Non-KU games

• What in the world is Oregon doing?

• I see they squeaked it out. Nova looking to be in big trouble!

• What’s with the terrapins? I expected them to be better honestly

• Wow Butler goes on an 18-0 run and sweeps Nova.

• @cragarhawk Honestly, in all the time I have sporadically watched Turgeon’s teams, from WSU to aTm to Maryland…I’ve never been able to figure out what his style is. What does he do? Is he a Larry Brown disciple? I think his time at KU he pre-dates Roy, so I dont think he’s a Roy/UNC style.

Bottom line: I’m not impressed with Mark Turgeon. He hasnt given me anything to point at, now has he? Ever.

• Nova loses to Butler.

KSU routed after being ahead by 14. 2-7 in the last 9 games and not looking good.

• @ralster idk. I thought his WSU teams were atleast fundamentally sound and played D well, which wouldn’t to me suggest Roy Williams deciple. So idk. It’s a good point you make that there is inconsistency in the style. I see that.

• @cragarhawk I personally think G.Marshall is a better recruiter than Turgeon-- and that is Marshall’s biggest weakness (not an elite recruiter).

People talk about this Melo Trimble kid, but he’s no Frank Mason. I’ve seen him play, even against us in the Tourney. Not impressed.

I guess my question to more knowledgeable KU fans than me, is: Why should we expect Maryland to be good or “better”? Just because some of KU nation wants to root for Turgeon? I thought his aTm teams were 55-60ppg slowpokes.

• @ralster agreed with ATM teams. No question. Idk if it’s because I think I want Turg to succeed. Perhaps it was the nationally buzz of his team. And maybe just the thought they should be able to build upon what they had. I can’t really say. I guess I just expected them to be better.

• @cragarhawk Well said. I’m just clueless when it comes to Turgeon, I gotta admit.

• @JayHawkFanToo

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuced.

• I wonder if they won the play hard chart. Final Score doesn’t seem to indicate whether that was announced or not

• Really quite something how KSU and Okie Lite have went in opposite directions. The game last night was the perfect microcosm of it even. Okie Lite started the conference 0-6 and is now 8-7. KSU started 4-3 and is now 6-9.

Also the season is right there for ISU. Not sure if religious hillbilly Prohm made a breakthrough or what but they could easily get a clear cut 2nd place in this league. They will have to earn it. Home against Baylor and at WVU.

• @BShark

Definitely KSU has sunk the ship in February. Couldn’t happen to a better group of guys and Coach.

ISU with its seniors just sitting there quietly.

The OSU game will be mighty tough the way they are playing

• @BeddieKU23

Yep I could see ISU going 0-3 their last three games. Those will be big games, I hope they aren’t on when KU is playing because I’d like to watch.

We will find out about Prohm really fast next year. They lose their entire team basically. I think Wigginton will be a great one for them but he will be a FR and not surrounded by much.

• Bruce Weber fun time.

David Scott Fritchen‏@DScottFritchen 10h10 hours ago

Bruce Weber is 7-50 when trailing with 10:00 to go at K-State. 8 replies 22 retweets 26 likes

Ken Corbitt @KenCorbitt

Bruce Weber on hearing boos: “That’s fans. That’s their choice.” 11:18 PM - 22 Feb 2017

• @BShark

Reading their board they are in the running for a good JUCO big from Hutchinson- Juiston and a Post from Putnam Science who’s got some long term ability. Looks like they will get the Hutchinson kid, apparently very skilled, won Peach Jam a few years back with Isiah Briscoe.

Projecting their Starting 5 right now…

PG- Jackson

SG- Wigginton

SF- Babb

PF- (Insert Recruit)/ Solomon Young

C- (Insert Recruit)/Cameron Lard

Definitely a step back, no way around it.

