2022 Transfer Portal Thread

• @Kcmatt7 said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

@BShark said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

I am MALDING. CJ Moore in his recent article insinuated that the staff prefers McCullar to Mosley.

Talk me off the ledge @Kcmatt7 @FarmerJayhawk @BeddieKU23

I’ll trust the staff, but I don’t like it. Would make us the biggest brick laying 3pt team Bill has maybe ever rolled out there.

yup. shooting! we need shooters! (he says for the millionth time)

• @rockchalkjayhawk said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

@Kcmatt7 said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

I am MALDING. CJ Moore in his recent article insinuated that the staff prefers McCullar to Mosley.

I’ll trust the staff, but I don’t like it. Would make us the biggest brick laying 3pt team Bill has maybe ever rolled out there.

alt text

• @BShark said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

@rockchalkjayhawk said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

@Kcmatt7 said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

alt text

Frogs can leap off ledges!

• To my knowledge no transfer has a committable offer to KU right now. The staff’s dream is everyone comes back. If Braun stays in then they’ll move. But, for example, if Tyrese Hunter wanted to commit tomorrow we don’t have a spot. If we’re able to add spots later then that will change but as of now, nobody can commit to KU.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

To my knowledge no transfer has a committable offer to KU right now. The staff’s dream is everyone comes back. If Braun stays in then they’ll move. But, for example, if Tyrese Hunter wanted to commit tomorrow we don’t have a spot. If we’re able to add spots later then that will change but as of now, nobody can commit to KU.

A dangerous game.

• @benshawks08

Agbaji, McCormack, Martin, and likely Braun are all gone. That’s almost 53 points per game out the door. That’s a ton of shot attempts. Wilson probably won’t get a much bigger slice of the scoring pie. He may go from 11 ppg to 13 or so. Dick and Rice probably score some, but I doubt they both come in and average double figures (although I am in full support of being wrong about this). I doubt Pettiford, Adams or Harris averages more than 7 or 8, and I doubt we get 20 between the three of them because that’s just not their role.

So if this team averages 76 ppg next season (a pretty reasonable figure for a Bill Self team), that’s 13 from Wilson, 10 from Clemence because he’s the only inside player that will probably score consistently next year, 15 from Pettiford, Adams, and Harris (6, 4, 5), 17 from Rice and Dick (probably a 7/10 split), and less than 6 from Udeh, Ejifor and Yesufu because there just aren’t enough minutes for those guys to score a ton if Mosley is on this team (Clemence, Adams and Yesufu combined for 5 ppg this year). That’s plenty left for Mosley, and if KU is more of a 78-81 ppg team, Mosley could go higher (likely since next year’s team will probably play at an even faster pace).

Of course, if Braun is back, those figures change because Braun is going to get some of those shots, and HE likely averages 16+, with Wilson and Mosley both in the 12ppg range, followed by Clemence, Dick and Rice all just under double figures.

• @justanotherfan Yeah. If CB is back I’d bet big money on him averaging over 16 a game. I just hesitate to put too much trust or expectations of numbers for newcomers because Self over and over again favors the guys he knows and trusts. I’d argue Yes is more likely to get 7 or 8 a game than a transfer scoring 16+ just because Self knows him and was able to see what he was capable of this year and if he makes improvement, he WILL reward him for that with PT and freedom on the court. I also think Harris could slowly develop into more of a 7-10 point a game type guy.

• @benshawks08 said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

@justanotherfan Yeah. If CB is back I’d bet big money on him averaging over 16 a game. I just hesitate to put too much trust or expectations of numbers for newcomers because Self over and over again favors the guys he knows and trusts. I’d argue Yes is more likely to get 7 or 8 a game than a transfer scoring 16+ just because Self knows him and was able to see what he was capable of this year and if he makes improvement, he WILL reward him for that with PT and freedom on the court. I also think Harris could slowly develop into more of a 7-10 point a game type guy.

Yeah I’m not overly fussed about things if everyone that might come back does so. Knowing Bill’s system is a huge plus and our player improvement is A+.

• Me: I won’t doubt Bill after this title.

Also me, regarding offseason decisions so far: alt text

• I am confused at the lack of movement both in and out at this point

• Tre Mitchell to West Virginia.

