2024 recruiting thread

• See we got a official visit set up with Trae Johnson. Johnson is the # 1 overall consensus player out of the 2024 class. - He has his visit scheduled for May 5th-7th. - Of Course all the big dogs in , he visited Kentucky in January, but you know Kent , Duke , N Carol , Tenn , Baylor , Texas Tenn guys like that. We are his 4th visit. He has one more he can take sounds like he will decide before his Senior season starts. I think I saw some where Duke was probably the favorite - -could be wrong though.

Scouting analyst compare him with Devin Booker , saying though they would like to see him improve against back court pressure and decision making. Loves the Mid range game 6’5 -I didn’t even realize we were involved in any way. -He says Ku pitch is that he can come in and be the one and done and help out to championship -just putting this out there

• Honestly didn’t think we were gonna be a major part of Tre Johnson’s recruitment but I saw some Baylor people say that the big three for him were Baylor, Texas and Kansas and in one of the 247 recruiting videos, Travis Branham made the visit sound like a pretty major development. Ultimately we’ll see, seems like a Nike guy. I’d also love for Kansas to throw an offer out to VJ Edgecombe, he’s a riser in the rankings and he’ll be on the Adidas circuit this spring/summer so we should have an in

• https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1648058461371121665. Dink Pate to g-league ignite. We didn’t really recruit him but he’s a 5 star from Texas so figured id put this here.

• Castillo to the cats. Not a big miss IMO. There’s a lot of talent in our backcourt for the next couple years and the class of 24 is HORRIBLE. Other than Tre idk if I’d take a commitment from any of them right now.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in 2024 recruiting thread:

Castillo to the cats. Not a big miss IMO. There’s a lot of talent in our backcourt for the next couple years and the class of 24 is HORRIBLE. Other than Tre idk if I’d take a commitment from any of them right now.

Don’t need a guard in 24 plus he hasn’t developed.

• @BShark said in 2024 recruiting thread:

@FarmerJayhawk said in 2024 recruiting thread:

Castillo to the cats. Not a big miss IMO. There’s a lot of talent in our backcourt for the next couple years and the class of 24 is HORRIBLE. Other than Tre idk if I’d take a commitment from any of them right now.

Don’t need a guard in 24 plus he hasn’t developed.

He’s a 6’1" shooting guard. Naadir Tharpe.

• bill is watching Dylan harper and Tyler betsey today. notable because I think this is the first time he’s been seen at the aau events this weekend but as was said earlier I’d be pretty surprised if this wasn’t duke or Rutgers for harper lol

• @rcjhdraft said in 2024 recruiting thread:

bill is watching Dylan harper and Tyler betsey today. notable because I think this is the first time he’s been seen at the aau events this weekend but as was said earlier I’d be pretty surprised if this wasn’t duke or Rutgers for harper lol

Tyler Betsey has Received an offer from Kansas

• @JAYHAWKFAN214 said in 2024 recruiting thread:

@rcjhdraft said in 2024 recruiting thread:

bill is watching Dylan harper and Tyler betsey today. notable because I think this is the first time he’s been seen at the aau events this weekend but as was said earlier I’d be pretty surprised if this wasn’t duke or Rutgers for harper lol

Tyler Betsey has Received an offer from Kansas

Think it’s between duke and uconn for him…but it does seem like if Duke takes Betsey then they won’t take/have the room for Isaiah Evans and their preference is probably a betsey/harper package deal.

• KU showing interest in recently decommitted Auburn PG Labaron Phillon. Ranked #37 overall. A shakeup in the Auburn staff has him looking around again.

Just find a coach that wants to take me in, wants me to be a leader and true point guard to their team and community, love around the fanbase walking around the campus and visits is a great thing," he said of what he is looking for

Philon averaged 9.0 points, 2.5 rebounds and 4.5 assists a game this past weekend at the Nike EYBL with Team Thad that went 3-1 over the weekend.

“Labaron has been a big contributor to Team Thad’s early success,” said Norton Hurd IV, the Team Thad head coach and program director. “He is a five-star caliber point guard and easily a top five point guard in that class.”

• @BeddieKU23 said in 2024 recruiting thread:

KU showing interest in recently decommitted Auburn PG Labaron Phillon. Ranked #37 overall. A shakeup in the Auburn staff has him looking around again.

Just find a coach that wants to take me in, wants me to be a leader and true point guard to their team and community, love around the fanbase walking around the campus and visits is a great thing," he said of what he is looking for

Philon averaged 9.0 points, 2.5 rebounds and 4.5 assists a game this past weekend at the Nike EYBL with Team Thad that went 3-1 over the weekend.

“Labaron has been a big contributor to Team Thad’s early success,” said Norton Hurd IV, the Team Thad head coach and program director. “He is a five-star caliber point guard and easily a top five point guard in that class.”

