Guaranteed Rate Bowl News

• KU will be without LT Dominic Puni who has decided to opt out to focus on preparing for the NFL where he’s projected as a guard who should go sometime in day 2 of the NFL Draft (2nd or 3rd round).

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Not surprising but what a find and job by LL and staff. Kid was at a D2 Missouri school before transferring in.

• I think Devin ends up entering the Draft . Well no maybe I’d say mor like 50/50 right now. A lot of things to consider, Average life span in the NFL for running backs is very shorts-- -3 years they said I think in a way he might wanna come back though and become the all time rushing leader being a home town kid, has been mentioned before. Can’t blame him either way

• It is kind of sad in a way, however, I will not be surprised if true RB position is ultimately gone from NFL.

I can see this position evolve into a hybrid TE position.

• The UNLV defense gives up 6.1 yds per play and 35.5 pts per game in the Mountain West. What? KU’s offense is going to need oxygen in the huddle. My home is full of relatives, so I won’t be at the game. I really hope losing Coach Kotelnicki won’t dampen KU’s offense. Score quickly, score often and rout the Rebs. KU needs a bowl win.

• DE Austin Booker is also not with KU in Phoenix.

• I hear Booker is very likely going to the NFL and has already moved out. At any rate, I don’t think he’s coming back to Kansas.

• @KirkIsMyHinrich said in Guaranteed Rate Bowl News:

I hear Booker is very likely going to the NFL and has already moved out. At any rate, I don’t think he’s coming back to Kansas.

He’s home in Indy weighing his future options.

• I really dislike it starts at 8 jayhawk time

• I would think if he’s not playing that he’s already decided on the option he plans to take. I understand the worry of an injury but wasn’t that possible every game during the season. Our sense of loyalty (to team, teammates, school, etc.) seems to have disappeared over the years.

• @COHawk Loyalty is dead

• @COHawk overall I think this group had a ton of loyalty, we have just a few guys sitting out. This team seems to have a brotherhood seldom seen these days.

• I agree with you about this team. My point is about so many at all of the universities in bowl games who suddenly decide to sit out a game that the team worked hard to get to. Suddenly an individual’s loyalty disappears because he puts his health (which had been on the line every other game during the season) ahead of the team. Of course, I’m old and see things through different glasses!

• @COHawk said in Guaranteed Rate Bowl News:

I agree with you about this team. My point is about so many at all of the universities in bowl games who suddenly decide to sit out a game that the team worked hard to get to. Suddenly an individual’s loyalty disappears because he puts his health (which had been on the line every other game during the season) ahead of the team. Of course, I’m old and see things through different glasses!

Understand , partially anyways but you also have to consider that these kids that are sitting out of the bowl , they too was a part of that team that worked hard to get where they are at. An individual has to realize that these kids that are sitting out of these bowl games - -those kids are having to think about their future on down the line - -most , well really all that sit out are players that are trying to prepare for their future.

The NFL , I bet if you were to ask the kids that are playing in these bowl games if they are mad —feel a lack of loyalty , because they guys are sitting out of these bowls ? --To the player I would say 95 % if not more would say NO , WHY ?- -because they realize these guys are looking to their future. - -The NFL , these other kids they get that , they understand. Are they disappointed that these guys are not playing ? - - I’m sure some of them are- - - but mad? — no. Why ? -because they get it , they understand.- -What do we think almost to the tea is everyone of these kid’s dreams ? - -I’ll tell you what , it’s to be able to
    get that chance at the NFL. Yes they take that chance of getting hurt , but why when your at the end of your college career and looking to the future- -why gamble on your future ? – Not only is the NFL for these guys but just like other people - -it’s their job , this is what they will do for their living, they just get to enjoy the love of the game while they get paid for it also. Plus some of these guys already are married , maybe have some kids already, they are looking out for their family --their future. -Loyalty is great but also look at it this way. If you were for instance you had a job had been there for some time and you had the opportunity arise as to where another Business came along offered you a better paying job, a nice increase in wages & benefits tell me - -would you stay with your present job because of loyalty or take the better job offered you with higher wages ? - -thinking of your family, I know what I would do- --just saying. Am I disappointed they not gonna play ? - -sure I am, make things harder for us but am I mad- - -NA , I am appreciative of their time here and wish them nothing but the best in the future, they will always be a great Jay Hawk to me

@COHawk said in Guaranteed Rate Bowl News:

I agree with you about this team. My point is about so many at all of the universities in bowl games who suddenly decide to sit out a game that the team worked hard to get to. Suddenly an individual’s loyalty disappears because he puts his health (which had been on the line every other game during the season) ahead of the team. Of course, I’m old and see things through different glasses!

