Reasons to believe in next year’s team

• He also said jwill would be back wed and Juan was looking really good.

• Self mentioned he thinks KJ will play more on the wing going forward, contingent on bigs stepping up.

• Expects Gradey & MJ to battle for a starting spot but positions are open outside a few.

Leaders- JWill, Juan, McCullar. Says team not void of leadership.

McCullar- Perfect fit for playing interchangeable lineups

• @BeddieKU23 said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

Self mentioned he thinks KJ will play more on the wing going forward, contingent on bigs stepping up.

Dedric is as good of a passer as we have ever had. Grimes is one of the best guards we have ever had.

• @BShark still though, I think it’s a possibility. KJ did surprise me a few times with his quickness and handles. A small sample size is an understatement though.

• @Jethro older post in this thread, but that was a great video on how smooth Grady is, thanks for the share!

• KU will play at UK next year as part of the SEC/Big-12 Challenge announced today. January 28th is the date.

Pencil in Oscar for 30 and 30 + 3 fake injuries from Wheeler

KU will play at UK next year as part of the SEC/Big-12 Challenge announced today. January 28th is the date.

Pencil in Oscar for 30 and 30 + 3 fake injuries from Wheeler

Ya, Tshiebwe is going to murder us. Oh well

• Myself , I’m kind of getting tired of playing Kentucky in this Challenge. – UK fans feeling the same way. Just takes some of the luster off when it’s yr after yr. - When you gt two blue bloods and they get together for a match - - -Cool. Yet yr after yr just don’t do it, so many other teams to play. - Kentucky fans were hoping they might get Baylor this year, can’t really say I blame them

• @jayballer67 said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

Myself , I’m kind of getting tired of playing Kentucky in this Challenge. – UK fans feeling the same way. Just takes some of the luster off when it’s yr after yr. - When you gt two blue bloods and they get together for a match - - -Cool. Yet yr after yr just don’t do it, so many other teams to play. - Kentucky fans were hoping they might get Baylor this year, can’t really say I blame them

I’m excited we get the chance at revenge this year. Punk them at Rupp! We have a 10 point advantage in coaching every time we play them.

• Jalen is back in Lawrence and back on the work out grind @Crimsonorblue22 I know you were wondering.

• @Jethro said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

@jayballer67 said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

Myself , I’m kind of getting tired of playing Kentucky in this Challenge. – UK fans feeling the same way. Just takes some of the luster off when it’s yr after yr. - When you gt two blue bloods and they get together for a match - - -Cool. Yet yr after yr just don’t do it, so many other teams to play. - Kentucky fans were hoping they might get Baylor this year, can’t really say I blame them

I’m excited we get the chance at revenge this year. Punk them at Rupp! We have a 10 point advantage in coaching every time we play them.

Lol well that 10 point advantage that you say we have - - - sure the hell didn’t help us last year lmao

• @jayballer67 Bill made a calculated choice to not amp up the team for that game. WE had just won a double overtime game against 13th ranked Tech, were scheduled to play at # 20 Iowa St, #8 Baylor, and at #20 Texas after 'Tucky. If we amp up against 'Tucky, then we run the risk of losing at the Clones, and against Baylor, which would’ve put us in a such a deep hole in conference, we might not get out. Bill even said he didn’t care about the game.

@jayballer67 Bill made a calculated choice to not amp up the team for that game. WE had just won a double overtime game against 13th ranked Tech, were scheduled to play at # 20 Iowa St, #8 Baylor, and at #20 Texas after 'Tucky. If we amp up against 'Tucky, then we run the risk of losing at the Clones, and against Baylor, which would’ve put us in a such a deep hole in conference, we might not get out. Bill even said he didn’t care about the game.

It was actually simpler than that. Bill was spending time dealing with the NCAA shit (trying to negotiate) and didn’t have time to do much of a gameplan.

• @BShark said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

@Jethro said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

@jayballer67 Bill made a calculated choice to not amp up the team for that game. WE had just won a double overtime game against 13th ranked Tech, were scheduled to play at # 20 Iowa St, #8 Baylor, and at #20 Texas after 'Tucky. If we amp up against 'Tucky, then we run the risk of losing at the Clones, and against Baylor, which would’ve put us in a such a deep hole in conference, we might not get out. Bill even said he didn’t care about the game.

It was actually simpler than that. Bill was spending time dealing with the NCAA shit (trying to negotiate) and didn’t have time to do much of a gameplan.

He won’t have that problem this year.

• @Jethro Hope not!

