Bragg is leaving

• Kansas sophomore forward Carlton Bragg Jr. will transfer from KU, Jayhawks men’s basketball coach Bill Self said Thursday.

“We appreciate Carlton’s efforts the last two years at Kansas,” Self said. “We certainly respect his decision to pursue other opportunities. We wish him nothing but the very best and hope he is able to reach his dreams and goals.”

“I really enjoyed my time here at Kansas,” Bragg said. “Kansas has the best fans and I do love the program. This past year didn’t go as well as I thought it would and it’s in my best interest to get a fresh start. I want to thank my teammates, coaches and the fans for all their support these past two years. I will always cheer for the Jayhawks.”

Bragg averaged 5.4 points and 4.1 rebounds in for Kansas in 2016-17. The 6-foot-10, 240-pound Cleveland native started the first five games of the season and had five games of 10 or more points his sophomore campaign. He scored a career-high 15 points twice against Siena (Nov. 18) and against TCU (Feb. 22). He posted his lone double-double of his career with 11 rebounds in the Siena contest.

As a freshman in 2015-16, Bragg averaged 3.8 points and 2.5 rebounds for KU. He had two games of 10-plus points and six contests with five more rebounds his rookie year.

KUAthletics.com: The official online source for Kansas Athletics, Williams Education Fund contributions, tickets, merchandise, multimedia, photos and much, much more.

• The above is a press release from KU, not authored by me.

• Not going to lie, I teared up a little realizing I won’t get to see that goofy smile next season.

• Absolutely no surprise. Another blackhole for post recruiting…

• Sad to see him go because of his potential but glad the off court issues with him and JJ are not our problem. Best of luck to him.

• Making room for two guards and Juiston?

• So will we be thin on bigs next year? Doke off an injury, lightfoot needing to be locked in a weight room, Coleby to get his explosion back and freshman Preston.

• Just pointing out.

Alexander- Mickey D- ineligible to end his one average Season.

Bragg- Mickey D- Suspended twice, gone after Soph Season.

Diallo- Mickey D- ineligible to start the season, left after barely playing 1 year

Doke- Mickey D- Injured after 11 games. Seems to be the exception

Preston- Mickey D- lots of ineligibly questions following him.

Hmm should Bill be choosing his Mickey D bigs better?

• @Kcmatt7 Ya I hear ya, I am not going to lie either - -was really hoping he would come back, but just as I had said the off the court issues was probably just a little. to much. I think he still has a lot of potential, But we will never know either and not trying to stir anything but simply saying and I certainly hope and pray that there might still be more trouble ahead for Carlton from this years off court problems - -could still be some things that hasn’t come out to the public with legal issues - -I certainly hope not I really like the kid. - -Just sad to see him go - -but anyways best of luck buddy wherever you land hope nothing but the best for you. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @BeddieKU23 Mickey D Big Macs with Geez.

I’m sad about this one but think it makes sense for Carlton to start over. Coming back from last year’s issues is hard anywhere and especially at Kansas.

I will not be surprised if he still turns into a beast by senior year.

Wish him the best. Will root for him wherever save at the axis of evil (Andrew White was an exception)

• @BeddieKU23 said:

Just pointing out.

Alexander- Mickey D- ineligible to end his one average Season.

Bragg- Mickey D- Suspended twice, gone after Soph Season.

Diallo- Mickey D- ineligible to start the season, left after barely playing 1 year

Doke- Mickey D- Injured after 11 games. Seems to be the exception

Preston- Mickey D- lots of ineligibly questions following him.

Hmm should Bill be choosing his Mickey D bigs better?

Suggesting he can choose. @jaybate-1.0 has it figured out, Self takes who he can. :tongue:

• Oh and Shakur Juiston come on down!

• @BShark said:

Suggesting he can choose. @jaybate-1.0 has it figured out, Self takes who he can. :tongue:

Exactly. Picking up the scraps left by UK and Duke. Sucks.

• Well as predicted by many. I had held out hope that he might stay and develop. Probably is for the best. Fresh start will be good. I still believe he will be a good player. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. OSU? Another big 10?

• @Hawk8086 Fully agree that it is for the best. The best for KU and the best for Bragg. He had a horrible year on and off the basketball court. I assume it was the worst year of his life. A clean slate will be great for him and for the KU program.

Seems like playing time will be available in the Kansas post. Should be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

• @Hawk8086 Unlikely any of the Big 12 schools

• Amazing how some players develop and some don’t. Mason comes to mind. Nick Bradford an older example.

The brain is a powerful muscle.

• Also, speaking of losing guys I just read that Briscoe is leaving UK for the draft and is hiring an agent. Briscoe is a rock solid college player who gets to the hoop but he is only 6’2 and can’t shoot. What am I missing here as far as what the NBA likes? Hard to imagine being a UK fan with they way their program operates. Obviously KU has kids come in as OAD and we have the occasional transfer like AW3 and Bragg but can you imagine the entire team being new basically every year?

• @joeloveshawks

Nothing to miss, Cal pushed him out.

Looks like your connection to KU Buckets was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.