• @BeddieKU23

Well they certainly need bigs. Looks like the Juiston kid is 6’7’’. Perfect ISU post lol. Doesn’t appear to be a heated race for his services so I imagine they will land him. I guess at least they have an idea who else they will be landing, doesn’t feel like we really do. We know Self will fill most of the scholarships but he couldn’t quite fill them for this season so who knows.

• @BShark

Easier for ISU to fill their class at this point as they are after all JUCO’s besides the Yetna kid. These offers to ISU might be their holy grail and obviously ISU is known for JUCO’s…

They offered De’Quon Lake, Juiston, Raynere Thornton, Kyvon Davenport, and a guard Davion Cole-Johnson. Looks like they will get at least 2 of this group…

Lake is saying KU could be on his list of visits this spring… ISU, KSU others as well…

And your right it doesn’t really make them a big team again. Although Lard & Kasongo will give them better length, its unknown how good either will be.

• @BShark So when do the Purple P----s start using Webber’s name in their chant?

• @mayjay said:

@BShark So when do the Purple P-----s start using Webber’s name in their chant?

😆

@BeddieKU23 said:

@BShark

Easier for ISU to fill their class at this point as they are after all JUCO’s besides the Yetna kid. These offers to ISU might be their holy grail and obviously ISU is known for JUCO’s…

They offered De’Quon Lake, Juiston, Raynere Thornton, Kyvon Davenport, and a guard Davion Cole-Johnson. Looks like they will get at least 2 of this group…

Lake is saying KU could be on his list of visits this spring… ISU, KSU others as well…

And your right it doesn’t really make them a big team again. Although Lard & Kasongo will give them better length, its unknown how good either will be.

Oh for sure, KU goes after way bigger names. We will get more players, just don’t know who they are right now.

I remember Lake’s name being mentioned before. Assuming Bragg is back it would be hard to do much better for a big due to the lack of pt available. At least he is 6’10’’ so he could presumably play back-up center for Doke.

As for Kasongo I remember when his name was mentioned with KU for a bit. Did not want.

• @BeddieKU23 I think KSU is screwed, I think they have played their way out of the tourney I think TCU has played their way of the tourney. I watched most of the KSU game last night and just smh, these guys are an absolute train wreck, but yet read their board and see where the AD just rewarded Weber another extension on his contract through 2019 - -with no pay increase. - -Need less to say many people there are REALLY happy with that. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54

Usually I’m all for the conference getting another bid but with KSU I really don’t want them in the tournament. They are doing exactly as planned 😄

• kstate.jpg

Credit to @KSU_Fan on twitter for this gem.

• This KSU team just looks like they don’t give a shit. Got the same vibes from Weber’s later Illinois teams. That’s gotta be on Weber right?

• @BShark Imagine a whole season of hearing that voice everyday… I’d want the season to be over sooner if I played for him too.

Weber needs to go. Can’t keep guys there. Can’t recruit. Dude needs to be done. They won’t ever be more than they are right now under him.

• @BShark

I think Weber has the issue of making too many excuses for his team. When you make lots of excuses, that flows down to the rest of your team and breaks their resolve. They tend to quit when things get tough because that’s when the excuses start to flow.

@Kcmatt7

Weber is probably either the worst or second worst coach in the Big 12 right now. He wants to act like a big time Power 5 coach, but, as we saw at Illinois and now KSU, he just doesn’t have the skill in any of the areas (retention, recruiting, in-game, preparation) to maintain a mid to high level program in a Power 5 conference.

I wouldn’t be surprised if KSU didn’t win another game this season (remaining schedule is at OU, at TCU, home for Tech. They are leaking serious oil and, if they don’t pull it together and win some games, they will go from a 15-4 start to missing the NCAA tournament entirely. That should be a fireable offense, but with KSU, who knows.

The crazy thing is, if they win their last three and win one in the Big 12 tournament, they would make the NCAA field at 21-12 (9-9 in conference). Big 12 is getting at least six teams in the field, so finishing sixth with a .500 record would be enough to get a bid, especially if they knocked off either Baylor or WVU in the first round of the conference tourney.

