KU vs UCF Game Chat

• Coach said after the game hunters knee was bruised and bothering him. That’s why he sat out longer than usual. Probably why the zone offense wasn’t working as great!

• @approxinfinity looks like circulation is down. Yer gonna have to run a 2 for 1 special. Do us all a favor and don’t run the advertising promotions on “that other board.” That’s really fulla Ds.:)

This is the kinder, gentler board!

• @rockchalkjayhawk

My grand daughter said I was kind but I think that meant easy.

• WOW just now able to get to my relaxation room for the day ,What the HELL HAPPENED ? ii’m not posting on this thread, think enough has already been said. Like I said time to move on, you can’t change the past, you can only determine the future - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• It’s all my fault. I said we’d have to play like the Topeka YMCA year to lose and sure enough it came true. Its right there in the first post. Shame on me. Call me names, I deserve it.

• @BeddieKU23 Buttmunch. 🤣

• Elmarko with a -16 +/-…I honestly thought it was worse. He’s a shell of a player right now

• The entire momentum changed when HD went to bench with two fouls and KU up by 16 with 3 some mins left in first half.

Players got lackadaisical and made few dumb plays and all of a sudden lead got cut to 8.

I thought as UCF was scoring Self should have taken a timeout but instead, he let them play while trusting that they will make stops.

• @BeddieKU23 said in KU vs UCF Game Chat:

Its right there in the first post. Shame on me.

I did make the correlation, but I was afraid to mention it for fear some of the angry townspeople would be gathering feathers and heating up some tar.

• @rockchalkjayhawk we have discussed trying to recruit some more good folk on occasion in the past but I think the next great additions to our fold may already be reading and not participating yet. Thats happened numerous times.

• What a perplexing game. At one point, I really thought I had entered another dimension… something from the Twilight Zone. I can understand most road losses. But this one… UCF is bad. And they didn’t have one of those “miracle games” where a player or two went off for 30 on 75% trey shooting.

I thought we did show up for this game… especially after running out to a 16-point lead. Then what happened? We went soft. And with every soft possession, we lost momentum while UCF gained momentum. That was like watching a game played between turtles.

Where was the team that played UCONN tough for 40 minutes? Hunter had a bruised knee… so… Hunter and all of our guys are going to face nicks during the season. We just went soft. We need more from Juan. In previous years he never really had to be the general of the team, but he needs to be the general now. It is one of the duties of being a PG.

What does that entail? Communication. Cheerleading. Hustling. Directing.

Our bench wasn’t great in this game but our bench was about as good as our starting 4 we count on. I’m talking about AFTER our 16-point lead… when we lost composure and never got it back again.

Hopefully, this will be the “chip” we need to finally buckle down every game. I don’t believe this was a trap game. There are signs of this being a regular occurrence if we don’t make significant change. I mentioned before that I could see us losing up to 3 of our first 10 games. I’m adjusting that to 4+ unless we make changes.

PLAYING SOFT:

OFFENSE: Our guys do everything they can to avoid contact. Contact is a part of basketball, and if you don’t realize that at this level… wow! We shot few free throws on a poor team. Our offense only hummed in the open court, free of contact. When it came down to half-court offense, it sputtered and half the time lead to turnovers as UCF would turn up the heat as the shot clock wound down. Only Kevin, on rare occasion, would drive the ball hard. We need our guys to drive the ball hard and put their chests into contact. Yes, UCF has a reputation for blocked shots. So what. Draw contact and get to the FT line. KJ should become a prime weapon for driving hard… not just when he sees a clear path for a dunk. Juan… same.

DEFENSE: UCF drove at will. Every single player on that team was able to turn the corner on our defense. Pathetic. And that’s not how we played UCONN so I know we should expect more! UCF did not have much of an offense, and we never disrupted their flow. Jet lag? Playing in a weird place? We should have forced more TOs leading to runouts. It wouldn’t have taken many more to make this game a “W.”

I hope this is like the UK beat down we took a couple of years ago and we respond. I’m not certain of it…

• @drgnslayr Would your wife have a particular “P” word for this team?😉

• @nuleafjhawk

lol

Ex-wife now!

I don’t think these guys are “P’s.” I think they just need more cheerleading within the team.

Typically… we see plenty of cheer leading when we are kicking other teams’ butts… but when do we see it when we struggle?

Remember back in the Jaybate days? Mezo ball?

If our guys were playing for their lives… would this have been the result?

We need a chip. Something to motivate them to buckle down.

• I’m pretty disappointed in our guards all around but especially defensively. Kevin, Juan and Elmarko can’t stop the dribble drive for 2 that are supposed to be elite defenders. I’m not impressed so far this season. Offensively it’s starts with Juan and Elmarko. Hunter and KJ can’t get clean touches because the defense has 2 guys that don’t have to be guarded. They have high turnover numbers recently because they both look scared to shoot the ball. Gonna have to get aggressive and make teams respect and guard you, period.

• @drgnslayr I’m very sorry about the “ex” part. Drgn - I had no idea!

• Snow day. So I should be sleeping, but when you wake up and think you’re going to work, and then you’re not, you kind of get woke right away!

My tendency is when things go south during a game and then after is to just stop commenting. In the old days of newspapers I wouldn’t read the story of the game. I still haven’t watched video of our loss to Syracuse in 03, or UW’s loss to Duke in 15, the Villanova beatdown in 18, etc.

