Trae Young

• Final: Trae Young - 22 assists Northwestern St - 7 assists

• FeelsBadMan

• Tied an NCAA record. There is some serious guard play in the Big 12 this season.

• KirkIsMyHinrich said:

Tied an NCAA record. There is some serious guard play in the Big 12 this season

like they were talking about Trae last night in our game - some trying to talk him up for NPOY & they were saying ummm maybe just a little to early for them to be talking about that - they said just as you stated - let’s see how he pans out throughout the Conference season against some of these guards from the Big 12 - See how he matches up against Carter and gang and other really good Big 12 Guards - then see how he holds up. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Young did this in 29 minutes of play, but on the other hand the competition wasn’t the stiffest either - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• So, what would have happened if Young had picked KU?

• KU would be a better team.

• @BShark Come on, that’s no fun. I was more thinking along the lines of Young would have run his car into a curb, or Self would say he wasn’t grasping our system, or a bong would have fallen out of his backpack — something entertaining like that.

• 22 assists, that’s absurd.

Glad he’s doing well, just wish it was in a different uniform.

• The way he’s playing he could be putting himself in the Top 10 of the draft despite lacking some of the conventional physical attributes that guys that go that high usually have. If he continues to show a game that compares to a NBA superstar (Curry) its going to be interesting to see what teams do to try and get such a talent

• In other news, D’Aaron Fox hurt his ankle, so BIFM kicked butt last night. He had 16 points in 22 minutes. Nice…

• love me some BIFM news

• @BeddieKU23 I wonder if he’s good enough to play for Wichita State?

• nuleafjhawk said:

@BeddieKU23 I wonder if he’s good enough to play for Wichita State?

Greg’s wife said hold my beer

• HighEliteMajor said:

So, what would have happened if Young had picked KU? Not really sure other then we know he wouldn’t of knocked Devonte out of his starting spot we know that. - -ROC CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54 To me Devonte looked more natural as a 2, so Young at the point let’s Devonte’ just play. It also give you three very good guards with ball handling skills able to play the point. Young would be nice, (I’d prefer Sexton) but a post is what this team is really lacking. Dok needs some help.

The best thing about no post depth is Lightfoot and Dok are getting all the minutes they can handle. That should speed their development up.

• dylans said:

@jayballer54 To me Devonte looked more natural as a 2, so Young at the point let’s Devonte’ just play. It also give you three very good guards with ball handling skills able to play the point. Young would be nice, (I’d prefer Sexton) but a post is what this team is really lacking. Dok needs some help.

The best thing about no post depth is Lightfoot and Dok are getting all the minutes they can handle. That should speed their development up.

No doubt Trae is very very talented, but again like the commentators mentioned the other night before w go an anoint him so fast we shall see how he handles the rigors against a league of very talented guards in the Big 12. - Again he is going to win some for ya - - he will lose some, most of lose going to be on the road, the road in the big 12 this season more then ever is going t be really nasty for opposing teams.

There are going to be times when he jacks up one of those mid court shots at a critical point of a game that’s going to cost them the game. - Actually I can see this happening multiple times. - Kind of reminds me of a kid that I played with in High School - - his whole train of thought was asa soon as he crossed mid court - -he thought was when in doubt - - -SHOOT lmao. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Will be interesting to see how Devonte responds to the matchup with Young when they meet in Norman in late January. The last time Devonte was challenged to stop an big-named OU player he got the best of Hield. Young will be a different animal to stop then Hield was. OU runs a ton of high ball screens that will make it very difficult for our defense to do anything other then pray he misses or makes a bad pass. Right now he’s doing both at a level that no one can stop.

• @KUSTEVE

Indeed and it was a very efficient 16 points, 7-9 from the field and 2-2 from 3.

• @BeddieKU23 maybe a box and 1 w/Marcus on him? I know the other frosh had a career day against wsu. Hopefully Doke might be a lil more intimidating at the rim? I’ve only seen ou play twice, but I didn’t think young played on ball D to well. He does jump passing lanes really well. Lattin is pretty good underneath, still not great at the line😬 I can’t wait to play them, if we have all our guys! They made quite a few bone head plays that let wsu back in at the end. Should be fun!