Wonder if he just follows the assistant coach to Ole Miss

@BeddieKU23 said in 2024 recruiting thread:

KU showing interest in recently decommitted Auburn PG Labaron Phillon. Ranked #37 overall. A shakeup in the Auburn staff has him looking around again.

Wonder if he just follows the assistant coach to Ole Miss

Safe bet

• Read where V Miller will be visiting again , this time official - -been here for un-offical , says this visit would be longer be able to see more - No date given yet. good ball player

• Isn’t Von Miller a bit old? Lol no clue who you’re talking about @jayballer67

• @dylans said in 2024 recruiting thread:

Isn’t Von Miller a bit old? Lol no clue who you’re talking about @jayballer67

lol, ya think Von hung it up - -no wait - -didn’t he play umm - - FOOTBALL lol.

The Miller I am referring to is Vyctorius Miller , a 6’5 swingman-- -The # 27 ranked player in 2024 , other schools noted in recruitment : - -Gonz , LSU , Miami , NC State , Oregon , Purdue & USC. - pretty decent player

• Kansas has offer 2024 G Jalil Bethea from archbishop wood (pa)

• Jose Richardson- - son of Jason Richardson wants to visit KU - # 54 - - and also Derik Queen 6’9 # 8 player also wanting to visit:- -other schools for him right now are : KU , LSU , Providence , WV

• Isaiah Evans committed to duke. Might take them out of the running for betsey

• This kind of has me wondering, I thought we were pretty well done with High Schools recruits for 2024 aren’t we ? - - Read where Chase McCarthy a 2024 - -4* is coming to KU on an Official Jun 5th. - -Usually a kid won’t waste an Official visit unless thee is some pretty decent mutual interest. If the kid knows that were pretty much done, I sure wouldn’t think he would waste the visit.

2 way Wing , Long Arms , good strength , very good defender , great finisher on the offensive end - Has had 2 other Official visits - - -Houston & Ole Miss - - ranked presently as the # 65 recruit , just kind of puzzling to me. - Why if there is no interest ? I know there are people here that say - -Well sometimes it the Kid is the one interested in the School – Not the School interested in the kid. Yet I would think if a School knows they are done for 2024 , they surely wouldn’t be that cold and not tell the kid - - tell them he would probably be better suited to look else where instead of letting the kid waste n Official trip - Who knows ?

• Not by a long shot in 24. Still don’t have any commits after all!

Not by a long shot in 24. Still don’t have any commits after all!

There I go again, was thinking El Marko , Johnson , Mcdowell was ALL 24 , I’m just getting to dam old lol

• Well see we made Liam McNeely top 6. Ranked # 8 in the 2024 class- -I think it said MT Verde pretty good scorre. - -wonder if we might push for him a little harder sinc Johnson no longer here 6" 8 forward

• https://twitter.com/JamieShaw5/status/1665798121673113602 4 star recruit Jalil Bethea plans on taking an official to Kansas towards the end of Peach Jam. Has already visited Syracuse and also plans on visiting Miami

• Sounds like bidunga is going to duke

• Not a lot of PT available for a 5 in 24-25 🙂

• John Bol committed to Florida

• The entire Coaching staff was in Colorado at the USA -U19 training camp Monday - was watching Tre Johnson , Asa Newell Liam McNeeley , & Derik Queen.,

https://twitter.com/JamieShaw5/status/1665798121673113602 4 star recruit Jalil Bethea plans on taking an official to Kansas towards the end of Peach Jam. Has already visited Syracuse and also plans on visiting Miami

This kid is gonna be a star.

• Chase McCarthy a 6’5 G out of Huntsville - just got through with visit here Ranked # 54 but rising up the polls. - got good size solid -see how this turns out.

Not a lot of PT available for a 5 in 24-25 🙂

Are you confident that Hunter returns for his super-senior year?

• @stoptheflop I think it’s more likely than not. He won’t appreciably improve as a pro prospect and the money at KU is very good.

• I’ll say this now whether we end up with any of these guys or not - -I have noticed for the year of 24 -& 25 Ku is back in on multiple top, highly recruited/ranked players - - going for the Big dogs - -Bill not playing

Some names with kids mentioned KU that’s on their final list or being mention. - -for 2025 is : - -Xavion Staton - -( 7 ft ) - - -Bryson Tiller- - Derrek Dixon - - Tunde Yessoufou.

Other players involved with either 24 - or 25- -Darryn Peterson -sounds like very well could re-class - - -Jeremiah Fears - - Bryson Tucker - -and still very much in the mix for Joson Sanon - -again the guys aren’t messin around

• Definitely an uptick again. NIL game being strong helps as well. It has to be now

Definitely an uptick again. NIL game being strong helps as well. It has to be now

Have to agree with you-- -time to re-load- -down year , but we won’t stay down. Another player that w just got mentioned in his final four yesterday , and personally I just don’t see him ending up here BUT still kept us in his final four. --That’s Derik Queen, just can’t see it if Hunter does come back and then Flory- -and yet I’m not 1000 % sold that he Hunter IS coming back we shall see. if he doesn’t it might be a different story

• KU still has 2 spots guaranteed to fill for next season assuming Self is going with 12 scholarship players next season to finish up the 4 scholarship reduction for next season.

