Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer)

• The question now is how is the rotation going to work. If Bill plays 2 PGs a lot, then Braun and Thompson are fighting for a spot in the rotation I think…

I am starting to wonder if there is one more domino to fall… (Besides Jossell). Feels like the backcourt is about one player too crowded unless Pettiford isn’t gong to get much run.

• @Kcmatt7 I will say that Harris is the first player I can remember in awhile where Bill just keeps beating the drum that he needs to get stronger and add some weight. We might see Harris take a bit of a back seat.

I want to see CB find the bench.

• Competition!

But seriously having 3-4 guards is a great thing, we just saw Baylor win the championship on guard play. I hope we never see another year lacking playmakers at the guard position like we just saw this season. However the cards fall I think we are seeing Self pushing to correct some mistakes

• @BShark Yea I’m hoping for more of like a 15-18 mpg role for CB next season…

• Great news!

• @BShark said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

@Kcmatt7 I will say that Harris is the first player I can remember in awhile where Bill just keeps beating the drum that he needs to get stronger and add some weight. We might see Harris take a bit of a back seat.

Not sure why Harris would take a back seat before some other players. His numbers were a lot better than Bryce Thompson’s last season, and he was a large reason why Kansas didn’t go out in the first round of the tournament.

• @KirkIsMyHinrich Harris is frail, not sure he can handle big minutes night in and night out.

• He handled 35 minutes against Eastern Washington pretty well.

• Tough to know who to play until we see the type of offseason everyone has I think. Because if Bryce has the type of offseason I’m hoping he is going to need 25 mpg.

And Yesfufu is going to eat minutes. And Ochai can be penciled in for 30 mpg. Reality is that KU IS BACK BABY. Nice to have guys that won’t even see the court who would start at 90% of other schools again. Feels like it has been a while since that was the case.

• @Kcmatt7 said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

Tough to know who to play until we see the type of offseason everyone has I think. Because if Bryce has the type of offseason I’m hoping he is going to need 25 mpg.

And Yesfufu is going to eat minutes. And Ochai can be penciled in for 30 mpg. Reality is that KU IS BACK BABY. Nice to have guys that won’t even see the court who would start at 90% of other schools again. Feels like it has been a while since that was the case.

Dollar Bill is BACK.

• I just want it to be an open competition with no starting spots guaranteed to anyone (see: Quentin Grimes). I understand it’s hard to land elite prospects like TyTy without promising them a starting spot, but I really hate that shit. Everyone has things they need to work on and get better at and this should hopefully be a normal(ish) offseason where players have a chance to work on those things.

It’ll be nice to have a bench next season.

• @KirkIsMyHinrich said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

Very cool. I suppose this means TyTy is going to the G League?

ya just thinking - - well so much for TY TY - - - -this coming years roster going to look - - sooooo different

• @jayballer67 said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

@KirkIsMyHinrich said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

ya just thinking - - well so much for TY TY - - - -this coming years roster going to look - - sooooo different

Apparently TyTy is still in play. It makes me wonder about players other than Jossell (like Ochai) potentially leaving.

• Tyty very much in play.

@jayballer67 said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

@KirkIsMyHinrich said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

Apparently TyTy is still in play. It makes me wonder about players other than Jossell (like Ochai) potentially leaving.

Mercy , totally lost on this process for this season - - so many new faces. Guess Coach was 10000 % for sure when there was going to be changes hu ? - almost new face lift. Who would of thought even a month or so ago that the way this roster is shaping up now - - who would of ever thought this would be the case like this

• @BeddieKU23 said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

Wired to score, exactly what the backcourt needed. And if you get the replay of the Wichita ST dunk HELLO

HELLO indeed - -mercy. Yet unless Jossell picks it up and transfers out then once again no more Scholi’s - - Hate the thought of Ochai leaving - -one of few that we DID have that was athletic. - But now I can’t say that - -that is not going to happen. - -Just can’t see anyway he is ready for the NBA - -even G league at this current moment

@BShark said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

@Kcmatt7 I will say that Harris is the first player I can remember in awhile where Bill just keeps beating the drum that he needs to get stronger and add some weight. We might see Harris take a bit of a back seat.

Not sure why Harris would take a back seat before some other players. His numbers were a lot better than Bryce Thompson’s last season, and he was a large reason why Kansas didn’t go out in the first round of the tournament.

makes me wonder really , the way things are turning out IF Bryce sticks around , especially if he see’s limited minutes early next season. Really struggled actually - -I have to say now NEVER SAY NEVER

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

Tyty very much in play.

you think he is guy? - -makes me hesitant in thinking that , just not feeling it now with this addition - -mercy gonna be some competition for sure.

