BIG GAME!! The Students Are There, We Should Talk

• I sense some dread from the faithful bucketeers in the crowd. I’m always confident in big home games that we’ll pull through. Put this game in Storrs? I’m on the dread side.

I can’t tell you one thing about UConn except they love to remind us (as they should) that they’ve won an inordinate number of championships this century. I think they’ve caught the field in some down years I think. Last year they got Miami (not of Ohio), FAOUIEFL, and SDuStCAL in the final four so you know anyone who got there could have won that tournament…including us of course. In 2014 they got to play an 8 seed in the final Kentucky, sadly there because they’d upset the Badgers when (excuse me) ‘we’ missed a FT which led to a Harrison buzzer beating three. In 2011 well we got Shaka’d and we’d have been the hands down fav in that final four. So UConn also played an 8 seed Butler in the final that year meaning their last three titles were against an 8, an 8 and a 5 SDS. I mean kudos to the Huskies but talk about being good enough at the right time! In 2004, they did knock off 1 seed Duke in the FF, then beat 3 seed Georgia Tech which had beaten us in OT. So that’s an 8,8,5,3 in the final. That was a really good UConn team with Okafor and Ben Gordon leading the way. In 1999 UConn was really good with Richard Hamilton and it was a really good field but they did have 10 seed Gonzaga in the Elite 8, but then had to face the only 4 seed in the FF Ohio State. The others Duke, MSU were 1 seeds and UConn beat #1 seed Duke in a classic tournament, but in my research it was the only time in UConns 5 titles that they played a #1 seed.

So there you have it. It makes no difference tomorrow night but whenever I think of UCONN’s championships I’ve always had the impression that they were slightly less impressive. But still very impressive.

I’m plenty worried about tomorrow because of subpar performances against Marquette and even the other night. The experts are all down on DaJuan again but he’s my point guard. I have no clue really if they have an answer for Hunter, and I think KJ rises to occasions like this. We’ll need Kevin to be a defensive leader. We’ll need the young guys who I still don’t know well enough to comment on to do something that will make me know them better instead of worry that our bench is pretty dang weak.

Bill Self seems to rise to occasions like this and I’m gonna trust the GOAT.

• @wissox Great post, but I think Bill won’t really care W or L. He will just want to see what works against another high quality opponent…and what doesn’t. Great chance to scheme and teach the young’uns.

• Well tell you a little maybe help about tomorrow, as you know U Conn # 4 - – Ku # 5. — There is suppose to be at least 34 Pro Scouts at the game tomorrow night, that was the count as of Wednesday.

Step Castle their Freshman guard really good , is out / will not play recovering from a knee , but Alex Karaban & Tristan Newton both NBA prospects Newton has posted team leading three triple doubles.

Clingman is dam good, projected as an NBA Lottery pick, and they are saying that the Clingan and Dickinson match up will be or should be a good one to watch.

KU is going to have to play a hell of a lot better then they did the other night, these guys are really talented/good.- - They set a record the other night by winning their 24th straight Non Conference game by double digits -so there you go, maybe help you understand a little about U Conn.

I think Coach will have the players ready, - -the fans need to be reedy - -get loud - - get rowdy, let U Conn see why the Phog is no place opponents wanna play. - -Think the PHOG is gonna be thick - - The PHOG is gonna be rowdy - -The Phog is gonna be dangerous - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Had to edit some lol. Found a little more on U Conn. -They have eight players who average double digit minutes in the game , They have five players who are averaging double digit scoring ranging from the top 16.3- – to 14.5 , pretty balanced scoring. Clingman averages 15.0 per game but looks like just average rebounder at Six per game.

Looks like strong rebounding team though s they average 47.0 per game and they have been beating their opponents on the Season by a plus 28 points per.

• We’ll have to the play the opposite of Tuesday to win tonight. I’m sure Self lit a fire into this group in the last 2 days.

Big game, we usually rise to the occasion especially at home. I would be a bit surprised if we win tonight but I’m hopeful they do.

• Don’t feel good about this one

• @BShark I feel better about this one than the last one. If EIU didn’t light a fire under their arses then this season is going to be a big waste. I’m looking for us to kick butt and take names tonight.

