2021 Transfer Talk/List

• @jayhawks2010 said in 2021 Transfer Talk/List:

He’s still a central part to this team going forward. He has great upside still. I’m not writing him off bc of a sub par end to the season. Svi was like that a lot his sophomore year. Look at guys like grimes etc. you have to let some guys grow. Braun is a perfect 4 year guy. Braun is not a nba guy. He’s a perfect role player. And there’s no one out there we are landing that’s better. This team lacked a PG, bench scorer, and an elite center

I’m not writing him off PERIOD that’s is why I said he IS NOT going anywhere - -with that sub par season - - where would he go ?

• @jayhawks2010 I meant we don’t have room for 2 guys, do we?

• @BShark said in 2021 Transfer Talk/List:

I would imagine Bill is going back to playing 2 bigs all the time with these moves. Zach needs a RS year imo, not sure Adams moves the needle. Taking some bridge guys does make sense if you want to be moving back to two bigs.

I will, however, be surprised if Bill doesn’t add 2 PGs, he has already added one. Whether the second is TyTy or a transfer I do not know. TyTy would be my first preference after watching Geico Nationals but the Yesufu kid is nice.

Self’s not going back to a traditional two big line up. The 4 spot for the better part of the last 12 seasons has been manned by a stretch 4. Thomas Robinson is the primary exception along with Dedric Lawson for half a season. KU will have 2 guys who fit that mold of a stretch 4 play almost all of the minutes at that position next season in Jalen Wilson and Zach Clemence. Clemence doesn’t need a redshirt year because it wouldn’t do him much good. He’s a 4 and if Self tries playing him at the 5 spot in a regular line up, it will be an absolute disaster. Clemence can play the 5 in a small ball line up, but his game is not a 5’s game.

The 5 spot next year is going to be crowded, but I think taking Cam Martin is a clear sign the staff plans on redshirting Sydney Curry next season so he can focus on slimming down so he’s quick enough to guard post players when he enters the rotation in 2022-23.

• Ochai would be going pro, not transferring. I would rather he be back as long as Bill isn’t going to keep starting a wing at the 2.

• Cole Swider to Cuse

• @jayhawks2010 just go watch Clemence tape. He isn’t ready for this level yet IMO either.

He’s slow and he’s build like a slim Jim.

Bishop is long and athletic and he scores at a 70% clip without trying to do too much. Great bench piece.

• If he doesn’t plan to be around 5 years I would say redshirting doesn’t make sense. We don’t often have redshirt guys under Self as we know. So he could just as easily not redshirt but hardly get off the bench.

We don’t know what players are going to do though. No one would have expected Drew Timme to be THIS good. Sometimes players surprise.

• I think Zach plays. How much will be determined if hes going to play the 4 which looks like he might be long term. Plays hard, and isn’t as soft or not prepared as you think. Well coached, skilled and can really shoot it from 3. Of course he needs to hit the weight room but to waste a year sitting on the bench won’t do anything for him either. Very excited to see what he does here. Remember this guy bleeds KU

• @BeddieKU23 I think he will be great here.

But I think he will need at least a year in the program first. He can absolutely shoot it. But he is pretty below the rim guy and his post game leaves something to be desired for a Bill Self guy.

If you watch his tape next to Matthew Hurt HS tape I think you can sort of see the gap between similar players.

• There is a reason we have Curry, Martin and Bishop (probably) coming in. If Bill felt good about even one of the freshman bigs I don’t think we would see us scooping up this many post players.

• @Kcmatt7

Good points. I’ve watched all of his games this week and several others this year and he is solid defensively, walls up and makes it hard for guys to score over him and he’s playing d1 kids left and right. I’m not expecting he starts here year 1 but man he does strike me as a player who might take to the program quicker then we expect. Self has to find a way to get that guy a 3 or 2 a game until all of his game comes around. Guess I’m higher on him then some but its never an exact science. I thought Grimes was the bees knees, yikes

• @BeddieKU23 yea I just haven’t seen a big man play well year 1 under Self except maybe Embiid. Perry and Cliff were coming on late. Bragg showed some potential (obviously that changed). Aldrich probably would have but he was stuck behind 4 studs. Morris brothers were okay early.

