Gonzaga Game Thread

• Dave will have some good film on what not to do. Better it happens now.

• Was surprised to see on ESPN last night that we’re supposed to be favored against Kentucky. Not so sure now.

• @BShark said in Gonzaga Game Thread:

@BeddieKU23 said in Gonzaga Game Thread:

This is unfortunately going to be a team that struggles to stay ranked

Idk about this yet, this is against the far and away #1 team in the country. Let’s see what happens tomorrow and against Kentucky. It could be the case, but I am not sure yet.

Not enough fire power on this team and the defense is horrendous. This bunch is a yr away

• @nwhawkfan

Definitely the dog in that game now

• Our coach is better at wearing a mask so I think that makes us the real winners.

• @BeddieKU23 I’ve thought the offense has been good after the bad start. Room to improve as well.

• This season is going to be one we can split into two phases. First, getting beaten up by ranked teams in the non-con and then second, the lights will come on and the season will be cancelled.

• Takeaways from this game IMHO are: we’ve got potential to be a better offense team with a pretty good defense, can depend on contribution directly from our freshmen. I like the fact that we have shooters from many jumpers 2, 3 pts.

• Gonzaga has a real shot at going undefeated this season. Baylor is going to be the biggest threat to Gonzaga going undefeated this season.

@BeddieKU23 I’ve thought the offense has been good after the bad start. Room to improve as well.

Yeah I see where this team could be okay on offense but the ceiling of the team looks very clear to me. Schedule is murder, no home court advantage. But above everything else Dave makes this team what it is. He isn’t good enough

• Yep, Gonzaga is elite, that’s why I’m not melting down too much. Kinda saw this margin coming.

• 86 points is respectable.

• We played one good quarter, tied it up then plated some dumb bball

• Been a while since anyone hung 100 on us, uptempo or not.

• Thanks everyone! Fun to watch & chat together! We’ll catch up again. Go Jayhawk!

• Honestly Gonzaga looks like a very good team but last years KU squad would have ran laps on them. That’s the drop off from 2 elite players to what we have

• Wanted to see more of Gethro

• @msanchez later!

• Everybody have a great Thanksgiving ! Stay safe.

• The defense isn’t where it needs to be but the people discounting the Zags on twitter saying anyone would score on KU are nuts. Gonzaga has multiple pros.

• Happy to have the Hawks back. Unhappy that my concerns of this team are real and not going away

• @BeddieKU23 We will lose more than three games this year. Still think we have a chance to win the last one, though.

• Washburn counts for stats this year, had to pull a Scott Drew due to COVID.

• @benshawks08 said in Gonzaga Game Thread:

@BeddieKU23 We will lose more than three games this year. Still think we have a chance to win the last one, though.

Yeah, this team will end up winning a lot of games. I had to close twitter, too many overreactions.

The good news is Bryce and Jalen look really good. Ochai was GREAT, 4th foul hurt a lot… Garrett was also great. CB needs to be better.

• Well think it was pretty easy to see why we got beat today , It can be fixed for sure, and I know it will be addressed for sure. - - our Defense just killed us today , not sure how many time we were beaten for easy layups - - break downs. - -that was a reason I really think our main reason & then we had NO ANSWER for the Big’s which I was afraid of before the game.

McCormack once he got that 1st foul you might as well taken him out then as he just played like he was too afraid to pick the 2nd lay up after lay up against him.

I liked the fight , the way the guys came back- but just costly turnovers , no defense, getting beat back down the flor.

Wilson done some good things but he also hurt us at critical time too. - Things I think we will get better at were going to be all right - knew they would score quite a bit they love to score - - alot. - have to look at it as just one game - -I forgot we turn around and play again tomorrow - - time to go to work get these things ironed out now. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

@benshawks08 said in Gonzaga Game Thread:

@BeddieKU23 We will lose more than three games this year. Still think we have a chance to win the last one, though.

Yeah, this team will end up winning a lot of games. I had to close twitter, too many overreactions.

The good news is Bryce and Jalen look really good. Ochai was GREAT, 4th foul hurt a lot… Garrett was also great. CB needs to be better.

I agree BShark - -kind of hard to get to upset did see some good things , I am not really worried about scoring that much - looks like it is going to be spread out pretty nice. - -I think we get these turnovers and tighten this Defense we going to be there with alot of others.

The defense isn’t where it needs to be but the people discounting the Zags on twitter saying anyone would score on KU are nuts. Gonzaga has multiple pros.

Their Bigs are going to Score a lot on ANYBODY & Suggs is really good

• @jayballer67 Definitely agree. We can fix the transition d. Will need to get more creative with the half court defense but Self never shows too much in early games against top tier teams. I think he sees them as games to see what the guys are made of. The boys are gonna need some coaching this year to lean on. Don’t have the talent to roll the ball out there and just play with the best teams. It’s why it’s nice to have a hall of fame coach on the sideline. We WILL improve.

There’s just a lack of talent on this squad. It’s been noted by several on Twitter who are not KU Homers. I’ll hope they can improve on turnovers and defense. I like parts of this team and will hope the weaknesses get serviceable. Happy turkey day!

The defense isn’t where it needs to be but the people discounting the Zags on twitter saying anyone would score on KU are nuts. Gonzaga has multiple pros.

Still, Bill Self teams don’t give up 100 points. And definitely not 70 of them in the paint.

The defense is going to be terrible.

• @Kcmatt7 said in Gonzaga Game Thread:

@BShark said in Gonzaga Game Thread:

Still, Bill Self teams don’t give up 100 points. And definitely not 70 of them in the paint.

The defense is going to be terrible.

