First Game Impressions

1. Terribly disappointed that Jalon Daniels wasn’t able to play;
    2. Thank goodness Jason Bean stuck around; he’s a decent backup but still overthrows receivers and throws too often into good coverage;
    3. Really wish Devan Neal got one more carry to push him over 100 for the game; he looked really good, as did all the running backs;
    4. Second biggest disappointment was the offensive line not being able to move a D2 line back on 3rd and 4th and 1;
    5. The defensive line and linebackers stopped the run all night holding the opponent to 74 yds. rushing. But it was M. St.
    6. Cole Ballard(15), not Ben Easters in the 4th Q; hmmmmmmmmmmm, interesting;
    7. The defensive secondary looked competent, getting 2 INTs and only allowing 143 yds; and
    8. Also disappointed that our board didn’t get behind this game. Where was everybody?

• 8 - you brought up disappointment and KU football in the same sentence as if you have reasonable expectations of success. Love it. Lance has done a great job building the hype around the program. They appear to be on the right track, but it’s a long ways to go. - the main reason very few where here during the game, it’s a basketball forum.

• Watched the whole game. Don’t think this is a bowl team if I’m being honest but there is always some variance and we might get lucky.

As far as chatting I was doing so on the KU discord. It was BUMPING. I was engaged there so I didn’t post in the 247 game thread either.

• @stoptheflop said in First Game Impressions: Where was everybody?

Enjoying my cheap seats at the booth! I tried to participate in the chat, but internet was too spotty.

I’m not sure what to think about this team. Definitely had a bad first quarter. Hishaw 's fumble wrecked momentum, but he looked like his old self on his TD run in the 4th quarter, running over guys. I hope he is back to where he was mentally and physically before the injury.

• I’ve had a very long week and was struggling to stay awake last night. Fell asleep around halftime I think and watched the second half this morning.

Overall, pretty much what I expected without Daniels under center. Bean is a bigger risk taker than Daniels and we saw that last night. That pass into triple coverage in the first quarter should’ve been an INT and Bean had a couple of other passes that easily could’ve even picks. The flip side is that he has a stronger arm and isn’t afraid to throw over the top more which forces secondaries to respect that aspect of his game which opens up his running more as well.

Daniels is generally a more conservative player which I think is more of what KU needs at this point because the margin for error is much smaller for KU because of the defense.

I don’t know if we really learned anything about this team last night that we didn’t already know in regards to the offense.

The biggest concern I saw defensively last night was the secondary and LB’s struggling to stop intermediate crossing routes. I know Borland loves his man coverage with Bryant and Dotson on the outside, but mixing in more cover 2 or cover 3 can help disrupt those routes.

• Not having ESPN+ means not watching the game, so…no chatting from me!

• Well overall pretty much what I thought would take place. 1st half was for sure up and down As far as being here during the game, still haven’t figured that out I am not the smartest on these thing. I was on the ESPN site, not sure how to stay there & be here to discuss game at the same time. Just like in Basketball I usually come in here during a timeout or half time to discuss lol.

here are some things I realize and have realized. I fully realize that Jason is a very capable back up , and glad we have him. head and shoulders above the others two options, and not against Ben, just no experience I had heard that Ballard had impressed the staff during camp and also had impressed his team mates on just how he handled himself during camp.

Yet I also have to agree with stoptheflop where are the people here? - -we have to get behind this team. I can’t believe just like last night in game chat just AS SOON as there was a mistake by the team , w have people in here that just BAM like I saw : oh here we go again just like we use to be playing like shit back to being a piece of crap team - -exactly WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

People have just got to realize - - -AGAIN just how far down the food chain this team was , it’s going to take time, you can’t go from the outhouse to the penthouse in just a coupe of years, you have to crawl before you walk. - Sure these kids are going to make mistakes , they are going to make some stupid simple mistakes - what team doesn’t make mistakes ? - these guys are still on the way back. With this coaching staff your going to see the turnaround - - -we are seeing the turnaround. it JUST TAKES TIME you can’t expect over night success.

Like Dylans said people think everything here is a Basketball forum, which I believe if it’s not all about basketball then they think well- - - ehhh. sure, seems like the vibe I get that some put off - quick to critize and slow to praise. If people can’t see how far this team has come from how bad this team was then I don’t know what to tell you cause your switch isn’t turned on - -hell you might not even have a switch to turn on. Again they are going to make mistakes, sure I get mad too but it’s going to take time and they need our support.

