Let’s talk duke

• Long, athletic (even if Whitehead doesn’t play), experienced pg in roach, big footers who can shoot the 3. They are going to give us all we can handle.

I hope we can use our speed and push things offensively because we won’t get near as many easy buckets as these first two games.

If we don’t shoot the ball well from deep and especially if Wilson is off we lose.

I’m curious to see how KJ does against this length along with Udeh. Does he catch as many lobs, does he get into foul trouble, can we board with them?

Does our defense translate and we force turnovers with scrappy hands like we’ve done? Do we continue to take care of the ball because our pg’s have been phenomenal. I remember all those years with tyshawn or ej and we’d turn it over all the time. With Juan and Bobby along with experience with Wilson and Kevin we don’t play stupid.

Prediction: Kansas 78 Duke 74

Oddly enough I think we win a close one or I think we lose by 8-10 - talk about a prediction straddling the fence.

If we start Juan and KJ expect to get down 10/12-2 by the 16:00 mark then Udeh and maybe Bobby check in and we claw our way back.

• @kuballin10 said in Let’s talk duke:

Long, athletic (even if Whitehead doesn’t play), experienced pg in roach, big footers who can shoot the 3. They are going to give us all we can handle.

I hope we can use our speed and push things offensively because we won’t get near as many easy buckets as these first two games.

If we don’t shoot the ball well from deep and especially if Wilson is off we lose.

I’m curious to see how KJ does against this length along with Udeh. Does he catch as many lobs, does he get into foul trouble, can we board with them?

Does our defense translate and we force turnovers with scrappy hands like we’ve done? Do we continue to take care of the ball because our pg’s have been phenomenal. I remember all those years with tyshawn or ej and we’d turn it over all the time. With Juan and Bobby along with experience with Wilson and Kevin we don’t play stupid.

Oddly enough I think we win a close one or I think we lose by 8-10 - talk about a prediction straddling the fence.

If we start Juan and KJ expect to get down 10/12-2 by the 16:00 mark then Udeh and maybe Bobby check in and we claw our way back.

@kuballin10 said in Let’s talk duke:

Long, athletic (even if Whitehead doesn’t play), experienced pg in roach, big footers who can shoot the 3. They are going to give us all we can handle.

Really not quite sure how your thinking with Juan w be down that many till Bobby checks in. I just stated in another post about this. - I love Bobby AND Juan both just not quite sure where your getting it from how Bobby would be that big of difference – let’s look , so here we are again :

Right now Juan 8.0 ppg - - -Bobby 7.5 - - Juan 2.5 rpg - - Bobby 0.5 rpg - - -Juan - -13-1 asst - to - turnover ratio - - Bobby 10-1 - -asst to turnover ratio - -Juan 3 steals - - Bobby 2 steals - - Blocks - -Harris 3 - -Bobby 0. -I just don’t see how Juan starting point over Bobby would cause us to be down that many. - -If anything it’s going to be because of our FIVE’S - -not our point guard… - -Again I don’t have any problem with Bobby starting at all – just the comment about with Juan starting in this game would cause the deficit - -don’t think so

• @jayballer67 it’s Juan and KJ two complete non threats to score.

Their defenders sag way off them clogging up lanes so we can’t drive and kick. Wilson will get his stuff blocked and Kevin can’t hit anything but a mid range jumper right now. Hopefully his shot gets going but with our starting lineup we have 2 scores, 2 guys who don’t look to score nor penetrate much and 1 guy who doesn’t even know there’s a basket at that end.

Bobby’s lobs to Udeh are created by pnr which are his main assists. He also gets into the paint when Juan doesn’t nearly as much.

You can quote assist numbers but Juan’s are passing it around the perimeter to Gradey or Wilson knocking down a three. You or I can do that.

Juan isn’t penetrating and dishing like Pettiford there is a drastic difference and against better teams we will see.

Juan also didn’t play for 10 minutes of the 2nd half of the title game. There is a reason for that. He mounted the defensive run and handed the reigns over. Will be similar this year most games with Bobby. Bobby is to Impactful to leave off the floor.

@jayballer67 it’s Juan and KJ two complete non threats to score.

Their defenders sag way off them clogging up lanes so we can’t drive and kick. Wilson will get his stuff blocked and Kevin can’t hit anything but a mid range jumper right now. Hopefully his shot gets going but with our starting lineup we have 2 scores, 2 guys who don’t look to score nor penetrate much and 1 guy who doesn’t even know there’s a basket at that end.

