The next 8 games

• Has their ever been a harder stretch of games?

@K-ST, vs TCU, @Baylor, @UK, vs K-ST, @ Iowa St, vs Texas, @ OU.

Insanity. 5 of them on the road.

• @BeddieKU23 would you be okay with 4-4? I’m thinking 5-3 or better is huge but an even split might be what we get

• @BeddieKU23 said in The next 8 games:

Has their ever been a harder stretch of games?

I don’t see any reason KU shouldn’t go 6-2 or better during this stretch. @KSU and @ISU are the two I could see KU drop, but the other 6 I think KU should win.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in The next 8 games:

@BeddieKU23 said in The next 8 games:

I don’t see any reason KU shouldn’t go 6-2 or better during this stretch. @KSU and @ISU are the two I could see KU drop, but the other 6 I think KU should win.

6-2 I’d take right now just not seeing it with how we are playing. Maybe we are a better road team than home team as our most convincing wins were at missery and at wvu

Tcu and their length at home - we are due for a loss and they can do it

@baylor with their length and good guard play won’t be easy

You already acknowledged ksu and isu on the road won’t be easy. I’d guess 4-4 and it gets a little rocky but 5-3 wouldn’t surprise me

• I don’t get when people say “we’re due for a loss”. Judging by Selfs postgame presser yesterday, he wouldn’t either. The way I look at it, we will need a couple good shooting nights during this stretch - TCU and at ISU in particular.

Personally, I’m not as concerned with the game at home with TCU. They like to run, well guess what, our guys can too. TCU is not that good in the half court, well our guys have the ability to execute well in the half court. The part that concerns me also is a KSU hot shooting night Tuesday. Hopefully they’ve cooled off.

Self was also saying yesterday, in a nutshell, that every team we play is giving it 110% to try to beat us. He said that people sometimes expect more than winning by 3 or something like that, which he said can be valid, but they have to keep it in perspective.

Folks, outside of maybe WVU at home, there will probably not be any blowout or double digit wins until the tournament. The competition is too good and while we like the team. and they are obviously a final four contender, they are not some historically dominant team that is going to win big with how tough the conference is. Just enjoy the season and let Self work his magic.

• @HawkChamp said in The next 8 games:

I don’t get when people say “we’re due for a loss”. Judging by Selfs postgame presser yesterday, he wouldn’t either. The way I look at it, we will need a couple good shooting nights during this stretch - TCU and at ISU in particular.

Personally, I’m not as concerned with the game at home with TCU. They like to run, well guess what, our guys can too. TCU is not that good in the half court, well our guys have the ability to execute well in the half court. The part that concerns me also is a KSU hot shooting night Tuesday. Hopefully they’ve cooled off.

Self was also saying yesterday, in a nutshell, that every team we play is giving it 110% to try to beat us. He said that people sometimes expect more than winning by 3 or something like that, which he said can be valid, but they have to keep it in perspective.

Folks, outside of maybe WVU at home, there will probably not be any blowout or double digit wins until the tournament. The competition is too good and while we like the team. and they are obviously a final four contender, they are not some historically dominant team that is going to win big with how tough the conference is. Just enjoy the season and let Self work his magic.

I’ll give the guys this much for sure - -not sur if you know what the letters stood for when Gene Smithson was at Wichita St -no I’m not a Wichita State fan far from it - -but love the phrase - - ( MTXE ) - -stood for Mental Toughness Extra Effort… - -I think the guys have that- -never letting up just trudging along guttin it out. - -love that with this team - - I actually think these close games could be very beneficial down the line , and into the NCAA’S - -One big concern I have is that our starting 5 get wore down as the Season goes on having to play so many minutes. -that’s why I keep saying we have just got to get something from the bench for sure down the line - -we can’t continue to just get away with 6-7 we need 8 solid off the bench.- When we sub in our point production just vanishes big drop off.