Our 3 current incoming freshmen will replace McCullar, Timberlake and Braun. That leaves 2 more spots plus whatever happens with Clemence, Dickinson, Furphy, or anyone else. If Clemence does transfer out like @FarmerJayhawk says will happen, then we have three openings.

I know we have two bigger guards coming in, but one of those open spots needs to reserved for a high major playmaker transfer that can play the 2 as their primary spot. Any other openings should be dedicated to front court depth.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

Expect them to throw their hat in the ring for the Old Dominion guard that will be in the portal. Will be hard to pull though

• @BeddieKU23 3 years to play too which is a nice bonus. I wouldn’t rule out Peterson or Sanon yet either.

• @FarmerJayhawk

Hopefully we can land 2, a HS stud and a instant impact transfer

• @BeddieKU23 agreed. And just talking out of my rear here but I also wouldn’t turn down another big assuming Clemence goes. Still have one more year to eat the penalty so going all in when it’s Juan, KJ, Hunt, and likely Furphy’s last year would be nice

• @FarmerJayhawk

Absolutely we should grab a big. A 4 man with size which would help KJ out with subbing or an athletic bruiser that would help out in conference play as its becomes the royal rumble instead of basketball down in the paint. Think we should match what teams in the league are doing there

• Well sitting here thinking this morning, just watched some high lie video and yes I know it’s high lite but still I just can’t help but get excited about this 24 class coming in .I’ll say this we got some solid rim protection coming in that’s a given high lite or not. - -Flory get’s it done just watched him in his Conference championship game, he had 17 points----24 rebounds and 10 blocks - - -that is a pretty impressive line. -Yes may still be raw offensively it looks like his shot is decent, a left handed shooter, now in the clip seen him draining 3 point shots left and right - -BUT it was a drill so kind of hard to judge, but his shot looked pure. Flory is thicker then what I thought , looks pretty solid.

Passmore looks solid , drives the ball well solid shot - -Then Philon looks very solid I know they are incoming freshman but you can see the talent in these guys legit.

Very sweet class and yet - - -could you imagine if w ended up landing Darryn Peterson to go with these three -or even Sanon for that matter - -would be an insane class - -My gut tells me I think we have a vey legit shot at Peterson - fingers crossed.

• What playing time will there be next year, assuming Dickinson and Juan stay and KJ is a starter. Elmarko will be improved. Furphy will likely be gone as is McCullar. One spot available? Two?

• @Gorilla72 said in 2024 recruiting thread:

What playing time will there be next year, assuming Dickinson and Juan stay and KJ is a starter. Elmarko will be improved. Furphy will likely be gone as is McCullar. One spot available? Two?

I’m not so sure Dickinson will be back

• As of today I think we bring back everyone but Kevin. Furphy is in no hurry to leave and Hunt’s pro options are pretty limited (UDFA G League or overseas). So we will lose 3 and we have 3 signed. We do get at least two more spots since we ate two from the NCAA penalty and Terio’s scholarship is available, though we could eat that one and get the penalty done a year early. I have a strong, strong suspicion we’ll go after a high major scoring guard in the portal, and maybe a big if Queen wants to come or potentially from the portal depending on fit.

• @Gorilla72 said in 2024 recruiting thread:

What playing time will there be next year, assuming Dickinson and Juan stay and KJ is a starter. Elmarko will be improved. Furphy will likely be gone as is McCullar. One spot available? Two?

There should be 1 starting spot up for grabs. The 2/3 spot will open because of McCullar. Everything else available is back up minutes. I screwed up my math because I forgot about Arterio’s spot still being open.

KU currently has 9 scholarship players, loses 3 to graduation, has 3 signed, and still owes one to the NCAA. So KU can sign 3 right now. A scoring guard is a must, a back up big that can play the 4 or 5 spots should be another transfer and the third spot could be basically any spot at this point.

• Queen again says he will commit soon. Either he’s going to keep saying it or make a decision. probably not KU if soon

Queen again says he will commit soon. Either he’s going to keep saying it or make a decision. probably not KU if soon

ya talk about him wanting to commit before the end of the Season. – Would be a nice get but just don’t see it, think probably Maryland, not sure. Just haven’t heard any rumblings of him coming here that I know of – made his final four but just not seeing it right now unless something changes, not if hunter comes back --still not sure about that myself. Yet if he does then Flory also ehhh probably not

• Queen to Maryland

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in 2024 recruiting thread:

Queen to Maryland

what a surprise – like who didn’t see that coming

• Landing at Maryland says it all. He’s just not that good