• @justanotherfan

Completely agree in fact I’ve often said teams take on the personality of their coach.

As far as is he the ranking coaches in this league I would say…

Self

Kruger/Huggins (both have the same number of final fours as Self but no ring)

Drew (he has his detractors but Baylor is consistently good)/Dixon

Beard/Underwood (both up and comers, potential to rise)

Prohm (I really dislike Prohm but ISU is showing life late)

Weber

Wet Napkin

Shaka Smart

@Kcmatt7 said:

@BShark Imagine a whole season of hearing that voice everyday… I’d want the season to be over sooner if I played for him too.

Weber needs to go. Can’t keep guys there. Can’t recruit. Dude needs to be done. They won’t ever be more than they are right now under him.

They really missed the boat not firing him last year. It will be harder to get Underwood now.

• @BShark

I’d agree with most of that, but I would have Smart much higher than you do (probably between the Kruger/Huggins pair and Drew/Dixon). I think Weber and Prohm are at the bottom. I am impressed with Beard, though I need to see him recruit. I think Underwood was a sneaky good hire for OSU, but there’s no way they crack what I consider my top six (Self, Huggins, Kruger, Smart, Drew, Dixon).

• @justanotherfan

Beard seems to be on the ISU recruiting model so far.

They have transfers from Depaul, Florida and 3 JUCO’s… The two HS kids they signed ranked #216 & #234 according to 247. One of the Juco’s is #6 overall.

• @BShark

Yes… Bruce deserves all the “credit.”

I don’t attempt to follow the inside workings of the purple kitties… but I do watch some of their games.

They seem to have lost all team swagger. I felt that their swagger was a big part of what was holding their pants up this season. They definitely need to recruit a few better players, and more important, players that properly fit with other players. They seem to be starved for a dominant swing forward (3).

• @BeddieKU23

A kid that won Peach Jam (MVP???) and ended up at JuCo raises all kinds of red flags.

• @BShark

Bruce Weber on hearing boos: “It is just envy, I tell you, Calipari, Pitino and I hear it all the time; all great coaches do.” 11:18 PM - 22 Feb 2017

• This will be the last year of Bruceketball if they don’t make the tourney.

• @wrwlumpy said:

This will be the last year of Bruceketball if they don’t make the tourney.

Okay so now I want KSU to win their last 3 regular season games.

@drgnslayr said:

@BShark

Yes… Bruce deserves all the “credit.”

I don’t attempt to follow the inside workings of the purple kitties… but I do watch some of their games.

They seem to have lost all team swagger. I felt that their swagger was a big part of what was holding their pants up this season. They definitely need to recruit a few better players, and more important, players that properly fit with other players. They seem to be starved for a dominant swing forward (3).

But I was told by KSU fans that Iwundu was basically Josh Jackson? 😟

• So…who finishes second?

ISU, VWU and Baylor all play each other once, so…on the outside chance and super long shot that KU loses the rest of the games, only one of those 3 team could tie KU and to do this it would have to beat the other two team plus its other games.

Saturday 25 - Baylor at ISU. The loser is eliminated from contention.

Monday 27 - WVU at Baylor The loser and potentially bot are eliminated from contention.

March 3 - ISU at WVU…the smoke clears.

Since they are all playing one home and one away chances are they cancel each other out.

Assuming they all hold at home, a win by ISU the 25 and a win by Baylor the 27 would eliminate WVU and Baylor and ISU would have to beat OSU away to clinch second spot or potential tie with KU but this is unlikely to happen. Baylor other game is at Texas and WVU at home against TCU. Lots of scenarios but most likely is WVU goes 3-0 and gets second, ISU and Baylor go 1-2 and tie for 3rd.

What do you all think?

• Their AD should be fired for this, too.

Anyone with any concept of NCAA basketball knew Weber would fail at Kansas State.

