Coronavirus Thread: Boy, guys. I really just don't know. Best to keep tabs.

• Guys some may think it’s over reacting , that’s ok I really don’t feel like I am , it is starting to worry me more and more.

You might know this would be just our luck, the year we got a really legit shot at winning it all , and man I’m telling you listening to experts/news/doctors , we are right on the verge of more travel restrictions , more and more talk about closing schools & sporting events.

Now SIX confirmed deaths here in the US from this Corona Virus, think Govt trying to blow smoke up our ass but saying they got it under control. - Hell they don’t even have an anti virus yet ! ! ! . It’s spreading through the states Washington St , Oregon , California , Arizona , Illinois , New York , Rhode Island - - . Wee still like 3 weeks from the NCAA tourney - -how spread is it going to be by then ? - - Soccer teams Hockey teams other sporting teams cancelling games. - we are not exempt my friends I think right now it’s about 75/25 we play but if things don’t get turned around those odds gonna drop fast. - -They said that they are not QUITE THERE YET , as far as telling people to stay home , have a plan set for 2 weeks worth of food / staying inside AT HOME. - - this thing is not good. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73 the tournament is the NCAA s biggest money maker. They are going to play.

• @benshawks08 said in Boy guys I really just don't know best to keep tabs:

@jayballer73 the tournament is the NCAA s biggest money maker. They are going to play.

Huh kinda funny , no sooner then I threaded this , was mentioned for the 1st time on World News - - possibility of March Madness being cancelled. So ya sorry to say it can be cancelled EVEN the NCAA. - -they are talking about a lot of Major events being Canceled

• @jayballer73 Possible, but not likely. The death rate is less than 1.2% its overblown as a destructive factor. The psychological damage it’s done to the market is far worse than the actual COVID-19.

Do I want it? Hell no, but I don’t want pneumonia either.

• @dylans That is what we keep hearing (less than 2 percent), yet six out of 11 have died in Washington state (around 60%). We can all only hope that that number was just a very unlucky draw. The world dropped the ball bigtime on this one - parr for course.

• @Marco in an old folks home. Also they’re saying it’s been in Washington State for 6 weeks. It’s more widespread than reported. The mortality rate is likely well below 1%, it’s not a death sentence.

• I think the virus has been around for a lot longer than originally thought, making it a comparable death rate to traditional flu. Kind of makes me wonder… why haven’t we treated traditional flu with such attention? As many as 60k annual deaths in the USA?

The threat on this virus seems to be with the elderly and sick. Maybe we should better protect the aged at care homes and places where those most vulnerable exist.

I don’t think shutting our lives down is going to stop this virus. If anything… we learn how to better slow down the spread of illness by installing better standards.

I’d like to be in the commercial door business that makes doors not requiring a touch.

• This is the first virus breakout since we have had social media. IMO that is why there is so much hysteria and people losing their sh*t right now, when nothing suggest that people should be doing that.

I am not saying it couldn’t get worse and become a major problem, but as of right now it is not ( in the US) and there is no reason fro people to go out and stock up on things like its doomsday.

• Look up how many people are dying from the flu in this country, then look at cancers, starvation and suicide. Tell me which are an epidemic? As @dylans said, those people in Washington died in an old folks home. Which doesn’t mean that it should be ignored but most virus are fatal to the elderly. Never trust the media my friend.

• @Marco said in Boy guys I really just don't know best to keep tabs:

@dylans That is what we keep hearing (less than 2 percent), yet six out of 11 have died in Washington state (around 60%). We can all only hope that that number was just a very unlucky draw. The world dropped the ball bigtime on this one - parr for course.

Well I know this is one guy that sure the hell not taking any chances. - the projections now are that 40 -70 % of adults will be with the virus - - NOPE not me , - if I have to hermit - -dam straight I’m gonna hermit. for awhile. Thought well might be a step ahead just in case it comes to it - -went to buy face masks and wouldn’t you know every where I went they are already sold out and not sure when they will get anymore. being told always back ordered. -This thing is on both Coast West and east. - -all your Major cities- - NY , Florida , California , Oregon , Washington State Arizona among others - why should I get stupid and kick and rabid dog while it’s down.

