Dedric Lawson named first team All American by AP

• @BShark I do think he could be an incredible defender. I’ll wait on the offense. I mean, I need to see a game or two to really form a good opinion. But this is my preseason hot take haha.

• Kcmatt7 said:

@BShark I do think he could be an incredible defender. I’ll wait on the offense. I mean, I need to see a game or two to really form a good opinion. But this is my preseason hot take haha.

Admittedly I only saw him a couple times in AAU but I was really impressed!

• @Kcmatt7 Here’s hoping you’re right.

• No surprise that Lawson makes first team AA. If he puts up numbers close to what he did at Memphis while KU wins 30+ games, those numbers make him Big 12 POY and a contender for NPOY.

As for Duke, it all rides on their big 3 staying healthy and co-existing together. Each of those guys is a handful on their own, but there’s a question of whether any of them is good enough distributing the basketball to punish the inevitable double teams and slow rotations that come when they do draw the defense. If they do, they will absolutely shred teams with all of the talent they have. If not, though, they will struggle to get good shots and that will be their undoing.

For Kentucky, I think this team has a chance to be better than the last couple versions for Calipari because I think they will defend. The last few UK teams had trouble finding an identity on that end. I think this team will be better on D, which was Calipari’s calling card at UMass and Memphis if you remember prior to the OAD revolution - tons of tough minded defense first guys and one big time scorer.

Gonzaga and Nevada are the wild cards - experienced and talented. Maybe not next level superstars, but collegiate superstars that can carry their teams through the college season. I would not be surprised to see one or both of those teams in the Final Four.

In fact, if I had to pick a Final Four right now today, I would pick Kansas, Kentucky (too much talent on both those teams - anything less is a disappointment if they stay healthy), Nevada and North Carolina (gut feeling that they just keep getting better all season). I think Duke fades down the stretch with their big 3 struggling to do something other than just take turns on offense. I think Gonzaga gets a bad NCAA draw because they play in a weaker conference, which costs them a chance to go deep in the tourney. Of course, it’s a week before any real games are played. Guys are going to play poorly, get hurt, etc. But that’s where I land right now. I reserve the right to change my mind a couple dozen times.

• @Kcmatt7

I am not too worried about Travis. Yes, he went off for 29 point against KU in Lawrence in 2016 but 19 of those point came from the FT line. Doke 4 fouls in 11 minutes, Coleby 5 fouls in 7 minutes, Lucas 4 fouls in 18 minutes, refs were calling everything on KU and Travis took full advantage. Next season in 2017 he was held to 12 point and 4 rebounds in 39 minutes while Doke had 24 point and 7 rebounds in 26 minutes.

I believe the big scorer for UK will be Herro.

• @JayHawkFanToo I think they’re beatable, but I think they will be a real good team. I watched their Blue and White scrimmage, and they have some tremendous athletes. That Herro is a really talented player with real quick hands. They don’t have as many big names, but the athleticism is off the charts. Our game with them should be quite a spectacle.

• @JayHawkFanToo I think he comes off the bench. I mean he definitely will be an offensive threat. I just think Cal runs Green, Quickley, KJ, PJ and Travis out there as his starting lineup. With Hagans and Herro coming off the bench.

• Kcmatt7 said:

@JayHawkFanToo I think he comes off the bench. I mean he definitely will be an offensive threat. I just think Cal runs Green, Quickley, KJ, PJ and Travis out there as his starting lineup. With Hagans and Herro coming off the bench.

My starting line-up would be Green, Hagans, KJ, Travis, Richards. PJ will definitely start over Richards though, Cal has something up his butt with Richards.

• I think the starting lineup discussion for kenyucky should be on ukbuckets.com. 🙂

• BShark said:

Kcmatt7 said:

@JayHawkFanToo I think he comes off the bench. I mean he definitely will be an offensive threat. I just think Cal runs Green, Quickley, KJ, PJ and Travis out there as his starting lineup. With Hagans and Herro coming off the bench.

