2020 Football Recruiting

• https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Season/2020-Football/Targets/

Here’s the list of current “Prospects”

Have to love what the staff is doing. Recruiting Texas, Louisiana and St. Louis really, really hard. Those 3 are keys to landing any sort of a decent class.

• Definitely going after different caliber of players than past regimes. Obviously the proof is in the pudding they say. So let’s see if Les and staff can do more than just offer big names. Have to be able to land some as well.

There is also a influx of local talent this year in KC and the metro area. Hopefully we can keep those kids in state or coming to KU as well.

I am super excited to see what Les can do as far as a class is concerned with a full year and 20 plus scholarships to give out. Should be able to reel in a top 50 class.

• KU got a “commitment” from Keenan Hambrick a 6’4’’ 3* WR out of Alabama. He also said in the tweet that his recruitment remains open. Football is silly.

• He deleted the original and tweeted again without the weird “I’m still open” remark. https://twitter.com/thekino_2/status/1099450707864899590?s=21

• BShark said:

KU got a “commitment” from Keenan Hambrick a 6’4’’ 3* WR out of Alabama. He also said in the tweet that his recruitment remains open. Football is silly.

Good size -height - hope some speed

• I’ll tell you…it is really an exciting time for football. This is going to get real good real quick.

• Flipped this kid away from Missouri.

https://247sports.com/Player/Trevor-Kardell-46081793/

• BShark said:

Flipped this kid away from Missouri.

https://247sports.com/Player/Trevor-Kardell-46081793/

good to see getting some commits. - -now a matter of hanging on to them – December a long ways away. - -I feel really confident were going to start seeing some higher rated players coming in too - -I think I see that light AND the end of the tunnel - -seriously think Les just might get this turns around. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Well I just read where we got our 4th commit for next season. – - Some talking about must be Les Miles version of the true Dual threat QB.

his name is - - - VonShai Harden 2 - -out of Topeka High - don’t really know a lot right yet other then played QB at Topeka High - -and talk about may be switched to another position hell who knows lol - -All really know right now is also recruited by K-State - -came out on twitter - -says he is 100 % committed to KU - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Looks like he could either be a great WR or a mediocre QB. My guess is he starts the latter and ends up the former once we get him here. Definitely a D1 caliber athlete though.

• Harden is a tremendous athlete. Might get moved to defense in college because of his athleticism. Likely will not play quarterback in college. While they are at it they need to get his backfield mate Ky Thomas in the fold. Thomas is a running back and can stay at RB in college. Thomas may be the top player in Kansas next season.

• Kcmatt7 said:

Looks like he could either be a great WR or a mediocre QB. My guess is he starts the latter and ends up the former once we get him here. Definitely a D1 caliber athlete though.

That’s good to hear he IS D-1 caliber athlete. - pretty sad the kid is right here in my home city and I haven’t been keeping up on his recruiting - - makes 2 Kansas kids for next year. - -Do you now by chance what other schools other then K-state may have been interested in him? -size? - - 100 yd time? - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• justanotherfan said:

Harden is a tremendous athlete. Might get moved to defense in college because of his athleticism. Likely will not play quarterback in college. While they are at it they need to get his backfield mate Ky Thomas in the fold. Thomas is a running back and can stay at RB in college. Thomas may be the top player in Kansas next season.

SO considered more of an Athlete right? - - Thomas has already made a verbal to another school - can’t remember who though - - going out of State. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• jayballer73 said:

Kcmatt7 said:

Looks like he could either be a great WR or a mediocre QB. My guess is he starts the latter and ends up the former once we get him here. Definitely a D1 caliber athlete though.

That’s good to hear he IS D-1 caliber athlete. - pretty sad the kid is right here in my home city and I haven’t been keeping up on his recruiting - - makes 2 Kansas kids for next year. - -Do you now by chance what other schools other then K-state may have been interested in him? -size? - - 100 yd time? - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

I know nothing more about him other than watching his film he was clearly above the competition all season. I coached HS football for 4 years and watched film on probably 25 different schools in that time and at least a thousand different players.