Just now came across the deaths here in US went from 6 - - - to 9 today say what you want I’m not gonna take a chance and throw a 10 gallon gas on an open flame.

• @dylans said in Boy guys I really just don't know best to keep tabs:

@Marco in an old folks home. Also they’re saying it’s been in Washington State for 6 weeks. It’s more widespread than reported. The mortality rate is likely well below 1%, it’s not a death sentence.

And I don’t want it to become one either

• @kjayhawks said in Boy guys I really just don't know best to keep tabs:

Look up how many people are dying from the flu in this country, then look at cancers, starvation and suicide. Tell me which are an epidemic? As @dylans said, those people in Washington died in an old folks home. Which doesn’t mean that it should be ignored but most virus are fatal to the elderly. Never trust the media my friend.

Screw that - - I don’t trust the Govt. A lot of talk going around about this virus is all part of a population Control, which Bii gates has his hands in. At this point I wouldn’t discount anything

• @kjayhawks several factors. Flu has .1 % mortality rate. Original estimate in China was 2% mortality. That may change in US. But raw count comparisons mean nothing.

Also. The cdc report yesterday reported several alarming things. one being that people tested positive after having already had the virus. There are questions whether some people have not been able to develop antibodies and/or can be infectious for a prolonged period of time.

Still lots we do not know. We will know a lot more once the disease becomes a confirmed pandemic.

• @approxinfinity said in Boy guys I really just don't know best to keep tabs:

@kjayhawks several factors. Flu has .1 % mortality rate. Original estimate in China was 2% mortality. That may change in US. But raw count comparisons mean nothing.

Also. The cdc report yesterday reported several alarming things. one being that people tested positive after having already had the virus. There are questions whether some people have not been able to develop antibodies and/or can be infectious for a prolonged period of time.

Still lots we do not know. We will know a lot more once the disease becomes a confirmed pandemic.

Another scary thing is , like they just now said on TV. - -This Corona Virus is SERIOUS. - -Little one’s , kids - -this doesn’t seem to be effecting them /yet they can be carriers and not even know it and be out and around numerous others

• I wouldn’t compare this to the ordinary Flu. China doesn’t usually freak out over the Flu, and there’s a huge difference between .1% and 2% when you’re considering an entire population.

Anyhoo, keep in mind, once the permafrost thaws and releases whatever holy hell has been frozen in there for millions of years, none of of this will matter. Unless the asteroid hits first.

In the meantime, wash your hands a lot, and don’t believe the conspiracy nonsense. Buy low. Sell high. If you’re playing violin on the Titanic, try to stay in tune!

• Banned

It’s the end of the world as we know it. Not. Relax. Unless your a old white man with health issues, then worry. Smile.

• @DoubleDD said in Boy guys I really just don't know best to keep tabs:

It’s the end of the world as we know it. Not. Relax. Unless your a old white man with health issues, then worry. Smile.

Welp old man with health issues - -heart condition , exactly what they saying , respitory and heart - -SO YA you jhit it right on the nose thanks lmao. - -yep that’s why I reckon I have a right to worry. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Here’s why the mortality rate is so high in China.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/1206738/the-death-of-a-chinese-flu-patient-reminds-chinas-middle-class-their-lives-hinge-on-personal-connections/amp/

And initial reports of 2% have been reduced as more infected people have been realized. The initial outbreak area has the highest mortality rate at an estimated 1.2%, but it’s less elsewhere.

And then there’s this - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/03/who-says-coronavirus-death-rate-is-3point4percent-globally-higher-than-previously-thought.html

It’s worse than we thought…

Conclusion- no one knows, it’s not good, but it’s not going to be the end of civilization either. Stay healthy.

