Josh Suspended For 1 Game

• Thursday’s game of course. Y’all know what for.

• @BShark Can Frank tell coach he backed into a car too?

• It seems to me that part of the “in house” discipline for the earlier incident included a probation of sorts. I.e. Don’t step a toe out of line or be involved with police in anyway or face suspension. The biggest issue with this incident seems to be him not leaving his info and not telling coach. This team is doing a great job of manufacturing adversity and distractions this year. So many bad decisions.

• @BShark Man this team is lucky to have Frank and Landen. What a mess this team would be without their steady leadership. I appreciate your comment, but seriously, can you imagine how much trouble these young fellas could have gotten into without Frank and Landen setting such a great example?

• i read this wrong, sorry, it says a feb traffic accident?

• The court date is poor timing. Wish he’d told coach upfront so maybe the date would be different.

Bill is there to help you guys. He may scold you, but he just wants the best outcome.

Obviously these kids need to mature and need help along the way, wish they’d readily accept the help.

• @benshawks08 you are right, so many distractions, so many off the court problems. I have 6 kids, the bad behaving kids get all the attention bc they need to be guided. My wife and I constantly have to redirect our attention and we choose to give positive attention instead of bad. At this time, I choose to give praise to all our players who continue to be good on and off the court, men who are great ambassadors of our program. I appreciate the like of Mason, LL, Svi, ML, Tyler Self and our walk ons. Thank you men for being good on and off the court. Heres to hoping these young men get their off the court troubles shored up.

• Goodness, why can’t this team have their heads on straight. Got old weeks ago.

• @Jayrawks1 dwight coleby and anyone else I missed

• We’ll hear about this about 900 times in the game tomorrow. I guess they’re too old and too big to spank them, aren’t they?

• @KUSTEVE your right we will hear this constantly, I’m not even going to the other schools boards today once they catch wind - -holy crap they will all be boo -hooin and sayin I can just see it now - -it will be like ONE GAME? - -ONE Game? - -oh how convienent Ku suspends him for their opening round of the Big 12 tourney - -there will be countless statement like this. - Can we just get past this pile of doo now please. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Josh is definitely learning the hard way. Watching his team and not being able to help them will teach him a few things. He has such a hi bb iq, we forget he’s an immature 19 year old kid. Man are his insurance rates going up!

• Editing my post, I thought this was from the other incident… Jeez the headlines just don’t stop

• He better hope his draft stock doesn’t go down… Moving down just 1 pick could cost him $1.2M. Going down 2 picks would cost him $2.1M. 3 picks would cost him $3.1M. Etc.

It is a lot of money to play basketball still, but also a lot of money to lose if something were to happen and he couldn’t play past his rookie contract.

• @BeddieKU23 It could be what you say…but it is also true that a transgression, whatever it is, is always worse if it is the 2nd time (or 3rd, etc) something has happened vs. an instance where it is the first.

• @Hawk8086

I spoke to soon and edited my post because at first I thought this was saving face. But now learn its a seperate incident in which Josh is involved with makes this a no brainer, Self had to do it.

• @BeddieKU23 Got it.

• @Kcmatt7 nah, not a character issue. he can hire a driver after he’s paid. 🤑

• @dylans …and maybe the driver he hires is fast and slick enough to avoid legal consequences for accidents the likes of which Josh was too inexperienced to escape?

• @REHawk I was thinking avoid them altogether!

• @Crimsonorblue22 said:

Josh is definitely learning the hard way.

I am afraid there is little evidence he is learning anything. And he is hurting his teammates with this crap.

I am just afraid he thinks he has Self over a barrel. Our OADs have been really good about completing their schoolwork, so they haven’t hurt the KU Academic Performance Index. But any one of them could pull a Ben Simmons and cause all types of problems.

I doubt if HCBS feels he has the same range of options as he has for someone who needs KU more than KU needs him. And that is one of the many issues with having your program depend on getting those guys–once the season winds down, they no longer feel as vested but they are still as stupid as other freshmen.

• @mayjay Very well said. Lots of moving parts.

• @BeddieKU23 this isn’t with the vandalism of the car? - -JUMPIN - - GEE – HOSSA - -FATS. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @dylans Not a chance that he will avoid future problems off the court. If I am an NBA evaluator I’m beginning to feel reservations about staking a #1 or #2 draft status on this kid. Terrific player with major upside on the court, but a problem child awaiting legal issues outside the gym. For him to have boxed himself and the coaching staff into a post season suspension, even for one weak opponent, he has placed the program in jeopardy. Piss ant misbehaviors!