I see someone showed up, kudos to @approxinfinity again for his paroling of him, but I guess he got irksome again. I just hate the piling on of guys during a bad game. I’m sure i’ve been guilty of this like 1.2k times but the thought of writing a description of a kid with the F word and you realize he’s 18-19 years old is just beyond sanity. I’m slightly OK with it when you’re an overly compensated professional and you’re just mailing it in day after day, but even then, we as fans don’t know anything about what’s going on with the player. Was HD’s knee hurting bad enough that he didn’t want to play but coach said give it a try? Or was he making an excuse? (I doubt it). Do we win with a normally healthy HD? Without having seen the game (grr…ESPN) maybe we do win. We do know we’re kind of thin on the bench and even with finding a 5th starter. The alleged rape charge against the Texas kid has certainly changed us from a solid contender to a possible FF type team ceiling.

Not sure if anyone noticed, we weren’t the only top 10 team to struggle this week. Odd times in NCAA basketball. In a way it was kind of funny to watch KU fans mock Houston “you’re playing in a real league now”. Maybe our loss was karma! I do think our loss was the worst of those top 10 losses.

Ranking our bad losses? This is right up there! TCU game “Topeka Y could’ve beat us” is the standard bearer I think. Somehow we lost at home to Oral Roberts a while ago.

One thing I know, Saturday a good OU team comes in to AFH and Bill Self will have this team ready to send them back down I-35 with a 2 game losing streak.

• @wissox I agree we don’t need need to be spewing the "F’ word around. In my “regular” life I try to watch my mouth, but I slip up sometimes.

The thing is, on an anonymous forum, it’s a little easier to let your guard down. Add in the great frustration of watching your favorite team look like a bunch of bumbling idiots and its easier to let curse words fly. I’m sure it’s regretted after the fact.

We definitely DO need to stop personal verbal attacks on players and coaches. They are trying their best. Pretty sure they don’t want to look like morons in front of the whole world. Sometimes you have a bad day.

Great expectations can bring great disappointment

• @nuleafjhawk everyone just had a bad night everyone needs to wash the hands with it and move forward. Hopefully today we have a more enjoyable game.

• Game chat is and always has been toxic. A lot of insecurities laid bare.

• I am another one that needs to apologize, mostly right during game time my crimson & blue blood get flowing-- and gets boiling when things don’t work out. I get out of hand making some posts probably don’t need to be said. I mean it’s not like the guys woke up on a game day morning and said to themselves - - - -Self let’s go out and really play a horrible game today.

There are factors to consider , # 1 like has been stated before , sure it seems obvious to us but this is why they play the game, roll the ball out and say let’s go, you just never know. I mean sure we all thought this was a given , we were suppose to win and win big. I think there are people here me included that this game should be easier, and I think whether people want to admit or not it’s ok I think a lot of people were basing this of what our little friends in Manhattan had done against this same group. When things got bad then we lashed out – was it legit ? or frustration ? as KU fans logically or not we NEVER want KU to lose, this just doesn’t happen very often and we have gotten spoiled , and spoiled rotten by the winning , and yet like I said there were things to consider, UCF had just gotten their butts kicked the game before , it was a road game for us and we all know how hard it is to win on the road in the Big 12 , then we have the IT’S THE KU FACTOR going against us, we are everybody’s GAME OF THE YEAR going against us. This just shows even the best can take it on the chin once and a while.

Just remember guys these guys do try, maybe not as good sometimes , but they aren’t trying to lose, a lot of things go into a game, bad calls , on the road , being KU , the opponent looking bad the game before , playing a constantly high ranked team, and you just never know from game to game, Having said all of this I will say this ONE THING we have just got to take care of the ball better.

Again I apologize even in advance for todays game, I’ll admit I just get to wrapped up game days and if it turns bad - -I act like an idiot some times, so on to today’s and let’s do this – -ROCK CHALK

• I am sorry if I have offended anyone. I want to commiserate with fellow fans when someone does boneheaded plays because I want the team to always play their best. I want the team to show they are the best in the land and hope that their conditioning and understanding of Bill’s vision and their dietary choices and their life situation is allowing them to focus on the reason they chose to come to Kansas to play in the 1st place. I get passionate and express that frustration openly with likeminded individuals. I will refrain from doing so in the future, since I understand it is frowned upon. I will observe in the background. Rock Chalk!

• Meanwhile… back at the ranch…

Is UCF for real?

Going down to Austin and spanking Texas… wow!

Even though we lost to UCF, might they become our buddies this year by pulling upsets all over the place?

I guess Terry doesn’t hold them in esteem… Ghees… Terry… let it go, man!

https://www.si.com/college/2024/01/18/texas-basketball-coach-slams-ucf-players-for-classless-horns-down-gesture?fbclid=IwAR3dqKYX_u0mERbdaimQAY-BEHfQlqof_ImokdD2-8URN3FHmqbOQGsQ9Rs

• @patoh3

Don’t fret it! Offend someone! That is when you know you are pushing some theoretic boundaries!

I can’t think of a single regular poster in here I haven’t offended at one time or another!

This website will become total milk toast if we don’t embrace differences in opinions!

• @drgnslayr said in KU vs UCF Game Chat:

Meanwhile… back at the ranch…

Is UCF for real?

Going down to Austin and spanking Texas… wow!

Even though we lost to UCF, might they become our buddies this year by pulling upsets all over the place?

I guess Terry doesn’t hold them in esteem… Ghees… Terry… let it go, man!

https://www.si.com/college/2024/01/18/texas-basketball-coach-slams-ucf-players-for-classless-horns-down-gesture?fbclid=IwAR3dqKYX_u0mERbdaimQAY-BEHfQlqof_ImokdD2-8URN3FHmqbOQGsQ9Rs

Thing is Terry is getting grilled by his own fans Texas fan base for whining about it, they pretty much saying all he has done is gonna make it a lot worse now, you gonna see horns down a lot more. You think you got it bad now people have been saying wait till you get into the SEC