• Banned

@jayballer73

Me too

• Consider the symptoms of this bug. Pretty mild and not even at the top of the list in flus. Most likely, the death rate will continue to drop and may even drop below some of the known flus.

What is a real concern is it is definitely a different kind of bug. Likely to help our immune systems after we survive the initial big push. 80% probably won’t know they have it.

From what I see of it and what to be of concern is people can carry it a long time without symptoms and spread it. This is a big concern for the elderly, who face the ultimate risk.

The next big risk is toilet paper supply! Yikes! (smile)

• If I were cynical I’d say it was some government testing spread of and response times to a delayed biological weapon.

• Last weekend was a big eye opener for me at Costco. Some guy bought two and a half pallets of water. Water, rice, toilet paper… wow! Another guy probably bought 500 lbs of rice. Hope he likes rice.

Wonder how long it takes for the stock market to bounce back to where it was? Lots of cash being held by institutions, just waiting for the “all clear” sign. This hit definitely counted as a correction and I bet investors will look at this like a necessary shot of medicine anyways because corrections are a part of the investment pattern.

Let’s go win a trophy in April!

• @drgnslayr said in Boy guys I really just don't know best to keep tabs:

Consider the symptoms of this bug. Pretty mild and not even at the top of the list in flus. Most likely, the death rate will continue to drop and may even drop below some of the known flus.

What is a real concern is it is definitely a different kind of bug. Likely to help our immune systems after we survive the initial big push. 80% probably won’t know they have it.

From what I see of it and what to be of concern is people can carry it a long time without symptoms and spread it. This is a big concern for the elderly, who face the ultimate risk.

The next big risk is toilet paper supply! Yikes! (smile)

Lmao - out of toilet paper ? - - Time for the paper towels roflmao

• The plot thickens… UMKC won’t travel to Seattle either. (Kinda ok with that myself) hope things get reigned in soon. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28837362/umkc-play-seattle-fear-virus

• I’m heading to Seattle tomorrow…

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28833590/chicago-state-men-basketball-team-not-traveling-due-virus-women-home-games-canceled

0-fer team not traveling to avoid Coronavirus or another loss? 😝

just got through reading this - - 1st team to cancel their games

• @benshawks08 Be sure to touch your face often and never wash your hands. Soap is bad. Lol. Jk stay safe buddy! It’s supposed to be harder to catch than the flu, but you’re less likely to know you’ve been exposed.

• I think the numbers have changed. Wanna say, 3.4 or 3.2? Globally, higher than the flu now

• @Crimsonorblue22 yes. Much higher mortality rate. Also harder to catch. And I wonder about the numbers - if most people don’t know they have it or it presents light symptoms you would never know it was the dreaded Coronavirus as opposed to a common cold. My supposition is that only the really sick people get diagnosed correctly. Also flu mortality numbers are way under reported globally - China doesn’t count people who died of another things brought on by the flu as a flu death.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

• As someone who lives in the Seattle area, I’m surprised how quickly the needle has gone from Prudence to Panic.

FYI, nearly all of the deaths in Washington state have been elderly patients with underlying conditions, most at a single suburban nursing home located nowhere near the Seattle U. campus. The actions by Chicago State and UMKC seem way over the top.

(Interesting to note that the Roos are leaving the WAC at the end of the season anyway.)

By the way, last week I had dim sum lunch at a Chinese restaurant in downtown Seattle. According to a lot of people on the Interweb, I SHOULD BE DEAD BY NOW !

My supposition is that only the really sick people get diagnosed correctly.

Problem is, only symptomatic people are being tested. A number of now seriously ill people were allowed to spread because they didn’t get sick enough early on to warrant testing. Some dumb restrictions on testing have allowed lots of people to get exposed.

Just a thought: Is the team more likely to get sick tonite since Seniors are at elevated risk?

• @mayjay 🤣 bad one☠

• @mayjay good work!

• @nwhawkfan Did you make a pilgrimage to the Cobain shrine?

