Other bball news

• Brown would play over everyone not named Sims. He’s a clear upgrade over every other big man on Texas, and Texas will have plenty of minutes to accommodate 2 bigs. Sims isn’t going to take minutes away from Brown, they can both be on the floor at the same time. There’s nothing to compete with. Brown will get all the minutes he wants at Texas or wherever he goes.

• Myron Metcalf has endorsed KU as national champion. Will Cain is not impressed. So he’s taking calls to support his argument. Guess who the first caller was? A guy from Columbia Missouri, guess what he didn’t like the idea.

Another funny thing is no one remembers the Helms championships. They act like it’s never been done before.

• @dylans said in Other bball news:

Myron Metcalf has endorsed KU as national champion. Will Cain is not impressed. So he’s taking calls to support his argument. Guess who the first caller was? A guy from Columbia Missouri, guess what he didn’t like the idea.

Another funny thing is no one remembers the Helms championships. They act like it’s never been done before.

My twitter name has been 2020 Helms Champion Kansas Jayhawks for awhile now. 😃

• A lot of people have been willing to concede KU proved itself to be the best team in the country over a grueling season, even people who, like me, think it is stupid to name us champs.

So, how about a banner that says,

"2019-2020

Consensus #1 Team

NCAA Division 1 Mens BB"

• Here’s Myrons argument flimsy as it may be - the regular season was completed. KU had, in his words, by far the best regular season. (Cover your ears @mayjay) he went on to say the NCAA tournament is the worst way to crown a champion in sports - it is great at determining who is hot at the end. Ie 2014 UConn was his example. ( you could’ve pointed out a hot shooting Michigan team from earlier this year of an example of a team that got hot in a tourney and won it despite not being able to sustain that success in the long term. They vaulted near the top of the rankings only to be exposed, but if that tournament was all we saw they were amazing. ) Myron also pointed out that the NCAA football in lieu of a playoff picked its champion for years. Metcalf went on to say that this is not an ideal situation, but The NCAA needs it have a contingency plan in place to make a champion. What if it happens again next season?

Will just bashed on the idea. No NCAA tournament no champion.

I say why not name a regular season champion if there is no tournament? KU beat 2 presumptive top seeds on the way to its top ranking. KU is not ncaa tournament champions, but I feel they should be named regular season champions!

• We are not KSU grasping at straws, that is why.

Beating other contenders is always the test of any champion.

I suppose we should go ahead and have the media decide who is the champion in all the other college sports, give the Larry O’Brien trophy to the NBA best record, and the Stanley Cup to the NHL leader?

If MLB doesn’t start, I suppose we can use spring training records in lieu of the World Series?

Why would anyone want something that would just piss everyone else off?

• @dylans I agree that KU was the best overall and the current format of the tournament means the best team seldom wins IMO. If you want a real champion, make the higher seed host the round of 64 and 32. Then have a reseeded 16 team double elimination tournament with the teams left. The trouble is that would eliminate a fair share of upset and would hurt viewership for non basketball people. We all would still watch and probably be happier with the results. But the random fans that tune in late in the year and just for the tournament wouldn’t be watching. I believe the the NCAA men’s basketball tournament to the hardest title to win in all of sports. I agree with @mayjay, we aren’t the champions. They haven’t voted titles in basketball in over 80 years. People already discount the helms titles and no one would take this seriously. It sucks for all parties involved, we will never know what’s could’ve happened this season or if we will have a team at this level for a few years.

• @kjayhawks No one cares to watch a Cinderella team after the round of 32. When you get a crap team in the final four viewership goes down. Everyone wants to watch the blue bloods. The NBA gets it right with best of 7 series, but you can’t have that many games in college. Double elimination would definitely give us better matchups come the final four; the best teams would actual get a chance to play each other. i.e. Virginia a couple years ago got bounced in the first round as a 1 seed, but that 16 seed wasn’t the better team, just better that night.

I don’t expect they will name a champion this year, but I would like to see what the NCAA would do if there was no tournament the next year, as KU doesn’t stand a chance, and I’d like to see what they do if Villanova or Duke is the presumed number one team. The way things are going there may not be football or basketball next year anyway. People are not taking steps to slow Coronavirus down enough, it’s not going away anytime soon if ever.

• NCAA football had the purest champion in sports (yes all sports, I’ve studied all sports!) when it was a 2 team playoff. While there was some debate over who the two best teams were, there were no cinderellas, and we all watched. MLB when it was a 4 division league had really pure champions. But dad gummit, in my best Roy voice, the dance is a ton of fun and so unpredictable.

• @mayjay lol I told you not to read. It really does seem to piss you off. Embrace your anger let the dark side empower you. Lol

• @dylans I am not angry. Just surprised you want to have a “We participated better trophy.”