• The combine might have resulted in fewer players participating in bowl games. I have no doubt that except for the stars who won’t go there anyway, most players sitting out have been told that a bowl performance won’t help their prospects. Whereas a stellar showing in the combine would raise their draft status a lot. An injury in the season could likely be recovered enough to do well, but the time after late bowl games is a lot shorter. Can’t blame them a bit.

All the fans griping about loyalty won’t pay a dime toward making up any injured player’s lower earnings if they blow out a knee or Achilles. Fans demand loyalty entirely at the player’s risk.

• @COHawk said in Guaranteed Rate Bowl News:

I would think if he’s not playing that he’s already decided on the option he plans to take. I understand the worry of an injury but wasn’t that possible every game during the season. Our sense of loyalty (to team, teammates, school, etc.) seems to have disappeared over the years.

This has been my contention. IF you tell someone it’s ok for them to sit out because you might get hurt, well, unless you’re a playoff team, why not sit out way back in October? ‘Can’t make the playoff anyways so these are meaningless games TO ME.’
    This never used to happen. Only in recent years have players decided to screw their teammates over and their fans by sitting out games.

• @mayjay

This is america after all. We pay a lot for a little and if there is no money in something it either will not get done or you are on your own.

• @wissox said in Guaranteed Rate Bowl News:

@COHawk said in Guaranteed Rate Bowl News:

I would think if he’s not playing that he’s already decided on the option he plans to take. I understand the worry of an injury but wasn’t that possible every game during the season. Our sense of loyalty (to team, teammates, school, etc.) seems to have disappeared over the years.

This has been my contention. IF you tell someone it’s ok for them to sit out because you might get hurt, well, unless you’re a playoff team, why not sit out way back in October? ‘Can’t make the playoff anyways so these are meaningless games TO ME.’
    This never used to happen. Only in recent years have players decided to screw their teammates over and their fans by sitting out games.

Here’s another spin on it. When a player who has transferred out or skips a bowl game for the NFL, that’s a chance for a younger player to get real game reps against a similar caliber team. This gives the coaches game film on a player they may not have had otherwise which can help with player development in the spring because now coaches see what specifically needs more development that you don’t necessarily get in practice.

Take Caleb Williams for example, how does he benefit or USC benefit long term from him playing against Louisville in the Holiday Bowl? If he played, USC has a better shot at going 8-5 this season. They don’t care because this season was already a massive disappointment for them. Playing a younger QB to see if they still need to find one in the portal is going to be a bigger longterm benefit to USC than Williams playing in their bowl game.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Couldn’t Caleb then decided to quit on October 30 then or whenever? I still think it’s dirty and ultimately could hurt fan support of a team.

@Texas-Hawk-10 Couldn’t Caleb then decided to quit on October 30 then or whenever? I still think it’s dirty and ultimately could hurt fan support of a team.

I think USC going 7-5 this year had a much bigger impact on their fan support this season than Caleb Williams not playing in a bowl game their fan base doesn’t care about. USC’s fanbase expects to play for national championships and when they fall way short of that goal like this season, their fans aren’t going to care as much. Making a bowl game at Kansas is a much bigger deal than making one at USC.

Imagine if KU basketball enters a season as a Final Four favorite, but things happen and the team ends up in the NIT for whatever reason. Do you really think this fanbase is going to care about the NIT in that situation? Now imagine that team also has a player that’s going to be a top 3 pick in the NBA draft. If you’re that player, why do you care about a 2nd tier tournament when that result is far below team expectations entering the season?

College is meant to prepare and train a person for a professional career regardless of the field is it not? Players like Caleb Williams make business decisions on where to go based on where they believe will best prepare them for the NFL. It’s a different mindset and mentality from a fan and it’s always been that way. Rules changes just mean it’s much more out in the open now instead of behind closed doors. If I grew up in Kansas a diehard Jayhawk fan, but my career ambition has always been to be a veterinarian, I’m ultimately not going to go to KU because KU doesn’t have that program. I would be going to KSU because they’re the school in Kansas with a veterinarian program.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Well for goodness sakes, glad you didn’t go to veterinarian school then!