• you think some people over react just a tad on some of this? - -I mean ya, it’s not good but dam some people make it like the sky is falling.

I mean let’s keep this is perspective good GOD, some posters here are more worried about the program instead of the person. - -He is a teenage kid -I’ll ask this one more time - -name me or tell me of ONE PESON here that hasn’t pulled some kind of bone head mistake during their growing up years? - If someone says me - -I call BS, All - -and I mean everyone has made mistakes in their life - -you grow from your mistakes -you learn from your mistakes - -BUT for some people who come across my worried or the program and not the kid - -is bullshit. - Everyone makes quote unquote " piss ant " decisions some time or another. There are some people I just have to shake my head at.

• Boy if Henry Ford hadn’t invented the car we’ never have anything to talk about with Josh Jackson.

• For cripes sake, it was a small fender bender while backing up in a parking lot. Although he did not leave his information at the time, he apparently took care of it but did not inform the coaching staff. A mistake? Obviously yes. Is he a poor driver? Likely. Is this going to scare NBA scouts? Not a chance.

When I worked at a gas station in my Freshman year in college…back then when gas station had attendants who pumped gas and checked the oil…there was one scuzzy looking guy that would stop by in a super beat up car and bragged how he parked near the exit of a luxury condominium high rise and waited for older drivers to exist and then drove right in front of them and got hit and settled for cash on the spot. We finally told one of the cops that used to stop by and the police eventually followed and arrested him for creating accidents

I can see how there could be people that would do the same to a guy that is expected to be a millionaire in a few months.and I can also see why Josh would be leery of that happening…and no, I am not saying this is what happened but I can understand why Josh would do what he did; I don’t condone it but I can certainly understand it.

Having done my share of bone headed mistakes when young, I am not one to pass judgement on this kid that is under a microscope, something I cannot even imagine what is like. Had one of the end of bench players done the same thing, we would not have even heard of it.

• @JayHawkFanToo Thank you exactly what I’m saying I mean good gosh. I got a question I just got into a discussion with my brother, about this - -is this car that Josh hit - -I does this car belong to the female KU basketball player Calvert? - - - He is saying how she shouldn’t have a chance to come back, her scholi shouldn’t have a chance to come back - -did this accident involve her car? - I didn’t think THIS time had anything to do with her did it? - -I know the vandalism did- -but this is totally separate right? - -He said this was her car thatJosh hit - -I don’t think so right - this has nothing to do with her does it this time?

On another note with Josh being suspended this game so what - Does that mean we play Vick & SVI in the starting line up, don’t have much choice do we? - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54

Apparently its not. A separate issue. I had originally thought this was KU/or Self caving to the media pressure and suspending him. Well technically this other issue and subsequent suspension are linked because its unlikely he would have been suspended at all if he didn’t have a separate vandalism case.

Continual poor choices is now costing us a star player for a game.

• @jayballer54

Separate incidents. Vick will be starting for Jackson with Bragg first off the bench and Coleby and Lightfoot probably seeing decent playing time. should be able to handle TCU short handed but a loss would not bother me too much since it provides extended rest time before teh games that actually count

KU’s #1 seed is by all practical purposes locked in but you never know…a loss to TCU might give the committee the excuse it needs to shaft KU.

• @JayHawkFanToo

The rest thing sounds great.

But losing to a team that has lost 7 straight games wouldn’t be considered positive either

• @JayHawkFanToo sounds like he took care of it after video tape Proved it was his car. It’s wrong! Deserves to sit. I still think he’ll learn, but I have a lot of faith in most kids.

• @Crimsonorblue22

I did not say it was right or condoned it; I just said I understand it. I have no issue with the one game suspension either.

• @wissox DAMN Henry Ford…

• @dylans Hit and run is a little bit of a character issue… Let’s not act like it isn’t.

• @BeddieKU23

…not unless Coach Self plays the rest of your starters 20 minutes and lets the bench go at it…😄

I don’t think Coach Self would do this since many would consider disrespectful to the other team, even when it gives it a chance to move on and earn the automatic bid.

• Good thing Embiid didn’t learn how to drive!