Have fun huggy with his daddyo. Can’t believe he transferred in conference…

Kyle Lofton to Florida (St Bonnie PG)

• @BeddieKU23 said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

I am confused at the lack of movement both in and out at this point

I understand keeping Cuffe, but not Cam.

• @benshawks08 said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

@justanotherfan Yeah. If CB is back I’d bet big money on him averaging over 16 a game. I just hesitate to put too much trust or expectations of numbers for newcomers because Self over and over again favors the guys he knows and trusts. I’d argue Yes is more likely to get 7 or 8 a game than a transfer scoring 16+ just because Self knows him and was able to see what he was capable of this year and if he makes improvement, he WILL reward him for that with PT and freedom on the court. I also think Harris could slowly develop into more of a 7-10 point a game type guy.

Yesufu certainly has the talent to get to the 7-8 ppg mark. I just don’t see where those minutes are coming from, unless its at the expense of Dick, Rice, Harris and Pettiford, in which case their numbers fall to correspond with that rise for Yes.

I don’t think Harris averages much more as a scorer because that’s not his game. As a RS freshman, he took about 2 shots a game and averaged 2.5 points on 48% shooting in 16 minutes. As a RS sophomore, he took a little over 5 shots a game, averaged 5.4 points on 42% shooting in 29 minutes. So his minutes went up, volume went up, efficiency went down. If he returns to his RS freshman efficiency, he could average about 6 ppg on the same volume, but I doubt he goes much higher unless he’s taking lots of shots, which isn’t his game.

You could be right about Self trusting “his guys” more, but if Braun is gone, who takes the shots? Clemence will get most of McCormack’s volume. Ejifor and Udeh will get Lightfoot’s. Wilson will get his, plus a bit of Braun’s. Dick gets the rest of Braun’s. Rice gets Martin’s (assuming he comes off the bench - if Dick comes off the bench, flip the volume with he and Rice). Yes gets his volume, plus some of JCL’s. Pettiford gets JCL’s remainder, plus any leftover from Braun, Martin, Harris decline.

But that still leaves Agbaji’s volume, which either goes to Mosley (if he comes), or has to get split up between the guys I just mentioned. Clemence is already getting McCormack volume, and unless you believe he’s going to be Nick Collison or Raef Lafrentz, that’s about the right amount for him. Unless Ejifor or Udeh is further along, they are not getting tons of post up touches because that’s not where they are yet. They will catch lobs and get offensive rebounds.

On the perimeter, we already saw what happened to Harris’ efficiency when he doubled his volume. He may actually shoot less next year, but more efficiently. Pettiford may well get some volume, but you can’t play Pettiford, Harris, and Yesufu together consistently, so someone’s volume will get cut just by virtue of a minutes crunch.

So that leaves wing scoring. Wilson will increase his volume some, but probably not much. He may return to his RS freshman year volume, but retain the efficiency we saw last year, which is how he averages more points overall. So that means Rice, Dick and (presumably) Mosley are filling in for Martin, Agbaji and Braun, unless you believe that Clemence and Wilson are both 16+ guys, and someone in the Harris/Pettiford/Yes group is a double figure guy.

I lean more towards scoring coming from the newcomers because we don’t have a ton of natural scoring returning, unless we turn this into 2020-21 where we tried to make Marcus Garrett an elite scorer (not his game).

@BeddieKU23 said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

I am confused at the lack of movement both in and out at this point

I understand keeping Cuffe, but not Cam.

That’s where 99% of my thinking is here

• I see Cb leaving and Mosley coming in but still having to fight for that starting 2 guard spot with Mj. Coach already know Gradey is starting at the 3 We got 3 McDonald All Americans coming in.2 are guards I fully expect that want to be One and Done this is the time Coach can change the narrative that he can produce em. Kids don’t care about winning much they care about Money and being One and Done. I expect Coach to unleash em so he can show future recruits he let them One and Dones run free.It’s been forever since we put Stars ina league Embiid and Wiggins 2014 so long ago for a BLUE BLOOD You know Coach think about that just like he thought about Winning Chips then did it again. I think we’ll start getting high level recruits again this just gotta be step one to show other recruits He let the Freshman go.