• Young’s efficiency is what has my attention.

He has an effective FG% of 57%. His assist to turnover ratio is 2.7 to 1. He’s shooting 58% from 2 point range, amazing for a guard his size.

That level of efficiency makes OU a factor all season because he can keep them in games and potentially win it at the end with his shooting.

• @Crimsonorblue22

Yeah Manek was terrific in that game against WSU, has a really quick release and is the type of stretch 4 man that always gives us fits. Depending on who’s eligible to play by that point we should be able to put either a guard on him or someone with size, preferably Preston.

What they will do with Doke is run him off the paint with the high ball screens which Young has shown an advanced skill set for coming off or using to his advantage to get separation for a 3 or making a quick pass off their action from the screen. We’ll have to come up with some game plan against him, either hedging hard and ball trapping or something. Not only is he a deadly shooter, his vision is so pin point. He knows where to go with the ball before the defenders even have a chance to bother him. Marcus is a good option especially because he defended him last year in HS. Young is a nightmare to stop right now

• @justanotherfan

Utilizes that floater game with great precision. And surprisingly when he does go all the way to the rim he is really good at using his body and deceptive athleticism to finish.

• I remember a pretty decent OU player in 2016 that was:

• John R. Wooden Award (2016)
    • Naismith College Player of the Year (2016)
    • Oscar Robertson Trophy (2016)
    • Sporting News College Player of the Year (2016)
    • Consensus first-team All-American (2016)

His name is Buddy Hield. KU beat that team twice including a 3 OT thriller at AFH and a more comfortable win in Norman. Trae Young notwithstanding, KU will beat OU again.

• @HighEliteMajor That is a very intriguing question: What would have happened if Young had chosen KU over his home state school Oklahoma? We know with some degree of certainty that Bill Self is not much inclined to place control of the ball into freshman hands. Bill had Graham and Newman at slots 1 + 2. Young would have lit up practice sessions, perhaps creating mayhem for decision makers on the coaching staff. I have watched Trae play twice this season. There is no doubt whatsoever that he is the real deal; one of the premier Big 12 guards (already) of the past two decades. With Newman struggling, so far, this season, it would seem that Trae Young and Graham could have wreaked havoc for the two opponents who defeated our current lineup. But that is just speculation…a huge WHAT IF. Personally, I think we are yet to observe Malik Newman settle in as a very successful scoring guard, although a player whose defense is not first rate. If we eventually obtain the services of a traditional big power forward who can stretch the floor, Newman’s offense should leap to an uptick. But then, perhaps I am just rambling. Trae Young would have been a jewel of a recruit for any team in Division 1. IF healthy, he will give us absolute fits in Norman and AFH.

• Young at PG would have been amazing. Would have let us bring Newman off the bench. Would have let us play fast all the time.

Would have been beautiful.

• Maybe Young was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Maybe he was the last kid Self recruited and didn’t guarantee a starting spot. So he said f*ck that, and gave Dotson and Grimes his word they would start.

Young could be the reason Bill goes on a crazy stretch of recruiting. Obviously this is me looking at it glass full… I wish we got Trae real, realy bad.

• After he left Manhattan I have voiced a healthy respect for the demeanor and coaching prowess of Lon Kruger. Am happy for him that he landed this kid Young. Will be a huge loss to Kruger, Oklahoma and Big 12 Basketball if this freshman’s play catapults him into the 2018 NBA lottery. Could very well happen.

• @REHawk

If h continues to play at level close to where he is playing now, I just don’t see how he would not be a lottery pick.

• @Kcmatt7

The misses in that class alone could have all contributed to a change. Ayton, Young, Sexton- all thriving at other schools. Usually we look back and say well that kid wouldn’t have made KU better. Not the case with these 3

• @JayHawkFanToo In retrospect, producing the likes of Buddy Hield and Frank Mason has really embellished the level of guard play in Big 12 Basketball. Trae Young looks to be cut in the mold of another spectacular Big 12 guard; and one who, from early appearances, won’t have to develop several collegiate seasons to reap national recognition. Unless league coaches figure out a way to thwart his progress, Young now looks to be a player who someday will represent this nation in Olympic level competition. Born ready.

