Ok so lets see if new recruiting thread

• Just checkin guys, there was talk about starting new thread, other was getting really long, if ya want hear we go.

Hot items Zion and Devon anyone wanting to pick it up or other recruiting? - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Well watching the game tonight, - -Devon is Legit - -really quick, they say he had 13 pts some really good passes. - -Robinson Earle snatches anything up on the boards - - -got some good hops, – Harvey From Topeka Hayden is throw -threw down Monster dunk, None of these three disappointing - -all look good.

Devon is the man though mercy - -super quick - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54 yeah, Dotson having a solid game. Showing an all around skill. Speed, ball handling, passing, rebounding, and hit a nice three. I like it.

Did you happen to notice who Steph has been sitting next to?

• @RockkChalkk No didn’t catch who he was sitting next to. Who was it? - - Ya Devon for sure didn’t do ANY thing to my hoped of him coming here, - -also I really liked Robinson Earle looks pretty fluid and glass eater. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Josh Jackson

• JRE will be a joy for Self to coach. Should be a fan favourite too.

• BShark said:

JRE will be a joy for Self to coach. Should be a fan favourite too.

A lot of Perry Ellis in his game. He’s definitely a gamer

• Slater has been killing the boards the last few days. I wonder if recruits will notice all the nuggets he’s dropped about where people are going or likely to end up at.

The way things are shaping up it looks like KU, UK, Duke & Arizona are going to have killer classes.

KU- Likely getting Dotson & Grimes. Good chance at Zion. After that ?

UK- Quickley, Good chances with Zion & Shittu so far. Reddish still a possibility. King wants UK but they haven’t offered.

Duke- Jones, Reddish, good chance at Barrett. Still in it with Zion.

Arizona- Already has O"Neal, Quinerly, Williams. Likely getting Little, Still after Grimes, Bol and others.

Recruiting is crazy!

• @BShark Ya He got me in the time I saw him last night. Looks like an energy guy, pretty fluid, and like the announcers were saying he thinks every rebound belongs to him - - -I like that. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Interesting take away is that Shittu and Barrett are perceived to be mutually exclusive. I think UK would want both, but it seemingly isn’t possible. If anyone could do it though, well…I’d certainly never count out Cal for anything.

• BShark said:

Interesting take away is that Shittu and Barrett are perceived to be mutually exclusive. I think UK would want both, but it seemingly isn’t possible. If anyone could do it though, well…I’d certainly never count out Cal for anything.

That was some crazy inside the details that Slater dropped on their situation yesterday.

Oregon fans went nuts thinking Shittu and Barrett were friends and the Canadian pipeline would continue.

Slater dropped all the info saying they are not friends, they had an issue a few years ago and Shittu’s handler and RJ’s father don’t get along. So the moral of the story is Kentucky could get 1 but not both. Both are considering Oregon but both won’t land there. Seems RJ to Duke is more of a possibility then RJ to anywhere else…

• @approxinfinity: The auto-tag from titles might need tweaking. I see it decided to make a tag for “thread” out of this one! And there is a spelling issue on the other tag…

• @BeddieKU23 UK writer said that KU is much more of a player for Barrett than people think. Of course, I don’t think anyone is getting Zion AND Barrett.

• @BShark

I believe that as well. The Zion news is the hot ticket right now but I feel we are probably in the same position for both at the moment. What’s interesting is his intel that Barrett won’t drag this out past the fall which I thought would be the plan with them reclassifying so late. Wherever he lands among the UK/Duke/KU trio that would assumingly take them out of the running for Zion. I think both Zion’s and RJ’s brands are big enough where they don’t want to be fighting for the limelight at the same school. I know Duke/UK fans believe they can get both but I don’t see it.

Slater seems to think Zion wants to end this early but his dad might drag this out to spring. I think both situations benefit KU for Zion in that case. We have the recent momentum with Dotson and them playing together and offering his good friend and AAU teammate James. If he waits until spring he can see who goes pro and how KU’s season goes. If Vick has a big season and leaves its likely Zion will see plenty of playing time available at the wing position. He could even end up being the perfect 4 man at KU as well with his size and athleticism

• So a quick recap of where things stand with recruits.

