2020 Bubble Watch

• @kjayhawks said in 2020 Bubble Watch:

Seeing Dokes snapchats are heartbreaking

I can’t even look. I just can’t

• @FarmerJayhawk said in 2020 Bubble Watch:

@bskeet said in 2020 Bubble Watch:

Of the three who are likely to leave, this abrupt end probably impacts Moss the most. He never got to have a Malik Newman moment.

I hope he has the opportunity to come back.

Self currently submitting his trade request for Josell’s scholly

• Been watching ESPN a lot this morning because I have nothing better to do at this point, the discussion about granting an extra year of eligibility to impacted seniors has been one of the hot topics today.

Thinking about this practically and objectively, I don’t think I would support granting an extra year of eligibility for winter sports athletes because most of those sports were either already complete or very near completion.

The issue you’d run into for winter sports programs is a program like Iowa St. men’s basketball this season where they finished their season with a loss to Oklahoma St. and would not have competed in any of the postseason tournaments. Would it be fair to give those seniors an extra season of eligibility when they completed their entire senior season?

To me, the winter sports would be too messy to try and grant and extra year of eligibility when those sports were very near completion.

The spring sports are another issue though. Those seasons either hadn’t started yet or were still pretty close to the beginning of their seasons. Those are the sports I would look at the logistics of granting every athlete in those sports an extra year of eligibility and granting an exemption on scholarship limits in those sports.

Baseball for example allows 27 players to divide up 11.7 scholarships. Allow programs to go to 33 players for a recruiting cycle and grant 14.6 scholarships to keep the ratios in line with current NCAA limits.

Obviously not all of these athletes would take these deals because some like baseball players may get drafted and decide to begin their pro careers and some decide that because they are graduating this year, would rather transition into their post academic careers.

I would love to see this option extended to spring sports athletes should they want to go that route.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 It seems like the right hting to do is to not cancel the tournament. I wonder if they can walk that one back if things get under control.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 I looked at ESPN thinking they might, you know, focus on the favorite to win it all and how it impacts them. Well nothing about our team which I guess doesn’t matter but is still proof ESPN has flyover country virus.

• @wissox

I’m surprised they weren’t in Durham looking for a Zion update

• @approxinfinity said in 2020 Bubble Watch:

@Texas-Hawk-10 It seems like the right hting to do is to not cancel the tournament. I wonder if they can walk that one back if things get under control.

There’s several issues with trying to reschedule the tournament that made cancelling it the right call and Jay Bilas did a great job of explaining those issues. I’m not going to go into detail, I’m sure you can YouTube his statements because he made them on just every morning show on ESPN.

Basically it has to deal with time. Trying to rebook 14 venues when we don’t know when the tournament would even be able to safely take place is the biggest hurdle. Another hurdle wants going to be TV. Most people wanted the tournament postponed thought it could be played in May. That’s when season finales of shows are so now you’d be looking at rearranging the schedules for CBS/TBS/TNT to accommodate that. On top of that, when/if the NBA resumed around that time, there would be a chance to competing against the NBA Playoffs which TNT broadcasts. The other big hurdle would be the players themselves. Without a known date for when the NCAA Tournament could happen, guys like Dotson and Doke likely wouldn’t be in Lawrence at that point any way. They would be off in some other city training for the NBA Combine gearing up for that.

Postponing and playing at a later date is a great idea in theory, but when the actual logistics of making it happen come into play, cancelling was the only real option the NCAA had.

• They could’ve pushed pause and regrouped. Got some coaches and experts together. Pretty quick decision. This thing could get worse, no doubt. But? Maybe just play top 20 teams? Test teams. Something

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in 2020 Bubble Watch:

They could’ve pushed pause and regrouped. Got some coaches and experts together. Pretty quick decision. This thing could get worse, no doubt. But? Maybe just play top 20 teams? Test teams. Something

Again, the issue is when would the tournament be played? We don’t know when the virus will be contained enough to allow for the travel of players, staff, officials, and fans to compete with minimal risk. There was a ref at the CAA Tournament that tested positive yesterday so now you have those teams affected by this.

This isn’t like the NBA where you could push the season by into July or August if needed. Most of the seniors in the NCAA/NIT wouldn’t be able to play at that point because they’ll have started their post academic careers in the private sector.

There’s a pretty hard deadline of when you could realistically play the NCAA Tournament and that’s May. Let’s say the NCAA tentatively set the NCAA Tournament for May to conclude on Memorial Day. What happens when the NBA and NHL resume and there’s a conflict of schedule between the NBA/NHL/NCAA on a game day because that would be a possibility.

The NCAA Tournament runs in 14 venues and and depending on how the NBA and NHL resumed their seasons, 7 of those 14 venues are home to NBA and/or NHL teams so there’d be logistics of working those conflicts out and that’s just for the men’s tournament. On the women’s side, you’d have 2 more venues that could run into conflict with the NBA in New Orleans and Portland.

There’s just too many question marks and hurdles for the NCAA to realistically put on the NCAA Tournament this season.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 I know, that’s why I say wait and see. I’m afraid myself. Gotta be a way.