• @JayHawkFanToo

I was privileged during my Baton Rouge years to be in the PMAC to see Oklahoma and Buddy Hield play LSU and Ben Simmons. It was a big time atmosphere, only time I’ve ever seen it there in 11 years of going to games. It was a spectacular game with a large OU comeback led by Buddy, really fun to watch.

It was also notable, and oft discussed in LSU circles that as Buddy began to shine in their comeback Simmons sank into the background. I forget the specifics but he didn’t shoot in the last five minutes. Even their last possession, down by 1 with time to work for a decent shot he doesn’t touch the ball. A consensus top player in the upcoming draft playing against an top ranked team and a chance to win with a buzzer beater and he doesn’t touch the ball.

• Here’s my final post on this thread, as I am aware that I am waxing a bit too lugubrious on the subject. However; just think about this for a moment. Even though the Sooners were playing a not very strong opponent in Northwestern, Trae Young scores 26 points while dishing 22 assists! The previous Big 12 record in assists was 17. Young leads Division 1 in scoring, and is dishing over 10 assists per game, which propels him near the lead in that category, as well. A freshman! The opposing coach compares him to Magic Johnson in his ability to see the entire floor, focusing on all 9 other players, knowing innately precisely where to target his passes or place the ball. Our league is in for a rare treat, watching this kid play the game. Our Jayhawks in for a scary pair of regular season opportunities to match up against his talent. Trae Young will fill arenas wherever he sets foot.

• JayHawkFanToo said:

I remember a pretty decent OU player in 2016 that was:

• John R. Wooden Award (2016)
    • Naismith College Player of the Year (2016)
    • Oscar Robertson Trophy (2016)
    • Sporting News College Player of the Year (2016)
    • Consensus first-team All-American (2016)

His name is Buddy Hield. KU beat that team twice including a 3 OT thriller at AFH and a more comfortable win in Norman. Trae Young notwithstanding, KU will beat OU again.

I don’t feel Trae Young is any better then Buddy. Buddy was really good - -REALLY GOOD. Trae is really good, but I don’t think he is any better then what Buddy is or was.

We will see , We will see. - again until he goes the distance through this Rugged Big 12 season I’m not going to and wet all over myself anointing him . - -seen plenty of really good players come through this league just another really good player, and we still holding the titles and counting. - -AGAIN he will cost them games - -believe that. - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• I’m just not comfortable with all this coveting of another man’s property. Let us not worship this young phenom any more.

If we MUST talk about him, let’s talk about his down side.

He’s too pretty. He probably is mean to dogs and little kids. He doesn’t donate his spare change to McDonald’s “gimmee tray”. Probably never has donated to the red cross or gone on a mission trip. Probably only brushes his teeth once a day. If that. And doesn’t floss.

I don’t even have to type it all out any more - I’ll just say @jaybate-1-0 disclaimer and y’all know what i mean.

• @nuleafjhawk I’ll take Frank any day of the week.

• @nuleafjhawk Oh, I thought you were talking about Jaybate!

• @KUSTEVE Best comment yet … I’ll take Frank period.

• @jayballer54 Buddy Hield was not this good as a freshman. Trae Young is a special talent with an incredibly high ceiling and is coming into college much further along in his development than Hield was.

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

@jayballer54 Buddy Hield was not this good as a freshman. Trae Young is a special talent with an incredibly high ceiling and is coming into college much further along in his development than Hield was.

Pretty close to the same supporting cast as what Buddy had - -actually think Buddy had a little better cast. - -TRAE Young is not going to beat you by himself - the objective with him just like other talented players - -sure they may get their points that’s great knock yourself out. just don’t let others have career nights.