The lack of good big men in this class is concerning and the lack of targets on the board makes me believe KU thinks guys will be back or that recruits themselves are not sure what Doke & Preston will do at season’s end. It’s clear KU needs to land big’s in this class and the only players with legitimate interest are David McCormack & Emmitt Williams at this time. Most likely we’ll be going into the spring looking at late-signing, de-commits and transfers.

Rumored to be locks according to Andrew Slater.

Grimes & Dotson

In with a good chance:

Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett, Emmitt Williams, Noah Locke, David McCormack

In it but have work to do

Ayo Dosunmu (hasn’t visited, Illinois & Xavier have prioritized him), Romeo Langford (Louisville lean) , Louis King (waiting for UK) , Naz Reid (LSU likely), Moses Brown (wants blue-bloods but didn’t play well this summer), Keldon Johnson (offered late but Texas lean), Jalen Carey (KU prioritized Dotson/Grimes over him), Kaden Archie (new offer, late to party),

Unlikely options with offers

Jules Bernard (staying West Coast), David Duke (Providence lean), Deyontae Johnson (new offer), Demetrius James (Zion’s friend), Jermaine Harris (new offer, late to party), Jairus Hamilton (Not leaving North Carolina)

• I say get Mitchell Robinson if we can, that would be perfect aside from the personal issues he has.

@BeddieKU23 Solid consolidation of information. 👍🏻

• BShark said:

I say get Mitchell Robinson if we can, that would be perfect aside from the personal issues he has.

@BeddieKU23 Solid consolidation of information. 👍🏻

Everything about Robinson scares me.

• That’s fair. Could be the staff passes on him after having him in for a visit. We will see…

• To be honest I am almost positive he ends up at KU. KU is the only quality program with a scholarship to give. I could be wrong? Its all going to depend on what Coach Self and Robinson hash out. I also think it depends on whether he commits to playing in 2018/2019 if he doesn’t get cleared by the NCAA this year? The down side to this is he is projected in the top 10 on some draft boards. He could drop off the NBA radar all together and give Coach Self another DUD in the big department. Alexander and Company, Diallo, and coming soon to AFH Robinson and company. It could end up hurting Coach Self’s reputation if he leaves after not playing and going in the 2nd round or undrafted?

• 0_1502294290226_bbb.jpg He posted this and removed it on his twitter account. 8/2/17 I wonder why he felt he needed to take it down?

• I want Robinson and think he ends up here. For two years. He is a head case who I can guarantee slipped down 10 spots already just from all this stuff going on right now. And he doesn’t have Thon Maker upside (36inch vertical), while he has all the same Thon Maker negatives (skinny headcase who can’t hold post position and likes to shoot shots he probably shouldn’t). If Hamidou Diallo couldn’t get drafted in the first round after posting a 46 inch vertical, I find it hard to believe that Robinson will get drafted without playing.

• Mitchel Robinson reminds me of Anthony Davis in a lot of ways. That’s his ceiling, its game changing what he can possibly do in a KU uniform. Runs the floor well, long arms, athletic, can shoot the 3 although you don’t need him to. Looks like an NBA player to me. The only big in the 2018 class that’s as good as him is Bagley. There might have been more hype for Robinson had he chosen a blue-blood the first time.

I’m just scared that we get sucked into expecting something from him we can’t get if he ends up here. Is he another Carlton Bragg that continues to unravel under Self’s watch? Or is he Newman that takes the 2nd chance sincere and becomes apart of the team instead of what other people want from him. Can Self babysit someone that may have that many concerns surrounding him off-the-court? Are the concerns overblown? We’ll see how the visit shakes out

• just checked, we picked up two more CB’S for my boy Devon. - -Chad Lykins, & Adam Rowe predicted Devon ending up at KU CB is now 92% KU -8 % Florida.

I know this, after watching Devon last night, he certainly did nothing to change my mind on how I would love to see him here. I didn’t realize how quick he was. - -Very quick, really fast. Takes the ball to the rim hard - -very impressive. Lost count of how many times he left Jahvon holding his strap.

There is talk he needs to improve on his jumper, very well could be, seen him hit a couple, didn’t look to bad, - -made some sweet passes, have no doubt he will end up moving up & probably end up a 5 star, not that it matters that much - -4 star - -5 star, this kid can ball.

