Reasons to believe in next year’s team

• alt text

• If CB does not return, who will be go to players next year, Grady, Wilson?

• @AsadZ said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

If CB does not return, who will be go to players next year, Grady, Wilson?

Not a Freshman, that’s for sure.

We’d get a guy from the portal if CB goes, so a lot would depend on that so I will reserve judgment. Jalen would be a huge factor though.

• @AsadZ no clue

• I think Jalen Wilsin leads the team in scoring in the 14-15 ppg range. I think we see three others averaging double figures and I think those other three in no particular order will be Zach Clemence, Gradey Dick, and Joseph Yesufu.

• I think Juan will be counted on for more points… not sure he is ready to average double figures.

I like Zach a lot, but don’t see him being a double figure scorer next year.

I think Jalen leads the team in scoring and, if necessary, will attempt to be a volume scorer around 20, though not sure he can do it.

Other players will have to step up but I think most of those “step ups” will not quite reach double figures.

If CB comes back it will be a huge help for our point totals. If he doesn’t, we will still have to recruit someone with the expectations of being a double figure scorer.

• @AsadZ Grady Wilson? We’re counting on this guy? (he’s a Sanford and Son character) 05f0bcd3-8cdf-490a-baec-3c4f090792da-image.png

• If we get Hunter we’ll be a stupid good defensive team. Scoring might be a challenge but they’ll scrape together enough offense to be a really, really good team.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

If we get Hunter we’ll be a stupid good defensive team. Scoring might be a challenge but they’ll scrape together enough offense to be a really, really good team.

“Hard to lose if the other team can’t get to 60” ~ Bill Self, probably

• Defense is gonna be SALTY

• One of my friends made a lil Harris video

https://twitter.com/productions_dre/status/1526338119615889409

• @BShark

This really shows how good this teams chemistry was.

• @Crimsonorblue22

Thanks for posting the clip on Juan.

Seeing a compilation like that reminds me how “silk” Juan’s shot is. Reminds me of the soft touch Jamaal Wilkes had.

We are going to need more points from Juan next year!

• @drgnslayr I’ve been of the opinion that he simply hasn’t LOOKED to score at KU yet. Not that he CAN’T score. His jumper is not great but not terrible, his floater game is ok, and he has the ability to convert some tough takes at the rim. He’s seemed to be able to get into the paint when he wants to. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility for him to take a significant step forward in the scoring department next year.

• We know one opponent for next season now. KU will host Seton Hall in the Big 12/Big East Challenge.

• @drgnslayr I was noticing the passing, the timing, looks like they have been playing together for years.

• We play Indiana also

• Harris is a good player. He does a lot of things well. A list:

1. Excellent on ball defender. Probably one of the best at KU on ball since Russell Robinson.
    2. Takes care of the basketball. He only has 83 turnovers in his entire KU career. He’s played in 70 games. His assist to turnover ratio is almost 3.
    3. Good passer. He’s not a flashy passer, but he makes the right pass to the right person at the right time. Can’t ever be mad about that.
    4. Good teammate overall.

His singular negative is that he is limited as a scorer. I worry that if he tries to score more, his efficiency will plunge (saw his FG% drop 6 points this year) as his volume goes up. We don’t want him to become a <39% FG guy. That borders on unplayable no matter how well he does other things, and Harris absolutely should have a role. Harris wasn’t a big scorer in high school or on the AAU circuit. That’s never been his game. He’s better as the fourth option that he is as the second. Harris will probably have some games next year where he scores 12-15 points (I think 15 would be a career high for him) but to expect that every night just isn’t practical.

It’s more likely Harris is outscored by both Rice and Dick than that he averages double figures. KU is probably a better team if he is outscored by Rice and Dick than if he averages double figures. I’d rather he put in an efficient 7 than force shots to get 10.

• @justanotherfan

I don’t view it like Juan should try to score X-amount per game. I just think he needs to look more often to score when it’s there.

There are other possibilities for his FG% dropping. Perhaps it is because he was often the “last option” for scoring and that meant he had the rock with only a few ticks left on the shot clock and had to force shots. I recall several times when he was put in that position this past year.

I hope Juan is busy this summer working on his trey shot. If he is able to improve slightly from the outside and if he becomes willing to take it to the hole more this coming year, he should be able to lift his numbers and improve on his efficiency.

Juan made several crucial shots in this past March run. I definitely think he should continue to develop his scoring and be willing to take more shots. I bet part of it has to do with confidence, too, and if he gains more confidence scoring it should show up on his stat percentages, too.

• @drgnslayr Juan is a starting PG on a Championship team. I hope he carries that swag.

• McCullar in the wings… I know many challenge him being good for us… but I’m totally on board with him coming here because by himself, and with Self coaching this team we will be an elite defending team next year. Now if we improve in post defense… wow!