So it definitely isn’t unprecedented that Zach could come in and contribute… I just have heard some guys who think he is coming in and starting and I think he’s a ways off from that.

You are probably right that he gets a little run at the very least.

On the bright side, I think any PT he gets he will have earned. So if he’s getting run it isn’t because we don’t have another option.

• @Kcmatt7

Agree 100%. No chance he starts besides injuries

• If Clemence plays, he’ll probably be in that 8-10 minute range that first-year big men often are with Self. It would upset me if Lightfoot was getting minutes ahead of him. If we land another big (like Bishop) I think he might redshirt.

• So could someone enlighten me on who this Bishop is that people seem to be talking more and more about. I don’t know who he is - - where is he from – how tall/position does he play - - how many yeas of eligibilty does he have - -and is there mutual interest - someone help me please. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @KirkIsMyHinrich said in 2021 Transfer Talk/List:

If Clemence plays, he’ll probably be in that 8-10 minute range that first-year big men often are with Self. It would upset me if Lightfoot was getting minutes ahead of him. If we land another big (like Bishop) I think he might redshirt.

Clemence and Lightfoot do not play the same position and will have zero impact on each other’s minutes.

Zach Clemence is going to be backing up Jalen Wilson this year at the 4 spot. The only scenario Clemence plays the 5 is a small ball line up with 5 shooters on the floor.

Cam Martin and Sydney Curry are the two guys looking to take Mitch’s minutes next season with Cam Martin being the most likely at this point and Curry likely taking a redshirt to slim down and improve his quickness to eventually take over that spot when Dave leaves.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in 2021 Transfer Talk/List:

@KirkIsMyHinrich said in 2021 Transfer Talk/List:

If Clemence plays, he’ll probably be in that 8-10 minute range that first-year big men often are with Self. It would upset me if Lightfoot was getting minutes ahead of him. If we land another big (like Bishop) I think he might redshirt.

Clemence and Lightfoot do not play the same position and will have zero impact on each other’s minutes.

Zach Clemence is going to be backing up Jalen Wilson this year at the 4 spot. The only scenario Clemence plays the 5 is a small ball line up with 5 shooters on the floor.

Cam Martin and Sydney Curry are the two guys looking to take Mitch’s minutes next season with Cam Martin being the most likely at this point and Curry likely taking a redshirt to slim down and improve his quickness to eventually take over that spot when Dave leaves.

Thank you for educating me, coach.

• Holy Crap he is a 65 % career fg shooter? – -- -where is he shooting from lol 3 footers?- - crazy good. - - can’t shoot FT with a plug nickel but ya - -so is he showing any interest in KU ?

• @jayballer67 He’s from Lee’s Summit, Missouri, so the talk is that potential suitors would be schools in that area (Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, etc.). According to a poster here that I talk to in private chat often, who shall remain nameless, Bishop and his family want him in Lawrence.

• I think KState, Mizzou, Wichita St, and Tulsa all offered when he was a recruit.

• @BeddieKU23 said in 2021 Transfer Talk/List:

Cole Swider to Cuse

This is a good fit they can use his shooting and hide his defense in the zone.

• Christian Bishop would be a weird fit on KU next season. He played the 5 at Creighton because they were a very small team, but his size lends itself more to being a 4 at KU. He also doesn’t have great range so playing him next to Dave would look very similar to when Dave and Doke were on the floor together last year which didn’t work at all.

I like his game a lot and think he was Creighton’s second best player overall behind Zegarowski. That said, I just don’t see his game being a good fit on next year’s team and I don’t really see him wanting to go from being a 2 year starter to wanting to come off the bench.

• Well, dammit, Mitch just might have to redshirt again. Maybe for a couple more years with these recruits and transfers coming in.

When he finally leaves KU, he will probably get a gold watch and a pension.

• Bishop sounds like a total lock. I expect an announcement from Jossell this week (probably early). 100% sure Tyty takes the last spot if he wants to commit.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in 2021 Transfer Talk/List:

Bishop sounds like a total lock. I expect an announcement from Jossell this week (probably early). 100% sure Tyty takes the last spot if he wants to commit.

