What to Expect at the Champions Classic?

• With 2 solid games in the record books where everyone played well and scored easily, I wonder if the guys, especially the young guys will play much tighter during the Kentucky game. Big Damn Game, right? 23,000 seat arena; national broadcast. Then on to Maui. I don’t believe in the “early losses don’t matter; we’re just trying to build on team chemistry for March” stuff. As a fan, I want KU to beat the snot out of Kentucky and maybe shut their rabid, foaming at the mouths fans down just a bit. I doubt that our players have the same animosity for Kentucky that most KU fans have. I haven’t seen a spread yet. KU should be favored by 8 pts. or so.

• @stoptheflop it’s Kentucky, everyone wants to smack them in the mouth. Big picture wise this game doesn’t mean a whole heck of a lot. We have played in this every year for a decade or so now. I think that helps even with the younger guys because the upperclassmen will be there to get them in the right frame of mind. The older guys have all played in bigger games than this.

• Does CC games have any impact on seeding in NCAA tournament?

• @AsadZ I don’t think they a have lot of impact with how early it is in the season. Sec/B12 challenge in January means more

• @AsadZ said in What to Expect at the Champions Classic?:

Does CC games have any impact on seeding in NCAA tournament?

Yes, it will impact seeding in that this will be a quad 1 win for whoever wins which always helps the resume. Beyond that, if KU and Kentucky were in consideration for the same seed such as a 1 seed or the last 4 seed, then it might matter with the head to head win. The bigger importance from a tournament resume standpoint will be picking up a quad 1 win.

• We’ve got to catch Kentucky again on the all time wins list, but this article from a month ago says we don’t have to. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2023-07-27/college-basketballs-9-winningest-teams

Interesting that the article was posted Oct. 12, and the consequences were handed down Oct. 11. But I think we forfeited 15 games and so an 8 game lead over Kentucky is now a 7 game deficit, so, this game really does matter!

• @wissox said in What to Expect at the Champions Classic?:

We’ve got to catch Kentucky again on the all time wins list, but this article from a month ago says we don’t have to. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2023-07-27/college-basketballs-9-winningest-teams Interesting that the article was posted Oct. 12, and the consequences were handed down Oct. 11. But I think we forfeited 15 games and so an 8 game lead over Kentucky is now a 7 game deficit, so, this game really does matter!

Woah. That’s interesting. Even more interesting that the picture they used to represent KU is from the Elite Eight game against Duke that, if I’m not mistaken, is now considered forfeit. They could have used a photo from the 22 championship. Curious selection.

• @stoptheflop

KU is currently favored by 4.5.

I don’t know how much tightening of the bench Self will do since he only has 9 bodies to begin with it. I think everyone will continue to get opportunities until we hit conference time and then Self will do what he normally does which is play 6/7 majority of minutes. Furphy has been such a wildcard though in a positive way. Looking like a starter but we will see how he handles athletes and scouting.

• Doesn’t Kentucky count their vacated wins from way back when?

• I dunno call me crazy BUT I feel better about our bench now then I did earlier. - -I think Parker will be fine to feel in for Hunter for a few minutes, he actually is a little more athletic then I though - - I just read an article about the Champions Classic and how all NBA teams will be there to watch guys , and that El Marko in their mock draft is # 17. - Kinda sounds like he might not be here for more then one.

Our two Pg -Juan & El Marko when filling in right now have 30 assists and 4 turnovers - -both have a 15/2 ratio. Might be catching a break with UK’s three 7 footers won’t be playing. -Hope we play well Kentucky fans are certain they can run us off the floor - -what am I missing?- -we always like to get out and run

• If elmarko is the 17th pick, he either gets exponentially better at shooting or the draft class is very weak. Don’t get me wrong he looks good, but good at the college level until he gets more seasoning.

• Kansas will win

• Who can play sustained defense to get a lead or fight off a dry spell. A lot of times these rivalry games are a back and forth fight. Our talented experienced guys should carry the others through, especially from a bad start. They won’t back down.

• @dylans

I hope he plays his ass off and astonishes us week after week. Hot dog.

• Isn’t Kentucky missing some bigs?

• @bskeet If present levels of play continue we should challenge them for the lead by the end of the season.

• @wissox said in What to Expect at the Champions Classic?:

Isn’t Kentucky missing some bigs?

ya three of their seven footers - -Bradshaw and two others two broke their foot - -and the other hasn’t been cleared by the NCAA - however he MIGHT get cleared by tomorrow, but I don’t think it is a high chance from the way they talk

• Was Kentucky planning on playing 3 footers at the same time? I wish, but I doubt that. It’d be a fast break blowout.

• @DanR said in What to Expect at the Champions Classic?:

Was Kentucky planning on playing 3 footers at the same time? I wish, but I doubt that. It’d be a fast break blowout.

That’s what Kentucky fans believe will be their route to victory tonight: run, run, run and leave plodder Dickinson in the dust. Kentucky starters are all averaging double digits in scoring, but against NM St and TxAM-Commerce. Coach Cal hasn’t played very many guys during their first two games.