Bingo giving up 100 doesn’t happen. Ever.

• @Kcmatt7 We saw like two double teams and zero zone today. There wasn’t much of a defensive game plan. In crunch time there will be. It will be about how good this team can learn the systems rather than talent this year.

• Suggs… good effing player Oad level

• The defense can be better and I trust Bill to figure it out. It might involve playing Dave less but this squad has a lot to learn about playing defense as a team.

Obviously it was horrible today.

• Zags, after playing Baylor dec 5, looks to have basically an easy schedule. Their division is as always bad. When the hell has KU had an easy schedule? Zags could indeed go undefeated. They look great.

@BeddieKU23 said in Gonzaga Game Thread:

This is unfortunately going to be a team that struggles to stay ranked

Idk about this yet, this is against the far and away #1 team in the country. Let’s see what happens tomorrow and against Kentucky. It could be the case, but I am not sure yet.

I don’t really think or am worried about us staying ranked. - -Hard to judge against a team like this -pretty dam good. – & being the 1st game is kind of hard to Judge a year we shore up the defense some - -I was more worried about if we were going to put points up - - 90 points against the # 1 team i the Nation isn’t bad - -we are going to be all right

• @approxinfinity said in Gonzaga Game Thread:

This season is going to be one we can split into two phases. First, getting beaten up by ranked teams in the non-con and then second, the lights will come on and the season will be cancelled.

• @BShark I’m already thinking we need to go 5 guards and sit Dave completely.

Dave was 3/9 from the field. He’s not even an offensive presence

• @BeddieKU23 said in Gonzaga Game Thread:

@BShark said in Gonzaga Game Thread:

There’s just a lack of talent on this squad. It’s been noted by several on Twitter who are not KU Homers. I’ll hope they can improve on turnovers and defense. I like parts of this team and will hope the weaknesses get serviceable. Happy turkey day!

I disagree with Goodman. Not sure who KU lands in the last two classes w/o the cloud but I am not sure much changes.

Looking at the roster that played real minutes today

Garrett - proven at this level was good today

Bryce - 5*, looked good

Ochai - same as Garrett, and looks better than last year

Dave - an issue obviously, but was a 4* #36 in his class

Jalen - 4* top 50, looked good

CB - good role player, could obviously improve in some areas, but pretty athletic and talented

Mitch - 🙃 I’ll admit, not really a KU level guy

Tristan - 4*, needs work though

Tyon - looks to be playing hurt? High JUCO ranking, obviously athletic but has mental lapses

I’m not seeing a huge talent void overall. I am seeing a lot of new players and guys moving into bigger roles, which has taken time for Self teams in the past.

The defense can be better and I trust Bill to figure it out. It might involve playing Dave less but this squad has a lot to learn about playing defense as a team.

Obviously it was horrible today.

I could agree about not playing Dave as much possibly - -but then we are REALLY REALLY vunerable even more - - who is going to rebound - afraid it would just for sure be more of a repeat of today - -

@BShark I’m already thinking we need to go 5 guards and sit Dave completely.

Dave was 3/9 from the field. He’s not even an offensive presence

I mean, he has to play SOME. He has a good attitude, and we need him to get better. That said, and I was harping on it during the game (not sure how much here but def in my twitter group chat) that Jalen was boxing out better than Dave, which is ridiculous.

• @BShark I agree I think talent is fine. Especially if you were anticipating Silvio being in this team during recruiting season.

• We had a great no 1 team … then COVID robbed them of a chance to go and win it. Now the zags get to roll thru the season into the final 4. Love to play them again in the tourney… when we are tougher and better and more disciplined. who knows …

• @BShark does he?

He was legitimately terrible today. 4 TO, 3/9 from the field with zero blocks.

@BShark does he?

He was legitimately terrible today. 4 TO, 3/9 from the field with zero blocks.

I think we need him to improve for this team to reach their potential. You can’t play him 0 minutes.

• @BShark I mean I realize that he is going to play some. But I just don’t know he’s capable of being better.

• The defense will get better the more these guys play together and get their chemistry working together.

We know Dave isn’t Doke, but he’s also not going to shoot 3-9 every game either. This is where losing Silvio is going to hurt the most because what’s going to hurt Dave the most is not having another legit big to practice against everyday. Silvio was going to be that guy, but now it’s an undersized Mitch or a too skinny Gethro guarding Dave in practice.

Not having Silvio also means that Mitch can’t play the 4 next to Dave and help on defense which is Mitch’s biggest strength on defense.

With the length KU has, I’d like to see Self develop a zone defense to take advantage of KU’s perimeter length. Not something to run all the time, but it can be weaponized to great effect to disrupt the other team.

• @DanR said in Gonzaga Game Thread:

I think we’re going to see more Mitch

I think he ought to maybe get some more minutes - - I think he might be a little more valuable on the offensive stretch the floor a little more - only thing that would be a liability he just doesn’t have the body frame/bulk to play exclusive.

I think you look at this team a ways down the line - -gonna be different for sure

• Dave looked like what I expected from him for aboutt 4 minutes to start the second half. He got a couple key rebounds, stayed with his man, took strong shots down low and finished through traffic. Outside of those 4 minutes he was a complete dumpster fire. I don’t think it’s an athleticism problem. He just looked shockingly lost.

@BShark I mean I realize that he is going to play some. But I just don’t know he’s capable of being better.

This was the best front court in the nation and you’re judging Dave’s season based on what he did against the absolute best front court he will face all season.

Name a better front court Dave will go against this season? Baylor is the only one in the same neighborhood, but Baylor’s front court is in the back of that neighborhood where the lesser homes are.