Need Games To Start

• I’m fiending for the Hawks this year. I got a good feeling.

• I wish SOMETHING would start. I’ve been at home for a couple of days with the 'vid and I’m bored out of my mind. Even with 10,000 shows to watch

• Literally read my mind

• Olympics start on Saturday

• @Jhawk69 - Actually yesterday for soccer and a few others started yesterday and today. Already a big issue on one soccer game. Friday night is the the big parade.

• Aug 10. Fake football starts.

• @dylans said in Need Games To Start:

Aug 10. Fake football starts.

Heh, I can’t do it. I usually get about half an hour in before I give up. It’s just so lame.

Definitely excited for KU football this year though.

• @wissox and myself are sure pumped for the Hall of Fame game

• @BShark I want to see Worthy and Wiley. Other than that it’s pretty worthless.

• @FarmerJayhawk I didn’t know I was, but I guess so! Preseason football bores me to death so I’ll probably not watch.

• I like to look up the box scores of preseason games to see if any rookies did well but I rarely ever watch the games

• Anybody watching the Olympics? I’m watching rugby. Did we have a decent team? Anxious to see the Chiefs new rugby guy play. Tough guys!

• @Crimsonorblue22 best quote of the Olympics -after a gymnastics vault

WOW! He stuck that like a toothpick in a club sandwich!

• @Crimsonorblue22 Watching swim meets

• I lived for quite a while in a small Wisconsin town and had an acquaintance there who is the grandfather of Sam Hauser of the Celtics and Joey Hauser who is in the G League. We stopped at a supper club there Friday night for the delicious fish fry and Steve F walks in with his wife and grandson Joey! Kid making more than a million wearing old T Shirt and baggy shorts. Said hi, asked Steve if he could still beat his grandsons in horse and moved on. But it’s just not every day you eat at a restaurant in central, rural Wisconsin and an NBA player and brother and grandpa of an NBA champion walk in.

• I think my favorite part of the Olympics so far has been snoop dogg carrying the torch. I’m a big fan of his and how he came from the streets like me, I just can’t rap lol.

• @kjayhawks said in Need Games To Start:

I think my favorite part of the Olympics so far has been snoop dogg carrying the torch. I’m a big fan of his and how he came from the streets like me, I just can’t rap lol.

He has been my least favorite part. This is supposed to be about the athletes, not about some old washed up rapper stealing the spotlight from them. Way too much of him on the screen. The cameras should be focused on the athletes, their families, and their stories.

• @RockkChalkk Not a great Olympics so far. Lots of weird, a little bit of good. Hope it improves.

• @dylans it’s been weird for sure @RockkChalkk it ain’t his fault they keep showing him. He’s there supporting his country and several friends. Kinda like the Taylor Swift hate at chiefs games, she there supporting her BF literally nothing wrong with it.

• @kjayhawks said in Need Games To Start:

@dylans it’s been weird for sure @RockkChalkk it ain’t his fault they keep showing him. He’s there supporting his country and several friends. Kinda like the Taylor Swift hate at chiefs games, she there supporting her BF literally nothing wrong with it.

I see your point. To me, I think he crosses the line by joining the studio for segments, when he is in the pool with Phelps for a segment, when he plants himself next to parents of kids about to compete in their big event, etc. The camera is obviously going to show the parents after their kid does their event and there he is again. It is just different than say, Tom Cruise who was there and shown a few times by the cameras but I didn’t get the sense that he was trying to steal the spotlight.

• @RockkChalkk it’s not sports anymore. It’s entertainment.

• @dylans usa’s men and women team gymnastics teams were easy to root for.

• @approxinfinity Pommel Clark Kent.

• I like snoop. Somebody listed all the clubs and organizations he supports, really lengthy! Him and Martha Stewart are a funny duo. I am surprised we are not as strong in swimming as usual. Looking forward to the KU kids in track and field. Bryce Hoppel in the 800.

• Since Snoop is a celebrity commentator for the games, seeing him cheering the team at events is no different than seeing Hoda or Savannah. I’d prefer less of all of it, but we’re stuck with it.

I have really liked being able to switch between total coverage of events on Peacock. Only drawback is you would have to go Premium to save events to watch later. Not worth the $79 addition to my $19 annual basic!

• I’m also looking forward to the new nfl kickoff. It’s going to be way different. Might be good. Could be lame.

• @dylans said in Need Games To Start:

I’m also looking forward to the new nfl kickoff. It’s going to be way different. Might be good. Could be lame.

I don’t quite grasp the new kickoff concept yet. Gotta read more on that.

• @mayjay I’m a little confused by your post. I got the peacock for this, all the games are available for replay on demand it seems. Just got the basic 7.99 deal.

• @wissox $7.99 is indeed for Peacock Premium, which does have replay and on demand. The cheap version I have doesn’t. 😟

• @mayjay Um, when I signed up for the Olympics the cheapest deal was 7.99. I don’t have replay like pause/rewind, etc.

• @wissox Oooooops, all the confusion is my fault. I was relying on a Reddit reviewer for the details about recording and they had it wrong (big surprise). Sorry!

Premium PLUS ($11.99/month) is necessaary to download shows to watch later and to rewind/ff/pause. So we are in same boat. Sorry!

• @mayjay Oh man, apologies not needed for that minorest of offenses!!

