Cheer Up!

• We good.

Seriously, folks. This team is really, really good. Took some elite level weirdness to lose each game so far. First the inexplicable 28 TO’s against dook without Moss then our dude Marcus goes down early against Nova followed by Dot’s brain fart. First against KenPom #1 dook and then KenPom #19 at their place, and we lost by a total of 3 points. The Dayton win is really good. Our freshmen will only get better, just look at the games Braun and Enaruna had today. Marcus will be back. Silvio will eventually find his sea legs. Self’s teams always get significantly better over break with the increased practice time.

The other thing we have in spades is defense, and it will travel. We’re the KenPom #5 defense, essentially tied for 4th. The offense will come around. I’m certainly an optimist by nature so ignore me if you want to see things on the downside. But!

We good.

• I was just about to post some of the same stuff. Losing to 2 games by a total of 3 points against great teams with top 5 coaches. Not bad.

What sucks though is Gonzaga will most likely remain #1 for a while. I looked at their schedule and they don’t play anyone good besides BYU.

• @FarmerJayhawk The glass of cheer is more than half full, but I have no reason yet to believe this team is “really, really good.” We are 9-2, and as @rockchalkwyo notes, our 2 losses are by 3 points total to ranked teams away from home, which isn’t bad.

On the other hand, we’ve played just 3 teams highly likely to make the tournament, and we’re 1-2 against them. We don’t have a road win. We don’t have anyone who can consistently make an open 3 and we lack ballhandlers. We still struggle to defend the 3, even with 4 out and 1 in. As always seems to be the case, we are a lousy FT shooting team.

Despite the issues defending the arc, we are a good defensive team and defense does travel, so even when the offense isn’t clicking, we can stay in games and pick up class Selfian ugly wins. But unless we can make outside shots, we can also be beaten by any other decent team.

Four of the next six games on the road. That stretch will give us a much better indication of how good this group of Jayhawks is.

• I’m not as optimistic about the offense coming around. This is a group that’s going to struggle to hit 75 points in most B12 games and against other good offenses.

KU has only topped 75 points 5 times in 11 games. We can also probably count on one hand the number of times KU will hit 75 points the rest of the season because we’re getting to a point where KU is playing teams that know the system.

• No shooters on the team. Teams will pack it in and take their chances. Self is enamored with combo guards who handle and play d but cant shoot. Why this team has Doke, Dave, and DeSousa on the roster is beyond me. Two of them is plenty. Robinson-Earl made the right choice in recruiting. Self is stuck in the past.

• @BigBad rob earl shot lights outs too!🙄

• I think this team is great.

Just frustrating to lose a game the way they did. Felt like the Chiefs/Titans game all over.

• @Crimsonorblue22 No he didn’t but Self would have played the guy 5 minutes and complained about his defense. I’m sick of these type of loses. Self will continue to accumulate a lot of regular season wins and no more championships.

• It’s time to unleash our secret-weapon, ginger hair-checking, three-point-shooting assassin from Leawood Kansas.

• BigBad said:

No shooters on the team. Teams will pack it in and take their chances. Self is enamored with combo guards who handle and play d but cant shoot. Why this team has Doke, Dave, and DeSousa on the roster is beyond me. Two of them is plenty. Robinson-Earl made the right choice in recruiting. Self is stuck in the past.

It’s not rocket science. Self recruited both as Doke replacements. JRE would be our starting 4 right now…

• FarmerJayhawk said:

BigBad said:

No shooters on the team. Teams will pack it in and take their chances. Self is enamored with combo guards who handle and play d but cant shoot. Why this team has Doke, Dave, and DeSousa on the roster is beyond me. Two of them is plenty. Robinson-Earl made the right choice in recruiting. Self is stuck in the past.

It’s not rocket science. Self recruited both as Doke replacements. JRE would be our starting 4 right now…

Yea Self has recruited stretch modern bigs.

He needs to quit playing big though. For forever. We’re better 4 with guards and it is glaringly obvious.

• Kcmatt7 said:

FarmerJayhawk said:

BigBad said:

Yea Self has recruited stretch modern bigs.

He needs to quit playing big though. For forever. We’re better 4 with guards and it is glaringly obvious.

Exactly. It’s not a state secret Hurt and JRE were Bill’s preferred frontcourt last fall.

• And even if we play in a bunch of tight games the rest of the year, Self is one of the best. Self is good

• I want to petition to have ALL of our games played at 7 or 8 pm. That way I will only have to pout for a couple of hours instead of all day…

• @FarmerJayhawk I hear what you are saying and it is only one game. But how the heck do we lose a game where Nova shoots as poorly as they did from 3?

• Hawk8086 said:

@FarmerJayhawk I hear what you are saying and it is only one game. But how the heck do we lose a game where Nova shoots as poorly as they did from 3?

We played our C game. Turned it over too much, our best defender went down early, and went 4-10 from the line. We convert either one and one late and come out with a win.

• rockchalkwyo said:

I was just about to post some of the same stuff. Losing to 2 games by a total of 3 points against great teams with top 5 coaches. Not bad.

What sucks though is Gonzaga will most likely remain #1 for a while. I looked at their schedule and they don’t play anyone good besides BYU.

they will stay at# 1 probably the rest of the Season. – their league is trash, no one to challenge them at all

• @jayballer73 they have probably already played their toughest games. I’m cool with it, we suck as a number 1 team. Seems like we always have.

• kjayhawks said:

" I’m cool with it, we suck as a number 1 team. Seems like we always have. "

Addendum: Under Self. Roy’s KU teams stayed there for …years, it seems.