2018 Kansas Jayhawks Football Recruiting

• This is where I will keep a running list of KU’s 2018 recruits. I may not add players immediately because of work, but I will try to keep it as up to date as possible. I do the list in alphabetical order, not by highest rated because that can be subjective from service to service.

Aaron Brule, S, 6-1, 195, Rummel HS, Metarie, LA, Committed on 2/4/17

Cartez Crook-Jones, DE, 6-5, 230, Grandview HS, Grandview, MO, Committed on 2/9/17

Corione Harris, CB, 6-1, 170, Landry-Walker HS, New Orleans, LA, Committed on 2/4/17

Tevailance Hunt, WR, 6-2, 180, Texas HS, Texarkana, TX, Committed on 4/15/17

Devonta Jason, WR, 6-3, 187, Landry-Walker HS, New Orleans, LA, Committed on 2/4/17

Clayton Tune, QB, 6-2, 188, Hebron HS, Carrollton, TX, Committed on 2/4/17

Anthony Williams, RB, 5-8, 165, Hahnville HS, Boutte, LA, Committed on 2/4/17

• Had a good weekend excited for these next few years.

• @kjayhawks said:

Had a good weekend excited for these next few years.

This was not a good weekend. This was a great weekend for KU football. I think KU has a pretty good shot at landing at least 2 more kids out of Louisiana. There’s a pair of teammates from Warren Easton where Tony Hull coached before KU that KU has their eyes on. Both are 3 star players, one is a WR and the other is a CB.

This might legitimately be the best recruiting weekend KU football has ever had.

• As of today (February 5, 2017), KU has the 9th ranked class in the country according to 247. I’m only mentioning that now because it’ll likely drop as the year goes on, but to see KU football in the top 10 for football recruiting at any point is just insane.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 very true, hopefully they stay committed. Let’s win some more games this fall to help!!

• @Texas-Hawk-10

Dang…and I mean DANG!!! KU is finally on the right road to respectability.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 HA I posted the exact same thing in the other thread before I read this lol. - Would be really good if we could hold these guys - -and build off all this, maybe not a top 1`0 obviously - -BUT dam get a top 25-30 class would be outstanding compared to yrs past. - - You know we start getting some of these players, it’s going to make other really good players at least take notice, take a look, wondering, think - -HEY whz going on over at KU - -maybe want to come a be a part of the re-birth of KU football. - I know those two said Lee played a big part in their decision, his playing time and the success he had - - All I can say is - - -HELL YA, JUMPIN – -GEE – HOOSA - -FATS - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Coach Hull in pretty good company.

2018 Recruiter Rankings

Powered by 247Sports Composite

Name        Team

1  Brent Pry     Penn State
        2  Tony Hull    Kansas
        3  Mike Rumph     Miami
        4  Corey Raymond      LSU
        5  Jeff Banks      Texas A&M
        6  Ricky Rahne       Penn State
        7  Mike Elston       Notre Dame
        8  Emmett Jones      Texas Tech
        9  Odell Haggins      Florida State
       10  Josh Gattis      Penn State

• KU and Beaty need to do everything in their power to keep Tony Hull because as long as he’s at KU, that pipeline KU now has into New Orleans is going to stay open until for KU until Hull is no longer here. Louisiana is just an entirely different culture from the rest of the country and these guys aren’t joking about the family atmosphere having a huge influence on their decisions. I know @wissox and anyone else including myself who have spent a significant portion of time in Louisiana will 100% back up this claim about the loyalty of Louisiana people being accurate and Hull has the loyalty of HS coaches and players all over the New Orleans area specifically.

Landing Tyriek Starks was the beginning. The connection with Hull was made during this recruitment because Starks played at Warren Easton under Hull. Reggie Mitchell then leaves for Arkansas and KU has a need for a new RB coach. Beaty takes a calculated risk by bringing in Hull in an attempt to get some players out of Louisiana. Almost immediately, Hull gets commitments from Mike Lee and Malik Clark (Clark is also from Warren Easton) and then gets Lee to enroll a year early at KU. In his 1st year, Hull also lands Travis Jordan and Takulve Williams both from the New Orleans area as well. In a little over a year on the job, Hull brings in 4 Louisiana players, one of whom gets a chance to play early. Getting players from Louisiana to visit KU is a big enough deal which hiring Hull allowed KU to at least talk to players in Louisiana. Seeing Mike Lee emerge on the scene however is a game changer for KU in Louisiana. Without the success Mike Lee had last year, KU does not land any of the Louisiana recruits that committed yesterday, at least not early like they did. They probably go home and tell their younger teammates about how nice KU is and that keeps the line of communication open with Louisiana prospects for Tony Hull. Lee’s success is a game changer because it shows these kids that they can come in and be successful very early on at KU instead of having to sit and wait behind other 4 and 5 star guys at LSU.