Bobby’s lobs to Udeh are created by pnr which are his main assists. He also gets into the paint when Juan doesn’t nearly as much.

You can quote assist numbers but Juan’s are passing it around the perimeter to Gradey or Wilson knocking down a three. You or I can do that.

Juan isn’t penetrating and dishing like Pettiford there is a drastic difference and against better teams we will see.

Juan also didn’t play for 10 minutes of the 2nd half of the title game. There is a reason for that. He mounted the defensive run and handed the reigns over. Will be similar this year most games with Bobby. Bobby is to Impactful to leave off the floor.

8 points is plenty for your point guards to score if the other players are holding up their end -you didn’t see Juans driving last night ? - -ok my bad. Him mounting the defensive run i that game is what caused the turn around so ya no reason why he shouldn’t have turned it over - . No big difference between him and Bobby either one works just fine. -your trying to argue tik for tat

• Our first real test, NDSU was extremely unathletic. I’ll be watching closely.

• @jayballer67 how many lobs did he throw? He drive and kick out for a trey?

Only assist I remember is when he ran in circles around the paint tip toed and hit Jalen who made that assist with a really athletic finish.

Juan doesn’t often drive the paint and dish.
    He had the and 1 as well but that’s all I can remember compared to Bobby it’s drastically different.

8 points for pg when paired with Kj won’t work

• Just guessing here, but I think we’ll be 4 to 5 point favorites.

• @Jethro said in Let’s talk duke:

Just guessing here, but I think we’ll be 4 to 5 point favorites.

I would be shocked if that is the spread. I would guess Duke -2 or 3

• Which would be interesting since are we technically ranked higher. I agree though I think Duke is better but not sure. Will be a great measuring point early in the season.

Bahamas is a good group of teams with TN, then Indiana at home and big 12 slate plus a great game on the road to UK testing us late.

All this to be said yet after the home collapse to UK last year I wrote us off….clearly I am so knowledgeable

• @Woodrow said in Let’s talk duke:

@Jethro said in Let’s talk duke:

Just guessing here, but I think we’ll be 4 to 5 point favorites.

I would be shocked if that is the spread. I would guess Duke -2 or 3

We’ll find out soon. Great to have you back, though. It’s nice to see people crawl out of the woodwork and post.

• I found this: NEUT # 5 Duke +0.75 0.527 Translated, it means this guy expects KU to win by 3/4 of a point, with a 52% level of accuracy. He picked KU to win last night’s game by…23. So, it could certainly be a pic em or a KU -1 to open. Of course, the betting public could move that line quick.

@jayballer67 how many lobs did he throw? He drive and kick out for a trey?

Only assist I remember is when he ran in circles around the paint tip toed and hit Jalen who made that assist with a really athletic finish.

Juan doesn’t often drive the paint and dish.
    He had the and 1 as well but that’s all I can remember compared to Bobby it’s drastically different.

8 points for pg when paired with Kj won’t work

lol yo screwed your self there cause you saying pg 8 & kj won’t work - -then 7.5 which is what Bobby has and KJ sure won’t work have a great day

• @jayballer67 the issue is KJ can’t score right - we agree there?

Juan isn’t a scorer either and he doesn’t drive half as often as Bobby does. We agree there?

Bobby scored 13 on 7 shots playing 17 minutes against Omaha

Juan scored 11 on 13 I repeat 13 shots that’s horribly inefficient and played 33 minutes

If you are comparing ppg without factoring in minutes per game and what you see with your eyes I can’t help you there

Just box score watching seems to be what you are doing with your ppg theory

There is a reason that Pettiford is higher on PER and we score easier even if it is Pettiford and Kj paired together.

Juan with Kj does not work offensively yet it seems to be our starting 5 so I expect some slow starts out of the gate

@jayballer67 the issue is KJ can’t score right - we agree there?

Juan isn’t a scorer either and he doesn’t drive half as often as Bobby does. We agree there?

Bobby scored 13 on 7 shots playing 17 minutes against Omaha

Juan scored 11 on 13 I repeat 13 shots that’s horribly inefficient and played 33 minutes

If you are comparing ppg without factoring in minutes per game and what you see with your eyes I can’t help you there

Just box score watching seems to be what you are doing with your ppg theory

There is a reason that Pettiford is higher on PER and we score easier even if it is Pettiford and Kj paired together.