Let’s hope on the two that you mention might commit

• So we still are going to have a team next year that can’t shoot. I’m am shocked Bill did not go get a legit knockdown shooter.

• @Woodrow said in 2021 Transfer Talk/List:

So we still are going to have a team next year that can’t shoot. I’m am shocked Bill did not go get a legit knockdown shooter.

Self probably thinks Ochai stays steady or gets better, Braun returns to form, Harris becomes more of a factor on offense, and Wilson improves a little bit and KU will be a much improved as a shooting team.

KU isn’t that far from being a good shooting team. Ochai was at 38% and pretty consistent. Harris was 65% on his limited attempts this so there’s potential for him to be a 40% guy with increased volume. Wilson getting north of 35% opens up some old school Self high-low action. Braun is the biggest X-factor for next season and if he gets back to the 40% neighborhood, then he once again becomes a very dangerous weapon for KU on offense.

• @Woodrow if they don’t land TyTy I would guess that is what they try to bring in.

Between TyTy, Pettiford, Martin and Clemence they should shoot better.

I also think banking on actual PGs running the offense combined with expected individual improvements we should be okay. Not great, but good enough.

Jalen, Braun, Ochai and Bryce are all capable of shooting better than they did last year.

• I like getting Christian Bishop. Big time athlete, lob guy, plays hard, well coached. Self said he wanted to get more athletic, well Pettiford and Bishop give him that. Cam Martin likes to dunk.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Curry wasn’t in the cards anymore, remember he hasn’t signed. Just a thought and connecting the dots of why Self has gone hard after bigs as well

• @Kcmatt7

Maybe some scheme tweaks as well. I can’t imagine Self watches film of games this year and thinks what these guys ran was good offense. As the game continues to change, maybe we see some more wrinkles to the offense. It’s not just personnel that struggled.

• Portal hit 1200.

Should add another 100 this week or so

• Joseph Yesufu- yes please (if we can’t win the TyTy sweepstakes)

• @BeddieKU23 Curry not coming has been in the back of my mind

• @Kcmatt7

The tea leaves say so, he won’t get much if any playing time here with the way things are going. When Self took Martin I thought this was likely, now with the pursuit of Bishop it seems cemented. It seemed like a decent take in November but 5 months later + Curry’s so-so season, I think we’ve moved on.

• Interesting reading Auburn’s board in regards to TyTy.

They got a transfer guard in Zep Jasper, reliable scorer/defender from College of Charleston.

They made the top 4 for Methzu transfer guard Xavier Pinson and it looks like Auburn is favored to land him.

They have been recruiting 2022 5 star point guard Scotta Henderson for a long time, favored in the crystal ball to land him and he’s possible to reclassify in 2021. It sounds like they want Scoot the most, given the time invested in the recruitment. Not saying that sways TyTy one way or the other but I think its significant that Auburn is heavy after guards and it isn’t just TyTy

• https://247sports.com/Article/Triple-Threat-Alert-Stanley-Umude-Kyler-Edwards-Transfer-Portal-Brock-Cunningham-163679923/

“As of now, it looks as if Bill Self and the Jayhawks have the most momentum.”

• @BShark Would be nice if true…

• @Kcmatt7 Would believe this is 100% tied to Ochai’s decision.

• @BShark

whoa!

• They see Umude as mostly a 4 who can play the 3 in a pinch. Might end up as a super sub.

• I don’t see how you talk that guy into a bench role.

• If they are thinking he is a 4 (which upon review of his tape he probably is) Jalen’s spot is in trouble. He’s better than Jalen.

• Bill is dealing right now, mercy.

TyTy gonna end up in the GLeague so I wonder who we pivot to.

• @BShark said in 2021 Transfer Talk/List:

Bill is dealing right now, mercy.

TyTy gonna end up in the GLeague so I wonder who we pivot to.

Really? Where you seeing this?

• @BeddieKU23 Nothing official yet.

• @BShark

Disappointing but expected tbh. Gave myself a day or two to dream it was possible here but knew it was a pipedream

• Devin Askew transferring from Kentucky

• @KirkIsMyHinrich said in 2021 Transfer Talk/List:

Devin Askew transferring from Kentucky

Saw it mentioned that he is “Anrio Adams if he played big minutes”