I have to laugh at that. So your telling me that he didn’t amp up his 10 pt Coaching advantage for that game lmao. - - Has nothing to do with the players as you said we had a 10 point Coaching advantage every time we play – - so I get it he gave his brain the night off for that game lol - - gotcha bud - -I like that. - -just giving you the business - -every brain needs a night off

• @jayballer67 You said I was full of it at halftime during the championship game, too. Remember? When I said we’d come back, and you said the game was over. I am really clueless why you are so afraid to play Tucky…lol. Did you forget who our coach is???

• We will give Kentucky a hell of a game at Rupp this season. For both teams, there is a lot of pride on the line.

@jayballer67 You said I was full of it at halftime during the championship game, too. Remember? When I said we’d come back, and you said the game was over. I am really clueless why you are so afraid to play Tucky…lol. Did you forget who our coach is???

No where did I say I was AFRAID of us playing Kentucky. - -I’m TIRED of us playing Kentucky in the Challenge. BIG DIFFERENCE It’s the Big12 /SEC Challenge- - not the KU / Kentucky challenge year , after year, after year. - -I wanna play some other SEC teams not just fricken Kentucky every dam yr that crap gets old. I’m not afraid of KU playing anybody - -I just want something new different. Florida - - -LSU - -Auburn there ARE other good teams other then Kentucky in the SEC - - THANKS

• We should play Kentucky every year, imo. At least 2-3 power house non-con games a year. Would love to add UNC into that mix now that Roy is retired.

• @BShark said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

We should play Kentucky every year, imo. At least 2-3 power house non-con games a year. Would love to add UNC into that mix now that Roy is retired.

We can play 10 powerhouse teams a year just sick and tired of playing Kentucky every year. believe it or not there are other power house teams other then Kentucky. - -Hell let’s play Duke - -there is a power house -or let’s play Gonzaga - -that’s a power house - Let’s Play Michigan - - let’s play North Carolina - -just not Kentucky - -every dam year every other year every two three years that’s great but not every dam year

• Champions classic has Kentucky, Duke, Michigan state and us. I think we play Duke this year. Where? Fav. mems, Frank and Wiggs! Speaking of Wiggs, I ordered that shirt his lil girl had on after his awesome 5th game. Wiggs dunk over luka. 100% cotton. Lil stiff, probably shrink to a toddlers size. I knew it’d be that way. Lost power, stormy here!

• @jayballer67 said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

@jayballer67 You said I was full of it at halftime during the championship game, too. Remember? When I said we’d come back, and you said the game was over. I am really clueless why you are so afraid to play Tucky…lol. Did you forget who our coach is???

No where did I say I was AFRAID of us playing Kentucky. - -I’m TIRED of us playing Kentucky in the Challenge. BIG DIFFERENCE It’s the Big12 /SEC Challenge- - not the KU / Kentucky challenge year , after year, after year. - -I wanna play some other SEC teams not just fricken Kentucky every dam yr that crap gets old. I’m not afraid of KU playing anybody - -I just want something new different. Florida - - -LSU - -Auburn there ARE other good teams other then Kentucky in the SEC - - THANKS

I hit a hot button…lol.

@jayballer67 said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

I hit a hot button…lol.

LMAO Scorchin. - - I’m just tired of Kenucky guys wanting to play powerhouses - Great - play Arkansas - - play louisville - -play Michigan State - - Play Michigan - -Play Duke-- -Play North Carolina. - play any of Hell play Auburn - -Play Gonzaga - - Play UCLA - - anybody but KENTUCKY every dam year they are not the only powerhouse team to boost ratings lol - - Sizzlin Button lol. Jethro you a goof lol

• Wow. shocker. Saw an early mock draft for next year, and surprise, surprise! Gradey Dick mentioned as the last pick in Round 1. Here we are debating his chances to start, when he’s a projected NBA pick! Wadda we know…

1. G Gradey Dick Ht./Wt.: 6-7, 195 pounds | Kansas: Freshman

Dick is way more bouncy and athletic than what meets the eye. On top of that, he can shoot out of the gym. He averaged 17.9 points per game on one of the best high school basketball teams in the country, Sunrise Christian Academy. He knows he’ll have to work for that starting slot, but can slide in and help fill the void of Ochai Agbaji (No. 14 this year) and Christian Braun (No. 21) next season.

• @rockchalkjayhawk

He’s very talented, but definitely shouldn’t be an OAD. His body is a ways from being NBA ready and he still needs to learn more of the game.

• @drgnslayr Dick has a higher chance of being a OAD than MJ Rice at this point. Dick is also not projected to be a lottery pick at this point so he doesn’t have to be NBA ready immediately. Dick is also projected as a 2 at the NBA level, not a 3 or 4 he’ll mostly play at KU. If he is OAD, he’s probably going to end up in the back half of the first round which means mostly likely on a playoff team that can afford to ha e him spend some time in the G-League.