If Daylon Charlot comes in and has early success and if Tyriek Starks wins the QB job, the floodgates will be fully open for KU to talk to any recruit in Louisiana they want to and to have a legitimate chance to sign those players as well.

What KU did yesterday in getting commitments from Jason and Harris (3rd and 4th best players in Louisiana with offers from LSU, Alabama, and basically everybody in the SEC) is something that has definitely caught a lot of people off guard including everyone who follows KU football. We knew Hull would allow KU to talk to some players out of Louisiana, but to actually land commitments from players the caliber of Jason and Harris is something I don’t even think Tony Hull thought was possible at this stage in the game.

Don’t be surprised to see KU land possibly 3, maybe even more recruits out of Louisiana this year. Warren Easton has a couple of 3 star prospects who we know Hull has a relationship with and there’s a DE out of Baton Rouge that KU is the favorite to land.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 awesome!

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Thanks again for keeping tabs on KU football recruiting and posting it. We are very fortunate to have fans who are willing to share their knowledge and research about recruiting for us.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said:

Don’t be surprised to see KU land possibly 3, maybe even more recruits out of Louisiana this year. Warren Easton has a couple of 3 star prospects who we know Hull has a relationship with and there’s a DE out of Baton Rouge that KU is the favorite to land.

Man…if KU becomes the school for Louisiana talent the sky is the limit.

• The importance of making sure these guys stay committed cannot be overstated.

LSU will be calling. Alabama will be calling. The entire SEC will be knocking on the door. KU has to get these guys on campus.

But even more than that, the importance of having these guys verbal to KU is a message to other HS players that what is happening in Lawrence is legit. Guys with actual talent actually want to go to KU. That’s significant not only in recruiting in the hotbeds, but also in recruiting talent from the Kansas City area. This says that KU is back in the game.

• @justanotherfan All the 4 star guys already have those offers amd still chose KU. Jason and Harris were committed to LSU last summer before decommiting after the coaching change. I’m not too concerned with losing them. Tune is the guy I’m more concerned with because he doesn’t have the big offers yet, only interest.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

I agree. The only thing that worries me with those Louisiana kids is that staying home and playing for the Tigers is a big thing down there. I think having Hull here makes that less of an issue, but it’s still something that means a lot to family, friends, etc.

And it’s not like if Alabama calls, those kids won’t answer the phone.

• @justanotherfan

Alabama gets 4 stars to grayshirt apparently.

• Gone crootin

• @justanotherfan I agree with you on keeping these kids. Like I stated earlier, now is when we find out about these players just really for sure how strong their bond is with Coach hull. - -I seen it mentioned multiple times, that these players look to Coach Hull as a father figure, how long they had known him.- - This guy is worth a million,Mike Lee is so valuable for us we have an open door to Louisiana right now. We shall see how strong of bond, these guys rally have. - -There is going to be an in-believable amount of pressure put on them from LSU - -Alabama Oklahoma - -all the big boys. - -We have just stepped into unchartered waters for us, we got down off the porch and runnin with the big boys, NOW we have to make sure we keep our big boy pants on and keep these studs sold on our program, we can’t let up - -have to keep in constant contact with them.

Just because they gave us hard verbals doesn’t mean we can now take the approach and say well we already have them and leave them in silence - -it’s right at a year before we can get them aboard on paper - -time to ROCK. - - - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @BShark

Love CCR… 😄

• @justanotherfan Here’s the thing with Corione Harris and Devonta Jason. They were previously committed to LSU and both decommitted from there. They both already had offers from Alabama so Alabama has already called them. Those two still chose KU after being committed to LSU and having had Alabama offer them. Another huge factor in KU’s favor is those two were HS teammates of Mike Lee who helped sell both of them on KU. I’m legitimately not very concerned about KU losing either one of those two players because of that connection.

• I don’t have time to update at this moment, but KU landed another Louisiana kid today. A 3 star DT so I’ll update that later tonight.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 he is Nelson Jenkins. out of plaqueminela Louisiana, 6’4 280 lbs defensive tackle.- -was listed as a 100% CB pick. - he had listed LSU< OU & Alabama. - - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Hasn’t even visited LOL this staff is on a roll.

• It is Nelson Jenkins I was referring to. I was sitting in line at a drive thru so I didn’t have time to post details. Jenkins is the 7th commitment for KU in 2018 so far and the 6th from Louisiana. Jenkins was actually not part of the group that was up for junior days and made his commitment without even taking an unofficial visit to KU. It was all word of mouth with the others who committed and Tony Hull is probably the early favorite to win the Broyles Award this year at this point for the efforts he’s putting into cleaning house in Louisiana for the Jayhawks.