• @mayjay Nope just recognition for the guys who poured their hearts and souls into a number one ranking that will not amount to a hill of beans given no tournament. I said name them regular season champs not NCAA tournament champs. Really they could do that every year. The regular season champ is more legit imho. Just look at the Big12 tournament. KU wins the regular season most years, but only half the Big12 tournaments. So how does a single elimination tournament save hurt feelings, much less crown the best team champ? I’d say if people get upset so easily they’d better stop watching sports as that’s not healthy.

If Duke was the unanimous #1 team at the conclusion of the regular season I’d be fine with them hanging a banner. I don’t think the NCAA needs to recognize it the same as a tournament champ, but that level of excellence deserves some level of recognition.

• As I said, KSU stuff.

• @mayjay said in Other bball news:

As I said, KSU stuff.

My 5 year old son says KSU poops their pants.

• @rockchalkwyo Tell that very smart kid, “And then because they are so proud of the shit they do they make a banner out of it!”

Well, maybe edit it a bit…

@kjayhawks No one cares to watch a Cinderella team after the round of 32. When you get a crap team in the final four viewership goes down. Everyone wants to watch the blue bloods. The NBA gets it right with best of 7 series, but you can’t have that many games in college. Double elimination would definitely give us better matchups come the final four; the best teams would actual get a chance to play each other. i.e. Virginia a couple years ago got bounced in the first round as a 1 seed, but that 16 seed wasn’t the better team, just better that night.

I don’t expect they will name a champion this year, but I would like to see what the NCAA would do if there was no tournament the next year, as KU doesn’t stand a chance, and I’d like to see what they do if Villanova or Duke is the presumed number one team. The way things are going there may not be football or basketball next year anyway. People are not taking steps to slow Coronavirus down enough, it’s not going away anytime soon if ever.

I don’t know… there was a lot of excitement when Loyola-Chicago and George Mason played in the Elite Eight and won… Those were pretty amazing runs… I don’t consider VCU to be the same, but some could say that was also one of those remarkable runs. I personally think we gave the game to them, but I’m sure UConn feels the same about George Mason and K-State / Loyola-Chicago…

So, I would say that Cinderellas are pretty exciting to watch when they get to the EE and memorable when they win and move on to the FF. Even more memorable when they win the NC as KU in 1988 and Villanova in 85…

• @bskeet They’re good stories no doubt, but those are also among the lowest rates games at that stage of the tournament because those schools lack recognition of the blue bloods.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Should we care about ratings that won’t exist, for theoretical games that won’t be played, as a basis for making distinctions among teams in fantasies about national championships that should not be awarded?

Why would ratings matter? If so, let Duke, UK and UNC fight it out every year.

• @mayjay said in Other bball news:

@Texas-Hawk-10 Should we care about ratings that won’t exist, for theoretical games that won’t be played, as a basis for making distinctions among teams in fantasies about national championships that should not be awarded?

Why would ratings matter? If so, let Duke, UK and UNC fight it out every year.

What are you talking about? Where did I say anything about ratings for non existent games or handing out a national championship this year?

Bskeet was talking about people being into Loyola, VCU, George Mason, and other mid major programs that have made Final Four runs in recent history because they were good stories. I said the TV ratings for those semifinal games are among the least watched Final Four games because at the end of the day, people would rather watch a Final Four game between blue bloods.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

I agree.

The NCAA tournament is weird in that everyone likes to see upsets early on, unless its against their favorite team, but they want the top teams to make it to the Final Four because they want quality basketball at the end.

That’s why people like to see a 12 or 13 seed get to the Sweet 16, but then get knocked out by a 1 or 2 seed. Makes for a fun story, but the best teams are all still around at the end.

• @mayjay I see nothing compelling in your name calling, maybe if I was 6. Are you sure you’re feeling okay? You normally are fun to chat with…and fairly nice. The argument you presented seems way below you.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Sorry–got crossed up with my exchanges with Dylans. He was responding to someone else, as were you, and not the sub-thread.

I thought it seemed a little odd… Mea culpa!

• @dylans Dunno what you are reading. Name calling?

• @dylans Incidentally, you keep calling me angry. I don’t get it. I feel strongly that we don’t need to stretch existing norms to honor the team, but I am not angry about it. I just don’t want the majority of basketball to ridicule what we do like we ridicule KSU. You have made the most personal comments.

• Let me attempt once more stir conversation on the topic. I don’t hold a very strong opinion myself, but would love to hear a strong supporting or opposing argument that had a little substance to it. I’m short on brain dead entertainment, normally sports occupies that headspace.

How about, if given these extreme circumstances, and given the entire regular season was complete, the AP and Coaches name a top team of the year? Not much different than a AP coach of the year or AP player of the year. Just an ! to end the season on. Not a “fake” NCAA banner, just some accolade for finishing the season nearly universally (I believe Gonzaga picked up 4-5 votes of the 100+ coach/AP votes after winning their post season tournament) viewed as the team on top.

I honestly don’t care that much about the fans, I’m curious what would be appropriate for the players as Coach Self has lobbied for some sort of recognition for the team himself. Any ideas anyone???