@Texas-Hawk-10 I know, that’s why I say wait and see. I’m afraid myself. Gotta be a way.

There’s not a way this can realistically be done without knowing when the spread of this virus will subside enough to start organizing stuff. It’s taken China roughly 3 months to start getting this thing under control. Fast forward 3 months and it’s mid-June before something could realistically be put together. By that time, seniors will have graduated and moved onto their phase of life in whatever job they have lined up for their post athletic career.

Most of the top college stars will be long gone from campus training for the NBA and depending on how they adjust their schedule, may have already been drafted to a team so would that NBA franchise want to risk that player’s future in the NCAA Tournament at that point?

Even if something could be cobbled together at this point, the tournament would be watered down from a lack of top talent playing in it that we wouldn’t have a real champ.

It sucks because of how good this KU team was and they had a real good shot at the title this year, but it’s not realistic to be able to put on an event of that magnitude with so many moving parts and unknowns about when it could even happen.

• Just coming across is that the NCAA is going to grant an extra season of eligibility to all spring sports athletes. They are looking into the same for winter sports athletes as well.

A good first step for the NCAA and surprising to see how quickly this came about. The NCAA still needs to work out the logistics for the spring sports, but since none of those are revenue generating sports, I’m guessing they’ll do an exemption on the number of scholarships and athletes for the next 3 years in accordance with limits already in place for each sport.

• I think re: winter sports you could treat them all as possible medical redshirts. If they want to come back, apply for a 5th year if they haven’t completed their season. For example, UNC did finish their year by losing in the ACC Tournament so nobody there should be eligible. Anyone whose season was cut short should he eligible and the programs should honor all signed LOI’s. So for us, Doke and Moss should be eligible to come back and we should also be able to add Bryce, Tyon, Gethro, and Lattrell. I don’t think I’d be in favor of giving all winter sports SA’s a redshirt for this year. The downstream effects for smaller AD’s would really hurt their finances. Just limit to seniors who had their year cut short.

• Where would it be played: Paige arena. No one’s using it this time of year. And who cares if Coronavirus gets set loose in Columbia?

I think re: winter sports you could treat them all as possible medical redshirts. If they want to come back, apply for a 5th year if they haven’t completed their season. For example, UNC did finish their year by losing in the ACC Tournament so nobody there should be eligible. Anyone whose season was cut short should he eligible and the programs should honor all signed LOI’s. So for us, Doke and Moss should be eligible to come back and we should also be able to add Bryce, Tyon, Gethro, and Lattrell. I don’t think I’d be in favor of giving all winter sports SA’s a redshirt for this year. The downstream effects for smaller AD’s would really hurt their finances. Just limit to seniors who had their year cut short.

I still wouldn’t be in favor of extending this to winter sports athletes unless they were already previously eligible for a medical redshirt. It would be too much of a logistical pain in the butt to go through every roster of every sport to determine who would be eligible for something like that. Then you’d have to find out who would take up that offer and figure out what it would do to roster and scholarship numbers. To me, it’s just not worth it because then you’ll also get other coaches saying why didn’t “Player X” get this opportunity as well?

Winter sports are either finished or more than 75% completed and at that point, it sucks, but move on.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in 2020 Bubble Watch:

@FarmerJayhawk said in 2020 Bubble Watch:

I think re: winter sports you could treat them all as possible medical redshirts. If they want to come back, apply for a 5th year if they haven’t completed their season. For example, UNC did finish their year by losing in the ACC Tournament so nobody there should be eligible. Anyone whose season was cut short should he eligible and the programs should honor all signed LOI’s. So for us, Doke and Moss should be eligible to come back and we should also be able to add Bryce, Tyon, Gethro, and Lattrell. I don’t think I’d be in favor of giving all winter sports SA’s a redshirt for this year. The downstream effects for smaller AD’s would really hurt their finances. Just limit to seniors who had their year cut short.

I still wouldn’t be in favor of extending this to winter sports athletes unless they were already previously eligible for a medical redshirt. It would be too much of a logistical pain in the butt to go through every roster of every sport to determine who would be eligible for something like that. Then you’d have to find out who would take up that offer and figure out what it would do to roster and scholarship numbers. To me, it’s just not worth it because then you’ll also get other coaches saying why didn’t “Player X” get this opportunity as well?

Winter sports are either finished or more than 75% completed and at that point, it sucks, but move on.

I don’t think it would be that difficult, honestly. There’s not going to be many unknowns. Each AD knows who their seniors are and could apply for extra eligibility if they had games canceled. If they don’t want to come back, they can make that decision later. I think the key is just saying if you’re a senior and had games canceled you get an extra year. All signed LOI’s are still valid so rosters will expand for a year. I asked my sister about this yesterday and she said they could do it in hours, especially now that they all have some extra time on their hands.

They could’ve pushed pause and regrouped. Got some coaches and experts together. Pretty quick decision. This thing could get worse, no doubt. But? Maybe just play top 20 teams? Test teams. Something

I think they would have done that if they had known when they were pausing until. The unknown is what doomed the tournament.