• @JayHawkFanToo If it were “just a fender bender” he wouldn’t be going to court… And trying to explain it away like he was being extorted is even funnier. He broke the law. Ran. And then made it worse.

The one good thing is that at least he has a conscience and somehow took care of 90% of the issue.

• @Crimsonorblue22

He would tweet from the scene of the accident…😃

• @wissox hahah too true!

• Carlton Bragg? Please report to the front desk. Carlton Bragg.

Time for Carlton to experience Ball growth of both kinds!

• @Kcmatt7

You really need to re-read my post. It was indeed the textbook definition of a fender bender.. He was given a ticket for careless driving, after the fact, and like with every single ticket issued for any reason, a court date was provided. He can either pay the fine, if one is specified in the ticket, talk to the prosecuting attorney at the pleading docket or get an attorney and contest the charge.

In my neck of the woods, if restitution has been made, the ticket is usually dismissed for the lighter offenses or amended to a non-moving violation and the fine doubled for the not so light offenses; this is even done with speeding tickets, provided the speed did not exceed certain limit or was in school zone during restricted hours. Nothing new here that is not done most everywhere.

This is what I said:

"I can see how there could be people that would do the same to a guy that is expected to be a millionaire in a few months.and I can also see why Josh would be leery of that happening…and no, I am not saying this is what happened but I can understand why Josh would do what he did; I don’t condone it but I can certainly understand it."

Now, where did I say he was being extorted? I guess you missed this part…

"I am not saying this is what happened…"

I was simply relating a personal experience to illustrate how celebrities and wealthy people are frequent targets of people trying to make a quick buck. That’s all.

Again, I did not say it was right or condoned it; I just said I understand it.

• @JayHawkFanToo It was a hit and run for a hefty majority of people. If it was just that, a fender bender, than why did you even bring up the other examples?

You are trying to justify what he did. You can say all the little quips afterwards, “I don’t condone”, “I’m not saying that’s what happened.” But when you say the things you do before that, it nullifies that you actually believe it. You are saying it just so you don’t get any backlash.

If you don’t condone behavior, don’t make excuses for it. Otherwise, you are actually condoning it.

• @Kcmatt7

I clearly wrote I don’t condone it…I don’t know how I can be any clearer than that

There is a big difference between “condoning” which I don’t and "understanding: which I do. You want to see what you want and not what I clearly meant in my post and that is OK, we obviously have different opinions and we should leave it at that.

• 10 times.

What’s that?

The number of times now I have thrown up a warning that our basketball program needs to have a system in place to better monitor players while off the court.

I’m already sickened by the east coast media discounting our incredible season, with incredible players… just to beat the drum of some silly issues (except the alleged rape).

• Josh Jackson.

Giving KU fans an unlikely topic to argue about since 2016.

All rights reserved. Conditions may apply. Valid only in some states. Subject to change without notice.

• @drgnslayr

That would be nice…but how do you do it?

The programs has monitors in place that wait for every player at every class they take and if he misses class the coaching staff gets the information immediately. Other than that, short of having a chaperone with every player 24/7, there is not really much else the program can do; you can’t really monitor a player all the time, to do so it would be not only impossible/impractical but bordering on illegal…invasion of privacy and such.

Coach Self has indicated in many occasions that players are constantly and repeatedly reminded of the rules, not only the NCAA but the school and program/team rules as well. No question this has been a trying year but I would not say it is typical of the program which by and large has been pretty clean.

Again, I understand where you are comi9ng from and what you mean but I just don’t see how it could be done.

• @JayHawkFanToo

The only way is to chaperone on every player 24/7. The chaperones are usually other players, like walk-ons. And there should be one player being “the mom.” There has to be a structure of accountability. Schedules in writing… etc.

This is how it worked when I played ball in Europe. And we visited many countries that had different laws, customs and language. It was a bigger deal in eastern block countries. It worked very, very well!

There is simply no excuse for what has happened this year. None.

I’m willing to bet that if we don’t do something about this… we will have something very very bad happen soon!

Actually… I bet this could really HELP our recruiting (instead of possibly hurting it because of our current press). I think a lot of parents would appreciate the focus on off-court activities!

• I’m surprised Josh didn’t tell a teammate about the accident. I would think they wouldn’t hesitate to tell him to tell coach! Those asst coaches check on them.

• @Crimsonorblue22

Probably afraid that with all that has been going on off-court Coach will blow a gasket…he should know better.