• It used to be when a man hit a woman he went to jail. But now the IOC will give you a medal! 🏅 Weird world we live in.

https://apple.news/A1NngIC_ZTa2dOU-TFVr2yg

• @dylans “Weird” is one of the kindest words I can think of.

• @dylans Worth noting that Khelif was born female. The article touches on this.

“The Algerian boxer was born female, was registered female, lived her life as a female, boxed as a female and has a female passport,” Adams said. “This is not a transgender case. There has been some confusion that this is a man fighting a woman. This is just not the case. On that there is consensus. Scientifically this is not a man fighting a woman.”

It’s actually illegal to be transgender in Algeria.

There was an African runner with a similar case, I am failing to remember her name right now. I would agree that transgender athletes should not be allowed but this is more of a gray area imo.

• @BShark That human is a hermaphrodite. XY chromosomes. Not a Tranny or natural born male, but also not a female. No way they should be allowed to compete against women that aren’t themselves on steroids. Look at “her” arms, hips, and chest, then look at the competition. Something is very wrong there. It’s as if there is a very real safety reason for the IBA ruling that the IOC is not upholding.

Teenage boys destroy adult women in competition. Case in point the Texas high school soccer team that embarrassed the women’s national team. In 7th grade we scrimmaged the girls HS varsity team and whooped them - that really reinforced in my mind that whole never hit a woman thing (never have, never will), they are simply built different. Testosterone is a huge advantage and the reason for gender segregation in sports. It’s flat not fair.

• @dylans Fair enough. It’s just there has been a lot of misinformation about this so I wanted to make sure it was presented accurately here. Caster Semenya is the other I was thinking of. Who was ultimately banned via changes to the rules made by the governing body for track and field (World Athletic now I think, formerly IAAF) banning people with varying DSDs from 400, 800 and 1500 meter races unless they surpress their testosterone levels. So it is pretty clearly widely seen as an issue.

• Again I say. What a weird world we live in. lol I wish life was more cut and dry. It seems the gray areas get larger the older I get. At 8 years old I 100% knew right from wrong. Now it’s murky.

• Hi. New contributor, but long term lurker here. Testosterone is an iffy guide to sex determination. There is a wide range of normal testosterone levels in people, with many women in the upper level of normal having higher levels than men at the lower level of normal. And suppressing testosterone can have serious health consequences; what might be a population-wide normal level may not be adequate for an individual. I often told my students that strict on/off, yes/no, this or that situations are rare in biology. The species concept, for example, is a human construct for making classification easier; in nature there are often intermediate forms between two species and where we draw the line is arbitrary. Likewise for testosterone (and many other hormones that can affect athletic performance), there is less difference between males and females than many suspect. While we need rules for who plays on which sports teams, any rules we make will be arbitrary and there will always be special cases that just don’t fit. And yes, I did study biology (immunology and microbiology) at KU!

• Nikki Hiltz the American 1500m olympic trials winner is transgender and in the Paris Olympics. Hiltz was born female and cannot receiver gender affirming care including testosterone to be able to compete. The East Germans doped up their men and women athletes with steroids and dominated the Olympics with 519 medals with 409 in the summer games and 110 in the winter games. I see that we are retesting weight lifters samples from past Olympics and one year they retested for and they took away the gold medal and declared the next medalist the winner and then guess what? They went down to about 14th place to get a final medal awards.

• @BShark from what I remember from the other gal, she did not know she had male organs that failed to come down. It was very embarrassing that everybody found out when she did. Sad.

• @dylans right and wrong is whatever you want it to be, brother. Or sister. Or whatever you are today.

• @ImmunoHawk said in Need Games To Start:

Hi. New contributor, but long term lurker here. Testosterone is an iffy guide to sex determination. There is a wide range of normal testosterone levels in people, with many women in the upper level of normal having higher levels than men at the lower level of normal. And suppressing testosterone can have serious health consequences; what might be a population-wide normal level may not be adequate for an individual. I often told my students that strict on/off, yes/no, this or that situations are rare in biology. The species concept, for example, is a human construct for making classification easier; in nature there are often intermediate forms between two species and where we draw the line is arbitrary. Likewise for testosterone (and many other hormones that can affect athletic performance), there is less difference between males and females than many suspect. While we need rules for who plays on which sports teams, any rules we make will be arbitrary and there will always be special cases that just don’t fit. And yes, I did study biology (immunology and microbiology) at KU!

Welcome aboard!

• @ImmunoHawk welcome to our community! You’re going to need to dumb it down considerably for me though! Lol

• The Turkish hitman was impressive! One hand in his pocket looking bored, acting like Dash from the Incredibles - don’t do too well just take silver.

• @nuleafjhawk I have a bad case of professorial verbosity, not sure if it’s curable.

• @ImmunoHawk Hmm. I understood “bad” and “curable”.

• @ImmunoHawk did you go to medical school?

• @Crimsonorblue22 No, I did grad school in the KU microbiology department. Then spent 30 years teaching undergraduates, most of whom were planning on going to medical school. Had that dream job of teaching (mostly) highly motivated kids with excellent character.

• @ImmunoHawk Thanks for your c0ntribution! Hoping your immune system is strong enough to keep you healthy after dealing with all the parasites, viruses and bacteria infesting my comments and several others here!