• This is all phenomenal work from the staff. If their work on the field is half as good as the work on the recruiting trail, we may threaten for a bowl this season.

Okay, deep breath. Don’t want to run too far ahead.

This is awesome though, and could lead to some really big things. KU is getting the type of athletes needed to compete with Oklahoma, OSU, Baylor, etc. Granted, they won’t have this group on campus for another year, but it is a huge step in the right direction. If Beaty gets to four wins this year, I would be all for giving him a two year extension, as well as making sure that Hull gets paid what is necessary to keep him in crimson and blue.

• @justanotherfan Well they did just extend , Beaty’s contract not to long ago. Have to agree with you for sure , again just have to say this over and over, the thing will be to keep these kids committed to their verbals- -this is going to be a LONG SUMMER before next signing rolls around. - -we have to go through their Senior football campaigns and these big dogs at going to hit them hard - -hopefully their bond with Hull will with stand the pressure. – ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• jumpin - -gee - -hoosa - -fats - -went back off the Louisiana boards, was watching Williams ( pooka ) he has been timed at a 4.27 forty - -that’s fast, and it shows in his highlights - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @justanotherfan Hold on to Hull for dear life. Recruiting another football state besides Texas is hands down one of the most valuable things we have going for us right now.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 RB Coach Tony Hull also now Associate HC. HC Beatty says his recruiting prowess speaks for itself. Hope that includes more money as all the titles don’t put food on the table.

• hmmm, ummmm, - -kind of funny - -just got off a site - -sound like some school to the West down the inner-state getting ready to wet all over themselves. - Can’t understand WHY the # 6 WR would ever wanted to come play for a mess like us lol., the another hmmmm, all these recruits all of a sudden want to go to that hole KU calls a stadium their fiacilities - -something fishy going on - -lmao - -can you say PARANOIA gotta love it, you think some one seeing the writing on the wall things about to change - - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54

K-State lives in a constant delusion. They believe that they are a power program when they have never been, nationally at least, anything more than a conference contender. Outside of the midwest, no one regards KSU as a football school. They aren’t seen as any sort of national contender or big time team.

KU has always had two major advantages to KSU in football recruiting.

1. Proximity to Kansas City. Recruits at least know what Kansas City is and are familiar with the Royals, Chiefs, etc. That’s much more attractive than KSU or even Mizzou.

2. Nationally recognized athletic program. Yeah, it’s basketball, but KU has a national brand that KSU just can’t match. You say Wildcats and people think Kentucky or Arizona before they think K-State. Even if you say purple Wildcats, people are just as likely (probably more likely) to say Northwestern as KSU. Because Snyder refused to step up his scheduling until recently, KSU missed the opportunity in the mid to late 90’s and early 2000’s to get more nationally televised games in the non-con. As a result, even when KSU was really good, they were only on TV outside of Kansas a couple times a year.

Those two factors make a huge difference when you look at the two programs and, as I have said before, if KU can ever right the ship with football consistently, it’s likely that K-State’s program falls off fairly quickly, especially since Snyder will likely retire if KSU’s edge over KU shrinks even a little bit.

The tide hasn’t turned yet, but this recruiting class definitely has the wind howling.

• @justanotherfan Very very true, My brother and I had fun with some - -ask them if they heard that sound? - -I said I think it was Synder telling them — ooops time to retire, I think I left the gate open and Bessy got out lmao, - -especially when he heard about Ku’s upswing lol - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Great Move by KU to give Hull a raise and promotion.

LSU fired their RB’s coach and this move by KU was very smart to avoid him bolting. Imagine all those Louisiana guys know seeing Hull at LSU…

• Props to The KU athletic dept, Props to Coach Beaty - -& props to Coach Hull for being Coach Hull. - -I read that we came within an eyelash of landing another huge recruit out of Louisiana I think his name was Brad Stewart maybe, he said he was real close to signing with JU before he signed with Florida- - I think If I remember right he is a 5 star linebacker. - - Nothing but positive things coming from hiring of coach Hull. – man wish I could go from 150,000 a year to 400,000 a year would be sweet. - -Hell wish I could make 150,000 a year lol - -ROCK CHALK ALLD AY LONG BABY

• This just came across…

image.png

• @JayHawkFanToo I love this. It won’t last. But a top 25 recruiting class after a 2 win season would be amazing. And really speak to what Beaty is doing.