This guy sticks out as clearly D1 material. You can just tell when a Kansas High School kid is D1 because he is basically unstoppable. He is bigger, faster, stronger, quicker and just flat out more athletic than anyone else on the field trying to tackle him.

To me, he looks like a future receiver. He has the size for it and he would be a legitimate threat with the ball after the catch.

Don’t feel bad about not hearing about him though, he isn’t ranked at all on 247. Which is pretty rare even for some of the lesser recruits tbh. But it is nice to see that Miles and staff are at least looking at the talent in our backyard even if nobody else really is.

• jayballer73 said:

SO considered more of an Athlete right? - - Thomas has already made a verbal to another school - can’t remember who though - - going out of State. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Thomas has given a verbal commit to Minnesota. I think he may be flippable under the right set of circumstances. He’s quite an athlete as well.

• I hope they give him a shot at QB just to see what he’s got with some coaching. Knowing Topeka, they probably don’t have near the quality of coaching that most other big programs in the state, let alone comparing it to the rest of the country. But he’s certainly athletic enough to play WR at this level.

Also a bummer we lost Nate Matlack to that lesser school west of us. Family stuff too much to overcome.

• @FarmerJayhawk

Topeka High’s coaching staff is pretty good. The Topeka school district has focused their top football coaches at the school to the detriment of the other two schools in the district, but it has made Topeka High a very strong 6A team in Kansas. As a result, most every good middle school player goes to Topeka High as well, which creates good competition in practice (another key development factor).

• FarmerJayhawk said:

I hope they give him a shot at QB just to see what he’s got with some coaching. Knowing Topeka, they probably don’t have near the quality of coaching that most other big programs in the state, let alone comparing it to the rest of the country. But he’s certainly athletic enough to play WR at this level.

Also a bummer we lost Nate Matlack to that lesser school west of us. Family stuff too much to overcome.

His throwing motion looks pretty decent actually. I just don’t know that he has the velocity. At least not from what I saw.

I’d certainly give him a chance at QB his first year here just to see if he can develop. But I wouldn’t waste too much time on it if the arm strength just isn’t there.

• Well maybe just me alone , but if I am - -I’m still cool with it. - Looks like Coach Miles is really making a concerted effort to inner act with the students. Trying to get the students energized and wanting to be in the stands.

Ya we have people here saying it’s not really about the fans when I mentioned about Rick Ross possibly gonna be at the spring game and preform afterwards - saying this isn’t for the fans - -super I ? we get that - -maybe it isn’t ALL for the fans/students -it’s for the possible recruits - which is awesome. Yet things like these is ALSO for students to a degree at the minimum .

Now I just saw where Les was inner acting with the students at the Underground area. - - He was out mixing in with students and bought students their lunches. - For me that’s pretty dam cool - students taking pictures with them -talking with them - -mingling - - he is doing what he can - hoping efforts like this will help bring students back even more - -maybe get some excitement for his players - -bringing the team support. – I think he has good idea’s trying to promote interest and let the students see - - seems to be a very likeable Coach - hey can’t hurt trying to get buuts back in the stands again. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Well guys ok, - -call me stupid - - -crazy - - -insane – -it’s ok I understand - but I’m just telling you I’m finding it really hard for me to not get pumped for our guys this year in football - -I actually feel excited - So many things going on around the program - Coach miles really invested trying to bring this football program back to life

Can’t wait for the Spring game this weekend - not going to be able to make it down because of some health things right now limiting my travel but I’ll be ok nothing really that serious -BUT looking really forward to it

Was just reading that Coach Miles and staff are going to have now being reported at least SEVENTY possible recruits at the spring game - -SEVENTY now being reported - that’s just insane - they say they don’t think that quite possibly been done ANYWHERE. There was a statement made that what that means that or they said around half of that 70 has been offered or could be a PWO the other half could be top recruits were going after.

