Thoughts on the victory vs Fizzou

• dylans said:

@BShark No gameplan, no game prep. I’m assuming very few set plays. I doubt very much that KU resembles what you saw yesterday in March.

Agree. I’m not willing to call it a real game, because it’s not, but it was closer than most. Certainly the intensity alone was much greater than a normal exhibition or the Italy games.

• @stoptheflop

Will this work ?..or you can use this link

0_1508784151697_upload-cfdd100d-6f39-4065-a646-d38aabe42c6d

• @JayHawkFanToo Many thanks for the box score.

• 10 of 37 rebounds from our bigs in 44 minutes. That’s horrid. Bill will be yelling at them for sure

• @BeddieKU23 No excuse for Doke to not get 10+ rebounds every single game.

• @dylans you are allowing your emotional bias to cloud your judgement. These types of big time games rarely happen before the season starts. Getting a head start on our early season competition (UK) is really important. I wouldn’t have cared who we played as long as it was a good team. It just so happened to be Missouri, who has a lot of talent and height, which is a tough challenge for our small ball oriented team.

I know everyone is enthralled with the rivalry, but lets just focus on the actual basketball advantages that occurred yesterday. When looked at in that sense instead of an emotional standpoint, the benefits and potential payoffs become clear.

• Doke with only 2 fouls and made it 27 minutes against some quality big men. That is great to see.

Now the other two bigs… Not so great. Bill said he would like to see us play big 70% of the time. I’m just not sure that is going to be possible if BP and ML can’t guard without fouling. It makes me think we could be better off going 4-guards at least 50% of the time.

The reason I say that, if we go in with the game plan that we want to play big and then Doke or BP get in early foul trouble our game plan probably just went right out of the window. Where, if we start with 4 guards, we are so deep that even if someone were to get hurt or in foul trouble we have someone else who can come in and play. Then, those stretches where we are struggling to make shots, we can still always do the good ole Bill Self two-big high-low, feed the post non-stop as a backup plan. I mean that is in our guys DNA at this point right? We can always revert back to the normal High-Low offense. I think it is probably much harder to switch from a High-Low gameplan in the middle of a game to a 4 out drive and dish offense. Where, I feel the reverse is much easier to do when the High-Low has been pounded into everyone’s heads for basically 2 seasons at the very least.

• @Kcmatt7 I thought Billy looked great in the post.

• @HawkChamp 5 fouls in 15 minutes of playing time. He looked very solid offensively. But you can’t score from the bench.

• @Kcmatt7 he’ll get better at not fouling as the season goes on. Can’t believe no one else noticed his back to the basket repertoire. That sort of thing was non existent last year and now we have two guys that can do it. Again, I would much rather have this learning experience to point out weaknesses than against Kentucky.

• We need to improve rebounding. But part of it is it’s tougher to get rebounds when the other team is jacking up 3s. That’s the main reason they had the advantage.

• SUMMARY: File under almost no GOOD deed goes unpunished. Self plays hated Fizzou to raise money for flood victims (Self could easily have written a personal check for what was raised) and do Okie Baller Cuonzo (Eddie-Keady-Weber line) a favor. KU almost beaten by program trying to get off a ventilator. Really bad performance that shows how shallow, weak and green KU is this year. But Self was apparently trying to turn Fizzou into an Okie Baller Mafia employment base, and solidify SPRINT CENTER finances, and pay off an IOU to Keady-Webber, so he probably thinks it’s worth it. He also gets a Brownie point from the Af-Am assistant coaches association with big recruiting influence by helping Cuonzo. And he paved way to a profit center on KUs non con schedule for years to come. Logic said do it, but sometimes logic should not be listened to. Go with your heart, Bill.

UPs:

Doke low fouls and blocks.

Devonte treys and assists

Vick kept playing on off shooting night

DOWNs:

Svi no show

Doke few boards

Billy Foul

Lightfoot = transfer out minutes

Malik TOs

Team rebounding

SIDEWAYs:

Marcus

• I actually thought lightfoot improved.

• Lightfoot looked solid.

• @BShark 3 blocks in 12 minutes isn’t bad.

• @Kcmatt7 If Lightfoot can just rebound and bring energy I’m good with that. Give like 15 minutes a game and don’t hemorrhage points when he is on the court.

• @BShark he’s pretty good at antagonizing other bigs!

• No way Lightfoot transfers out or redshirts. People need to watch Lightfoot a little more closely–he’s a better player and athlete than people seem to realize. He obviously learned a lot (from Lucas probably) about where to be on the floor. Self seems to be getting comfortable with him, so it would not surprise me if he starts some games in the next couple years while the one-and-dones learn the system. The horror.

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

@BShark he’s pretty good at antagonizing other bigs!

Probably learned that from Lucas too. LOL

• DanR said:

Crimsonorblue22 said:

@BShark he’s pretty good at antagonizing other bigs!

Probably learned that from Lucas too. LOL

Lucas was just the right amount of dirty. 💯

• I did like the things Mitch did. He appears to have a knack for blocking shots. Last year when he came in it felt like he was a net negative, capable of making a play or two but gave up three or four baskets. I didn’t notice that to the same degree on Sunday.

@chriz yeah, long shots equal long rebounds, which favors the offense. I mean, how many threes did Missouri shoot? 27? 30? It was a lot, for sure, and yet we were only outrebounded by four. Pretty amazing actually. We had the same problem against Oklahoma a couple years at Norman and all they did was shoot perimeter shots. If anything, it’s the rebounding of our guards that needs to get better because those shots will land near the free throw line extended. It’s tough for bigs to fight for position and rebound that far out.

• Our guards did out board our bigs, didn’t they?

• @Crimsonorblue22 yes but Devonte is the only one who rebounded well (10 rebounds). All five need to be fully engaged for a rebound and not rely on just Dok to get them.

• @HawkChamp DG 10, Malik 6, the 3 bigs 10

• Long rebounds on long shots favor the guards. If that’s what they are taking and KU is being outrebounded then it’s likely the other team isn’t getting back on D. Time to outlet pass like Cole Aldrich and burn those suckers on easy run outs. That’ll force the d to get back and make rebounding easier for KU.