• Worth noting the grad transfer deadline is July 1 for spring sports.

• Mosley to Mississippi State is looking very likely.

• @NormRoberts said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

I see Cb leaving and Mosley coming in but still having to fight for that starting 2 guard spot with Mj. Coach already know Gradey is starting at the 3 We got 3 McDonald All Americans coming in.2 are guards I fully expect that want to be One and Done this is the time Coach can change the narrative that he can produce em. Kids don’t care about winning much they care about Money and being One and Done. I expect Coach to unleash em so he can show future recruits he let them One and Dones run free.It’s been forever since we put Stars ina league Embiid and Wiggins 2014 so long ago for a BLUE BLOOD You know Coach think about that just like he thought about Winning Chips then did it again. I think we’ll start getting high level recruits again this just gotta be step one to show other recruits He let the Freshman go.

I think portions of the fanbase are hyping Gradey up way too much. I’d be happy with 6-7 points a game from him. I think there will be a big adjustment period. Especially being able to defend at the level Self demands. Josh or Wiggs he is not. I think he is an NBA guy eventually, moreso than MJ.

How many great frosh were there last year? All the best players in the 22 class either reclassified or went pro. This removes them from the rankings an inflates the remaining players. Then you consider that we still have 5/6th year college players running around as well. I’m hoping we can ease our Freshmen in instead of throwing them into the fire.

• @BShark I think he’s going to be better than this years bench players.

Mosley to Mississippi State is looking very likely.

Rumors within the KU staff?

• @Gorilla72 said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

Mosley to Mississippi State is looking very likely.

Rumors within the KU staff?

They’re dead quiet. Only word I’ve gotten is they’ll pursue once CB and Jalen make their choices. Their clear preference is to run it all the way back. There aren’t any offers out right now.

• @FarmerJayhawk so they think there’s a chance w/CB?

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

@FarmerJayhawk so they think there’s a chance w/CB?

60-40 he leaves, last I heard. Which to be fair is speculation. He’ll be back if he bombs the combine and gets a 2nd round grade. It’s not a situation where he has to leave to make money. The Brauns are well off.

Bottom line is the staff really likes who they have and don’t want to go boot a guy who just won a title. Will Cuffe be any good? Shoot, I don’t know. He played 2 years of HS ball and redshirted. They took him knowing it could be awhile before he could play here. I think they want some experience up front so keeping Cam makes sense. They’ve been burned by teams without great team chemistry (eg 13-14, 18-19) so I don’t think they want to plug in a bunch of new starters and hope it works out.

• So Cam sitting on the bench is experienced? If CB and Wilson don’t come back we have 1 starter left. I’m confused with your experienced, get your chemistry.

• @Crimsonorblue22 I think Farmer is talking about experience within the program. Guys that know what it takes to play for Self. Just because the freshman Didn’t play much and Cam and Cuffe redshirted doesn’t mean they didn’t gain experience Im a big on team chemistry and I’m sure the staff is as well.

• I’m not worried in the least about next year. No matter who is on the roster, I know I’m going to watch a premium product. We’ve got more talent coming in than we’ve had in a long time. Yes, it would be great if CB and JW return, but we’ll still be good if they don’t. We have a 5 -10 point coaching advantage every game, so that helps.

• @Jethro said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

I’m not worried in the least about next year. No matter who is on the roster, I know I’m going to watch a premium product. We’ve got more talent coming in than we’ve had in a long time. Yes, it would be great if CB and JW return, but we’ll still be good if they don’t. We have a 5 -10 point coaching advantage every game, so that helps.

If CB and JWill didn’t return and we didn’t add anyone, I’d be VERY worried. I think that scenario is basically impossible though.

• @Oldmanhawk said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

@Crimsonorblue22 I think Farmer is talking about experience within the program. Guys that know what it takes to play for Self. Just because the freshman Didn’t play much and Cam and Cuffe redshirted doesn’t mean they didn’t gain experience Im a big on team chemistry and I’m sure the staff is as well.

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

@FarmerJayhawk said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

Some news… https://twitter.com/wisbbyearbook/status/1525628837379416064?s=21&t=RXyTElxI5u-rrWoFDPztHA

Last visit is nice, certainly beats not getting one.

