Changes to the College/NBA Rules Are Coming: The Death of the OAD

• It is ridiculous that an adult is limited from making a living in any profession solely because of collective bargaining, where the participants conspire selfishly to exclude that individual.

• It’d be funny if they started requiring a degree to get into the NBA.

• Boy Calipari is going to have to get out the check book (Nike) to stop this one!

• This will definitely have an effect on recruiting for KU. Personally I hope the new rule lets kids jump to the league but if they go to College its a minimum 2 yrs, 3 would probably be best.

• dylans said:

It’d be funny if they started requiring a degree to get into the NBA.

No, it wouldn’t, because UNC would get all the top recruits then. Word on the street is their academic program is fairly athlete-friendly.

• @BeddieKU23 Being selfish, yes, I’d like 3 years or 2. But I think it’s unreasonable for the NBA to put in a restriction like that unless someone was actually drafted and didn’t come – meaning that a team has the player’s rights for a specific period of time.

• Why not do the hockey thing and draft kids for their rights and designate them to college for another year or two to develop? Won’t happen as it could make corruption worse I suppose, but it’s another option.

• Why not replace the shoe companies with government issued athletic gear? Have you seen the new Richard Hudsons? Them janx is tiiiiiiight.

• HighEliteMajor said:

It is ridiculous that an adult is limited from making a living in any profession solely because of collective bargaining, where the participants conspire selfishly to exclude that individual.

Most professional careers have requirements that far exceed the NBA’s and they pay considerably less.

If you want to be a doctor you need a college degree, medical school and years of practice. To practice as an attorney, you have to get a college degree, attend law school and pass the bar which is no small feat. As an Engineer, I had to get a college degree and get 4 years of experience working under a licensed engineer before I could even take the PE examination. Teachers have to do it, nurses have to do it, CPAs have to do it, even plumbers, HVAC techs and electricians have to attend trade school, go through apprenticeship and pass tests to get a certification before they can call themselves professional in their field and all of us do it for a hell of a lot less money. Most of the trades requirements and regulation are a result of negotiations by the unions that represent them…and all those mentioned above have to pay their own way for the required education/training and certification and start their careers with student loans, some of them very high.

I don’t find it unreasonable that a professional sports organization has some minimum requirements, particularly when there are million of $ at stake at the end of the paid for training period. No one is forcing anyone to become professional basketball players, they can always work in another field and go through the requirements of that profession.

• I believe that players should approach the business of basketball based on the examples set by D1 university chancellors, D1 private oligarchic alumni, D1 ADs, D1 Coaches, Petroshoeco officials, Agents, the current and former Commissioners of the NBA, the NBA Franchise owners, NBA Superstars, NBA players, and the NBA players association.

What approach is that?

TAKE. EVERYTHING. YOU. CAN. WHENEVER. YOU. CAN.

SACRIFICE. ANYONE. THAT. IT. ADVANCES. YOU. TO SACRIFICE.

BREAK. RULES. WHEN. YOU. WILL. NOT. BE. PUNISHED. FOR. DOING. SO.

TAKE. AS. MANY. BENEFITS. AS. YOU. CAN.

SHIFT. AS. MANY. COSTS. AS. YOU. CAN.

START. A. NON. FOR.PROFIT. AND. EMPLOY. YOUR. PALS.

SPIN. YOUR. PUBLIC. IMAGE. AS. GRATEFUL.

EXPLOIT. YOUR PUBLIC. IMAGE.

KEEP. GETTING. RICHER.

• @BShark

Every day I’m in shock that athletes still get treated like slaves. I know, I know… the top athletes make hundreds of millions… but those are the exceptions and not what I am talking about.

Imagine any of you having rules about how you proceed with your ability to make a living? You wouldn’t like it. The pathway from college to the NBA should be without too many rules. The excuses for binding athletes always claims to be in their best interest. Hogwash! These kids are risking their financial futures every day by playing in college. Heck… they can get hurt and not even guaranteed long-term health insurance, even if their injuries suffered while making millions for the college network are ongoing into their futures, long after leaving college.

How relevant is it that an athlete goes out and makes money, changing their status to “pro” then later not being paid… and why can’t that athlete go back to school? There are all kinds of loopholes where this already happens. Didn’t Xavier Henry’s brother already make money in baseball before coming here legally as a basketball player? Maybe it was earnings put into an irrevocable trust?

• HighEliteMajor said:

@BeddieKU23 Being selfish, yes, I’d like 3 years or 2. But I think it’s unreasonable for the NBA to put in a restriction like that unless someone was actually drafted and didn’t come – meaning that a team has the player’s rights for a specific period of time.

More in line with the Baseball or Hockey model?

The recent comments from Adam Silver pointed to the fact they would rather see players develop in College or the G-League then being the OAD or oversea’s model or in the case of Mitchell Robinson sitting out the year and training.

It seems they might remove the restriction of College for those that wish to jump immediately but it does seem they would like for kids that do end up going to College to stay at least a few years

• @BeddieKU23 One might hope that something like this might get the anti-NCAAA, anti-CBB folks to tone it down, but they won’t. Folks like the hypocritical, illogical and conveniently shifty Bilas won’t stop until they destroy CBB. And that is where many want this to go, to destroy CBB.

Looks like your connection to KU Buckets was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.