU record for most offensive fouls, still hasn’t learned how to cut back on those. Still jumping and missing on so many block attempts and when he does get one its always swatted hard directly out of bounds.

On a positive note, it did seem like they were driving to the basket more which was something else I was banging the drum about. It looks to me like KU will probably be a 3 or a 4 seed and has a high risk of being a first weekend upset in the tourny.

• @RockkChalkk Self overthinks everything to the point of insanity. Let them play ball.

• Our team rebounding is actually okay. The biggest issues are turnovers and not shooting enough threes.

@jayballer67 my Dad was drafted by the Red’s too he was a lefty pitcher.

I had to text him to make sure he wasn’t on some KU message board arguing with me lol. He’s probably much older than you and not good with technology anyways.

Your point I don’t agree and here’s why. If you are battling for a position with another guy and playing time and that guy makes the bonehead play you made but stays in the game…how’s that sit with you?

When you have the better arm, better 12-6 curve but you only get a few opportunities and if one night you get schlacked well good luck. But if the other pitcher does he still stays in the rotation.

The leash and who gets said leash by trust is the issue. Yes, coaches do play favorites they are 100% human. Bosses play favorites, parents, ect everyone does.

Coach talks differently about Harris than he does remy or Joe.

I’m not going to keep the back and forth your not buding and I’m sure the hell not budging on my opinion.

Now aw far as the ball part with Cincinnati that’s interesting I’m not really that sure about your dad being older I’m am 67 yrs old now. Real interesting he was a Left handed pitcher - - -So was I lol. - -He can probably tell you back when I was pitching you really didn’t see a whole lt of left handed pitchers - I guess I was some what unique as I could go either way if I wanted more velocity on my pitch I would come 3/4 sidearm - -If I wanted a little more control and not that far off speed wise I would come straight over the top. - -kind of threw hitters off I might throw three - -four straight 3/4 side arm and then come back with an over the top lol. - Main pitch was my curve ball , of course seems like most lefties have a natural curve ball

l Had to laugh when I was younger my best friend caught me all the time he ended up telling the Coach w needed a new Catchers mitt cause I was bruising his hand from speed. My brother would play catch with me before games to help me and would end up getting mad telling me to quit throwing so hard cause I was hurting his hand lol

In my little olde times lived across the street from a neighbor boy did he have stories. - -He was minor league and played I think they were called the St louis red stockings. - his house was like a muesuem ALL KINDS OF PICS. - -he used to hang out with Babe Ruth Joe DiMaggio , Pee Wee Reese Lou Gerigh all those guys. /He was named Minor league player of the year. - His name was Ralph Winegardner love hearing him talk could listen to him for hours. He talked about when Babe got sick and Ralph’s wife wanted to get Babe to sign a base ball. Ralph told her that Babe wasn’t feeling good and to leave him alone - - Babe found out and signed it anyways - one of the very lasat balls that babe signes. - -He has several photos of him with those guys boy brings back times

• The way a lot of fans have turned on this team and or talk bad about it blows my mind. I actually enjoy watching this team. They are not great defensively, but other than the Kentucky game they have been in every game. They have battled back numerous times from being down to come back and win games. The funny thing is all the analytic sites say this is a good team.

KenPom: 7th NCAA Net: 7th Torvik: 6th KPI : 1st.

• @Woodrow A lot of spoiled fans around the jayhawk program. ALWAYS winning can do that to folks. We are so lucky to have a team with a shot at the title EVERY year.

• What I like about this team is having core upperclassmen, promising freshmen talent, and no one-and-done guys!

• @DanR said in Tejas Game Thread:

What I like about this team is having core upperclassmen, promising freshmen talent, and no one-and-done guys!

And I don’t think this team has played its best basketball yet. The Baylor game is really the only game where they’ve played to their ability on both ends of the floor for both halves.

• Our team is good but not great. It seems we are playing on a knife’s edge and thus everything that goes swell or goes awry immediately impacts us. Us being the fanatics who sit on our own edge. Smaller margin for error, opponent’s best effort, diminished expectations, helplessly watching, mood swings making one dizzy, and shouting at the TV saying are you freaking kidding me ref, Dave, Dj. Kinda silly but here we are.

The day after it’s we have the best coach, love Dave for giving his all, Dj is getting better, where would we be without JWill, me wishing we had standardized nicknames for all the players, can Och and Christian keep on keepin on, let’s win the B12, win the B12 tourney, be the underdog that wins and moves on and we just might be pretty good next year.

Don’t be an asshole. It’s not a good look.

• @DanR said in Tejas Game Thread:

What I like about this team is having core upperclassmen, promising freshmen talent, and no one-and-done guys!

Amen Mister DanR.

• @Woodrow said in Tejas Game Thread:

The way a lot of fans have turned on this team and or talk bad about it blows my mind. I actually enjoy watching this team. They are not great defensively, but other than the Kentucky game they have been in every game. They have battled back numerous times from being down to come back and win games. The funny thing is all the analytic sites say this is a good team.

KenPom: 7th NCAA Net: 7th Torvik: 6th KPI : 1st.

Yep we are pretty sad sometimes but you are right.

• @benshawks08 I think you’re on to something. I think we lost the Texas game because we were emotionally gassed after blowing out Baylor. There is a better team in there somewhere. I want them to play Remy and Joe together at some point in the future. I have a feeling it might surprise us how everything flows better. I thought our team looked alot better with Joe in the game, and keeping him on the sidelines during crunch time might’ve cost us the game. I hope Bill doesn’t ice him out when Remy gets back. No way should Harris get 38 minutes.

• @BeddieKU23

I used to do all the analytics and appreciate the effort. And you seem better at it than I was. Thank you and it truly is helpful.

• @benshawks08 Is that why K-State has such great fans? Because they’re used to losing?

• @Zabudda said in Tejas Game Thread:

@BeddieKU23

I used to do all the analytics and appreciate the effort. And you seem better at it than I was. Thank you and it truly is helpful.

No problem. I enjoy keeping up on it for everyone to see.

• @nuleafjhawk said in Tejas Game Thread:

@benshawks08 Is that why K-State has such great fans? Because they’re used to losing?

Certainly contributes to their excitement when they win!