Romar

• Gone!

• @Crimsonorblue22

How about the Porters? I will guess that the father will wait until a new HC is named and he decides who he keeps. I would not be surprised if other programs make a play for the father-son package but the NCAA will be looking closely; I believe they now have some rules in place that might make it more difficult. but there is always a workaround.

• @JayHawkFanToo

Allegedly… Michael Sr. will follow Martin to Mizzou. Gosh… what a waste of amazing talent. This will be worse than Simmons going to LSU.

But just because sports media wonks are spreading this rumor, doesn’t mean it is fact.

• @Crimsonorblue22

Has this been confirmed? Has Washington officially released Michael Porter?

• Forget about the Porters, give me Daejon Davis if KU doesn’t land Duval.

@BeddieKU23

• @JayHawkFanToo

The Porters claim he never signed a LOI, while Washington reported that he did. I’m guessing he did and will require a release, but I doubt there is a problem with that. Consider the Porters gone from Wash.

• Hell I’m not picky, I’d take Blake Harris too. We need a PG.

• I believe the NCAA has a bylaw that prevents “Individuals associated with a prospect” (IAWP) which included parents from getting employment from the school for a period starting 2 years before enrollment until 2 years after the prospect has left the school.

• @JayHawkFanToo hmm

I’m trying to make sense of the rules.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/DI_Individuals_Associated_With_a_Prospect_Dialogue-SEMINAR_06302016.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjLwYrU3dnSAhUn_4MKHfFyBmsQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNFNQmhSYd3LBa1vevrrKM42fpaGXA&sig2=uZhas-7cJadvRlhbepKXSg

It looks like 2 years +/- can’t hire as non coach or strength and conditioning coach.

Also 2 years +/- can’t hire for a RECRUITED prospect (IAWRP).

When did this take effect?

• @BShark said:

Hell I’m not picky, I’d take Blake Harris too. We need a PG.

Been a big fan of Harris. I’d take him

• @approxinfinity

I was trying to make sense of it myself and I found a story about Michigan Coach Harbaugh skirting the law and the article indicated that basketball had the rule for a while.

Here is one where Coach Izzo was fined for hiring someone for a Summer camp that indicates the bylaw was enacted in 2009, I seem to recall it being called the Chalmers Rule at the time.

Here is another link with more detail and mentions the fathers of Chalmers and Manning specifically. Hopefully the link will shed some additional light.

One would think that the school has looked into this and figured out a way around it. I bet Washington will not be happy if this happens and might decide not to release him of his LOI because of what could be consider tampering. If I recall correctly, Devonte’s previous school would not release him if he signed with UNC State because of the alleged tampering.

• @BeddieKU23 said:

@BShark said:

Hell I’m not picky, I’d take Blake Harris too. We need a PG.

Been a big fan of Harris. I’d take him

Underrated, kid can play. Wonder if he will open it back up. I’m just assuming KU misses on Duval at this point and I hope Duval decides before all the possible decommits do.

• @Crimsonorblue22 Kind of surprises me a little bit. – Thought they would of given him one more year - -see how Porter fitting thee might of helped - -but not shocked. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @JayHawkFanToo This is what exactly Missouri was hoping for. - Their thought is that if Martin takes their job, that porter opts to re-open his recruitment and Martin could convince Porter to Missouri. - -I can’t remember but did Porter sign and LOI or just a verbal and would of signed next month during the signing period? - -I don’t know. Could be interesting for him. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @drgnslayr Ya agree. - -I haven’t really seen to many places that have held a kid hostage if he wants a release, they might but doubtful. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• So JJ has been one of the best OADs we’ve seen in college basketball since I can remember, in terms of 1) “unpacking his bags” and 2) performing. With all the hate against the OAD scenario, JJ is a glorious exception to the rule.

Is Porter anything like JJ from the unpacking his bags perspective? If so, do we have ANY chance at getting him? Weren’t we mildly in the running for a while?

• @chriz Hard to tell, since he has already packed up and left a place he never went to!

• A kick in the nuts would be if a certain OU recruit convinces Porter to join him in Norman.

Also the origin of the recruit/parent rule, etc, etc…The two coaches that inspired that little rule was our own Larry Brown and Danny Manning (Ed Manning) and later Bill Self and Rio (Ronnie Chalmers). So, I’m not sure about speaking up too much about this rule.

The irony is a little funny.

• @truehawk93

Well…no. Manning had been a long friend of Larry Brown from their playing days and Chalmers was hired after he moved to Lawrence to see Mario play. More importantly, at the time Manning and Chalmers were hired it was not against NCAA rules.

A more obvious hire was Lafayette Norwood, Darnel Valentine’s HS coach who left KU after Valentine left. He did have a long career afterwards as a HC at Johnson County Community College.

• @JayHawkFanToo Well, yes. There was a lot of crazy talk and there was actually a pretty interesting discussion after Brown snatched him away from North Carolina, not UNC, but the state. I don’t think it was a huge topic, but it spurred some talk. You’re right, Brown did it really well and it wasn’t as obvious as it is now. But many referred back to Brown/Manning as an example. Maybe there was little to nothing of what they tried to claim, but they tried all the same.

I’m not arguing against your basic comment, because I think you’re actually right and wrong. But definitely a topic later for this rule.