Juan with Kj does not work offensively yet it seems to be our starting 5 so I expect some slow starts out of the gate

Did you NOT SEE where I said I’m fine with either one ? - did you not see that ? - -I still say and will continue to say that if you think Juan will be the reason we will be down to 1-2 then AGAIN you better look else where. - Or if you really wana go that route saying Bobby needs Juans minutes - nope , nope , nope—I’m gonna let it go - -like beating a dead horse , so I’ll stop now and call it a day go ahead and respond back ok , that way you’ll have the last response then we can move on

• Saw it but pointing out your flawed argument in ppg.

Juan WHEN paired with kj and WHEN Juan doesn’t look to score or drive then yes, that will be the reason we’d get blitzed by a team like Duke. That’s 2 players who provide nothing offensively besides passing it around the perimeter and if Kevin doesn’t look to drive and can’t shoot that makes 3.

You can play great defense but good O in basketball will win out. Kids can make shots with a hand in their face.

I think you’re taking my stance too far similar to how you actually thought people were seriously clamoring for Jank to take Juan’s minutes and completely missing no one on this board or who follows KU basketball would seriously mean that.

You’re fired up today though - keep it up we gonna need that energy for the dork devils

Saw it but pointing out your flawed argument in ppg.

Juan WHEN paired with kj and WHEN Juan doesn’t look to score or drive then yes, that will be the reason we’d get blitzed by a team like Duke. That’s 2 players who provide nothing offensively besides passing it around the perimeter and if Kevin doesn’t look to drive and can’t shoot that makes 3.

You can play great defense but good O in basketball will win out. Kids can make shots with a hand in their face.

I think you’re taking my stance too far similar to how you actually thought people were seriously clamoring for Jank to take Juan’s minutes and completely missing no one on this board or who follows KU basketball would seriously mean that.

You’re fired up today though - keep it up we gonna need that energy for the dork devils

ah geez - thanks I’m glad to know I’m fired up lmao - -I just thought I was going through menopause

• @jayballer67 you and me both!

• Juan will get that sweeping layup going on as the season progresses. He and Bobby will be fine.

• @Zabudda said in Let’s talk duke:

Juan will get that sweeping layup going on as the season progresses. He and Bobby will be fine.

That and say 35% from 3 and we are pushing for a final four. If he’s Nova Juan offensively we are loaded. If he’s last year- regular season Juan then I hope Bobby ends up playing more minutes or it’s a 50-50 split.

Either way it is really nice to watch a team take care of the ball. Hopefully this translates when the game speeds up against legit athletes starting Tuesday

• Line opens Duke -1.5

• The line is now KU -1.5.

• Zach officially OUT.

• He won’t get much run but Zuby as the third big is upon us! Hopefully he steps up and has a good game as I think kj and udeh get into foul trouble tonight!

Get boards, set solid screens without moving and run the floor big fella!

• @BShark injury?

• @Kcmatt7 said in Let’s talk duke:

@BShark injury?

He got elbowed in the nose the other day.

• No Whitehead for dook

• @FarmerJayhawk bummer wanted to play them at full strength

6-7 ridiculous athlete, can shoot it…would have been a tough defend for McCullars

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Let’s talk duke:

No Whitehead for dook

Significant defection for them. Still think we’d beat them with him

• No MJ Rice either. Sick.

• @FarmerJayhawk So, so far MJ Rice has had a back injury and is now sick? Or are you saying it’s “Sick” that he won’t play?

• @benshawks08 he’s legitimately ill and didn’t make the trip.

• @FarmerJayhawk Lotta flu, covid, respiratory stuff going around with the cold weather.

• Yup. Depth and foul problems are all the sudden a pretty big concern. Down to 9 scholarship players.

• What a tough break for MJ. Dude gets some time and scores it pretty well, then can’t even make the trip to the biggest event of the early basketball season.

• @FarmerJayhawk Not sure how big of a concern they really are. Zach and MJ were definitely at or near the bottom of the early rotations.

• Seems like we have enough flexible pieces to really weather some injuries here and there. Jalen and Grady are maybe the only two we really HAVE to have in my opinion just because no one else really offers the scoring/shooting punch they can. We are certainly better at full strength but not losing anyone to transfers and picking up some good recruits/transfers has us in a pretty decent spot depth wise.