So with all these new additions - -when will these guys become official? put the name to the Ink? - Some have mentioned Curry maybe a no show - - I kind of think he still shows - -after his tweet about this commit, think he is still coming

• Just thinking. Anyone willing to place odds that this team coming up next Season is going to be a team that just flat out gets out and goes - - very fast transaction from defense ot offense - -get’s it and just flat goes? - -going to be interesting to see what kind of pace we use - - I think we run & run some more. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• A lot of Bryce’s issues this season stemmed from his injuries. The light was starting to come on for him towards the end of the season after he came back the second time and probably would’ve turned on sooner had he not been injured. I’d be very surprised if Thompson wasn’t the starting 2 next season.

Having Coach Ramsey actually be able to do an off-season program with these guys is going to be huge. Harris adding strength this off-season probably won’t be an issue barring an injury and in the fall he and Yesufu should have a really nice battle for the starting PG spot. There’s no reason Harris, Thompson, and Yesufu shouldn’t play basically all of the 80 available minutes at the 1 and 2 spots next season.

Part of what Scott Drew has done is redshirt everyone possible and with the depth KU has, there’s really not a reason not to redshirt Pettiford next season unless he comes in and is clearly the best option at the PG spot which I don’t think he will be. This is what makes a lot of Baylor’s players good defenders is spending a season guarding players better than themselves.

Here’s what I’m seeing as the rotation next season.

Harris/Yesufu at the point and redshirt Pettiford. Jossell if he’s still here gets spot minutes mostly in end game blowouts.

Thompson/Yesufu at the 2 since Yesufu can play off the ball.

Agbaji/Braun at the 3 spot. If Braun gets his 3 ball back, then you can work him at the 2 some as well.

Wilson/Clemence at the 4 spot and I’d personally redshirt KJ.

McCormack/Martin at the 5 spot. With Martin’s outside shooting, I could also see him playing some 4 and getting a little high-low going with Dave as well. Mitch would likely get some minutes when Self needs a little more quickness at the 5 spot. I’d redshirt Curry so he can focus on slimming down some.

@FarmerJayhawk said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

Tyty very much in play.

you think he is guy? - -makes me hesitant in thinking that , just not feeling it now with this addition - -mercy gonna be some competition for sure.

So with all these new additions - -when will these guys become official? put the name to the Ink? - Some have mentioned Curry maybe a no show - - I kind of think he still shows - -after his tweet about this commit, think he is still coming

I don’t think Curry was ever pitched on being an immediate impact guy. I think he was likely pitched as having a much larger role in a year or two and still having 2-3 years to play as a starter or rotation guy. You don’t run off someone who’s built like Zion and has a lot of potential.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

Tyty very much in play.

I don’t think Curry was ever pitched on being an immediate impact guy. I think he was likely pitched as having a much larger role in a year or two and still having 2-3 years to play as a starter or rotation guy. You don’t run off someone who’s built like Zion and has a lot of potential.

ya I didn’t think is an impact guy either just a role player. might be a guy to possibly redshirt

@Texas-Hawk-10 said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

Tyty very much in play.

ya I didn’t think is an impact guy either just a role player. might be a guy to possibly redshirt

He can be an impact guy, but it won’t be in 2021-22. His biggest obstacle is that he doesn’t have much quickness which is mostly from him being overweight. He has a naturally thick body type, but he’s still about 20-25 lbs. overweight right now. He’s the biggest reason Gethro moved on because his ceiling is much higher than Gethro’s is.

• It is considered VERY bad form to ask someone to decommit this late in the game.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

Tyty very much in play.

He can be an impact guy, but it won’t be in 2021-22. His biggest obstacle is that he doesn’t have much quickness which is mostly from him being overweight. He has a naturally thick body type, but he’s still about 20-25 lbs. overweight right now. He’s the biggest reason Gethro moved on because his ceiling is much higher than Gethro’s is.

now not comparing athlete wise or height or any of that BUT would you compare his being over weight wise is comparable to possibly Doke’s over weight wise cause Doke was overweight when he came in but worked hard and transferred into a brick - think curry is about the same degree oveweight. - I think Doke was somewhere about the same but difference night and day in the end

• Hey all, my first time posting! Been reading these comments so long I feel like I know you guys.

• @Oldmanhawk said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

Hey all, my first time posting! Been reading these comments so long I feel like I know you guys.