Just as I have been 100% Devon - -I’m now officially on board 100% for Emmit Williams & Robinson Earle both. - – Robinson Earle looks even better then I thought, true it was an all star game, still looked very fluid, mobile. - -Robinson Earle is a guy in our backyard we can’t let slip through I fingers & I don’t believe we will. Emmit Williams looks sweet again it was hi-light film but MAN he definitely brings an edge to the floor very aggressive. Loves to finish, we need these type of guys, I get so tired of a big working hard to get position & then 8 times out of 10 I have seen a liltle soft bank shot or a attempted finger roll. A Big gets position like that then we need guys that’s going to punish the rim , let that defender - -umm no don’t try stopping this - -this is my time. – Williams is that type of guy - -Really want to see him in a KU Uni next year - - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Some quick hits…

Robinson-Earl is very explosive and has been adding muscle. If he stays on this trajectory, he’s a top 25 player in his class IMHO.

Dotson, I like him because he’s comfortable finishing with either hand, even in traffic. Not many guards are really comfortable with that.

I am high on Williams’ athleticism, but not his overall skills. His shot isn’t as clean as I would like. He could contribute immediately defensively and on the glass, but I don’t know how effective he will be offensively out of the box.

Mitchell Robinson is good at basketball. He is impossibly skilled for his size. He’s a better shooter than Anthony Davis was at the same point, but probably not quite the athlete. Still, college players have very little chance of matching up with him on a nightly basis.

• So, if Robinson is as good as many say – if we sign him and he sits a year – why would he hang around for 2018-19?

• @HighEliteMajor I understand what your saying, & I have heard that from several - -saying he sits the year and practices with the team during the year & then declares for the NBA without playing a minute for KU. - -I have even thought about that myself, BUT I have also heard argument on the other foot people saying that they believe Coach Self will approach Robinson with the same line as he did Newman -If you come here your here for two you - -if not then you can walk to somebody else. - - Myself personally -I don’t know, my big concern as a lot of others is the baggage - -some Cancer with this kid. - -Can Coach get that straightened out? - -Maybe - -Possibly - -my concern is, is it worth the risk? - -Cancer PLUS not knowing if he ever steps foot on the floor in a KU uni? - -If it can be worked out – -then definitely he is a huge talent would help tremendously for our inside game. We shall see. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @HighEliteMajor he probably wouldnt want to. Newman stayed because his stock was lower while Robinson does not have that problem. Maybe we could get him as a partial qualifier for the spring semester? I would certainly take that.

• There has been a lot of momentum towards KU with many different high level players. Its fun to imagine, but what if all of the planets aligned and all of the real possibilities for KU end up happening AND our underclassmen remain vs going pro. Our team could look like the list below in 2018.

Moore, Grimes, Dotson, Garrett, Vick, Cunliffe, KJ Lawson, Zion Williamson, Lightfoot, D. Lawson, Preston, Dok, Mitchell Robinson

Its obvious that this will never happen but it seems like some of these recruits are an either/or situation. OR, Self knows that some of our returning guys are likely gone. I didn’t include Newman either because it is pretty much accepted that this year will be his last at KU barring serious injury.

The common thought is that we definitely are pursuing Dotson & Grimes and one is not dependent on the other, meaning there is room for both in addition to Moore. The tea leaves tell me this means Self believes Vick is gone.

The situation with the big men appears more complex. This one feels like maybe Self thinks the odds of getting Zion aren’t very high. The catch with this is that the decision from Mitchell Robinson has to be made by Aug 31 so he can’t make it a conditional offer based on Zion’s decision. Seems to me like it will need to be one or the other and might put Self in a tough spot.

• RockkChalkk said:

There has been a lot of momentum towards KU with many different high level players. Its fun to imagine, but what if all of the planets aligned and all of the real possibilities for KU end up happening AND our underclassmen remain vs going pro. Our team could look like the list below in 2018.

Moore, Grimes, Dotson, Garrett, Vick, Cunliffe, KJ Lawson, Zion Williamson, Lightfoot, D. Lawson, Preston, Dok, Mitchell Robinson

Its obvious that this will never happen but it seems like some of these recruits are an either/or situation. OR, Self knows that some of our returning guys are likely gone. I didn’t include Newman either because it is pretty much accepted that this year will be his last at KU barring serious injury.