Like you I am worried about Tuesday as K/State coming off a bad game - -KU being huge rival - -Their crap gym just bumpin – not gonna take much for the kitties to get on a roll - -crucial foul trouble - we just can’t keep playing with fire and fall behind like we been doing - it’s gonna catch up with us sooner or later

• The entire conference schedule is tough. Even after this go-around we have to play them all again, and then two of them again in the tourney. Kentucky might be the “easiest” game the rest of the year. One game at a time though.

I’m just glad the seeds of doubt have been planted in the Kstate players’ heads after getting whipped by TCU. Tang can pump them up only to a certain point. The pressure is on them, not KU. It’s their biggest game of the year, but just another road game for KU.

And, keep in mind, last year, we were down 16 at half…

• @HawkChamp Self isn’t gonna ever say we are due for a loss it’s “we gotta play better and that wasn’t our best game ect”.

The due for a loss wouldn’t be said if we were holding serve at home winning by 8-12 but we’ve squeaked out wins against some average big 12 teams (minus isu) so that’s signs for concern.

Juan didn’t score yesterday

Kevin doesn’t draw iron half the time and is so down on himself right now because he’s shooting poorly

Gradey can’t create his own shot

JW’s shooting has cooled off

KJ is the bright spot just carrying us right now - words I never thought I’d type

Due for a loss because if we continue this play on the road, without AFG magic and the opposing team shoots just average we will lose by 6-10

• @DanR we will be battle tested for March no doubt

Uk gonna give us their best shot and they are big so I’m curious to see how we do against them compared to how we played tn earlier

Pressure is on ksu for sure just hope we d them up because we know they don’t play a lick of d as a team

Gonna get their 110%

• I think we’ve escaped some poor performances. We’re due to get going again. JWill and Kev have been ice cold compared to earlier in the year.

If those two can get some mojo back we’re going to win 6 or 7 of these games.

• @Kcmatt7 now would be awesome for this. The missery game was the best game we played start to finish and if our guys can get back to something close to that we will go 5-3/6-2 (im still hesitant because the teams we are playing have serious size)

• @Kcmatt7 said in The next 8 games:

I think we’ve escaped some poor performances. We’re due to get going again. JWill and Kev have been ice cold compared to earlier in the year.

DaJaun too. He doesn’t seem to be at his 100% level either… could just be in-conference teams know how to guard him better, but I hope he (and Self) can figure out a way for him to get more points and get the offense flowing better.

Hell, other than KJ, nobody has really played all that great in conference games.

• @kuballin10 said in The next 8 games:

@HawkChamp Self isn’t gonna ever say we are due for a loss it’s “we gotta play better and that wasn’t our best game ect”.

The due for a loss wouldn’t be said if we were holding serve at home winning by 8-12 but we’ve squeaked out wins against some average big 12 teams (minus isu) so that’s signs for concern.

Juan didn’t score yesterday

Kevin doesn’t draw iron half the time and is so down on himself right now because he’s shooting poorly

Gradey can’t create his own shot

JW’s shooting has cooled off

KJ is the bright spot just carrying us right now - words I never thought I’d type

Due for a loss because if we continue this play on the road, without AFG magic and the opposing team shoots just average we will lose by 6-10

What you just explained is we are due for a game where things go our way. Time will tell.

• @DanR said in The next 8 games:

It’s their biggest game of the year, but just another road game for KU.

Finally!! Someone gets it.

It’s K-frickin-State. At the Octagon of Dumb. Who gives a crap? We will go in there and beat them by 15 and all the Purple Pu$$ie$ will whine about the officiating (on their home court), call Self a Cheater and Dick a dick and we will win, like we always do. IT’S K-STATE people. Quit giving them credit.

• @nuleafjhawk said in The next 8 games:

@DanR said in The next 8 games:

It’s their biggest game of the year, but just another road game for KU.

Finally!! Someone gets it.

It’s K-frickin-State. At the Octagon of Dumb. Who gives a crap? We will go in there and beat them by 15 and all the Purple Pu$$ie$ will whine about the officiating (on their home court), call Self a Cheater and Dick a dick and we will win, like we always do. IT’S K-STATE people. Quit giving them credit.