• @drgnslayr said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

McCullar in the wings… I know many challenge him being good for us… but I’m totally on board with him coming here because by himself, and with Self coaching this team we will be an elite defending team next year. Now if we improve in post defense… wow!

It would be hard to be worse in post defense. Last year was Self’s 2nd or 3rd worst team in that regard. But more importantly…his best trey ball defending team.

I understand why Bill wanted a wing capable of defending. McCullar is a home run, glad we didn’t settle on lesser options. Dexter Dennis ended up at Texas A&M. These transfer rankings are not an exact science but…

McCullar #3, Mosley #15, Council #148, Dennis #191. I think those are all the wings that reached out to us or we reached out to. I have some great extra stuff about McCullar, waiting for the secret board @approxinfinity 😉

• @BShark said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

@drgnslayr said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

McCullar in the wings… I know many challenge him being good for us… but I’m totally on board with him coming here because by himself, and with Self coaching this team we will be an elite defending team next year. Now if we improve in post defense… wow!

It would be hard to be worse in post defense. Last year was Self’s 2nd or 3rd worst team in that regard. But more importantly…his best trey ball defending team.

I understand why Bill wanted a wing capable of defending. McCullar is a home run, glad we didn’t settle on lesser options. Dexter Dennis ended up at Texas A&M. These transfer rankings are not an exact science but…

McCullar #3, Mosley #15, Council #148, Dennis #191. I think those are all the wings that reached out to us or we reached out to. I have some great extra stuff about McCullar, waiting for the secret board @approxinfinity 😉

Council to Arkansas - just saw that. Holy smokes that Arkansas roster is something else. Musselman has it going on.

• @Kcmatt7 I feel like Bill would have worked the portal hard if we had more spots.

• Next season’s team will be something.

I like Harris, but I liked him as the 6th scoring option. He will undoubtedly need to be more of a scorer this season. I think he has more to give in the paint, but I’m afraid we saw his best shooting from 3pt range already. He’s a comfortable choice at PG, but he was playing next to three All-Big 12 caliber players.

Who starts at the 2 will be interesting to see. McCullar could theoretically play here if we went big (would be my choice), but something about Bobby just screams he’s going to find a way in the lineup. I wish I could see Yesufu in this spot, but I just don’t see him making a leap past Bobby just based on things we’ve heard. I think he is a better player than Bobby though, so to me it is sad to see. I’m honestly pretty low on Bobby after what I saw last season. I know he looked okay when healthy, but that jumper is broke. I hate the idea of him playing next to Harris for long stretches.

The 3 - if we go big and play McCullar at the 2 it will be because Dick or Rice force Bill to. It would be very encouraging. But I doubt that is what happens. McCullar starts here and we may legitimately be playing Harris/Bobby/McCullar next to each other in what would undoubtedly be the worst 3pt shooting back court Bill has ever rolled the ball out with. I mean, undoubtedly.

The 4- Jalen on lock. I think this is the year the game moves in slow motion for him. Much like it did for Och this past season. Already from that G-league tape you saw his catch and shoot prep was worked on this last month. I fully expect him to be 18ppg and pretty much unstoppable. This is his “rafters” season. My pick for B12 POY and should be on Naismith watch lists early.

Center might be the position I’m ultimately most concerned with. Zach has shown a nose for the ball. Clearly able to shoot it from deep. Has the potential to be the 2nd most dangerous weapon on the team. But that is a lot of pressure on the sophomore who, in my opinion, lacks athleticism to dominate at this level. He won’t be a presence in the paint on either end. Decent rebounder. Smart guy. But I do not have the confidence he is the answer. Behind him are two freshman with the complete opposite problems. They will be raw. Athletic. A presence in the paint. BUT they don’t come with IQ. They will probably struggle not to foul. If I were betting right now, Zach starts, but a chance Udeh ends up getting 20+ minutes of run by the end of the season.

The bench is probably the strongest part of the team. The depth is unreal. You’ll have a 5* freshman wing no matter what. Probably two. You’ll have Yesufu in his 2nd year in the system. You’ll have two freshman big men with size and physicality. You’ll have KJ for situational substitutions at the very least. Essentially we are 2 deep at every position again. A little young, but there are options for Bill to ride the hot hand.

I have to admit, I’m not in love with our projected starting lineup if it doesn’t include one of the freshman. And even with one of them, I have my concerns. We are unathletic. This is a below the rim starting lineup if it is Harris/Bobby/McCullar/Wilson/Clemence. Which is a HUGE contrast from a year ago. CB lead the team in blocks I think (lol). Ochai is a freak athletically. And those two absolutely dominated in transition. UK just absolutely out-athleted us a year ago WITH two NBA wings. I think you’ll see more of that this year, but from teams we should beat.