Our turnout last night I thought was really good for it being on a Holiday weekend and being on a Friday, love that .Yes I hope Jalen is ready this coming Friday , we are going to need him- -for sure, and hope Luke is OK and good to go. Jason is a quality backup for sure again glad he is here BUT big step up this coming weekend. Really thought the defense played better and like had I think they said NINE TFL’S seems to me that these guys seem quicker/faster/more athletic , yet like Texashawk said hope we can figure opposing short middle crossing passes out better, play different scheme or something, just seems like to muh success against us in that - - ROCK CHALK

• @stoptheflop I agree with your assessment a 100%. @Texas-Hawk-10 you aswell, if that’s a big 12 defense Bean has 2 or 3 picks. The defense was better against the run and did dominate at the line of scrimmage as it should against an FCS opponent. But man the back end of the defense just looks slow outside of Cobe. Our linebackers can’t keep up with FCS guys so we are in trouble in that department. Borland did have an emergency and wasn’t coaching so that could’ve made some difference. Either way his seat should be white hot at this point. They put up our stats from last season on defense and our best category was 108th in the country. That’s not going to cut it sorry but I’m tired of the garbage defense we have seemed to have since 2007. Gets old watching teams easily March right down the field. Good teams make their biggest step between week 1 and 2. I’m not ready to give up on this season by any stretch but next week will be a good gauge of what we can do moving forward, a win or close loss we could still see a bowl. A blow out loss and we are headed to 3 wins.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Any word on Borland’s absence yesterday? I wonder if KU’s defense would have been better with him making adjustments on the sidelines.

• alt text

Borland is always upstairs

• @FarmerJayhawk He had a family emergency yesterday and wasn’t at the game in any capacity.

• @kjayhawks Ope my b

• Also can’t get the photo to show up but had some really nice seats last night so wasn’t gonna be on my phone much

• Had some surgery.

• Baylor looks terrible and Illinois don’t look much better.

• Lot of winnable games on this schedule after watching football today.

• @Kcmatt7 ya looking like Tech, OSU and ISU are games we can compete in. Bad year to have Baylor off the schedule, their offensive line is absolute garbage and could go thru several QBs.

• @Kcmatt7 said in First Game Impressions:

Lot of winnable games on this schedule after watching football today.

I don’t really see my opinion changing much about the winnability of KU’s games this season. We don’t play 3 of the 4 Big 12 teams that lost today this season Baylor, TCU, and WVU losing don’t impact KU at all. I also think Tech’s loss may have been a product of the overlooking Wyoming and looking forward to Oregon next week. OSU and ISU, like KU are mid pack teams and my opinion hasn’t been changed about those teams.

• @Kcmatt7 said in First Game Impressions:

Lot of winnable games on this schedule after watching football today.

Yeah, the Big 12 looks like mostly garbage except OU, Texas, and maaaaybe KSU.

• I’ve been following the team as a friend but love may blossom.

• Ok, so and I’m serious and curious. I have been hearing a lot about how tough/stingy Illinois defense is, and who knows could very wall be- -1st game of the year and everything – -just curious and looking for info , - If they are going to be a really stiff defense then has to be one of two things right? - - Either Toledo is a lot better then some people think , or did Illinois have a lot of loss from last yr ?

Illinois gave up 28 points to Toledo, – only won 30-28 so what gives? - -After watching these games yesterday I feel much better if we can get Jalen going I think w will be fine, could be just a lot of 1st game things that need cleaned up for some team but makes me wonder. - -Makes me feel better about our chances Friday

Side note - -I see where the guys are going to be wearing the Black Hawks uniforms Friday. with the 1941 Jay Hawk - -I really love the look myself, that’s just me , I think they look pretty cool

• @jayballer67 said in First Game Impressions:

Ok, so and I’m serious and curious. I have been hearing a lot about how tough/stingy Illinois defense is, and who knows could very wall be- -1st game of the year and everything – -just curious and looking for info , - If they are going to be a really stiff defense then has to be one of two things right? - - Either Toledo is a lot better then some people think , or did Illinois have a lot of loss from last yr ?

Illinois gave up 28 points to Toledo, – only won 30-28 so what gives? - -After watching these games yesterday I feel much better if we can get Jalen going I think w will be fine, could be just a lot of 1st game things that need cleaned up for some team but makes me wonder. - -Makes me feel better about our chances Friday

Side note - -I see where the guys are going to be wearing the Black Hawks uniforms Friday. with the 1941 Jay Hawk - -I really love the look myself, that’s just me , I think they look pretty cool

Toledo won the MAC last year and are favored to repeat as champs so they’re a legit good team.

The hype for the Illinois defense is because they returned almost every starter from the top, or at least top 3, scoring defense last season. The biggest change for that unit though is that they have a new defensive coordinator this season.

• I’m going to miss the 10 team conference where all teams played each other; conference results really meant something, but you could still argue home field advantage in the close losses. I still remember all the crap about the Orange B0wl team not being legit because KU didn’t play the top Big 12 teams that year.

• @jayballer67 as @Texas-Hawk-10 Toledo is a solid mid major program that returned 8 offensive and 9 defensive starters from a 9-5 MAC championship team. They haven’t had a losing record since 2009 and HC Jason Candle will be at a high profile job with the next couple of years, book it. Illinois was lucky imo to win that game had a guy make a heck of a catch on a 4th down with time running out. Illinois defense was in the top 3 in every category in the B10 only allowing 12.8 PPG last season. Now this season they are living a little bit off of that hype only returning 6 starters so jury is still out on them at this time.