• @nuleafjhawk

Even if it does light a fire and even if the Allen Fieldhouse has an impact it may not compensate for the fact Uconn looks the better team, they look further along in Chemistry and Level of play so far.

This is their first true road game though & UConn has not faced as many good teams as KU has already. We’ll see. Hopefully the guys and Self find a way

• @BShark You never feel good about big games, do you? 🙂

• @wissox

Reverse good luck charm

• I’m skeptical because of our play up to now this year. Our defense has been horrible. So we don’t score off our defense and we are in a race to outscore opponents. Our half-court offense is based on Hunter scoring, and that’s about it, with Kevin having some bright moments, mostly when he creates offense off his defense.

I have ultimate respect for Coach Self, but I’m not buying into some of his current excuses. Our guys are young athletes in shape, and having several days rest should be enough to be well-rested. Mentioning that Juan hasn’t adjusted yet to not having Ochai or Christian (from 2 years ago) is giving Juan a soft excuse to not press hard. Our great assist numbers are misleading. With Hunter in the middle it just allows to spread out the defense and always find an open shooter… this creates great assist numbers but doesn’t guarantee always great offensive success. When we don’t hit outside shots and we don’t score off our defense, we rely too much on Hunter carrying the load. Juan needs to be more aggressive… more aggressive driving the paint (leading to his own shot or shot for others) and also taking more three-point shots so we have another deep threat.

It’s still early in the season so there is hope, but at this particular moment in time, I’m not seeing a Top 10 team. Beating a young Kentucky team minus their big men, or a Tennessee team that often looks more like a Top 100 team than a Top 10 team, is not assuring me this team deserves a high ranking. Our last game was an eye-opener and claiming we are tired when EIU had to travel into Lawrence to play the game is not a sufficient excuse.

Maybe I’m being harsh… though harshness is what these guys need as a catalyst to take the next step. Soft play now just exposes all our weaknesses on this team; weak bench, weak perimeter scoring, weak guards capable of creating their own offense, major holes in defense. Did I leave out anything? But seriously… if we play inspired basketball, lift our energy up (considerably), things will change! Juan and Kevin are top-notch defenders, and KJ and Hunter should be able to hold their own, and the other mystery spot should be covered okay via several players.

This is a team that can mold into a late March team but I doubt it will happen without taking on some major poundings first and UCONN may give us our second beat-down comparable (or worse) than our humiliating loss to Marquette.

I hope our guys prove me wrong tonight and take a big leap forward!

• KU needs to bring it tonight since they were looking ahead on Tuesday night.

• Im sure we will go hard and run better offense. This is a game we should try hard to win.

• I stopped watching the NCAAs last season after KU lost. So, didn’t catch UConn at all.

I recall being surprised they won the title though.

That being said, I don’t know their strengths and weaknesses. So far y’all don’t seem optimistic about our chances. What do they do well? Small team, big team?

I give us a fighting most nights vs anybody.

• Stupid Michael would straight shit the bed on this one. DynamiteHawk would need to hide yo kids and yo spouse.

It’s a fun big game in the moment, but it won’t matter much in the grand scheme of things. Who is UConn to KU? Just another good team on a list of good teams KU has played. We are bigger than this moment…I almost forgot it was game day.

• @rockchalkjayhawk

They have a very good 7 footer so someone to legitimately give Hunter a hard time down low. They brought back a few other key starters from the title team, added a guard transfer from Rutgers that has fit well and is scoring for them. They play hard, they know what they are doing and I don’t see too many weaknesses from them considering all the talent that did leave from that title squad. They also have a very good freshman that he has been hurt but apparently will return tonight and he’s a projected lottery pick so far.

All to say, they have an equal to better roster with legitimate NBA talent at guard and in the post. It’s a tough matchup

• @BeddieKU23 said in BIG GAME!! The Students Are There, We Should Talk:

@rockchalkjayhawk

They have a very good 7 footer so someone to legitimately give Hunter a hard time down low. They brought back a few other key starters from the title team, added a guard transfer from Rutgers that has fit well and is scoring for them. They play hard, they know what they are doing and I don’t see too many weaknesses from them considering all the talent that did leave from that title squad. They also have a very good freshman that he has been hurt but apparently will return tonight and he’s a projected lottery pick so far.