I know for sure there are Two that we want really bad - -# 1 is a 4 star running back and feel like they have a really good shot at getting he is AaShad Clayton - -out of Louisiana showing 100 % LSU right now BUT he IS really interested in KU - tweeted out - -ROAD TRIP - would be the highest recruit KU has ever landed ranked nu 97 in the Nation ranked as the 10th best running back in the Nation and the 2nd best out of Louisiana - I think the staff feels really good about him - -he is going to be there Saturday

Another recruit they want is a 4 * QB hard commit to LSU right now BUT he is coming to the KU Spring game also feel fairly good about him to - his name is TJ Finlay BIG BOY - -I MEAN BIG – 6’6 239 LBS pro style QB - -we will see. - -Bottom line is - - -KU is now getting visits from 4 star players - -when is the last time that has happened - - if ever

I’m just pumped - -70 visitors – -a lot of Kansas kids - Coach miles trying to repair that connection with Kansas kids that our previous Coach’s destroyed - not making the effort to recruit - -Dam I’m ready - -pumped

Go ahead tell me I’m crazy just can’t help it getting excited - - breath of fresh air - -I think Coach just might get us turned around. - - Also read that we will be taking snaps direct under center this season a lot - -a lot of shot guns - article said Schools are getting more and more away from the Air Raid-Schools have found out how to defend it - - Man I’m ready - - -JUMPIN - -GEE - -HOSSA - -FATS MAN - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG - - -lets do this

• @jayballer73 I know the spring game is on cox 22, so whatever you guys get up north, spectrum sports or whatever channel Jayhawk network is on, you probably get it too. We were going to go, still might, depends on weather.

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

@jayballer73 I know the spring game is on cox 22, so whatever you guys get up north, spectrum sports or whatever channel Jayhawk network is on, you probably get it too. We were going to go, still might, depends on weather.

thanks - -I think I’m gonna try and catch it off the ESPN plus - I think it’s gonna show there4. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• BShark said:

https://247sports.com/player/keith-miller-46050103/

fans off

Really sweet get. - another 3 * Wide receiver - - - Imagine this is our FIFTH COMMIT already - - we would be lucky to get 5 players interested in us little lone commit with our previous staff - - starting this of on a very strong side. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73 when is the spring game

• ReggieKansas said:

@jayballer73 when is the spring game

LMAO - -you such a funny guy - you already knew that man lol – That Smog in California is messin with ya. - - We had close to 70 visitors/recruits there - you gonna be see more coming in the not so distant future I think.

Sure hoping we land Clayton - -would be the highest recruit we have ever landed. - - - Like I told ya the other day when we were talking - - Pooka Williams verison # 2 - - awesome RB. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73 Who is Clayton? Position, etc. Thanks, Gerry.

• stoptheflop said:

@jayballer73 Who is Clayton? Position, etc. Thanks, Gerry.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ashaad-Clayton-46036383/

• @BShark . The player BIO states from Warren Easton HS. Isn’t that the high school that Tony Hull coached before moving to KU?

• Gorilla said:

@BShark . The player BIO states from Warren Easton HS. Isn’t that the high school that Tony Hull coached before moving to KU?

Yes. It’s the only reason KU is still on his list I would imagine.

• Out of curiosity hard commit means exactly what? Less likely to flip? Signed a loi?

• dylans said:

Out of curiosity hard commit means exactly what? Less likely to flip? Signed a loi?

It means verbal/not signed.

• @BShark football recruiting is shady af.

• dylans said:

@BShark football recruiting is shady af.

The NCAA hardly cares about basketball and that makes 99% of their revenue… they could give two shits about policing football and the 25 new players each school gets every season. That would cost them a fortune.

• stoptheflop said:

@jayballer73 Who is Clayton? Position, etc. Thanks, Gerry.