• @benshawks08 said in Let’s talk duke:

Seems like we have enough flexible pieces to really weather some injuries here and there. Jalen and Grady are maybe the only two we really HAVE to have in my opinion just because no one else really offers the scoring/shooting punch they can. We are certainly better at full strength but not losing anyone to transfers and picking up some good recruits/transfers has us in a pretty decent spot depth wise.

Oops. I’d like to amend the above statement. I totally forgot we have Jank to come in and score the ball especially from three. Statistically our best player through two games so can’t count him out. He’s not injured, right?

• Ouch Rice would have been impactful tonight.

• @BeddieKU23 said in Let’s talk duke:

Ouch Rice would have been impactful tonight.

Both teams missing dudes damn.

• So Pettiford will see time tonight?

• @Gorilla72 said in Let’s talk duke:

So Pettiford will see time tonight?

Why wouldn’t he? He’s the clear back-up pg.

• @Gorilla72 A LOT I’d imagine. We have two backup smalls and two backup bigs.

• I wish I could have a positive feel about tonight like some others. I’m just afraid with their length & Size they are going to make shots tough getting off , for sure no easy buckets inside. Roach is an experienced enough he gonna be a pest on the outside.

They have been starting like 6"10 - - -7 foot - -and 6’10 I think , just afraid we going to get in some serious foul trouble - -question is how we matching up on the defensive end ? - -Some real mis matches. - as far as our offensive end a lot different playing this size then our first two contests – they gonna get multiple shots on the offensive end , and really if were not careful it could get kind of ugly in a hurry if our outside shots aren’t falling.

Maybe our experience shows. - - Harris – Wilson - - McCullars against their youth?- -we can only hope. -we already know our inside game is still very raw, defensively they can back off juan then it becomes 4-5- - -and if we get zero which is a possibility our inside just not proven raw - -then it becomes a 3-5 contest there is where ugly steps in. - -hope they prove me wrong, time to see what we are made of. - - with the people we short on top of everything else ? ? ? ?

• Damn- wish MJ and Zach were playing tonight. I wish Bill was coaching this game.

• In this first game, I have become a temp Spartans fan- go Sparty!

• ugh…Sparty sux…lol.

• @Jethro said in Let’s talk duke:

Damn- wish MJ and Zach were playing tonight. I wish Bill was coaching this game.

Ya your right there buddy , I think the Coaching is going or might hurt us here in this tight one

• Well I guess one way to look at things. I would say schedule so far pretty equal in strengths of opponents- -so if you get into stats things pretty even if not tilted to Ku a lil as far as that goes.

Duke Averaging 48 Rebs per game - - -KU is averaging 44.5 Rebs per game - - -KU averaging 23 assists per game --Duke averaging 17.5 assists per game- - -Duke averaging 10 Steals per game - - KU averaging 8 Steals per game . - - Duke average 12 turnovers per game - - -KU averaging 9 turnovers per game - - - KU shooting 50.4 % from the field - -Duke shooting 44.9 % from the field - - Duke shooting 64.9 three throws - -KU 52 % three throw - - -KU shooting 38 % from the 3 - - Duke shooting 34 % from the 3

So there you have it - -stats don’t lie lol I think a couple of things in KU favor - - shooting from the field - -KU asst quite a bot more - - And better from the 3 - - -we shall see how it plays out

• @jayballer67 said in Let’s talk duke:

I wish I could have a positive feel about tonight like some others. I’m just afraid with their length & Size they are going to make shots tough getting off , for sure no easy buckets inside. Roach is an experienced enough he gonna be a pest on the outside.

They have been starting like 6"10 - - -7 foot - -and 6’10 I think , just afraid we going to get in some serious foul trouble - -question is how we matching up on the defensive end ? - -Some real mis matches. - as far as our offensive end a lot different playing this size then our first two contests – they gonna get multiple shots on the offensive end , and really if were not careful it could get kind of ugly in a hurry if our outside shots aren’t falling.

Maybe our experience shows. - - Harris – Wilson - - McCullars against their youth?- -we can only hope. -we already know our inside game is still very raw, defensively they can back off juan then it becomes 4-5- - -and if we get zero which is a possibility our inside just not proven raw - -then it becomes a 3-5 contest there is where ugly steps in. - -hope they prove me wrong, time to see what we are made of. - - with the people we short on top of everything else ? ? ? ?

alt text

• @BShark

haha classic and hilarious