Stadium

• Keep hearing the $250m number for phase 1. Not sure how much the University and/or Endowment will kick in. Probably depends on how “multiuse” the facility will actually be. Can’t wait for the details to come out!

But. It’s happening. Money people are in. Goff and Girod both know how important it is to get it right. As it will be.

• I am not holding my breath. It has to get done but without $200M+ coming from endowment it won’t imo.

Capital planning is tough. They are building a new Cancer Center at the Rainbow location that is going to be very expensive (but necessary with the new designation). They need to knock down/renovate a few other buildings on campus.

The stadium needs done, but what I can’t figure out is why we don’t just play at Sporting until the money is there to do it right. Do a 5-10 year campaign and do it right.

• Neither side wants KU at Sporting. Once the renderings come out you can be sure most of the money is there. I do believe a capital campaign is coming. Not sure on an announcement date but have heard the stadium will be included.

• @FarmerJayhawk if there a reason why Sporting doesn’t want KU there? And vice versa?

It makes too much sense to me to do it.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Stadium:

Neither side wants KU at Sporting. Once the renderings come out you can be sure most of the money is there. I do believe a capital campaign is coming. Not sure on an announcement date but have heard the stadium will be included.

I’ve read 350 Million , from the article I read today they trying to include things that will fit in right at the North East Corner of the stadium at what is it? - -13th and Mississippi ? adding in some things right there at the bottom of the hill - -things to go with the stadium

• @Kcmatt7 it absolutely will destroy the field. I believe that’s why Sporting didn’t want the D2 championship back. Too much work to keep the field in soccer shape.

• Don’t know that I buy that as the main reason. But it isn’t going to happen so it isn’t worth discussing.

Just hope this time it happens. The KUEA Annual report should be somewhat telling if the money is actually there.

Put me in the still skeptical category. Hard to believe Goff came in and secured funding for the stadium in one year when other ADs have been trying for a while.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Stadium:

@Kcmatt7 it absolutely will destroy the field. I believe that’s why Sporting didn’t want the D2 championship back. Too much work to keep the field in soccer shape.

The D2 title game is well after soccer season is over so that’s not a reason I’m believing for not renewing the D2 title game. As for not wanting KU footballas a temporary tenant, that would be more reasonable as Children’s Mercy already hosts 2 pro soccer teams and there is some significant overlap between MLS, NWSL, and college football schedules in September and October.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Stadium:

@FarmerJayhawk said in Stadium:

@Kcmatt7 it absolutely will destroy the field. I believe that’s why Sporting didn’t want the D2 championship back. Too much work to keep the field in soccer shape.

The D2 title game is well after soccer season is over so that’s not a reason I’m believing for not renewing the D2 title game. As for not wanting KU footballas a temporary tenant, that would be more reasonable as Children’s Mercy already hosts 2 pro soccer teams and there is some significant overlap between MLS, NWSL, and college football schedules in September and October.

https://www.sportingkc.com/news/sporting-kc-announces-playing-surface-renovations-world-class-children-s-mercy-p