Recruits have a funny way of know what is bullshit and what isn’t. Weiss came in and had more to work with than Beaty did. But somehow Beaty is able to sell some of these guys on the dream. On being apart of something that is going to be bigger than they are. I think we really did find the right guy to lead our program.

• @JayHawkFanToo WOAAAAAA, how did we move up my friend, we haven’t added anymore after bing rank 9th - -whaaa happened lol. – Like said it won’t stay that way & you know I would be perfectly happy right now if we finished anywhere from 10-20 in the Nation, would still kick any other recruiting class I can remember for anytime, would kick any other right square in the butt, we say it won’t last BUT wouldn’t it be AWSOME and also funny as hel for other schools if we could keep that. Just think we add any other top recruits, might have a shot of staying maybe in the top 10 - -that would be AWSOME - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @Kcmatt7 hey my friend, not sure whz up I look here at your 247 team rankings and YES they show us at # 6 in the nation - But the chart here on commits shows us with 7 commits, but I just looked of 247 and the charts shows us with 8 - -so did we just pick up another commit? - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• HEY hell ya - - just answered my own question. - -We picked up our EIGHT recuit. - - his name is Cortez Crook Jones - -a THREE star Defensive End out of Grand view Missouri 6’4 230, so maybe that’s why we moved up. - -this has me so jacked - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @JayHawkFanToo Rivals now has us rated as the FIFTH best recruiting calls and 247 has us SIXTH this is absolutely nuts and I’m loving it - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54

As @Kcmatt7 mentioned it is still early and once the big boys get done KU will probably drop some or a lot. Most programs will typically pick between 20 and 30 players per class so we are one third into the recruitment, it so happens that KU picked up some quality players early. When it is all done, I would be delighted if we are in the top 25.

• @JayHawkFanToo YA and I have no doubt we are going to lose some for sure, I mean that’s just being realistic - -BUT if we can hold fort not let it get out of control. - -Just really fired up, hard not too lol. we going to lose some, but like you say we going to add some and unless we have a 90-100 % de-commit I can’t imagine the bottom dropping out & like you say even if we end up having a top 25 class - -when is the last time we seen that? - -We go out and produce with that top 25 class, then things can only get better I feel – ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54 said:

HEY hell ya - - just answered my own question. - -We picked up our EIGHT recuit. - - his name is Cortez Crook Jones - -a THREE star Defensive End out of Grand view Missouri 6’4 230, so maybe that’s why we moved up. - -this has me so jacked - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Jumping Jehoshaphat this staff is on a roll.

• @BShark LMAO, exactly, you got it down lol. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54

I think KU recruits are solid and I don’t believe we will lose any; however KU needs to pick up st least 15-20 additional players to complete the class. If KU can pick up more recruits that are at least 3 star then it should be a great class but that is a tall order. I imagine KU will pick up an assortment of players ranging from 3 star to non ranked. Regardless, this has the look of a solid recruiting class and a big step in the right direction for the program.

• The only commit I have any concerns about flipping between now and December or February (there’s a new rule proposal that could allow all kids to sign in December) is QB Clayton Tune. I’m not concerned about any of the Louisiana kids flipping unless Hull gets a HC offer somewhere. Tune however did not have any other offers yet, but was drawing interest from UT, TAMU, and OU who could be possibilities to flip Tune if the decide to offer him.

• Well was checking the various sites before I retire and found out 247 sports has now moved us up to the # FOUR ranked recruiting class in the Nation – Sounds good, time will tell how it all turns out. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• While KU recruiting successes are being discussed nationally, I hope our staff is actively pursuing other highly ranked recruits who formerly were considered outside our scope of commitment. Right now is the time to land more top recruits for key positions. As our recruiting wave continues to rise, other recruits are aware of the groundswell of success and will be ready to join. I look for the KU staff to continue to land big names, perhaps even to add to the 2017 class.

• Crook Jones is in some ways just as big a recruiting coup as the Louisiana kids. KU has to recruit the Kansas City area to be successful. They obviously have to also do well in other areas, but they must do well in KC to succeed because that is their “home” recruiting base, along with Wichita.

The 2017 class had a couple kids from Wichita, but KU was basically shut out in the KC area. They don’t have any Wichita kids yet in this class, but they have landed a KC kid now. It’s important to keep KC and Wichita locked down because that is how KU will continue to grow as a program, locking down the home base, and doing well in Texas/Louisiana.

Crook Jones is also pretty athletic. He’s a pretty solid basketball player as well as (obviously) excelling on the football field. I always like seeing really athletic guys because that suggests an ability to adapt because they have more physical skills to draw on (good hands, coordination, quickness, explosive leaping, etc).