The common thought is that we definitely are pursuing Dotson & Grimes and one is not dependent on the other, meaning there is room for both in addition to Moore. The tea leaves tell me this means Self believes Vick is gone.

The situation with the big men appears more complex. This one feels like maybe Self thinks the odds of getting Zion aren’t very high. The catch with this is that the decision from Mitchell Robinson has to be made by Aug 31 so he can’t make it a conditional offer based on Zion’s decision. Seems to me like it will need to be one or the other and might put Self in a tough spot.

I just don’t think you can land Grimes and Zion without Vick leaving. But what the hell do I know? Kentucky has been able to platoon before and somehow convinced kids to buy in.

Everything else is possible, but not probable. Between Doke, Robinson and Preston, two of those if not all three, will turn pro after this season.

• This is down the road -but kid is exploding on the scene. - -Read where we offered yesterday a 2020 wing player by the name of Jabri Adur-rahim - - he received offers from KU - - -Arizona - - -& Michigan State in the 24 hour time frame, gonna be a very good player - lots of offers coming. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54

It’s the two Duke guys following Slater’s lead. It isn’t meaningless but they are acting on known info.

Oh and if you are a good guard but need to work on your jump shot, you should pick Kansas. There is little doubt. See: Frank Mason, Wayne Selden, Travis Releford. There were better shooters to play under Self, but those three needed major help and got it. Mason was UNREAL last year.

• @RockkChalkk Looks like Moore could be a back-up. Slater mentioned that when asked KU’s main guard targets said they were not afraid of Moore. And rightfully so.

• “I think Kansas makes sense,” he said, “from the perspective of his relationship with [5-star point guard] Devon Dotson, who may wind up [committing to Kansas] fairly soon, his strong connection to Adidas [Williamson plays on that shoe-company’s AAU circuit] and Kansas’ ability to showcase players like him, as they did with Josh Jackson [No. 4 overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft]. He also has a strong relationship with Bill Self.”

• 2018 PG Devon Dotson is scheduled to officially visit the University of Kansas later this month. The #20 ranked player in the 247Sports 2018 rankings will begin his visit to Kansas on August 25th-27th.

Dotson is fresh off of his impressive performance at the SC30 Select game in San Francisco on Tuesday night, putting on a show at Under Armour All-America Camp, putting on another show with fellow KU recruit Zion Williamson in Las Vegas and being one of the top players on the UAA circuit the entire spring and summer.

Kansas Assistant Coach Norm Roberts and Head Coach Bill Self lead the way in the recruitment of Dotson to Kansas.

Dotson is also considering Florida, Maryland, Miami and more.

• Check it out guys - -nice little article on 247, with the headline -Is KU trending for the # 1 player, talking about Zion - -check it out talks about Slater. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• If everything hold up withDD then I think he will be a jayhawk

• RockkChalkk said:

There has been a lot of momentum towards KU with many different high level players. Its fun to imagine, but what if all of the planets aligned and all of the real possibilities for KU end up happening AND our underclassmen remain vs going pro. Our team could look like the list below in 2018.

Your tea leaves may be correct. I just think Self is recruiting numbers, you lose your starting PG, SG, SF and TBD in the post and your stuck needing everything. Vick with a good year is a candidate to at least be in the combine. It’s why we are gaining traction with elite players such as Zion because these kids know they can come in and play. Dotson is needed, Grimes is needed maybe more because of his ability to play multiple positions.

With Zion you just make room for him. He’s the type of recruit that changes the balance of College Basketball. His Brand is bigger then Wiggins or Jackson’s ever will be. I think its huge that he could possibly end up here. We’ll see though I’m not getting my hopes up with him.

• BShark said:

2018 PG Devon Dotson is scheduled to officially visit the University of Kansas later this month. The #20 ranked player in the 247Sports 2018 rankings will begin his visit to Kansas on August 25th-27th.

Dotson is fresh off of his impressive performance at the SC30 Select game in San Francisco on Tuesday night, putting on a show at Under Armour All-America Camp, putting on another show with fellow KU recruit Zion Williamson in Las Vegas and being one of the top players on the UAA circuit the entire spring and summer.

Kansas Assistant Coach Norm Roberts and Head Coach Bill Self lead the way in the recruitment of Dotson to Kansas.

Dotson is also considering Florida, Maryland, Miami and more.

