Early Hearings TM

• Elmarko’s jump shot is a bit of an issue. He is however by far the most ready of the freshman. Should contribute this year. The belief is he is an NBA level player if the jump shot improves.

Marcus has a lot of talent but doesn’t know what to do at this speed of play yet. In a normal year with 13 guys a redshirt could have been considered but with only 10 guys (Zach RSing) he will have to be ready to play. He will probably have some moments early on where he just torches a couple small directional schools which will get people too high on him lol.

Dajuan is shooting it really well, and even trying some stuff off the dribble.

Kevin is Kevin, same ole Kevin.

KJ is still not a shooter.

Hunter is scorching the nets.

• Thanks for the update. It really helps to know where things are currently. Will see where everything stands with the Puerto Rico trip. Have 1 month to get ready.

• How are Timberlake and AM?

• @patoh3 And Braun?

• @patoh3 said in Early Hearings TM:

How are Timberlake and AM?

Will post anything of substance on guys. They like Arterio a lot and he has been good but recently he has been away from the team dealing with his legal stuff.

Haven’t heard much on Timberlake or Braun.

• Awesome update. thx for the scoop! Can’t wait to hear more about the new guys. Sounds about right for Elmarko. Coming in we heard he’s strong, quick, athletic, can get to the hole, but needs to work on his shot. So, expecting him to progress with his shooting, but focus on the stuff he can do well for PT.

Is Marcus an early version of Jalen?

• @rockchalkjayhawk said in Early Hearings TM:

Is Marcus an early version of Jalen?

Probably pretty accurate. We didn’t get to see what FR Jalen looked like, but safe to say it wouldn’t have been as good as the next couple years.

And basically Elmarko is even better than they hoped for, other than the jump shot.

• @BShark said in Early Hearings TM:

@patoh3 said in Early Hearings TM:

How are Timberlake and AM?

Will post anything of substance on guys. They like Arterio a lot and he has been good but recently he has been away from the team dealing with his legal stuff.

Haven’t heard much on Timberlake or Braun.

I’m expecting Arterio to play himself into becoming a first round pick

• @rockchalkjayhawk he shoots it better and has better ball skills at the same stage. But whew boy it’ll take awhile. Dude is not ready for the Big 12 grind.

@rcjhdraft We’ll see on Morris. Decent chance he’s suspended to start the year. And teams will be very wary of drafting a convicted abuser if it goes that way. Too many unknowns to say much there.

On Braun, he’s just a guy. Good athlete that will spell Hunter. He does have the physical tools to play up a bit in limited minutes.

@BShark has the rest down. Hunter is all that and a bag of chips. Elmarko is a poor man’s Scoot Henderson, KJ has not and will not develop a jumper.

Watch Denver Nuggets tape fam

• Elmarko was so gross underrated by the scouts imo. Guy should’ve been a top ten in his class. I think he, AM, Kevin and Marcus are gonna be NBA guys.

• @FarmerJayhawk are u comparing KJ to CB?

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in Early Hearings TM:

@FarmerJayhawk are u comparing KJ to CB?

Hunter and Jokic

• @TYOHawk said in Early Hearings TM:

Elmarko was so gross underrated by the scouts imo. Guy should’ve been a top ten in his class. I think he, AM, Kevin and Marcus are gonna be NBA guys.

The one thing I worry about with Terio is his position. If he can’t play point it won’t work out at that level. He will have a long pro career somewhere for sure.

Elmarko being newer to basketball is a factor I think. He had one of the craziest growths I have seen skill/ability wise from his JR to SR year in high school. He’s going to be a PROBLEM eventually.

• Juan is very locked in.

@TYOHawk said in Early Hearings TM:

Elmarko was so gross underrated by the scouts imo. Guy should’ve been a top ten in his class. I think he, AM, Kevin and Marcus are gonna be NBA guys.

The one thing I worry about with Terio is his position. If he can’t play point it won’t work out at that level. He will have a long pro career somewhere for sure.

Elmarko being newer to basketball is a factor I think. He had one of the craziest growths I have seen skill/ability wise from his JR to SR year in high school. He’s going to be a PROBLEM eventually.