• @Crimsonorblue22 Yeah…I really like Romar. I’ve always respected him. I still say, my opinion only, but John Calipari screwed him royal by snatching Jones after he committed. But Calipari and WWW went to work and worked their magic. Viola…Jones commits to UK, and won a NC. Gotta love it.

• Porter sr will likely head back to Missouri where he still has family and kids playing on the Missouri ladies basketball team

• @blackmild33 Sad thought, not the family point, but the Misery point.

• @truehawk93

Romar has had plenty of talent and it has grossly underperformed, Jones notwithstanding. When his Alma Mater is willing to let him go and risk losing the boatload of talent coming in tells you how poorly he has done in recent years…obviously a great recruiter but not that good of a coach.

• @truehawk93 @JayHawkFanToo All good points. Just to add, Ed Manning went to the San Antonio Spurs with Brown for 2 years as an assistant, and continued with them as a scout. So there was more to what he brought than just his kid. Many of these hires over the years were shown the door when the son left.

• @chriz

JJ is a different cat. Porter is more skilled, but JJ has crazy drive/desire.

• @JayHawkFanToo I’d agree and good point between coaching and recruiting.

• @chriz

Porter’s recruitment starts and ends with his father as we’ve seen. If he packs his bags and heads to Missouri we know the kid doesn’t care about what Jersey he puts on. I would lump Porter in the typical OAD that is just doing his time until he can make the NBA.

Kid is a complete stud and KU was involved until he shut us down last summer.

• @BShark

Depends on who Washington gets as its new coach but I bet a major reason he wanted to go to Washington was style of play and Romar + playing with Porter. I can’t imagine he’ll stick.

Harris did visit KU unofficially when his team was in Kansas for his Jr year. Some familiarity already.

I feel Harris is talented enough to play as a freshman, ideal size, athletic ability and shooting to step in and play a role similar to Devonte Graham during his fr year. I see Combo guard in him which is what Self prefers anyway. I wish we could contact Self and let him know this kid could be available.

• @BShark

Davis will stay West. I would expect either Gonzaga, Oregon or the Cali schools to be on him

• I thought the rule was that if you hired the recruits parent it had to be a full assistant job now. Not just player development or some junk position. Ronnie Chalmers is a prime example of why this rule is in place. I think it’s good for everyone. Who needs a helicopter dad actually in the program?!? It means you’d have to give up an assistants spot and on KU’s coaching staff, that’s too valuable to forfeit.

• @JayHawkFanToo I believe the rule is that a parent can’t work there within the two years like you said, unless the parent is hired on as an Assistant Coach. They thought that this would deter most coaches from hiring a parent because they can only have 3 assistants who can “officially recruit.”

• @BeddieKU23 said:

@BShark

Davis will stay West. I would expect either Gonzaga, Oregon or the Cali schools to be on him

Probably correct given that all his final schools were way west.

@BeddieKU23 said:

Porter’s recruitment starts and ends with his father as we’ve seen. If he packs his bags and heads to Missouri we know the kid doesn’t care about what Jersey he puts on. I would lump Porter in the typical OAD that is just doing his time until he can make the NBA.

Kid is a complete stud and KU was involved until he shut us down last summer.

Yep. It’s not even a secret. Porter’s dad can pound sand.

@BeddieKU23 said:

@BShark

Depends on who Washington gets as its new coach but I bet a major reason he wanted to go to Washington was style of play and Romar + playing with Porter. I can’t imagine he’ll stick.

Harris did visit KU unofficially when his team was in Kansas for his Jr year. Some familiarity already.

I feel Harris is talented enough to play as a freshman, ideal size, athletic ability and shooting to step in and play a role similar to Devonte Graham during his fr year. I see Combo guard in him which is what Self prefers anyway. I wish we could contact Self and let him know this kid could be available.

I sure hope he opens it back up. He would be a really good option assuming no Duval. It would be really nice if KU got him, then Dotson, that’s three North Carolina guards recently if it happens (Graham being the other) and North Carolina isn’t a bad place to have a positive recruiting rep.

• @BShark

Good point about the North Carolina recruiting pipeline.

I’m stunned Harris is ranked that low on most sites, I don’t see 10 better PG’s then him in this class and one that has considerable upside given his frame and abilities present day. He plays at a consistently good HS, I believe the same school that John Wall attended.

I have no idea what other schools were really after Blake because he shut down his recruitment down in the summer. I remember Virginia Tech being interested, his offer sheet is off the charts on 247. Being from Raleigh you would imagine NC State or UNC would have locked him up but signing with Washington you have to figure distance is not an issue for him which is a positive if KU did pursue him this time around.

I feel like sitting in this Duval race negatively impacts KU’s chances to recruit others. Can’t wait for this circus to be over with. Especially knowing there really isn’t much hope to be in it. The only hope is KU does well in March and our guards showcase themselves

• @BeddieKU23 said:

I feel like sitting in this Duval race negatively impacts KU’s chances to recruit others. Can’t wait for this circus to be over with. Especially knowing there really isn’t much hope to be in it. The only hope is KU does well in March and our guards showcase themselves

Completely agree, but it’s Self’s mo seemingly.

• @BShark How often do we miss on a late Spring Signee like this though? Self must be feeling good.