• @stoptheflop said in What to Expect at the Champions Classic?:

@DanR said in What to Expect at the Champions Classic?:

Was Kentucky planning on playing 3 footers at the same time? I wish, but I doubt that. It’d be a fast break blowout.

That’s what Kentucky fans believe will be their route to victory tonight: run, run, run and leave plodder Dickinson in the dust. Kentucky starters are all averaging double digits in scoring, but against NM St and TxAM-Commerce. Coach Cal hasn’t played very many guys during their first two games.

your right I think he or so they said had been playing 7 guys right now because of the injuries. --they wanna run - - -let’s run

• We go as Juan goes. Good Juan = W and bad = L.

Their board is talking about how he’s weak with the ball, not a good on ball defender and their guards can take advantage of him.

They are partially right in their analysis. Juan isn’t that quick laterally and he isn’t strong with the ball (it’s not like steph curry on a string) but his 7 foot reach or whatever it is makes up for it with reach in steals and deflected passes.

Hunter, KJ, Kev will all do their thing but it hinges on our Veteran guard.

Be nice to see Elmarko get 10 or Furphy see some shots go down….I think those two step up and aren’t afraid of the bright lights.

I also think uk’s guards won’t be afraid of the bright lights either. These guys plays big games in aau ect them playing tonight isn’t some entirely new atmosphere

• @stoptheflop

They can only run, run, run with our help on missed shots and turnovers.

• Think Elmarko shows up big tonight. Competing against a bunch of his peers that he’s played against for a while

• @kuballin10 said in What to Expect at the Champions Classic?:

We go as Juan goes. Good Juan = W and bad = L.

Their board is talking about how he’s weak with the ball, not a good on ball defender and their guards can take advantage of him.

They are partially right in their analysis. Juan isn’t that quick laterally and he isn’t strong with the ball (it’s not like steph curry on a string) but his 7 foot reach or whatever it is makes up for it with reach in steals and deflected passes.

Hunter, KJ, Kev will all do their thing but it hinges on our Veteran guard.

Be nice to see Elmarko get 10 or Furphy see some shots go down….I think those two step up and aren’t afraid of the bright lights.

I also think uk’s guards won’t be afraid of the bright lights either. These guys plays big games in aau ect them playing tonight isn’t some entirely new atmosphere

It’s alsp kinda funny if your on their board that how many of them are making up reasons for them losing if it happens, talking about their short bench and how this game is really nott hat big of a game - like they are already conceding defeat

• Can’t win if DaJuan plays poorly?

I recall a game, oh, it was in April as I recall, a Monday night, I think it was in the Superdome, opponent just was called UNC, so I don’t know if they were good or anything but Juan scored 2 points, he had 4 turnovers, did have 3 assists and nearly committed an all time blunder by stepping out of bounds when the game is wrapped up if he stays in bounds. Terrible game, no way KU is winning that game. But I remember him jumping up and down with his teammates and they gave them a big trophy and hung a banner because, despite DaJuans poor play, they were national champions.

His name is DaJuan, stop calling him Juan.

That’s all

• They should get rid of the coach who keeps playing such a poor point guard too. Darn, I guess they can’t because of some sort of lifetime contract deal now?

• And DaJuan’s not as good as Steph Curry we’re told. Like who the heck on the entire planet is as good as Steph Curry?

• @jayballer67 Self does his best work with tight lineups so I’m good with it!

Yeah uk boards are crazy!

• @wissox Least you are admitting he played awful that night because all I heard is he flipped the game with his defense! 🙂

His teammates call him Juan or Juando, coaching staff the same but because you’ve requested I’ll call them DaJuan moving forward!

• @wissox Not as good I said dribbling ability

Wemby is what 8 feet tall and has legit curry handles

DAJUAN should as well (u like that spelling!!!) 🙂

I’m glad you are ready for the game and DAJUAN to ball out!

Hawks by 8

• Who on this board predicted, thought, imagined… that after 2 games, Parker averages 10 pts, 5 rbs and 2.5 assists in 18.5 min? And our mate from down under, Johnny in the same minutes averages 10.5 pts and 4 rbs. I sure hope these two help KU tonight.

• Only 4 times was a Kareem sky hook blocked, Wilt did it twice in one game.

• Hello friends! Whos ready for a Kentucky beatdown?!?!

• I’d love to see a beatdown, but I’ll settle for a solid W

• ESPN now shows the line at 7.5. The line has been increasing daily.

• Too bad Dook won tonight. Looking forward to my first hawks game of the season. Funny being at an Applebees to watch.

• Really hope our guys get off to a good start. When Dickinson hits those early 3s, it just feels like it’s going to be a great game.

• not sure we cover

• Let’s get it

• Kevin we need your scoring.

• Atta boy Juan

• I hate being this close to KU playing and not being able to go to the game.

• We’re just out efforting them. This ain’t AAU ball kids

• Dang, lookin good!

• If Hunter stays another year, he has to hit the weight room.

• @stoptheflop said in What to Expect at the Champions Classic?:

I’d love to see a beatdown, but I’ll settle for a solid W

Like 150-90?

• Nice passing tonight

• Elmarko has to quit thinking. Let it fly, my dude. It’ll come

• Let 'em shoot 3’s

• hunter does have a lot of 5 foot moves with either hand