• Well dam heard on TOS and hope to GOD it’s not true , but heard been reported by multiple sources that Bean woke up feeling sick this morning, probably why the line dropped from 12 1/2 to 9 1/2 - -MAN what luck if true

• The line has jumped closer UNLV and rumors are spreading that Jason Bean is very sick as of mid day.

• https://twitter.com/WillDespart/status/1739806221543371002

Jason Bean warming up. Devin Neal warming up too.

Neal also just tweeted 3 frownie faces and the words “talk soon.” Now I have no idea what that means but I would guess NFL.

• Let’s go. Bean looking good in warmups. Devin Neal in for 2024. Let’s go. Rout the Rebs.

https://twitter.com/WillDespart/status/1739806221543371002

Neal also just tweeted 3 frownie faces and the words “talk soon.” Now I have no idea what that means but I would guess NFL.

ya I’m afraid he is probably gone, big loss , but IF he does then good luck to him - -thank him for being here , our Rb room gonna be fine Hishaw , Johnny Thompson , Red Martel , Stewart - think we will be good

• @jayballer67 said in Guaranteed Rate Bowl News:

@KirkIsMyHinrich said in Guaranteed Rate Bowl News:

ya I’m afraid he is probably gone, big loss , but IF he does then good luck to him - -thank him for being here , our Rb room gonna be fine Hishaw , Johnny Thompson , Red Martel , Stewart - think we will be good

Nope he’s back. Read my next post lol

@jayballer67 said in Guaranteed Rate Bowl News:

@KirkIsMyHinrich said in Guaranteed Rate Bowl News:

Nope he’s back. Read my next post lol

lmao - -ya just saw that on your next post- - -AWESOME NEWS Jumpin Gee Hossie Toads - look out Big 12 we have arrived - -ROCK CHALK

• Late December football is better than the alternative! There’s literally only 3 basketball games today in NCAA. Looks like the game on now is going to end on time so we’re not gonna have to ESPNews it to start!

I’m predicting a rousing KU victory by about 24 points. Trick plays galore, big plays, turnovers, announcers gushing about Lance and I guess the UNLV coach. They’ll somehow work several KU hoops references in there.

• Guess I misread the quarter. They’re only finishing up the 3rd quarter. Goodness what is making this game so long?

Guess I misread the quarter. They’re only finishing up the 3rd quarter. Goodness what is making this game so long?

First half was 2 hours long. A lot of injured players, reviews, penalties, and just general slowness.

• What happens when this $@%#! Texas State / Rice game doesn’t get over until 9pm? Can we watch elsewhere?

• Ya, wondering the same thing. Looks Like ESPN+ will have it.

Announcers sure didn’t mention when they just said Up Next, if we ever get to it.

• YA WE HAVE TO HVE FIGHTS GOING ON, TEAMS SWITCHING THE BALL, THROWING INTS ALL KINDS OF STOPPAGE

• I hate ESPN; I hate the 8pm game. Jeez.

• Ok the ESPNPlus broadcast went to NFL live. Uh oh.

• @rockchalkjayhawk Maybe they’ll put us on ESPN2 then because taht’s what they’re showing now on that channel.

• Coach talking about UNLV being explosive offensively , got a real stud WR named White -81 receptions & 1,356 yards 7 TD’S - -talks about their scores always include an explosive play, looks like a track meet.

Talks about how their weakness is runs up the middle and defending the deep ball - -well hmmm what we do well - -runs up the middle and deep balls

• Twitter says ESPN2.

• ESPN saying KU kickoff at 810 CT and the ESPN App

• ESPN app took me to ESPN2 like everyone has been saying.

• Nope. Not on espn2 for me.

• Ahh delayed. 610 pm for me.

• Oh, I can’t stand this woman announcer.

• @wissox I requested that announcer just for you.

• Wow, great start. Kick it out of bounds. Dumb ass

• @patoh3 Late christmas present?

• It’s the thought that counts, right?

• @patoh3 Definitely.