Not only that, but the lineup above is a TERRIBLE shooting lineup. Just awful. Nothing really nice to say about it. McCullar has had enough attempts (idc whatever his catch and shoot was) to show he is at best a barely over .300 3pt shooter. Harris is a low volume guy. Bobby missed all 3 of his attempts last season, and I can’t recall one hitting the rim. Jalen is adequate, but without taking a step forward he isn’t a “good” shooter. Clemence is the best of them, and he’ll spend half of his time in the post. It just isn’t good.

I just feel like we lost some of what made us good a year ago. We are going to try to defend everyone to death, when last year we RAN everyone to death. We ran teams out of the building. It won us the KSU, Miami and NC game. That ability to score 15 in a blink won those games. The FF run with DG/Svi/Malik/Vick/Doke RAN in transition.

Finally, the biggest thing this team probably lacks is a playmaker guard. No Remy. No DG. No Frank. No Tyshawn. No Sherron. A bunch of JAGs. Not a single one of the guards is the type of guy you want the ball to be in their hands late.

So, for the first time in a long time, I just am not very excited with what I think we will be rolling out there next season. Can’t help it.

On the the flip side, this team could be an elite defense. Could still theoretically be a good team on the break. If McCullar, JWill and Clemence all take big steps forward that could be a very dangerous trio. I’m not here to say all is lost. I just would have preferred to stay athletic and offensive. And it feels like Bill gravitated back towards his comfort zone of defense and “coach’s pet” type of guys.

Obviously I don’t have all of the insight. I don’t know how good players looked at the end of the season behind closed doors. But I just don’t love the roster makeup. It is going to be older unathletic players blocking younger athletic players all season long. I think the offense is going to struggle because defenses will be able to pack the lane. And I think the transition offense we saw a year ago will be a shell of itself without CB and Och.

I think it is going to be a rock fight season. There will be several games where it is a race to 60. I’d never bet against Bill winning the B12, but this roster just did not end up where I thought it would.

• @Kcmatt7 There is a bit of frustration with two of his best offensive teams (18 and 22) that were simply okay on defense overperforming in the tournament while Bill can be perceived to still not value offense enough…

Next year will be very interesting for sure. The depth but no true stand outs (Jalen aside) will lead to RABID message board and twitter banter…

• @Kcmatt7

I think you need to slow down a bit. First. We still stand a great chance of getting JWIL back.

This team has the chance to be an outstanding defensive team… and if that be the case, how much offense can we expect to get from runouts? Runouts is more than scoring at the rim, that includes secondary breaks on the trey line, which may be the ticket to lifting everyone’s trey stat numbers.

We can examine this until we are blue in the face but we just won’t know how this team will play together and what it will do on offense. Players often move their stat numbers from year-to-year.

There just wasn’t much on the stat line from this year’s team signaling a NC.

What glares at me… is not our roster. What glares at me is the question:

Has Self finally figured out what it takes to get his team to peak in March (April)? If the answer is “yes” we can hope to see better March results in general moving forward. I don’t know about you… but I experienced a very different Bill Self this year in March. A lot more poised… I hope it was his poise that rubbed off on the team and not just the other way around! ha

• @Kcmatt7

Maybe you have an answer here… is there a stat site that can show our team this past year and a breakdown of how they scored their points on the 30-second clock? I’d love to see this stat.

• @BShark Video of a Bill Self crutch if I’ve ever seen one. I’m having Marcus Garrett flashbacks.

@Kcmatt7

I think you need to slow down a bit. First. We still stand a great chance of getting JWIL back.

This team has the chance to be an outstanding defensive team… and if that be the case, how much offense can we expect to get from runouts? Runouts is more than scoring at the rim, that includes secondary breaks on the trey line, which may be the ticket to lifting everyone’s trey stat numbers.

We can examine this until we are blue in the face but we just won’t know how this team will play together and what it will do on offense. Players often move their stat numbers from year-to-year.

There just wasn’t much on the stat line from this year’s team signaling a NC.

What glares at me… is not our roster. What glares at me is the question:

Has Self finally figured out what it takes to get his team to peak in March (April)? If the answer is “yes” we can hope to see better March results in general moving forward. I don’t know about you… but I experienced a very different Bill Self this year in March. A lot more poised… I hope it was his poise that rubbed off on the team and not just the other way around! ha

But the reverse it true as well right?

If you can’t score yourself then you are giving up those same breaks. And this team on paper looks like they cannot score.

Besides J-Will, where are the points coming from?

@Kcmatt7

Maybe you have an answer here… is there a stat site that can show our team this past year and a breakdown of how they scored their points on the 30-second clock? I’d love to see this stat.

I don’t. But eye test told me we did most of our damage in transition. CB and Och finished very well on the break this season too. But both of them I would consider to be + athletes.

