Money... money.... money.....

• ku_bkc_tsu_05_t640.jpg

That sweet, beautiful jump shot is already paying off for Gradey.

He’s increasing his KU revenue by adding in more NIL -

https://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2022/dec/6/kansas-freshman-gradey-dick-one-of-4-cur/

Is it possible some elite college players will hustle a bit more while in college to increase their current NIL money?

What comes to mind with me… Quentin Grimes. That guy did not go 100% while wearing crimson/blue. But if it impacted his bank account immediately, maybe he would have put in more effort.

Thoughts?

• @drgnslayr

Honestly with how NIL is going if your not actively trying to retain your own players your risk losing them after the season. Teams are tampering and offering large sums of money just for players to enter the portal in Football right now so its bound to happen in Basketball as well.

Gradey seems on top of his NIL with this and the commercial that dropped earlier. If Gradey needs another year of college (draft stock slips for example) his NIL will be the reason he likely returns.

I just don’t think Grimes was mature enough to handle KU when he was here. It’s also possible he just wasn’t a culture fit & the fresh start he got is ultimately what he needed. It’s always telling when Self didn’t fight hard to retain him but was still respectful enough to let him move on without needing a waiver at Houston. Things seemed to be amicable enough with both sides that they were able to leave it at that. These are the type of situations we are lucky to have Self. Fans want to know the skinny but he’s always protected his players even ones moving on.

Tshiebwe and Bacot are two other current examples of players maximizing NIL when they could be playing professionally.

• @BeddieKU23

If Tshiebwe or Bacot doesn’t win a national championship this year they wasted a valuable year of earning NBA money.

• @drgnslayr

Both have NIL deals worth as much or more then they would have made this yr not in college. Neither received a first round grade from what I recall. Tshiebwe may make over $1 million this yr alone. Tough call but seems like Great money to refine your skills another yr

• There are about 500 football guys in the portal already. At least half were about to be cut loose and aren’t valuable enough to be picked up.

• @BeddieKU23 said in Money... money.... money.....:

@drgnslayr

Both have NIL deals worth as much or more then they would have made this yr not in college. Neither received a first round grade from what I recall. Tshiebwe may make over $1 million this yr alone. Tough call but seems like Great money to refine your skills another yr

I believe Oscar is making over 2M this year. He and Bacot are both making more in college this year then they would have being a second round pick.

• @BeddieKU23

I’m seeing closer to $2 million NIL this year for Oscar. He doesn’t have NBA skills for the current style of play like the Zion and Aaron Gordon provide. His management company is probably providing good advice for his consideration.

• @Woodrow @Zabudda

Thanks for clarifying. I can’t see any marginal NBA guy turning down 2 million

• I’m already seeing NIL Collectives focus on player retention in addition to paying HS and transfers. Those that can sustain paying certain guys to return will benefit.

KU is benefitting from this now with Jalen Wilson. He didn’t come back for free. I see this being important for our fringe prospects when making decisions.

• @BeddieKU23 said in Money... money.... money.....:

Yes… I’ve seen that. Except if they turned pro and earned a decent contract it should be worth considerably more when you think of it in long-term projections. I feel like they get down the road for better NBA money quicker and that exceeds the current NIL money… though NIL continues to build steam!

I’m already seeing NIL Collectives focus on player retention in addition to paying HS and transfers. Those that can sustain paying certain guys to return will benefit.

Did I hear the truth? I heard some junior high players will start earning NIL.

• Are these numbers right? I had no idea we were this competitive:

On3.com, a fairly new sports analysis website started by Rivals.com founder Shannon Terry, has made tracking NIL a big part of its brand, and the site currently lists Dick with the 22nd highest NIL valuation in all of college basketball — $349,000.

KU junior Jalen Wilson, who has gotten off to a torrid start, ranks 10th on the list at $633,000. Dajuan Harris Jr. (28th at $242,000), MJ Rice (54th at $144,000) and Kevin McCullar Jr. (72nd at $112,000) are the other Jayhawks in the On3 Top 100.

• Also i am surprised that the 72nd highest valuation is only $112,000. Should i be?

• @approxinfinity said in Money... money.... money.....:

Are these numbers right? I had no idea we were this competitive:

On3.com, a fairly new sports analysis website started by Rivals.com founder Shannon Terry, has made tracking NIL a big part of its brand, and the site currently lists Dick with the 22nd highest NIL valuation in all of college basketball — $349,000.

KU junior Jalen Wilson, who has gotten off to a torrid start, ranks 10th on the list at $633,000. Dajuan Harris Jr. (28th at $242,000), MJ Rice (54th at $144,000) and Kevin McCullar Jr. (72nd at $112,000) are the other Jayhawks in the On3 Top 100.

I wish I was dumb rich- they would be, too.

• @Zabudda said in Money... money.... money.....:

There are about 500 football guys in the portal already. At least half were about to be cut loose and aren’t valuable enough to be picked up.

It’s over 1,000.

• @approxinfinity said in Money... money.... money.....:

Also i am surprised that the 72nd highest valuation is only $112,000. Should i be?

It’s possible you see that number being laughable down the road. More money is bound to be coming as this matures, that is as long as its the wild wild west.

• On3’s projections are just that, so take them with a hefty grain of salt. But KU is doing just fine in NIL.

• @FarmerJayhawk Are those valuation numbers the actual amount they are getting, or the perceived maximum they could get?

• @mayjay

I don’t know but I’m thinking it depends on what the NIL is for. If it’s something like an endorsement, it can probably be guaranteed. If it is images on tshirts (etc) it depends on sales. Just my opinion.

• @mayjay

From my understanding I think this is On3’s evaluation of the player’s value in the NIL market currently.

• @Jethro

Holy freaking cow!