I was seeing some rankings that had Bronny over Elmarko and losing my mind man. Elmarko has all the tools to be a starting PG in the nba for 10 years.

• Spotted some players at a local restaurant tonight (HD and some other new guys). They never look very big–broad, wide, muscular etc.–in person. Even Doke, who looked huge on TV, was not a wide body guy in real life. Tall, yes. I guess 7 foot 260lbs looks pretty lean compared to 260 on a 6 footer. LOL

• @BShark i hope good things happen for him. Ultimate team guy! Deserves happiness and has worked hard. Love the success in the classroom too.

• @BShark - good article! Wish they didn’t start it “will be charged with”. Made my heart leap!

• @BShark ooh man, gettng excited reading Elmarko quotes. Kid seems very sharp!

• Juan - Elmarko - McCullar - KJ - Dickinson

Lock it in now for starters?

• @Kcmatt7 said in Early Hearings TM:

Juan - Elmarko - McCullar - KJ - Dickinson

Lock it in now for starters?

Gonna have to be creative on O with that lineup. Shooting wise, from the perimeter that’s not going to be a high % group. But it’s also the combo that’s playing the best talent at each position. Interesting

• @Kcmatt7 waaaaay too early to lock in the starting 5. 80% right though! Wouldn’t surprise me if Elmarko or Timberlake started at the 2. Terio somewhat but that’s not entirely basketball related.

• I don’t think Elmarko will start. Goes back to the OP with “the jump shot is a bit of an issue”.

@FarmerJayhawk I think IF things work out legally, Terio starts eventually. Gut feeling.

• Looks like Timberlake’s shooting will be greatly appreciated for floor spacing.

• @BShark If Bill sticks with KJ at the 4 we will lose some games early

• KJ may surprise. 🤷♂

• Remember - Self LOVES KJ… which means he is a total team player and will do everything he is asked to do. if Self tells him to shoot more, obviously he will. but he will see lots of minutes as well we all know.

Years ago, certain posters in this site would be very down on some of the KU players, role guys who Self really liked. I remember HEM was a big poster here, (where did he go? Or is he here under a different moniker?) and he would bring out lots of stats to bolster his claims about who should not be getting playing time as much. So I started re-watching games and just focusing on these so-called players who he didn’t like. I saw stuff like, setting picks, boxing out, playing smothering D, passing, moving very well away from the ball, switching on D, and communicating well with teammates. Where are the stats that register those qualities? Very eye opening for me. That’s when I realized why Self liked, and played these guys a lot.

• “Self loves (player X)” translation: (player X ) is a very good player and Self, because of his elevated understanding of basketball, recognizes this and chooses to play him accordingly.

• @kuballin10 said in Early Hearings TM:

@BShark If Bill sticks with KJ at the 4 we will lose some games early

Will probably happen even if someone else started at the 4 because of KU’s early schedule.

• @Bosthawk said in Early Hearings TM:

Remember - Self LOVES KJ… which means he is a total team player and will do everything he is asked to do. if Self tells him to shoot more, obviously he will. but he will see lots of minutes as well we all know.

Years ago, certain posters in this site would be very down on some of the KU players, role guys who Self really liked. I remember HEM was a big poster here, (where did he go? Or is he here under a different moniker?) and he would bring out lots of stats to bolster his claims about who should not be getting playing time as much. So I started re-watching games and just focusing on these so-called players who he didn’t like. I saw stuff like, setting picks, boxing out, playing smothering D, passing, moving very well away from the ball, switching on D, and communicating well with teammates. Where are the stats that register those qualities? Very eye opening for me. That’s when I realized why Self liked, and played these guys a lot.

Self subbed KJ into the final defensive possession of the 2022 title game after Dejuan stepped out of bounds. That’s an insane level of trust to have in a freshman. KJ will start somewhere at KU as long as he his here because of his intangibles and why I’ve had him in every version of a starting line up this off season.

• I love KJ but I prefer him as a mismatch at the 5 guy unless like @BShark said we go inverse and Hunter plays like the 4 on O and guards them 5’s on D.