He will commit on the visit and announce after! Bold prediction, I know

• HighEliteMajor said:

So, if Robinson is as good as many say – if we sign him and he sits a year – why would he hang around for 2018-19?

Pretty much what I’ve been saying. The Robinson situation scares me. He’s a OAD that has made his situation difficult now to achieve that.

There is nothing stopping him from saying what he needs to say to Self, training for the year with the team and then hitting the draft once the season comes around and he starts feeling that he belongs there as well.

• justanotherfan said:

Some quick hits…

Robinson-Earl is very explosive and has been adding muscle. If he stays on this trajectory, he’s a top 25 player in his class IMHO.

Dotson, I like him because he’s comfortable finishing with either hand, even in traffic. Not many guards are really comfortable with that.

I am high on Williams’ athleticism, but not his overall skills. His shot isn’t as clean as I would like. He could contribute immediately defensively and on the glass, but I don’t know how effective he will be offensively out of the box.

Mitchell Robinson is good at basketball. He is impossibly skilled for his size. He’s a better shooter than Anthony Davis was at the same point, but probably not quite the athlete. Still, college players have very little chance of matching up with him on a nightly basis.

Robinson-Earl just looks like a Perry Ellis clone. Great footwork, dominates in the paint and as you said has become a much more explosive athlete as he’s maturing and getting older. Will be a great addition to the KU team in 19.

Williams has been developing that shot. In the spring he shot something like 15-23 from 3 in an tournament. At his size you do want him to continue to work on it but how much will he really need to work on it with all the other things he does. Elite motor, elite athletic ability, he dunked on Bagley this summer with authority. He has this nasty edge to him that you don’t find in many players at this stage. He can switch defensively and guard wings or body up bigs that are taller then him. Going to be a tough pull from Nike and his handler but whoever gets him is getting a really good player.

Agree about Robinson. Big ceiling, his situation is scary though

• Matt Scott accurately describes Emmitt Williams.

Think about Jamari Traylor. Now multiply that by 100 and you have Emmitt. I can’t describe to you what a freak he is. You have to see it in person.

In the video - he goes up for a block, recovers, and then blocks Jontay Porter’s TWO HAND DUNK ATTEMPT!!! Jontay is 6’10" and at least 230 lbs and Emmitt sat him down.

You never have to run a play for him (although the play he hits a 3 in the video is called Kansas) and he will get 8 points, 10 rebounds and 2 blocks a night and those would be just effort stats. I would take that every single day and twice on Sunday.

• @BeddieKU23 Dotson could even announce beforehand and take the visit just for fun.

And yeah, Williams would be a great get.

• Lets all hope Coach Self can pull of another 2013 recruiting class! I am all for it BUT I am not going to get excited until they sign LOI’s! Last year was a bummer! I really hope Robinson lands at KU and he can play this year! If that happens then I like our chances in March. After BOTH of our bigs missed the last game this summer I am not comfortable with our lack of depth!

• @BeddieKU23 I am all for Robinsons committing to KU and doing just that. I think he makes our team better even if he is just making Udoka work harder in practice. It will benefit KU but I hope he plays a year!

• https://wingspansports.com/2017/08/09/mitchell-robinson-to-visit-kansas/

Kansas already has the best backcourt in the country and their wings are phenomenal so if they get Robinson, this roster will be one of the best in the country and by a long shot.

• I got this from another board but its looks promising. “I’m not so sure Robinson actually met the conditions for a transfer. From the NCAA, “Transfer trigger: A condition that can affect your transfer status. A student who triggers transfer status is a student who: • Has been a full-time student at a two-year or four-year college during a regular academic term. Classes taken during summer terms do not count. • Practiced with a college team. • Practiced or competed while enrolled as a part-time student. • Received financial aid from a college while attending summer school.” He didn’t meet all the conditions, so it’s possible he can play.”

http://kansas.247sports.com/Board/Kansas-Jayhawks-Message-Board-Forum-59455

• @Statmachine I think the last condition is the one in question, did he receive aid during summer school? Then, if he did, it can’t be that much. I wonder if paying it back could be a condition to get his eligibility back for this year. May be a stretch but never know.

• @RockkChalkk If he dropped the classes after being there 2 weeks he wouldn’t have used any aid