@Texas-Hawk-10 said in 2020 Bubble Watch:

I don’t think it would be that difficult, honestly. There’s not going to be many unknowns. Each AD knows who their seniors are and could apply for extra eligibility if they had games canceled. If they don’t want to come back, they can make that decision later. I think the key is just saying if you’re a senior and had games canceled you get an extra year. All signed LOI’s are still valid so rosters will expand for a year. I asked my sister about this yesterday and she said they could do it in hours, especially now that they all have some extra time on their hands.

Would it be fair if KU could bring back Isaiah Moss and UNC couldn’t bring back Christian Keeling simply because of the schedule of the conference tournament?

UNC’s season was done and KU’s wasn’t because of the timing and size of the ACC and Big 12 Tournaments so is it fair to tell Keeling that he can’t come back because of of UNC having an unusually bad season? What if UNC had beaten Syracuse on Wednesday? Would you give someone like Keeling a full because of missing out on likely one game?

Another issue with your scenario would be Mitch Lightfoot. How would your plan affect someone in his position? A player who redshirts what would be his senior year due to PT issues. Would he have to redshirt another season? What would happen to player at a smaller school in the same boat, but the players in front of him return to school because of your plan and now that player is still stuck without PT. Does he get to redshirt again and now miss two years of games or is that player stuck behind those other players and have to transfer out if he wants to play?

In a situation like this, it needs to be a blanket rule to me. Either everyone (all classes) are granted an extra year of eligibility or nobody is. I don’t believe you can cherry pick who gets that opportunity because of scheduling which is something beyond a player’s control.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in 2020 Bubble Watch:

Would it be fair if KU could bring back Isaiah Moss and UNC couldn’t bring back Christian Keeling simply because of the schedule of the conference tournament?

UNC’s season was done and KU’s wasn’t because of the timing and size of the ACC and Big 12 Tournaments so is it fair to tell Keeling that he can’t come back because of of UNC having an unusually bad season? What if UNC had beaten Syracuse on Wednesday? Would you give someone like Keeling a full because of missing out on likely one game?

Another issue with your scenario would be Mitch Lightfoot. How would your plan affect someone in his position? A player who redshirts what would be his senior year due to PT issues. Would he have to redshirt another season? What would happen to player at a smaller school in the same boat, but the players in front of him return to school because of your plan and now that player is still stuck without PT. Does he get to redshirt again and now miss two years of games or is that player stuck behind those other players and have to transfer out if he wants to play?

In a situation like this, it needs to be a blanket rule to me. Either everyone (all classes) are granted an extra year of eligibility or nobody is. I don’t believe you can cherry pick who gets that opportunity because of scheduling which is something beyond a player’s control.

I think so. UNC’s season was over, so he didn’t get anything taken from him. Just use the principle that if your season was completed, you don’t get an extra year. Give Mitch a 6th year if he wants one. He’s going to get a master’s, so might as well let him finish it on scholarship.

I think that’s the case with a blanket rule anyway. If a freshman redshirted to get more playing time down the road you’ve backed up his clock a year if everyone gets another year. Does he take another redshirt year?

I think so. UNC’s season was over, so he didn’t get anything taken from him. Just use the principle that if your season was completed, you don’t get an extra year. Give Mitch a 6th year if he wants one. He’s going to get a master’s, so might as well let him finish it on scholarship.

I think that’s the case with a blanket rule anyway. If a freshman redshirted to get more playing time down the road you’ve backed up his clock a year if everyone gets another year. Does he take another redshirt year?

Again, my biggest issue with your plan is that you’re determining who gets an extra year based on factors beyond that players control and I don’t agree or support that idea. This to me is a situation where it needs to be all or nothing. Either every player gets an extra year or nobody does. If you start cherry picking, now you’re stacking a select few teams while hurting the majority of teams out there.

I know this would only apply to a very select few, but what about a team that had already lost it’s conference tournament, but was waiting to find out if they were going to be in one of the postseason tournaments? How do you determine those teams when those tournaments never got a chance to announce their fields?

This is why a decision like has to be all or nothing in regards to extending an extra year of eligibility because of the NIT, CBI, and CIT not announcing their fields because most of the teams in those tournaments, CBI and CIT specifically, had already completed their conference tournaments.

• Face it, no one would want to win a truncated tourney marred by choosing just a few teams, or a tournament that excluded players because they are moving on with their lives.

For crying out loud, it hurts but we really need to get over it. Much more is at stake in this than the desire to win a trophy.

• Well, the football championship has 4 teams. They spread the three games out over three weeks.

For basketball, they could do the same and it would only take three days. Not that hard. And with four #1 seeds playing in the Final Four, it’s not that much different from 2008.

• I also have wondered if these seniors who are presumably done with school, but have another year of eligibility, could transfer? Will the NCAA put unique restrictions these players or do they make the transfer pool that much bigger this year?

• Another thought: these seniors who get another year of eligibility could really pad their stats and create records that are impossible to beat for other athletes. School records, conference records and national records across all of the winter and spring sports…

Extreme case: Imagine Sabrina Ionescu staying another year. She already is at the top… another year of competition would create records that are impossible to reach.

• Lol more fans at the bars in Lawrence trying to console themselves right now than players on the court at any given time.