State of the Roster 2023

• Notable Departures:

• Phelps - draft
    • Ky Thomas - Transfer

Notable Additions/Returning:

• JD secured the bag from Adidas and will be back.
    • Bean coming back
    • Kenny Logan back
    • Austin Booker - DE Minnesota transfer
    • Gage Keys - DL Minnesota Transfer
    • Charlie Weinriech - K Nebraska transfer
    • Devin Phillips - DT Colorado State transfer
    • Seth Keller - K Texas State transfer
    • Logan Brown - T Wisconsin transfer

As of right now, we return nearly the entire offense, and essentially everything but the front 4 on D.

Phelps leaving is killer. The best defensive player in the team, but I get it. I thought he was NFL good this season. Going to need a lot from the Minnesota transfers to fill those shoes. We desperately need to find some more DL even after landing 3 priorities in the portal.

Kicker is getting addressed (it seems).

Overall I think we are returning a borderline top 25 roster. We just need the defense to improve and we’re legitimately talking about competing for the conference imo.

Player retention will still be big to watch, but I have o love where we are at.

• @Kcmatt7 said in State of the Roster 2023:

Notable Departures:

• Phelps - draft
    • Ky Thomas - Transfer

Notable Additions/Returning:

• JD secured the bag from Adidas and will be back.
    • Bean coming back
    • Kenny Logan back
    • Austin Booker - DE Minnesota transfer
    • Gage Keys - DL Minnesota Transfer
    • Charlie Weinriech - K Nebraska transfer
    • Devin Phillips - DT Colorado State transfer
    • Seth Keller - K Texas State transfer
    • Logan Brown - T Wisconsin transfer

As of right now, we return nearly the entire offense, and essentially everything but the front 4 on D.

Phelps leaving is killer. The best defensive player in the team, but I get it. I thought he was NFL good this season. Going to need a lot from the Minnesota transfers to fill those shoes. We desperately need to find some more DL even after landing 3 priorities in the portal.

Kicker is getting addressed (it seems).

Overall I think we are returning a borderline top 25 roster. We just need the defense to improve and we’re legitimately talking about competing for the conference imo.

Player retention will still be big to watch, but I have o love where we are at.

ya I look at our roster and mercy can be really good. - -we have soo much coming back , I look and see some really key guys that’s back.- - Love our receiving core think we will see even better , Our offense is set nd with Jason coming back really nice to know if something happens thru injury to Jason we be all right. - -Love the way things are shaping up.

• Additions:

• JB Brown - LB - Transfer from Bowling Green- 2 seasons of eligibility.
    • Spencer Lovell - transfer from Cal - only 1 season of eligibility I believe.

Lovell is a P5 tested lineman. Started at Arizona State for 3 seasons, 1 at Cal (hurt basically all last season). Will be in the mix for sure.

Brown is likely a reserve in year 1. We lost all of our backup LBs this off-season so this is a solid depth move.

• Here’s my updated breakdown. I’m not 100% sure if Vernon is on scholarship, but if so we’re at 83. DE and CB should be priorities in this very tight window before classes start. There will be another window after spring ball. Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 4.43.56 PM.png

• I wouldn’t mind adding a WR as well if we’re at 82.

• Improvement on the lines is a must. Watching the national title game last night, Georgia’s lines dominated TCU on both sides of the ball, which made everything else irrelevant. And Georgia had other talent! But they were so much better up front that it just didn’t matter.

If KU wants to take the next step, improving the offensive and defensive lines has to be a priority. Skill positions are heading in the right direction, but it won’t mean anything if the line play falls behind. I’d love to add another good lineman on defense, and at least some depth on the o-line.

• Oh how I wish we could make it to the national championship game in football, even if we get slaughtered.

• @justanotherfan said in State of the Roster 2023:

Improvement on the lines is a must. Watching the national title game last night, Georgia’s lines dominated TCU on both sides of the ball, which made everything else irrelevant. And Georgia had other talent! But they were so much better up front that it just didn’t matter.

If KU wants to take the next step, improving the offensive and defensive lines has to be a priority. Skill positions are heading in the right direction, but it won’t mean anything if the line play falls behind. I’d love to add another good lineman on defense, and at least some depth on the o-line.

Agree on the DL. I think our OL will be one of the best in the league next year.

Improvement on the lines is a must. Watching the national title game last night, Georgia’s lines dominated TCU on both sides of the ball, which made everything else irrelevant. And Georgia had other talent! But they were so much better up front that it just didn’t matter.

The lines take the most time to develop because there’s no shortcut when it comes to physical development.

I will say that our OL is one of the best in the country and it pretty darn close to as good as we should ever expect. Jmo

The DL has a long ways to go though

• @Kcmatt7 said in State of the Roster 2023:

@justanotherfan said in State of the Roster 2023:

I will say that our OL is one of the best in the country and it pretty darn close to as good as we should ever expect. Jmo

The DL has a long ways to go though

I think the Oline is good, but it is rare to see a group of five linemen make it through the entire season fully healthy. Depth is critical.

• Reading this off TOS. I just have to say this after reading some posts , I’ve come to the Conclusion that no matter what there are SOME people that your never going to be able to satisfy.

A couple of posters from there whining and complaining about the ranking of our foot ball class. Saying thinking we should be getting higher ranked players and such. Bottom line to this whole fiasco the just is that they are dissatisfied with how we are doing in recruiting - -Really ? - -get the hell out of here with that - -there are very specific seasons why they are ranked where we are ranked. - just got to think about it, and has been mentioned.

What people have to remember one reason is this is still a young team, our transitional rate /turnover has been really small- -graduation has been small - -so your classes you recruit are smaller , which hinders your rankings.

Second stop and think look at the stops where Coach has been at - -# let’s see what was it - -Div III - Wisconsin White Water ? is that correct ? - - Buffalo - - Now KU. – now for the first two places mentioned, it would be hard as hell to recruit top notch players to places like that - and for KU in the past - what better recruit would give KU the time of day because of your record - one of the worst if not the worst P-5 program. Your not gonna get good players come to a school with the history we had - but we are on the rise - getting better recruits.

Then lastly , Coach L so I have read and heard never really has had super recruiting classes - -but what Coach L does is goes out find the kid that he thinks will fit in decent players and he DEVELOPS THEM - -Coach knows how to develop.

Some people will NEVER be happy - you got to realize how Coach recruits - we will be fine - WAKE UP

• People that complain about class rankings when it comes to football are people that don’t fully understand football recruiting. It is that simple. The transfer portal has changed that more than ever.

• Who is Zion Taylor? Just saw he is coming to KU.

• @benshawks08 said in State of the Roster 2023:

Who is Zion Taylor? Just saw he is coming to KU.

2024 DE. It’s a big Junior Day tomorrow

• Not trying to get my hopes up too much, but it would be great if we could get some of these guys visiting, especially Damarius McGhee

• You know a guy is a very high priority for this staff when there’s radio silence around a guy. This fits the bill. Like nobody knew about Dom Puni until he was enrolled. When they really want, they can keep a lid on stuff.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in State of the Roster 2023:

You know a guy is a very high priority for this staff when there’s radio silence around a guy. This fits the bill. Like nobody knew about Dom Puni until he was enrolled. When they really want, they can keep a lid on stuff.

Do you know how many open spots there are on the roster?

• @KirkIsMyHinrich I’ve got us at 2 right now. Will change after spring ball.