Fo sho. I really think they’d take his commitment if he’d hold off a bit after visiting. Have to see CB through the process

• @FarmerJayhawk said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

@FarmerJayhawk said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

Some news… https://twitter.com/wisbbyearbook/status/1525628837379416064?s=21&t=RXyTElxI5u-rrWoFDPztHA

Last visit is nice, certainly beats not getting one.

Fo sho. I really think they’d take his commitment if he’d hold off a bit after visiting. Have to see CB through the process

I think if we did take him, someone would strongly consider leaving. Idk who it would be but Hunter is a guy that would eat minutes at the 2 and likely be the back-up 1 as well.

• When do the camp games start and what channel? I watched them the last few yrs.

• 2-4 espn news on the 19th, 1-4 same channel on the 20th

• Starts tomorrow! TV not til Thursday?

Coverage of the Microsoft Surface NBA Draft Combine 2022 begins Thursday, May 19 on ESPNews from 3-5 PM ET and transitions to ESPN2 from 5-7 PM ET. The coverage continues on Friday, May 20 from 1-2 PM ET on ESPN2 and 2-5 PM ET on ESPNews

• @rockchalkjayhawk got 'em, thx!

• Tuesday for Hunter’s visit.

• @BShark you hinting at something here?

Dream is getting JW (seems most likely) and CB (not real likely) plus Hunter to start and boot somebody who has no chance of playing real minutes this year

McCullar looks okay but he’s not some great athlete or anything. What’s the draw? I haven’t looked him up much.

• @kuballin10 said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

@BShark you hinting at something here?

Dream is getting JW (seems most likely) and CB (not real likely) plus Hunter to start and boot somebody who has no chance of playing real minutes this year

McCullar looks okay but he’s not some great athlete or anything. What’s the draw? I haven’t looked him up much.

I think he’s a better fit for Bill than Mosley but in a vacuum and for our needs next year I prefer Mosley. Smart, versatile player. Played a bit out of position for Tech last year at times and was also playing hurt: https://www.lubbockonline.com/videos/sports/college/red-raiders/2022/02/15/texas-tech-coach-mark-adams-provides-injury-update-kevin-mccullar/6803103001/

As a wing for us I think he would be decent. But I only want him if CB leaves (likely, as you said).

I still expect Jalen back.

Complete gut feeling but I think if we land Hunter, we see one of our guards transfer because Hunter is a guy that will play big minutes.

• Guessing…

McCullar - Kansas

Mosley - Mississippi State

• Tyrese Hunter to Texas could happen soon.

• Watching McCullar keep two athletes on the bench is going to make for a long season.

Hoping I’m very wrong and he surprises.

• @BShark thanks for the breakdown.

Based on your two recent posts above that sounds like the worst outcome imaginable.

Hunter and Carr together at Texas to go up against Juan and Bobby…

McCullar to keep Dick or Rice on the bench more isn’t ideal.

• @kuballin10 said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

@BShark thanks for the breakdown.

Based on your two recent posts above that sounds like the worst outcome imaginable.

Hunter and Carr together at Texas to go up against Juan and Bobby…

McCullar to keep Dick or Rice on the bench more isn’t ideal.

The craziest thing is that Bill seemingly prefers McCullar to Mosley. He sees things differently that’s for sure.

I am high on Bobby though. He will do exactly what the staff asks and I think he will be fine off the ball. He isn’t a terrible shooter by any means.

• Possible visitors tomorrow: Hunter, Mosley

• @BShark I think I’m doubtful cause we’ve seen so little of any of them. I know Bobby goes balls to wall, but he was always hurt. ZC had 2 great 3’s and maybe 2 awesome boards. I love KJ can play D, he did win a 3 pt contest for the boys and girls contest!😁 maybe more there than I know! I think the frosh will get more time than you think! 🫣 I’m fine with being wrong, just hope everyone is working really hard in the summer, no days off!

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in 2022 Transfer Portal Thread:

I think the frosh will get more time than you think!

Disagree a lot. I think we are in deep trouble if that happens for reasons I outlined earlier. I think we add a couple guys that are in their 4th or 5th year of college ball though. “Get old, stay old”.

Zach will be our best center next year.