• Texas decides they will suck at basketball for another season. Shaka returns

• @BeddieKU23 said in Other bball news:

Texas decides they will suck at basketball for another season. Shaka returns

Well just means another successful year against them anyways lol

• @BeddieKU23 said in Other bball news:

Texas decides they will suck at basketball for another season. Shaka returns

Not surprising honestly. I’ve been saying they wouldn’t move on from Shaka until either their new arena opens up. Texas just doesn’t care enough about basketball and Shaka had Texas on enough of a run at the end of the season that Texas was probably going to make the NCAA Tournament this season.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

Plus the buyout is high for a sport they don’t care about

• Shaka’s not a bad coach, honestly.

He’s had some weird luck at Texas. Good players, but bizarre injuries and illness that have left him shorthanded from time to time. That happens to everyone, of course, but it’s weird to be sure.

He’s been sharp though, as evidenced by getting tabbed to coach USA Basketball. Everyone is considered for those jobs. Getting to be on those staff’s speaks to his standing amongst other coaches.

• https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/28972856/ncaa-approves-extra-year-eligibility-spring-athletes

You get a Covid19 redshirt and you get a covid19 redshirt and you get a covid19 redshirt…

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/28972856/ncaa-approves-extra-year-eligibility-spring-athletes

You get a Covid19 redshirt and you get a covid19 redshirt and you get a covid19 redshirt…

This was the correct decision. Extra year of eligibility because these seasons had barely started, if they had started at all.

• Decent chance UK signee Terrence Clarke goes G League. Would be a brutal hit.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Other bball news:

Decent chance UK signee Terrence Clarke goes G League. Would be a brutal hit.

Big time talent

• We are potentially seeing big changes here if lots of the elite talent is going to start playing in the G League or overseas.

• Terrance Clark is going to Kentucky

• Exactly how big is a “big G-League contract”?

• @approxinfinity 125k salary but endorsements are possible. Guessing UK pays better.

• @BShark said in Other bball news:

We are potentially seeing big changes here if lots of the elite talent is going to start playing in the G League or overseas.

Gonna see a lot of watered down College ball. - -College is just basically a farm league system for the NBA

• @jayballer73 said in Other bball news:

@BShark said in Other bball news:

We are potentially seeing big changes here if lots of the elite talent is going to start playing in the G League or overseas.

Gonna see a lot of watered down College ball. - -College is just basically a farm league system for the NBA

It’s looking like it might become more of a farm system for Europe/Australia at the rate things are going. 😆

• @BShark said in Other bball news:

@jayballer73 said in Other bball news:

@BShark said in Other bball news:

It’s looking like it might become more of a farm system for Europe/Australia at the rate things are going. 😆

True. , and with that being said we can still see decent ball in College games BUT it is for sure going to detract from the game. kinda sucks. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• just rea an article from Adam Zagoria from Zags Blog. - - Kentucky is losing 7 out of it’s top 8 players Including 5 non Seniors to the NBA draft.

Kentucky has to replace 94.4 % of it’s scoring & 84.4 % of it’s rebounding. - -Ahh but worry not my friends lol you know OL Cal has plenty coming in to replace right? ROCK CHA;LK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Yep, they’re losing Hagans, Maxey, Quickley, Richards, Montgomery, Whitney, and Juzang. They have Keion Brooks coming back - a 6’7 forward who played 15 minutes per game and averaged 4.5 points and 3.2 rebounds.

Coming in they have two top-10 recruits who are both small forwards - BJ Boston and Terrence Clarke, a 5-star point guard Devin Askew, a 4-star power forward Isaiah Jackson, another 4-star power forward Lance Ware, and another 4-star small forward Cam’Ron Fletcher.

They pretty badly need a big man now that Montgomery declared for the draft. UK fans are praying they land Matt Haarms who is transferring from Purdue.

• Amazing UK couldn’t do better than a 3/4-seed in the NCAA tournament this season considering all the NBA players they apparently had on their roster.

• @KirkIsMyHinrich said in Other bball news:

They pretty badly need a big man now that Montgomery declared for the draft. UK fans are praying they land Matt Haarms who is transferring from Purdue.

Desperate times in Lexington.

• Well lookie there, Coach K ought to just be tickled pink. - - Hurt returning for his Soph year. - -WOW what a surprise lol

• @jayballer73 said in Other bball news:

Well lookie there, Coach K ought to just be tickled pink. - - Hurt returning for his Soph year. - -WOW what a surprise lol

Hurt wasn’t projected to be drafted so not that surprising.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Other bball news:

@jayballer73 said in Other bball news:

Well lookie there, Coach K ought to just be tickled pink. - - Hurt returning for his Soph year. - -WOW what a surprise lol

Hurt wasn’t projected to be drafted so not that surprising.

ya I know was being just a ta sarcastic - you couldn’t tell? lol. Hurt was not very impressive at all in his freshman year. would he of been a more of an impact player say like - - -Here? kind of questionable, not sure where he would of made that impact. I dunno ,