My starting line-up would be Green, Hagans, KJ, Travis, Richards. PJ will definitely start over Richards though, Cal has something up his butt with Richards.

tbh I’m not sure Richards is what they thought he was. Painstakingly watched a lot of UK’s games last season it was hard to tell he was a former All-American. In his defense he just looked like a player that needed time compared to expectation. I wonder what a full year in will do for him.

• @BeddieKU23 You are probably right. And they were already dropping enough games that they couldn’t let Richards play through mistakes. Kind of a lose-lose situation for both parties. I do wonder what a year of development will do for him.

• RE: Keldon Johnson

“I think he’s crazy,” says Kentucky teammate PJ Washington, half laughing and half looking over his shoulder. “Like, literally crazy.”

“He’s wild,” says fellow freshman Immanuel Quickley, choosing his words carefully with the madman sitting less than 20 yards away. “I don’t think he’s actually mentally unstable. He’s just always hyped. It could be 5 a.m. and he’s yelling.”

• Kcmatt7 said:

@BeddieKU23 You are probably right. And they were already dropping enough games that they couldn’t let Richards play through mistakes. Kind of a lose-lose situation for both parties. I do wonder what a year of development will do for him.

Richards is an interesting case. What I saw of him in High School was a big athletic mobile center that lacked a ton of skill. He was massively overranked/overhyped (probably more of a 30-50 range type recruit on current ability at the time) but because he committed to UK and at his size I’m sure they did it to appease the Nike/UK conglomerate.

At Kentucky as a freshman he was the same player and looked like he struggled being coached up the way Calipari goes about things. Now it will be interesting to see what individual player development he received and what he was able to improve on as well as his maturity which I noticed was also a big issue in why he sat at times

• KJ is a talent and probably the best player on their team overall. I’m a bit hesitant to say he’s as good as some of UK’s past OAD hype machines but he certainly has the opportunity to lead this team if he’s as good as they say

• BeddieKU23 said:

Kcmatt7 said:

@BeddieKU23 You are probably right. And they were already dropping enough games that they couldn’t let Richards play through mistakes. Kind of a lose-lose situation for both parties. I do wonder what a year of development will do for him.

Richards is an interesting case. What I saw of him in High School was a big athletic mobile center that lacked a ton of skill. He was massively overranked/overhyped (probably more of a 30-50 range type recruit on current ability at the time) but because he committed to UK and at his size I’m sure they did it to appease the Nike/UK conglomerate.

At Kentucky as a freshman he was the same player and looked like he struggled being coached up the way Calipari goes about things. Now it will be interesting to see what individual player development he received and what he was able to improve on as well as his maturity which I noticed was also a big issue in why he sat at times

Usually this is the kind of big that Cal likes and does well under him. I still think Travis is a weird fit.

• @BShark @BeddieKU23 I just think Richards is on more of the WCS development path and won’t really be any good until his Junior year.

• wissox said:

I think the starting lineup discussion for kenyucky should be on ukbuckets.com. 🙂

I clicked on that link. It actually works, just not the way you think…

• @BShark That was a good interview. I didn’t think about Charlie helping those two mentally. Sounds like those three bonded and made practices fun. And pushed last season’s group.

• ESPN/Nike has Dedric on 2nd team All American. You’ll have a good laugh at their 5.

CBS has Dedric 1st team

• BeddieKU23 said:

ESPN/Nike has Dedric on 2nd team All American. You’ll have a good laugh at their 5.

CBS has Dedric 1st team

Rothstein has SAGBALLS Konate first team over Dedric. I’m laughing so hard it hurts.

• @BShark

Rothy makes it easy

• BeddieKU23 said:

ESPN/Nike has Dedric on 2nd team All American. You’ll have a good laugh at their 5.

CBS has Dedric 1st team

ESPN with 3/5 from the ACC. Just standard ACC cheerleading.