Sorry that’s not happening to not give K/State any credit for the way they have played this year is beyond insane. - -Keyonte Johnson is a big 12 player Nowell is playing really good.- I’m sur your right - - they will say the things you say, that’s their choice - but to NOT give them any credit - -is ridiculous at least to give them the credit they deserve for the season. Beating them by 15 points lol we haven’t come close to beating anybody in Conference play - - I realize it’s K STATE but also a realist and for them to come out and say name the score -let’s not even bother to play .I’m not saying we won’t win, I think it will be another tough game - - I think your crazy to NOT give them ANY credit on their Season.

• I still think this team loses 5 conference games but really who knows, they are very gritty.

• @BShark

Last year’s squad ended with 4 losses.

At the same point in Time

2021-22 Record- 15-2 (4-1 conf)

2022-23 Record- 16-1 (5-0 conf)

• @jayballer67 Sure - give them all the credit in the world. Love on Mizzou and Kentucky while you’re at it.

• @jayballer67 So, TCU is capable of beating them by 14, but we can’t beat them by 15? Just go ahead and award the Big 12 title to TCU now then, I guess.

• @DanR said in The next 8 games:

@Kcmatt7 said in The next 8 games:

I think we’ve escaped some poor performances. We’re due to get going again. JWill and Kev have been ice cold compared to earlier in the year.

DaJaun too. He doesn’t seem to be at his 100% level either… could just be in-conference teams know how to guard him better, but I hope he (and Self) can figure out a way for him to get more points and get the offense flowing better.

Hell, other than KJ, nobody has really played all that great in conference games.

Dejaun is playing heavy, heavy minutes having sat only 6 minutes all of last week.

Iowa St defended him a certain way which limited his paint touches/open looks (Self even mentioned in his presser how they guarded him). Interesting strategy given what most teams do. I thought their defense was on par to Tennessee who we played awful against on dead legs.

• I was quietly confident Saturday would be a breakout day with everything that was going on, 2nd game at home of the week, but Iowa St came prepared and executed and didn’t allow it. Now I’m shifting that optimism to Tuesday. Perfect time to smell blood in the water given how K-St got dominated over the weekend and this is their pretend Super Bowl game. Perfect opportunity to shove them in a locker, again

@jayballer67 Sure - give them all the credit in the world. Love on Mizzou and Kentucky while you’re at it.

Holy Shit dude - - just breathe. It’s not like we are talking about whether to push the Nuke or not - - we not at defcon 5 - -Geez relax. - -Let me say this AGAIN so you can understand – -you are entitled to your opinion , just like I am and others are entitled to theirs - -we don’t have to agree with every thing that is said every single time. - - No reason to have a stroke - It’s a fricken ball game for GOD’S sake , how well do you handle serious situations ? They absolutely deserve credit - -if you wanna give Missouri & Kentucky Credit go ahead -it will all be ok.

TCU was also playing K State at TCU to - they will not beat K State by 14 in Manhattan — It’s ok your entitled to what you think , no problem here, I will tell you this we will not beat them by 15 points tomorow - -take a poll and see how many think it will be that big of spread. - -Have a god day man

• We just need to get back to our game of running.

I feel like this was the same thing last year though. We were a great transition team non-con and then we had slugfests all conference season, only to get to run again in the tourney.

Key is just to survive the conference season again and get that 1 seed.

• @Kcmatt7 said in The next 8 games:

We just need to get back to our game of running.

I feel like this was the same thing last year though. We were a great transition team non-con and then we had slugfests all conference season, only to get to run again in the tourney.

Key is just to survive the conference season again and get that 1 seed.

I know it’s worthless right now , but still check it out they still have KU as the # 1 seed overall in the tourney. I’ve always had different views on that at times. Do we want the pressure of being the # 1 ovrall and put that much more pressure on the guys - -OR do we gladly accept it and take and run with our chances ?