Trae will not beat us by himself he may try. I’m not overly concerned We have run across many super stars just as good as Trae

To name a few: Blake Griffin , Buddy Hield , Kevin Durant, Steph Curry - Great players - didn’t beat us, let Trae do his thing , I guess I have to say it again, I’ve seen Trae already make some bone headed plays, it’s just that the competition hasn’t been the greatest - -In Big 12 play against other talented teams - it’s gonna cost him and OU, he will launch one of those half court shots, - try to get to fancy with a pass at a critical time. I’m not saying he isn’t good, all I’m saying is let’s play it out se how OU as a team fares in Big 12 play.

I’ll always take really good TEAM talent over ONE. - Doesn’t matter how good you are those aren’t very good odds one on five.

Your right Buddy wasn’t , but Buddy developed into a hell of a player, seemed to do just fine- -last time I checked pretty sure Buddy is in the league now. - -Buddy took3-4 years to get to where he is - - -Still didn’t beat KU. - - -Trae may be a Freshman stud - -we aren’t going to play Trae 4 years - we play him as a Freshman, a freshman is a freshman, bring him in to a important road game say like at the phog, lets saying Championship riding on the game - let’s see how he handles that kind of environment -still a freshman, Buddy was there four years great player - Still didn’t beat KU, we will see how the conference plays out with Trae against other upper class very talented guards. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @nuleafjhawk

He has a fear of birds, so he’s afraid of a Jay-Hawk

• Trae is proof what a single freshman can bring to a team.

I believe he is much better than Steph Curry in his freshman year. Not even close.

And at OU, all they can say now is… “Buddy who?”

If we don’t approach our games with OU correctly, and really put in side work to tweak our strategy to Trae, we are dead meat. Trae will cut through our guards like butter, drawing fouls all the way through to the rim.

The old idea that one guy can’t beat us better not be our strategy. Why is that? Because Trae gets his points… while also getting his assists.

• One won’t, but two can. I.e. Purdue - Big Dog Glen Robinson and mother loving s@$&! Cunzo Martin can.

• Young doesn’t want to beat you by himself. He’s averaging 28 points and 10 assists. He’s not monopolizing the action. On any given night, he’s worth about 50 points when you count how he sets up his teammates. That’s a huge factor in any game. That’s why he can keep his team in any game.

He was worth over 50 against Wichita State, when you account for the fact that some of his assists were on threes. That’s why OU is averaging a nationally leading 94 points a night. Young gives you 50 or better by himself, everyone else can account for 40-something. And with the gravity his shooting creates, guys like Christian James and Brady Manek have better looks at shots (James shooting 49% from the field this year vs. 36% last season - bet he understands what a difference playing with a great PG makes). Manek has an easy transition to college and is tossing in 11 and 5 while shooting over 50%. Kadeem Lattin also benefits, averaging a career best 9 and 8 on 59% shooting (shot 56% playing with Hield, then down to 52% last year without a good PG due to injury).

That’s four guys that are playing at a really high level, two of whom have taken huge steps forward this year after disappointing seasons a year ago. All of that traces to Young. He has actually made Lattin and James better (or more accurately, gotten their best out of them).

• @drgnslayr we all know its going to be the same thing as it always is. Our guards will give actual effort into defense for a few possessions or minutes, then act like they don’t care about it for the rest of the game. Trae will slice and dice, making our guards look inept, followed by little or no adjustment from the court or from the sideline. Like clockwork and will remain this way until the tournament when our guys care about effort and energy defensively.

• @jayballer54 I don’t think Blake ever got to play against KU.

• wrwlumpy said:

@jayballer54 I don’t think Blake ever got to play against KU.

Yes I think your right , he was hurt I believe both times - -my bad. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Trae and OU are on ESPN2 vs Big 10 Northwestern at 6pm tonight.

• @wrwlumpy Just turned on the game - 72-40 OU less than 2 minutes into the 2nd half - against a decent NW team…

• DCHawker said:

@wrwlumpy Just turned on the game - 72-40 OU less than 2 minutes into the 2nd half - against a decent NW team…

TCU kicked the hell out of Northwestern, their best player is out tonight. - - he has a concussion. - - maybe it was Texas tech, one of the two - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY