Jalen

• Disappointed in Wilson. How long is the suspension?

• @KirkIsMyHinrich

Hasn’t been announced

• What is Mark Fews consequence?

• @rockchalkwyo said in Jalen:

What is Mark Fews consequence?

Per source:

$1,000 fine, perform 24 hours of community service, complete a required drug and alcohol class, and use an ignition interlock device on his car for the next year.

In addition, Few will miss the remaining first three contests of the season: two exhibition games and the season opener against Dixie State.

• Morningstar was suspended for one semester by Self.

Jalen could have similar suspension, missing 9 games in Fall semester.

• @AsadZ

Yeah that could be the benchmark. The penalty for DUI though across College Sports seems to be a lot less now then it used to be. Mark Few is a good example. I would expect a multi-game punishment for sure here

• I think taking kids out of games is a horrible punishment. It can potentially hurt their futures. Why not give him the option of doing community volunteer hours? Preferably themed around alcohol abuse?

• @drgnslayr I think for the first time in the history of KUBuckets I’m disagreeing with you. Games don’t matter. Life does and teaching a valuable lesson of the consequences of bad judgment may save his life and others as well.

• It also show his actions have consequences for others/team/school/family. Interesting to see how he responds.

• @drgnslayr I agree wholeheartedly. From experience, taking away the positive activity from a kid when he does something negative is IMO ass backwards and also a pretty standard response in our punitive culture.

• @wissox Yep I am actually with you - just look at the Brit Reid and Henry Ruggs stories as to why. The world does not care that you are rich or famous or who your dad is once you get behind the wheel intoxicated. 10,000 drunk driving deaths happen every single year, you don’t play around with it.

If you are lax about it, players won’t care. Jalen jeopardized his own future when he got behind the wheel… Not Bill’s fault.

• https://twitter.com/jessenewell/status/1455624641049939979

3 regular season games, so he will miss the MSU game and then two gimme type games.

• 3 seems fair. The extra conditioning will be the worse part

• @approxinfinity said in Jalen:

@drgnslayr I agree wholeheartedly. From experience, taking away the positive activity from a kid when he does something negative is IMO ass backwards and also a pretty standard response in our punitive culture.

Disagree, Jalen made a decision that could’ve potentially ended a life, look at the Henry Ruggs situation this morning. Taking one of the things Jalen cares about most for a brief time to give him perspective on this situation is not a bad thing and hopefully make him realize how fortunate he was that his situation ended without serious incident and that playing basketball in college is a privilege and not a right.

• He should be back for the stonebrook game

• Jalen has 2 younger brothers, one will be playing fb in college, this is a huge lesson for them!

• 3 games will not disrupt that much. Good lesson for Jalen and I hope he comes back stronger and mentally ready to go

• @BeddieKU23 agree this is a good amount. Sends a message, misses a big game but doesn’t ruin team chemistry.

• @drgnslayr said in Jalen:

I think taking kids out of games is a horrible punishment. It can potentially hurt their futures. Why not give him the option of doing community volunteer hours? Preferably themed around alcohol abuse?

oh thats not a good look. - Jalen got exactly what he deserved. - -Not only did he put his own life in jeopardy he put countless others in jeopardy as soon as he made that decision to get behind the wheel of a 2,000 pound machine when he was drunk. - -Bad Choice , Really Bad Choice

• This is such a tough topic because punishment isn’t actually going to teach jalen a lesson or prevent someone else from doing it again. It’s to show that everyone is taking it seriously.

If punishment were the most effective way to prevent future wrong doing, recidivism numbers wouldn’t be what they are.

Consequences are good for the offender and the community. Punishment just makes the community feel like they got some retribution but doesn’t actually have the impact most think.

Finding the balance between real consequences and punishment is a tight rope to walk. I’m not sure honestly whether the suspension is a consequence or a punishment. Might come down to how it’s presented by the coaches and received by the player.

• @wissox

I’m not sure what the lesson is by leaving him out of games. Yes… it is a punishment. It’s a kind of spite coming back at him. Hurt him back.

Why not teach him why it’s a mistake to drink and drive? Force him into alcohol treatment or something specifically on drinking and driving.

This punishment is totally unrelated to his crime. It’s a message saying “you bad, we treat you bad.”

I take driving under influence seriously… just don’t think this is the way to “teach him a lesson.” He needs to be taught the lesson of the dangers of drinking and driving… and perhaps about alcohol abuse.

Evidently… Self listened to both of us as he has a short game suspension and will do community service, too.

On a humorous note… this opens up Jalen to do a NIL deal for MADD! Maybe he’ll get a new car with a built-in breathalizer! lol

• I think mandatory jail time of a weekend to a week should be a minimum penalty by the system, and schools should have a policy of suspension for a month for 1st offense and for a semester during the season for a second. There is a subtext in all these cases about how someone could be damaged in their future… Tough.

I have never known anyone who “got away with it” (i.e., charges dropped) to not continue having alcohol problems.

But I have noticed that people who have had friends or relatives die or get injured due to DUI are less forgiving.

• @drgnslayr What about how it can potentially hurt or even end the future of someone who is not drunk?

• @Marco

I hear what you are saying and have lost more than one person to someone driving under influence. I just don’t think holding a player from games teaches them enough about what they did. What I suggested is they be forced into a situation where they learn what can happen from drinking under influence. That isn’t part of the discipline of just holding them out of games. They need to know how tragic results are possible. I think we all agree he shouldn’t escape this without consequences…

Upon further thought… I would also include a mandatory acceptance of blood alcohol testing. Let’s make sure he doesn’t have an alcohol problem. And if he does, we can mandate treatment. Actually… my resolution is stricter on players than just letting them out of basketball commitments.

• @drgnslayr said in Jalen:

@Marco

I hear what you are saying and have lost more than one person to someone driving under influence. I just don’t think holding a player from games teaches them enough about what they did. What I suggested is they be forced into a situation where they learn what can happen from drinking under influence. That isn’t part of the discipline of just holding them out of games. They need to know how tragic results are possible. I think we all agree he shouldn’t escape this without consequences…

Upon further thought… I would also include a mandatory acceptance of blood alcohol testing. Let’s make sure he doesn’t have an alcohol problem. And if he does, we can mandate treatment. Actually… my resolution is stricter on players than just letting them out of basketball commitments.

Most diversions include random testing, and abstaining from any drugs and alcohol is SOP in those agreements. Lawrence used to not enforce that, not sure if it’s changed.

• He has community service and crazy the raider player happened about the same time. What 160 mph? Close? Can’t even comprehend that! 🤬 that should help w/lesson

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in Jalen:

He has community service and crazy the raider player happened about the same time. What 160 mph? Close? Can’t even comprehend that! that should help w/lesson

You’d think that Ruggs’ situation would be a glaring warning for all potential DUI violators, but from what I gather Ruggs himself lost a good friend to a drunk driver years ago. I guess some people never learn. How anyone survived an impact at that outrageous speed is a miracle.

• Heartbreaking accident!

• @drgnslayr I think there’s a difference between punishment and discipline. the root of discipline is disciple which means learner. Don’t know if you have kids but even if you don’t you do understand that we as parents were to discipline our kids and not punish them. Punishment does just that, hurts the kid. Abusers frequently don’t learn the difference and even those of us who weren’t abusers sometimes punished because we were mad. Discipline teaches. I believe this teaches, thus it’s not punishment.

• You are talking physically hurting?

• Here’s the way Duke handles DUIs… talk a mean game and then handle it “internally” -

"RALEIGH, N.C. — Mike Krzyzewski called the DWI charges against two of his players over the weekend, including his grandson Michael Savarino and freshman phenom Paolo Banchero, a “violation of our standards.”

“We’ll handle that internally,” Coach K said after Tuesday’s 92-52 win over Gardner-Webb University. “We’re already handling it.”"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2021/11/16/dukes-coach-k-responds-dwi-charges-we-had-violation-standards/8646007002/

• “ Savarino is the son of Debbie Krzyzewski Savarino, the oldest daughter of Krzyzewski and his wife, Mickie. Debbie Savarino is an assistant athletic director at Duke.”

Wait, Savarino is the spawn of K’s daughter and his wife Mickey? Only in hell man…

Los Diablos Azules

• Bad message sent by Mike K

• And some people thought Jalen got off easy.

“ Savarino is the son of Debbie Krzyzewski Savarino, the oldest daughter of Krzyzewski and his wife, Mickie. Debbie Savarino is an assistant athletic director at Duke.”

Wait, Savarino is the spawn of K’s daughter and his wife Mickey? Only in hell man…

Los Diablos Azules

OMG Soooo what we are saying here is that the Mother of the kid that was charged with the DUI is the Assistant Athletic Director - - OH YA look the hell out SEVERE PUNISHMENT coming down on this boy - - her fricken son Geez - Bone nose smiling from ear to ear 0 0 it’s DUKE for crying out loud - -total BS

• Hell Banchero still STARTED the game even after being part of this - - -ya that works , that will show em - -hope they are not quite as hard on the guys next time

• @jayballer67 her mom is coach K’s daughter and yes it’s her son.

“ Savarino is the son of Debbie Krzyzewski Savarino, the oldest daughter of Krzyzewski and his wife, Mickie. Debbie Savarino is an assistant athletic director at Duke.”

Los Diablos Azules

Nepotism and no class.

• Banchero only got in trouble because it was his car. We’d all be pissed if Bill suspended a guy for that.

• The cars address was a dealership. Funny he was sitting in the back seat by himself. Hmmm

• @AsadZ

Sure the optics are bad but K has done this time and time again where its just expected

Los Diablos Azules

Do you need to brush up on commas used to create dependent clauses, eh, 'Prox?

A lost art I blame first on teachers who gave up on correcting punctuation, and, second on social media standards that do not include recognize anything other than speed.

• @Kcmatt7 said in Jalen:

Banchero only got in trouble because it was his car. We’d all be pissed if Bill suspended a guy for that.

No, I’d be pissed at Coach if he didn’t suspend a guy. Banchero wittingly and knowingly let another guy who was also drunk drive a vehicle that he was responsible for.

“You get the blame bro okay, not me?”

“Okay, I’ll do it…”

• @mayjay About to give up on the good fight myself. I’ll be moving out of the classroom for the first time in January. Know that I did what I could for the appropriate use of commas in my time as a teacher. Unfortunately, there are currently some bigger fights in education.

• “We’ll handle that internally,” Coach K said after Tuesday’s 92-52 win over Gardner-Webb University. “We’re already handling it.”"

In other news, I heard that the NCAA just kicked a Cleveland State basketball player off the team. The NCAA says that the removal of the player was harsh, but they hope Duke has learned its lesson.

• @mayjay lol. Let’s just say I conveniently made that comma disappear for the purposes of trolling… only nobody engaged my troll call until you showed up!

• So in maybe better news, was that Wayne Selden’s bro dunking on the Duke brotherhood?

• Why yes, it was! 🤣🐀👤