Together, they have destroyed everything Huggy/Frank “I’m always Mad” Martin did to resurrect the program.

• Real post from a KSU board early this year

“Speaking of Jackson, Dave, I have a feeling that Xavier could end up turning more heads this year than Josh.”

Xavier meaning KSU player Xavier Sneed. Lol.

• Let’s go for a live look-in

Player A

28 30.3 6.3 12.4 .507 5.4 9.9 .543 0.9 2.5 .366 3.0 5.3 .561 7.1 3.0 1.7 1.1 2.6 3.1 16.5

Player B

28 19.8 2.6 5.8 .451 1.4 2.3 .585 1.3 3.5 .361 1.6 2.2 .754 2.9 0.7 1.0 0.3 1.1 2.3 8.1

• @JayHawkFanToo

Tough upbringing. From inner-city New Jersey. Walked home Freshman year from high school by a taped up murder scene. Gets home the cops later knock on his door telling him his brother has been killed. Article says it weighs heavily on his mind everyday.

A lot of character references pointing to a really good kid, . Here’s some of what is written about the kid from an Iowa St writer…

I’ll tell you how nice he is. When he’s on the court when someone from the other team falls, even if he didn’t knock him over, he goes across the court to pick him up. The referee told him the other day, ‘Hey, zero, you don’t have to do that.’ Shakur was like, ‘I’m just trying to show good sportsmanship

Here the fans love him. My head coach got an email like two weeks ago, he doesn’t even know who it’s from, but somebody sent an email that they watched Shakur after a game, we’re going to our locker room and he sees an older person struggling walking out the door and he went over and helped her out to her car. We don’t even know who wrote that saying how great that is and we should be proud. That’s the kind of kid he is

• @BShark

I remember that thread where every Kansas St player was better then KU’s… Gotta love when a fan-base drinks together

• @BeddieKU23 said:

@BShark

I remember that thread where every Kansas St player was better then KU’s… Gotta love when a fan-base drinks together

The GOAT of KSU tuck threads really. BETTER AT EVERY POSITION. Oh well then surely you will sweep KU and win the league…oh right.

• @JayHawkFanToo

I believe West Virginia could finish 2nd. I don’t think they lose to Baylor in Waco, they just dominated them so much the first time and the one thing that Baylor can’t fix going into the 2nd game is ball pressure. KU forced Baylor into a lot of turnovers so imagine what West Virginia will try and do again.

ISU has a tough 3 game stretch…

• @BeddieKU23 what I hope my kids do! Lead by example!

• @Crimsonorblue22

I hope the same for my son. Crazy this kid is in JUCO from the sounds of it. reminds of the path Kevin Young had to get to KU

• @BeddieKU23

I really don’t know any thing about the kid but I am curious how he ended up in JuCo if he is that good? Even a mid-major program would have been a better option…one would think.

There are usually two reason why Division I quality players end up at JuCo. One, grades so bad that even marginal programs will not take them and two, off the court issues that most programs will pass…maybe there is a third?

Like I said, I don’t know anything about him so I am not passing judgement one way or another, I am just curious how he ended up at Juco…

• I would guess grades. That’s just a guess though. Mason went to prep school due to grades, honestly I think prep school might be a better route than JUCO but from what @BeddieKU23 posted about his upbringing that might not have been an option for him.

• @JayHawkFanToo

It doesn’t say exactly why he ended up at Hutchinson. He is 6’7 so not your typical big, in-between positions. It does sound like probably grades and his brothers death have derailed him a bit. He has a lot of offers but sounds like Iowa St has really zero’d in on him. A lot of reports are that he’s ready to play D-1

• @BeddieKU23

Hopefully it has a good ending. KU took a chance on a somewhat similar kid…Jamari Traylor…worked well for both sides.

• @JayHawkFanToo said:

What do you all think?

I think it is good that you are an engineer and can see and sort through all these connections.