If we get to April next year and Dick’s game is NBA ready, but he’s still not physically developed enough, he’d still need to go pro because then he can work on physical development full time with an NBA trainer.

That’s always been my take on whether a player should turn pro or not. If their skillset is NBA ready, or as developed as it will get, then go pro because that’s when that person’s stock is at its highest.

• I am gleefully anticipating Zuby, Udeh, MJ and Dick to the team. That is some serious, serious athleticism, folks. And McCullar will fit like a glove. Dare I say we don’t take the big step backwards, and end with more of the same? Maybe not as hot from outside, but defensively as good as a team as we’ve had in a while? Looks like we have several rim running big men. Coach will use that athleticism to punish teams. Zach shot 36% from 3 before he injured his toe, so he will be a reliable weapon from 3. On the perimeter, the combo of Juando and McCullar will flat get after people. If MJ buys in, we could be looking at the best perimeter defense since 2008. Offensively, JW will be a star, and there’s no way that teams will stop MJ… he will be huge, imo. Gradey will probably come off the bench and will scorch 3’s, and lead runouts. I could see him and Yes changing the game tempo- I think there will be times when we fast break teams into the ground.

I just can’t look at this roster and think this team wouldn’t give last year’s team a run for their money. Yeah, they’d probably lose, but I think this year’s team is more athletic, other than Remy they are quicker, and I think they will not only win the B12, but they could playing the 3rd weekend again this year.

• I do think Yes staying was big because I think it creates a lot of competition behind closed doors. I would imagine he gives the freshman “the business” during the offseason and really pushes them. If they want to see the floor that is the litmus test.

• @Kcmatt7 Bill just won a title retaining a bunch of mostly non-star players who developed and got better so I’m never really gonna complain with keeping guys especially when they are athletic. He could end up like, a minus version of Remy which is fine. Gigawatts aren’t there to a be a starter for Self.

• Big year for Yes. He basically was a freshman this past year with his confidence issues hindering some of his development. I like how he battled to get minutes, came through big for this team in several games and stayed humble even when Remy came back. Now hopefully with that year behind him he just has a free mind & plays to his scoring & playmaking instincts. Could be a really important rotation piece this year.

Big year for Yes. He basically was a freshman this past year with his confidence issues hindering some of his development. I like how he battled to get minutes, came through big for this team in several games and stayed humble even when Remy came back. Now hopefully with that year behind him he just has a free mind & plays to his scoring & playmaking instincts. Could be a really important rotation piece this year.

From the little I’ve read this offseason, it sounds like the coaches and him came to the same conclusion that he isn’t a PG. So I expect him to sort of be the JCL/Isaiah Moss guy this year. That vet coming off the bench with a green light to just make plays and shoot. 12 MPG just to bring energy. 20+ mpg if he’s feeling it that night.

Pretty integral role for these last couple of Bill Self squads.

• @Kcmatt7 Self flat out said in the middle of last season that Yes wasn’t a PG so the battle has been getting Yes to buy into that vision that he’s better suited as an off ball guard.

• @Kcmatt7

Makes sense to ditch the PG label on him and just let him focus on being a scorer/playmaker. I thought when he was able do focus on that he not only made plays for himself but others. As you pointed out having a veteran guard off the bench that has a green light has been a valuable role on this squad recently. I hope he takes that spot

• @Texas-Hawk-10

Interesting post. I have always seen it that if a player can get a guaranteed contract, even if it’s just for a year, he should consider the jump. It’s not strictly about the money, especially now with NIL competing against that. It’s more about knowing there is a committed team and structure behind their development.

I just can’t look at this roster and think this team wouldn’t give last year’s team a run for their money.

Sure is easy to feel this possibility. I just hope we have the run of luck we had this past year… a lot of that being with overall health.

Makes me think about our invisible coach… our strength coach. He hasn’t received all the attention Hudy received but I’ve heard whispers he’s an upgrade.

Anyone have some knowledge there?

• @drgnslayr He is extremely good at his job. Fortunate to have him.

• @drgnslayr Nijem is our superstar. How lucky we are to have him! We went from having the most worn out basketball team in college basketball to having one of the freshest teams since he took over. In my opinion, we won that national championship game in part because of our conditioning ( it also helped we had a deeper bench ). UNC was gassed at the end of the game, which allowed us to execute, while they floundered away. Go back and watch the tape of that game, and you’ll see Ramsey Nijem’s fingerprints all over that win. We just wore em out.

• I love this… “Kings of the Wings!”

Shouldn’t someone pay a visit to Buffalo Wild Wings for some NIL sponsorship?

I got it… a new wings sauce… “Jayhawk Jazzam!” A cool blue sauce with blue cheese and red chili bits… yummy! lol

I’m freakishly excited for basketball season… REPEAT! First school since Florida!