• @nwhawkfan said in Boy guys I really just don't know best to keep tabs:

As someone who lives in the Seattle area, I’m surprised how quickly the needle has gone from Prudence to Panic.

FYI, nearly all of the deaths in Washington state have been elderly patients with underlying conditions, most at a single suburban nursing home located nowhere near the Seattle U. campus. The actions by Chicago State and UMKC seem way over the top.

(Interesting to note that the Roos are leaving the WAC at the end of the season anyway.)

By the way, last week I had dim sum lunch at a Chinese restaurant in downtown Seattle. According to a lot of people on the Interweb, I SHOULD BE DEAD BY NOW !

I love Seattle, or atleast used to, haven’t been there in awhile. Surely it can’t be as bad as the media portrays, or can it?

• @Marco Have you been watching The Killing?

• @approxinfinity haven’t seen it yet?

• @Marco said in Boy guys I really just don't know best to keep tabs:

@nwhawkfan said in Boy guys I really just don't know best to keep tabs:

As someone who lives in the Seattle area, I’m surprised how quickly the needle has gone from Prudence to Panic.

I love Seattle, or atleast used to, haven’t been there in awhile. Surely it can’t be as bad as the media portrays, or can it?

Not sure about Seattle but heard today the cases doubled in California today - - in one day , this stuff spreads really fast

• It’s getting real in Santa Clara county now. Several schools are closed and they just announced that the Sharks won’t be playing home games indefinitely.

• @bskeet said in Boy guys I really just don't know best to keep tabs:

It’s getting real in Santa Clara county now. Several schools are closed and they just announced that the Sharks won’t be playing home games indefinitely.

it’s gonna get worse before it gets better. - -Hell they said that an anti virus would probably be available in a YEAR - -WTH , meanwhile back at the ranch, what ya gonna do ?

• The way things are going hopefully it’ll burn itself out in a few months. Less and less people are getting infected in China, but we’re on the front end here.

• Hard to trust what the Chinese say since they keep out foreigners in the quarantine structure.

They have setup a mass quarantine, something we are not even close to being able to do. We can’t even get test kits out where they need to be.

Once we get test kits out as they should be we are in for a big shock. Most likely, there will be a huge numbers of infections. The media will spin that into a frenzy, though the reality is that the death rate will lower maybe even below Type A and B influenza.

When that happens the real question is… why don’t we do something about flu A and B (the flu that is far more dangerous!)?

Are we just going to give in to fear to the point of destroying our way of life? Or will we look for sound ways to curb the spread of infection that won’t kill our economy, make us all isolated zombies, and destroy everything we ever built in this country?

• @drgnslayr Fear mongerers in the media are enjoying this.

• @Woodrow who are you believing there?

• @Crimsonorblue22 well to be honest I have no idea what to believe when it comes to this. I will say I think 2-3% seems really high though. The major problem I see is that you can not believe anything China says so there is no telling how bad it is over there. I would almost guarantee that it is way worse over there but there is just no way to know…

• @Woodrow sounds like the huge problem here is, there are not enough tests. Just listened to a sick RN who was told to “take a Number”. I don’t believe all flu cases are reported either. I have a friend whose wife has West Nile and that was never reported in Reno co. I’m not panicked, but aware and not going on a cruise!

• @drgnslayr I logged back in after months just to say how surprised I am at your take on the Coronovirus.

“the reality is that the death rate will lower maybe even below Type A and B influenza.” Where do you get that?!? The flu kills at a 0.1%. France now has over 600 sick and 9 deaths: that is 1.5% already, and we know of those 600 not everyone will recover.

“why don’t we do something about flu A and B?” You mean like vaccines, that we develop and ask everybody to take every autumn?!?

If anyone wants some more objective takes on what is in store for the USA, and if you don’t trust China, try looking at what is happening in Europe. There is no way things will go better for you than in countries with universal health care. The people who are uninsured or underinsured and cannot afford treatment will infect more people than if they were taken care of.