Another Running back out of Louisiana I believe - huge pick up if we get - just another version of Pooka and last i heard pretty interested in KU. - - Clayton Ashaad - -really good player - think we are in really good shape - - although he is a 100% Louisiana commit he has high interest n KU

• The player I was talking about - tweeted out tonight around 9:55 : - -I need to get back up to Kansas.

I’m telling you guys this kid is legit. - -ranked like @# 95 in the Nation - would be HUGE - -get the feel that we could easily end up landing him.

Got high hopes on another recruit he is a baby mountain 6’4 and believe 295 lbs - -Think he is Offensive Tackle - -love the Job staff is doing. - -Brighter days ahead. – ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Every football season I’m pumped up thinking “THIS will be the year…” and by October first I’m thinking “Will this punishment ever end? Let’s get on with basketball”. Slowly, I’m learning to like football more and more consistently. I mean, isn’t it great to go into a season with ZERO expectations and then be happy if we get a couple of nice players and 2, 3, 4 wins?

It’s way more appealing to me right now than expecting our basketball team to start the season ranked #1 and wind up with what is, for us a crappy season? Not even a share of the Big 12 Championship? Really?

Rock Chalk Football!

• BShark said:

New offer https://247sports.com/Player/Garnett-Burke-46083321/

Looks like he’s highly sought after.

• @Kcmatt7 Where can I find your sarcasm font? Is that an APP or something I can download?

• nuleafjhawk said:

@Kcmatt7 Where can I find your sarcasm font? Is that an APP or something I can download?

Lol I’m obviously being sarcastic, but I’m also glad to hear the staff is turning over rocks.

I’m definitely not being critical of anyone

• @Kcmatt7 Lol - I love it. “Highly Sought After”. 🙂

• Well our HUGE recruiting weekend is off and running - -here it is 12:05 Saturday morning and we have gotten two commitments - for the weekend all ready - -could be getting sufficient more what I’m hearing

Garrett Jones a – OL – think he played a guard - – 6’4 - -280 I believe - -and then - Big time get - -we landed- - - - - - JaCobee Bryant - OLB – - he other schools were : - Georgia Tech - - Kentucky - -Ole Miss - - Tennessee & KU - -some big time offers there. – Seen where one place had him listed as 3 * - and another has him listed as a 4 *

Anyways nice start to the weekend. - -One thing to remember all verbals - -now we have to hang onto these guys

• GUYS. BUCKLE UP.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

GUYS. BUCKLE UP.

just checked rankings now - - -we are now ranked 32 in the Nation. - -were gonna get more commits this weekend or right at the 1st part of next week - - Watch - -rumor has a couple of more OL - man I want Ashaad

• Recruiting rankings are not going to be a good way to judge this class because Miles is approaching the number of commits he can take this season already. Total number of recruits plays a big factor in the rankings so with a small class, expect that ranking to start dropping once the commits slow way down because Miles is close to the number he can take for 2020.

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

Recruiting rankings are not going to be a good way to judge this class because Miles is approaching the number of commits he can take this season already. Total number of recruits plays a big factor in the rankings so with a small class, expect that ranking to start dropping once the commits slow way down because Miles is close to the number he can take for 2020.

they are weight to the individual player ranking point system - -we get a couple of the 4 star players like Johnson and other we gonna be just fine - -were gonna be just fine anyways. Have just totally blown aways our previous staffs efforts - -like stated earlier - fastest start in recruiting since 1998. - - Hell previous years it would take us 4 years worth o recruiting just to equal this ONE year of recruiting Coach Miles and staff has gotten. - -Bryant was huge get - - -we land the kid from Dallas & get Johnson - -I’ll be have as a peach tree in an Apple orchard. - - -ROCK CHALK ALLD AY LONG BABY

• Boooooom

• Its really nice to see things going in the right direction. Momentum will catapult the program into heights we’ve rarely seen. Going to take time, but sometime in the next 4 years, we will be a force to reckon with.