I’m excited to see the lineup but feel we are better off with KJ as the spark 5 man off the bench and putting another scorer out there early to start games off.

@Texas-Hawk-10 - I can also see us not losing until IU on a tough road game before Christmas break and guys check out. Maui field looks loaded but not sure how those rosters break down. Ours is nasty and Bill likes it……

• KJ also put up 11ppg at a .629 clip. He isn’t going to be the reason we lose games lol.

• @Kcmatt7 At the 5 spot and I agree! If he plays all the Arkansas game we win

• Sounding like Jamari will redshirt.

• @BShark good for him tbh.

• Love Jamari’s mind set, train of thought. - he says in an interview : We play Basketball , you play Basketball , you play defense, that’s not even a debate.–I like this guy he gets it.

Hel talks about how there is more then one way you can help a team and he says the defensive side it what he wants to focus on during his freshmen Season, saying he was looking o talk/work with Juan and KJ about their defensive side and how they was able to get early minutes by playing really good defense. He get’s it, to many incoming high profile players only think of the offensive end , give me the ball and let me do my thin. Jamari understands there is two ends to the court and ring to improve on the defensive end is a good thing. - As w all know or should know if you don’t play defense for Coach , you not gonna be playing/seeing court time, and Jamari understands that. -I like guys that can see the Broad overall picture, Jamari is one of those guys. I know been said he will red shirt probably, that’s cool if he does but still good to have kids that don’t mind putting in the work on the defensive end

• Been saying for awhile he’s the big sleeper in the class. He’s already got the mentality on D, just whether the ball skills can come along where he could slide down to the 2 or be a small-ish wing will determine his ceiling. But he’s already got a high floor just as a 3 and D guy.

• love it

• I’m all for it too. It does tell me we really do need to grab another guy though. 9 scholarship players that can actually play isn’t ideal.

Still hearing overwhelming praise for Elmarko as well.

• Wouldn’t rule out Zach being in the rotation.

• What did Vernon’s latest hearings say about Puerto Rico from his inside source?

• @kuballin10 said in Early Hearings TM:

What did Vernon’s latest hearings say about Puerto Rico from his inside source?

Arterio should start at the 2 if he earns trust in practice

Elmarko to push for starting slot as season goes on

Kev shouldn’t try to be Jalen, play within himself

KJ needs to rebound and steal possessions

Braun serviceable, team speed noticeable

Hunter will only get better

Juan should keep shooting the 3

Someone in the guard rotation will lose minutes- top heavy.

Team looks good, better then expected in several areas

Wouldn’t rule out Zach being in the rotation.

To me Zach did look better in PR than Parker but there are other factors, Parker will only be here for a year etc

• @BShark

He did. Physically he needs this year to catch up for the development he lost imo

• @BeddieKU23 said in Early Hearings TM:

@BShark

He did. Physically he needs this year to catch up for the development he lost imo

Agree. I also believe from what I’ve heard that the staff wants to see him stay on the straight and narrow for a full year.

• @BShark

Yeah wanted to say that as well but just figured the fact he’s even with the team is a probationary kind of deal.

• @BeddieKU23 I appreciate you

Terio clearly should start at the 2

Elmarko, Timberlake and Furphy guards off the bench

Braun getting those 5 man minutes when they don’t slide KJ there

Juan doesn’t need to shoot 7 threes a game but 3-4 is fine

Morris is the one who should shoot it more

Kev definitely isn’t jalen

@BeddieKU23 said in Early Hearings TM:

@BShark

Agree. I also believe from what I’ve heard that the staff wants to see him stay on the straight and narrow for a full year.

On court or off?

• @kuballin10 yeah I think this is the least uncertainty I’ve had about a lineup entering the season for a long time. Usually there is at least some question around the 8/9th player.

Only thing this team is really weak on is a backup big but as mentioned, KJ can slide over there and would probably the best “backup 5” in the country if he was coming off the bench. If Braum doesn’t end up being servicable fill those minutes, I could see a world where Bill plays KJ 37+ a night.