• @nuleafjhawk @nuleafjhawk @Jethro

You forgot to log in as your correct username. No clue you had all these hats.

Home vs road makes a difference. If you listened to the KU athletics podcast I posted Self says we eeek out wins when other teams might have won by more. That’s because we get everyone’s best 110% and they are more turned up to play us versus when they play an okay big 12 team and their gym is half full.

Part of being the champ is you get everyone’s best shot and you better believe we are going to get ksu’s. I don’t care how many shots Nowell missed Saturday he is going to make some versus us.

Good game for Juan to wake up both defensively and offensively as he’s been uncharacteristically off these last two games.

• @jayballer67 any 1 seed is good no extra pressure if you are the true 1 or not. The guys don’t think about that they just want the best draw to get to the final 4. Fans think about this stuff way more than the players/coaches do.

• @jayballer67 You’re pretty funny. I’m the one who needs to relax? Good one! I’m not the one who’s always SCREAMING and name calling. In case you hadn’t noticed, this is a KU forum. I’m allowed to hate K-State. I’m going to do it anyway, if I’m allowed or not.

Thanks for your “just breathe” advise. You should take some yourself.

@jayballer67 You’re pretty funny. I’m the one who needs to relax? Good one! I’m not the one who’s always SCREAMING and name calling. In case you hadn’t noticed, this is a KU forum. I’m allowed to hate K-State. I’m going to do it anyway, if I’m allowed or not.

Thanks for your “just breathe” advise. You should take some yourself.

Thank you your a breathe of fresh air, Have a great day - -moving on now

@jayballer67 any 1 seed is good no extra pressure if you are the true 1 or not. The guys don’t think about that they just want the best draw to get to the final 4. Fans think about this stuff way more than the players/coaches do.

Correct. The one seeds have the chance by far of getting to the final four and winning the title. Definitely the seed you want to get

@Texas-Hawk-10 said in The next 8 games:

@BeddieKU23 said in The next 8 games:

6-2 I’d take right now just not seeing it with how we are playing. Maybe we are a better road team than home team as our most convincing wins were at missery and at wvu

Tcu and their length at home - we are due for a loss and they can do it

@baylor with their length and good guard play won’t be easy

You already acknowledged ksu and isu on the road won’t be easy. I’d guess 4-4 and it gets a little rocky but 5-3 wouldn’t surprise me

I’m assuming the home games are wins because of the past 20 years. Baylor has been less than impressive this year and their defense sucks this season. Kentucky has the talent, but Cal seems like he’s checked out of Lexington at this point. We also already beat OU sleep walking for 35 minutes so I doubt KU plays that bad against them again. I believe KU will go 6-2 or better during this stretch of games. The Big 12 is good and teams are familiar with each other’s tendencies so we’re not going to see a lot of blowouts in league play, especially because this isn’t a naturally high scoring team like last season was. This team knows how to finish and win close games and does have the best active coach in the game on the calling the shots. Self knows what he’s doing and his decisions and insights tend to be the right decisions far more frequently than not.

• It certainly helps being 17-1. There are only 3 ranked teams in college basketball right now with 1 loss, and there are 3 teams in this week’s AP rankings with 5 losses. I can easily see us 6-2 in the next 8, if not better.

• Anyone catch self talking more about rest this year? In his recent presser he mentioned his current strategy is to give the guys the day off after every game where in the past it’s been more likely to only have 1 day off a week.

I wonder how this will affect tonight considering he gave the guys Sunday off and really only looked at K state on Monday.

• @Jethro I agree. The only losses i think we get are at ISU and maaaaaybe at TCU. People are so worried about TCU and their running game - but isn’t that when Selfs teams are at their best? I mean TCU is good, I’ve been watching them a bit but it’s nothing we haven’t seen before and definitely a winnable game there on a decent shooting night. 6-2 is definitely realistic and with decent shooting 7-1 is possible.