KU vs Octagon of Tang Doom Game Chat.

• SCORING GUARD VS PASSING GUARD

I know what half of you are saying… why can’t we get both? To some degree… we can. However, if you get a guard who focuses on passing, his scoring will suffer. You’re asking him to emphasize two things at the same time.

If Juan would just take most of those wide-open shots, we would all be happy. He’s not a bull-nose Frank Mason. But think back, Frank didn’t average nearly as high assists.

Juan needs to take all of those wide-open treys. His trey % is good. And then, he also needs to take some of those mid-range floaters again. Or even better, he needs to stop his drive and take a pull-up jump shot.

If he does these two things, he’ll be respected more for his shot and guarded closer. Even though it sounds good, like it will free up someone else, if he is guarded closer he might drop his assist numbers a bit.

There is a happy medium to be found… we all just know he has to take what the defense gives!

• @nuleafjhawk the refs were terrible for sure but had zero to do with our play. KJ missed a few bunnies, Kevin missed free throws, bunnies and open 3s. Furphy was a freshman on the road. I have very little complaints on Juan and Hunters game.

• @nuleafjhawk I know we shouldn’t, but when we have a chance to tie the game and they miss a lane violation how can you not say that wasn’t a big call? As bad as we played, we still have not benefitted in these losses from a fair whistle. They go together in my mind.

• @drgnslayr great post - this is what I’ve been saying all year. Bench sucks the 5th yr sr needs to step up and score more. There’s a reason when he scores double digits we are like 27-2 or something stupid.

I’d rather have a Frank but Juan is more than enough when he looks to score just half the time.

Juan can’t beat his man off the dribble which is why we don’t get many dump offs to Hunter or kj for dunks. Juan does play the pnr great when he’s aggressive to take the 3 and make the defense commit then the next time down he hits kj with that nasty pass for a dunk.

• @wissox I didn’t say that wasn’t a big call. But since the beginning of time, the losing team in any sport has blamed the officiating. Just win. Then there’s nothing to complain about.

• @wissox I don’t believe Kevin misses because of the lane violation. Just make the free throw and it removes the refs from the equation.

• Hate complaining about the refs but we had a lot of bad calls go against us in the late part of the game. It definitely makes a difference, even just on momentum which is a huge thing. The foul on Hunter during the trap that the announcers were saying was a bit of a stretch followed very closely to the out of bounds call where they said Juan touched it but clearly didn’t. The lane violation was another. It adds up.

Regarding Juan - if he was more of a scoring threat it would open up the rest of the team. Whether it be on drives or pulling defender out farther on the three point line. Stats are one thing but using the eye test there are many times i’m critical of him. Some bad turnovers. Drives where the shots are nowhere near close to going in off the backboard. Even Mason had his rough years with wild drives and suspect turnovers but he grew tremendously over the years and eliminated much of that. With how many years Juan has been in this role I would have expected a lot of this would be better than it is.

• The Jayhawks are not road warriors, more like road tail. If you can’t beat a bad team on the road no matter how bad a few calls are then you won’t go far. They are pushing into giant wuss territory.

The book is pretty well written. They will win all the remaining home games. Win maybe one more on the road. Win two in the big 12 tournament before flaming out. Win 1-3 games in the NCAA with one of the second/fourth games catching them.

Hope an editor comes along and rewrites the script.

• Never once in my complaining did I say the refs cost us the game. Calls were made as RockkChalkk pointed out that snowballed eliminating chances to affect a different outcome. Of course, we played like crap. Fatigue? Sure, maybe so. I don’t understand what it takes physically to play an NCAA basketball game. I do know that when I was in college I worked as a bricklayer laborer in the summers and would go home after an exhausting hot sweaty day and go to the park for an hour or two for basketball games. Way different but I think sometimes we overuse the fatigue excuse. Remember Wilt played an NBA season in which he averaged 48.5 minutes played per game.

• @wissox Wilt, bit of an outlier 😉

• No Devonte Graham, Frank Mason run thru a brick wall and keep sprinting types. Hunter could not keep up anyway. It’s a great starting 5, but zero bench production is killer. The team is somehow just as thin as last season.

• And Juan has a title…the higher scoring guys he is being wistfully compared to never even got there.

• @mayjay Oh boy here we go again with using a team accomplishment to prop up an individual especially Juan

He was saved from being the all time scapegoat with his bad court awareness when he stepped ob

And we’ve been through this a ton the true pg was the guy who produced more against creighton, saved us against providence and again against unc….it isn’t even close

He had an alley oop and two steals to start a comeback and then sat on the bench as remy saved the day

• @kuballin10 Starter on a national championship team means nothing to you I guess. Spare us your drivel. It’s tiresome. “we’ve been through this a ton” is something a parent tells a child who doesn’t listen very well, stop treating us like children.

• Juan had an alley-oop and two steals and Remy saved the day while we ate potato chips.

• This Remy vs Juan conversation reminds me of the old Sherron vs RusRob from 2008. Remy was absolutely huge in several games and we certainly don’t win a title without his scoring in the NC. Juando was pretty average that game but did make some plays. The stepping out of bounds was wild and Juan is the most hated player in Kansas history if we lost that one no question. Long story, it’s good to have more that one PG on the team.

• Folks if Bill Self had a room temperature IQ and started Remy all year and fired Juan into the sun we go 40-0 every year

• @wissox My apologies wasn’t trying to talk down to anyone or come across that way.

It has been discussed on every message board the juan-remy ncaa run that I thought most people understood

Just like Self said it’s who finishes not who starts….and everyone saw that second half especially who finished that Title!

• @kjayhawks Agreed….Juan was also a stud against nova along with Och and Big Dave

Remy was quiet that game

• @FarmerJayhawk Lol nah Remy whether injured or not didn’t do all the little things right that Juan excels at

Self values some small stuff but when crap hit the fan he played the better player and it paid off

• @kuballin10 said in KU vs Octagon of Tang Doom Game Chat.:

@RockkChalkk While I agree I’m ready for a stud scoring pg I will defend DeJuan as he was good last night

15/8 with 3 turnovers in that environment with Kevin, KJ and Furphy all unable to throw it in the ocean was a step up performance when guys were struggling

I always call out DeJuan but last night that L isn’t even close to being on him. Kev was atrocious and needs to heal up. I’d rather lose the big 12 and win the big 12 tourney and go to a final four than Kev pushes to play to win the regular season only to be broken down in March

@wissox - read this drivel on Juan with ksu….maybe it will shock you I can see his good and bad

Per the metrics Juan is around the 6th-7th best pg in the big 12 and honestly that sounds about right

• @kuballin10 Remy makes Wilt look like a scrub obvs

• No doubt Juan has the better hardware compared to the others. But nobody is really saying they’d rather have him than a first team all american (or second team for Dotson). Right? I love this team and support them like crazy but i’m not just a blind homer. Juan has some big games here and there but reality is that there are also many limitations he has that the team has to overcome to win. He’s the best we have though so we have to support him as our guy.

In addition to the stepping out of bounds in the NC, didn’t he also get a 10 second call on him as he slowly walked the ball up with no pressure on him?