Welcome you can see it all hear it all in here. - -lot’s of good topics wisdom. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @Oldmanhawk

Welcome!

Tyty very much in play.

now not comparing athlete wise or height or any of that BUT would you compare his being over weight wise is comparable to possibly Doke’s over weight wise cause Doke was overweight when he came in but worked hard and transferred into a brick - think curry is about the same degree oveweight. - I think Doke was somewhere about the same but difference night and day in the end

Pretty much. Curry getting in shape should have a pretty big impact on his overall game.

• @jayballer67 Dave lost 40 to 50 pounds in his first year at Oak Hill high school. Doke lost 60, I think after arriving at KU. Both pretty much transformed their bodies.

This whole discussion takes me back to the best nickname for a “sizeable” guy ever:

Charles Barkley, The Round Mound of Rebound

I still chuckle!

• @mayjay Dave came to KU at around 290 according to 247 and is currently listed at 250 on KU’s site so he’s dropped 40 more pounds since he arrived here.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Or possibly gained a bunch back during high school!

• @mayjay said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

@Texas-Hawk-10 Or possibly gained a bunch back during high school!

I believe Dave has said he was around 350 lbs. when he started getting serious about getting in shape so he’s dropped close to 100 lbs. total.

• @jayballer67 Did Bryce seem 5 Star to anyone? Even before the injuries was failing the eye test.

• @Fightsongwriter said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

@jayballer67 Did Bryce seem 5 Star to anyone? Even before the injuries was failing the eye test.

The good news is unlike Grimes he is a hard worker with his head on right. Helps that dad is in our corner too instead of actively against Self lol.

• The lack of summer and fall workouts killed our young guys. Enaruna never saw a gym and was really late getting here because of travel restrictions. Bryce had trouble adjusting, no doubt.

• @BShark Agreed

• @Oldmanhawk Thanks for dropping in! Let us know if we have said anything really outrageous. Someone has got to call us out.

@jayballer67 Did Bryce seem 5 Star to anyone? Even before the injuries was failing the eye test.

Yes, low end 5 star players, which Bryce was, usually have an adjustment period and aren’t always instant impact players and can take half a season or so to fully adjust. Bryce was definitely figuring things out at the end of the season and playing much better. Without those injuries, the light probably comes on for him in early February.

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

The lack of summer and fall workouts killed our young guys. Enaruna never saw a gym and was really late getting here because of travel restrictions. Bryce had trouble adjusting, no doubt.

Yeah, it’s already tough for FR then all the extra crap.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Agree he was playing better but compared to Suggs or Cade, for a 5 he seemed an awful lot like a 3.

@Texas-Hawk-10 Agree he was playing better but compared to Suggs or Cade, for a 5 he seemed an awful lot like a 3.

Yeah there is a big difference between guys that should be playing in the NBA and lower end 5*s.

• @Fightsongwriter Suggs was also a great fb player so a lot tougher. Wonder if Cade got some free time cause of his brother? They are ahead of him.

• Cade is a transcendent talent he will not only last in the NBA but he should be a star in all honesty.

• @BShark said in Yesufu to KU (Drake PG Transfer):

Cade is a transcendent talent he will not only last in the NBA but he should be a star in all honesty.

I mean, he is 6’8” with a 7’2” wing span

@Texas-Hawk-10 Agree he was playing better but compared to Suggs or Cade, for a 5 he seemed an awful lot like a 3.

There’s a very big difference in talent level between guys like Cunningham and Suggs and someone like Bryce Thompson.

Most basketball recruiting classes have somewhere between 25-30 players rated as a 5 star recruit.

Top 10ish players who are generally considered OAD players are high end 5 star players. The 10-20 ranked kids are mid-level 5 star kids that have OAD potential, but not surefire OAD kids. 20 and lower are the low end 5 star kids that are considered to have an NBA future, but need more than 1 season to reach that level.

To out it in KU terms, guys Josh Jackson and Andrew Wiggins were on the same level as Cunningham. Guys that’s would’ve been top 10 lottery picks straight out of high school. Xavier Henry and Kelly Oubre are comparable to Suggs in talent level. Guys that are OAD caliber, but maybe not top 5 draft pick good.

Bryce Thompson is ranked in the same general range as Devon Dotson and Elijah Johnson. Those guys were 5 star players, but never considered OAD. Those were guys that needed time for the light to come on and Bryce was no different.

might of been a case of just fighting himself to much - -causing additional struggles - -hopefully is better next eyar