• @Kcmatt7 said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

But the reverse it true as well right? If you can’t score yourself then you are giving up those same breaks. And this team on paper looks like they cannot score. Besides J-Will, where are the points coming from?

I hope we can be a better rebounding team this coming year… that would help some of that.

I have the same concerns you have on where our points come from. But I think if we have a team that is well-oiled in other areas: rebounding on both sides, defense, low TOs, good assist passing… we will produce decent offense. Will it match this past year? Doubtful we have those offensive weapons, but we have a chance to be a much better defensive team.

I think we should tamper our expectations to have a team offense as capable as this year’s team. Very unlikely. Even if we go after a good offensive player in the portal, will that be enough? And isn’t it always a risk that player doesn’t work out on offense? When push comes to shove… grabbing a player from the portal… I’d rather grab a known defender because that is more predictable. McCullar gives us a tough, physical player, easily capable of guarding 2-4.

• @Kcmatt7 said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

@BShark Video of a Bill Self crutch if I’ve ever seen one. I’m having Marcus Garrett flashbacks.

Garret was fine when he wasn’t miscast at PG.

• Not only that, but the lineup above is a TERRIBLE shooting lineup. Just awful. Nothing really nice to say about it. McCullar has had enough attempts (idc whatever his catch and shoot was) to show he is at best a barely over .300 3pt shooter. Harris is a low volume guy. Bobby missed all 3 of his attempts last season, and I can’t recall one hitting the rim. Jalen is adequate, but without taking a step forward he isn’t a “good” shooter. Clemence is the best of them, and he’ll spend half of his time in the post. It just isn’t good.

Shooting? Who said shooting? 🙂

Well said, KCM.

This team as it currently is (I’m assuming it won’t have Wilson) will have no choice but to depend on freshmen for some scoring. Not a good recipe, but hopefully Rice can at least drive and score.

And Self, it would seem, will have no choice but to let Yesu loose.

It won’t be a pretty team to watch, that’s for sure,

• @rockchalkjayhawk You took the words out my brain. Somebody gotta put the ball ina basketball and it won’t be Juan. Juan is lockdown and a elite decision maker. The Jalen and the 2 Freshman will have to give us the Wing scoring.

• @NormRoberts said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

@rockchalkjayhawk You took the words out my brain. Somebody gotta put the ball ina basketball and it won’t be Juan. Juan is lockdown and a elite decision maker. The Jalen and the 2 Freshman will have to give us the Wing scoring.

Yup, but if Jalen stays in the draft…even more so, right?

• Some of you are acting like McCullers is a sure thing to be in Lawrence next season. Why are you so confident?

• @wissox said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

Some of you are acting like McCullers is a sure thing to be in Lawrence next season. Why are you so confident?

McCullar*

Bill wouldn’t have him announce without a promise to play here. See: Malik Newman and Remy Martin. I would be very shocked if he doesn’t end up in Lawrence for a year.

• @rockchalkjayhawk Jalen isn’t looking to great, don’t count on him being a better shooter. He needs to put in time. CB kinda shaky in scrimmage too. Anybody else watch?

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

@rockchalkjayhawk Jalen isn’t looking to great, don’t count on him being a better shooter. He needs to put in time. CB kinda shaky in scrimmage too. Anybody else watch?

Jalen has looked much worse against better competition.

• CB just hit big 3

• @wissox

Bill is foaming at the mouth to have a more physical version of Marcus Garrett on this team.

I agree with the fear that we won’t have enough offense… but if picking up one guy… at least McCullar should help us obtain an elite defense. Acquiring a scorer would be helpful but not going to replace Och, CB, and JWil’s offense. As it stands, I don’t think we have an elite defense. So we don’t take McCullar we won’t have elite play on either side of the ball.

• I think there’s a decent chance we’re not done in the portal. I know they’d make a spot for Hunter if he wanted to commit.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

I think there’s a decent chance we’re not done in the portal. I know they’d make a spot for Hunter if he wanted to commit.

Bill wants a starting 2guard.

@FarmerJayhawk said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

I think there’s a decent chance we’re not done in the portal. I know they’d make a spot for Hunter if he wanted to commit.

Bill wants a starting 2guard.

Yeah, if no Hunter I wonder if they’d look at Grant Sherfield. Put up gaudy stats at Nevada

• @FarmerJayhawk Might have burned bridges there last I heard. What I do know is if Self wants to fill a spot he’s gonna do it. Definitely something to monitor.

@Crimsonorblue22 said in Reasons to believe in next year’s team:

@rockchalkjayhawk Jalen isn’t looking to great, don’t count on him being a better shooter. He needs to put in time. CB kinda shaky in scrimmage too. Anybody else watch?

Jalen has looked much worse against better competition.

Didn’t light it up today in the big boy camp? how’d he do?