All to say, they have an equal to better roster with legitimate NBA talent at guard and in the post. It’s a tough matchup

No , Hurly said Castle will not play tonight said probably Tuesday in the Garden but not tonight. - -Well at least that’s what he said in his press conference I listened to yesterday. - -They are worried about getting their big 7 footer in touble brininging him out on the floor to guard-- but yet he is a lottry pick. – Gonna be a war

• Juan of course needs to drive and dish (which is what he always does) but he also needs to SHOOT - it can’t all be Hunter and Kevin tonite trying to create offense.

• To all who are driving home late tonight, there is a dense fog warning - beware the Phog

• UConn is scary good but game being in AFH I like our chances.

• UCONN Has beat Indiana and Texas nearish to their home in Madison Square Garden. Other than that it’s not that impressive of a schedule.

Seeing that they haven’t been seriously challenged with that schedule makes me feel a little tad better. And we’ve both played Manhattan whom they only beat by 30 while we beatem by 39 so that’s good!

And, I’m not really ready to endure another loss to a Big East team. Hoping we can knock off their top dog tonight and Wisconsin can knock off their other top dog tomorrow.

• I’ll be wearing my lucky Jayhawks socks tonight, so I’m feeling pretty good.

• I like our chances. Everyone needs to amp up their defense a LOT though.

• @wissox said in BIG GAME!! The Students Are There, We Should Talk:

@BShark You never feel good about big games, do you? 🙂

True. Rebounding is my biggest concern. Weakness for us, strength for UConn.

• @BeddieKU23 said in BIG GAME!! The Students Are There, We Should Talk:

@rockchalkjayhawk

Thanks for the scoop @BeddieKU23

If there’s another 7 footer on the floor, some of the quickness concerns go out the door for me. whew. i hope.

• I think the key is how we use Hunter tonight. If their footer isn’t fast, maybe it’s a night where Hunter gets several 3-pt shots. If he’s hot, keep with it. Otherwise… maybe we go down low and Hunter tries to draw fouls.

I’m expecting them to play quality perimeter defense. Someone for KU HAS TO DRIVE THE BALL! Kevin has really stepped up this year on his driving… I’m not sure of the guard matchups, but it will probably determine who needs to do what.

Go HAWKS!

• @rockchalkjayhawk

Clingan is more athletic then Hunter at 7’2 and has better lateral movement as well. He can run the floor on the fast break at times as well so it’s something to watch. He’s also a threat defensively at the rim. Tough matchup for both our bigs tonight

• @BeddieKU23 can he hit 3’s?

• @nuleafjhawk I’m sitting in my lucky Jayhawk recliner, was in it in 2008 and in 2022, but alos in it in 2018 and 2003 and 02 and 11 and… sigh, maybe it’s not so lucky

• Good guys by 7 tonight

• the conmen have not won a conference reg season championship since 2006 hard as that is to believe. The 90’s early 200s were their heydays in the Big East.

• Im going uconn by 5

• Man, we’re going to have to wait for this boring matchup drag on for at least another 40 minutes before we get to our game.

• KU wins 4th set, going to an epic deciding 5th set. I wonder if they’re showing it in AFH? They should be.

• @wissox they have been

LFG #Jayhawks

• @RockChalkinTexas That’s awesome, it must be electric in there.

• I think Self has plays he hasn’t shown yet to get the 🏀 to HD early and often!

• @approxinfinity BANNED!

• UConn by 17

• Bummer, they lost in 5 sets.

• @wissox yep just watched it man, our team looks tiny compared to theirs. Having that size was a huge advantage for them, solid season tough to lose at home for the first time all season when it matters most.

• @kjayhawks Ironically, I gave up ESPN+ which means the subscription ran out at midnight. So I couldn’t watch. Now I might miss the beginning of the basketball game. ESPN has to figure out how to do these better.

• Wow they bumped that game for ours!

• They are moving WVU game and ours is on now!!

• Hilarious. I finally got the app to work on my phone and they switched games. LOL

• I dislike giving up second chance points and turnovers. Could be key tonight.

• Yay. Love me some Jay Bilas🙄

• Two wild shots to start.

• Juan is ramped

• Boxing out well

• Wow that dude got tripped after the clock changed to zero