Self talking about the team

• If Jalen Wilson’s shooting isn’t significantly improved, he’s going to be the odd man out and I really wouldn’t be surprised if he transfers out after this season.

• I think he’s a 3-4 year guy and hope he is up for that. Seems to me to be similar to Andrew White.

• I was thinking the same as Texas Hawk but the preseason hype has me wondering a little bit. Should probably stick to initial evaluations but sometimes those look foolish.

@approxinfinity I’d take that minus the helicopter parent. White sure got around.

• Wilson being down 15 pounds should help his quickness. Not sure it’ll be enough to get into the conversation about playing the 3, would would definitely be some value added.

• Wilson shot 39% from three in highschool. Shot mechanics looked solid from the little I saw. Too me he has to improve ball handling and driving. His ball handling did not look great last year. I think he will be a pretty good three point shooter by his junior year… Tristian is the opposite. Great explosive driver but his shot mechanics were not good and that will limit his potential.

• @jayhawks2010 39% in HS really isn’t that good for someone who’s supposed to be considered a good shooter. Shooting percentage doesn’t increase when you step up a level and Jalen was terrible shooting in what action he did have in the first couple of exhibitions and games. He also had an injury that didn’t really allow him to be able to do much until he was fully recovered which wasn’t until the end of the season.

• TGF being hurt makes it tough to really assess where things are at. His versatility can solve a lot of problems for KU because he has the ability to do a little bit of everything. He can guard 1-4. He can handle the ball. He can shoot it. He’s a very solid rebounder. But if his injury lingers, we may see something in that skill set compromised (i.e., if he can’t run and jump, his defense and rebounding (and maybe shooting) could suffer.

I see Wilson as a fill in the blanks guy, maybe even a deluxe fill in the blanks guy. He’s basically a guy that can give you whatever you need on a particular night. Of course, this is dependent on him staying healthy as well. I’m not sold on him as a shooter, but if he is shooting it well, that could boost the rest of his game (it’s just easier to play well when shots are going in).

• I’m still waiting for the first “I’ve heard Mitch added the three to his game” of the season. I’m flabbergasted nobody here has said it yet lol.

• @justanotherfan

I think the “x-factor” for Jalen is his reputation as a scrapper. Self always finds time for a scrapper. Potentially, he is a guy who can uplift the whole team if he brings that kind of attitude and energy into a game. He’s not afraid to drive the ball, in fact, prefers to drive. If he scraps on defense… Self will play him.

• @Kcmatt7

Come on… play nice! 🙂

• @Kcmatt7 didn’t he add that last yr?

• Practice starts tomorrow!

• @BeddieKU23 wow man. Is this really happening?

• @approxinfinity said in Self talking about the team:

@BeddieKU23 wow man. Is this really happening?

Right. It certainly doesn’t even feel like its about to start. Still pissed how last season ended…

• @BeddieKU23 said in Self talking about the team:

@approxinfinity said in Self talking about the team:

@BeddieKU23 wow man. Is this really happening?

Right. It certainly doesn’t even feel like its about to start. Still pissed how last season ended…

you and me both my friend - -THAT was are for the taking

• Just a thought but if we expect this years team to be good imagine next year if everyone returned with the free year. I don’t expect Marcus would come back if he has a great season but who knows at this point. Even if he leaves the roster looks good if everyone stayed. I have no idea what to expect from this season but with so many guys eligible to return that are likely too next season really feels like the year that this group could be magical

• @BeddieKU23 said in Self talking about the team:

Just a thought but if we expect this years team to be good imagine next year if everyone returned with the free year. I don’t expect Marcus would come back if he has a great season but who knows at this point. Even if he leaves the roster looks good if everyone stayed. I have no idea what to expect from this season but with so many guys eligible to return that are likely too next season really feels like the year that this group could be magical

There may be some incentive for Marcus to return to KU. He doesn’t have a good fit in the NBA unless he improves his perimeter shooting substantially. He could be a dominant college player with his current skills - potentially an All American type - but a non-shooting wing player just doesn’t have much attraction at the next level. If he is interested in doing some graduate work, it may be to his benefit to stay in Lawrence.

• @justanotherfan

Good stuff and right on, Garrett needs to show improved shooting to stick at the next level. 5 years could do the trick

• I think Garrett will leave but…if he stays watch out.

• This year won’t be like past years. This COVID stuff is going to bring lots of problems. Outbreaks and cancellations… I don’t expect this to be a great year for most players to show their wares for the next level. I have my doubts if this will be a year where Garrett will want to make the leap. But I imagine he would test the waters and then decide.

• Guys, it sounds like there’s a legit chance Christian Braun is out leading scorer this year. Dude has had a phenomenal preseason.

• Lot’s of CB is a badass baller smoke right now. Definitely seems like he has secured a starting spot.

• like the article was saying that I posted the other day. Coach Self saying Christian , and Tristan , & Jalen all 3 had had really good practices from the beginning of practice. Would love to see Christina and Tristan BOTH have really good Seasons.

• He seemed to understand and play within the system as a freshman last season, so I’m not surprised. But it’s great to hear, still. It seems like Garrett, Braun, Agbaji, and McCormack are likely starters. I thought Thompson was going to start, but that seems a little more shaky now. I wonder who the fifth starter will be.