Chiefs!

• O looking good!

• Mahomes!

• Defense still looks like a struggle on third down

• kjayhawks said:

Defense still looks like a struggle on third down

Preseason. Clark wasn’t playing.

• @BShark very true but I still think Dee Ford was better. The defense was terrible last year in everything but creating turnovers. I’m worried that they will be a touch better statically wise but wont duplicate turnover numbers. Oddly enough I feel the same about KUs defense.

• @kjayhawks

Turnovers are difficult to duplicate year over year because they involve some degree of luck (particularly fumble recoveries). Pass gets tipped, and falls just out of reach of a defender, rather than one foot further. Ball gets fumbled and takes a funny bounce right back to the offense. Because of that, looking to have turnovers make up for an otherwise leaky defense is always risky.

If the Chiefs are statistically better (particularly on third down) they will likely be much improved even if turnover numbers dip.

• @justanotherfan right that’s why I’m thinking they won’t duplicate those numbers. But yes if they improve on 3rd it will help tremendously. I’m just waiting til we see if they can actually do it.

• Frank Clark and Tyrann Mathieu say hello! Juan Thornhill looks like he’ll be good by years end too. The D will look better when the starters actually play together. Not elite, probably not good, but better.

The defense will constantly be under pressure, since the other team will be pressured to put up points to stay in the contest. Mahomes might be a little hard on the D, but I’ll take it over not scoring while eating up the clock!

• @dylans

The crazy thing is, Mahomes could throw for 43 TDs, 4500 yards and just 15 interceptions and that would be about 15% worse than last year, but still one of the 25 best passing seasons in NFL history. That is absolutely mind boggling.

I also think the Chiefs run game is more effective this year. Teams will have to put more people into coverage, so the backs are going to be operating with a lot more space around the line of scrimmage. While that may lower Mahomes’ overall numbers, the offense could be even harder to contain, which should make you giddy as a Chiefs fan and absolutely terrified if you root for anyone else.

If the defense is a top 20 defense, the Chiefs will be very hard to beat.

• @BShark your boy Thompson is getting more reps with the first team this week. Hopefully he’ll get some decent playing time in the next game.

• kjayhawks said:

@BShark very true but I still think Dee Ford was better. The defense was terrible last year in everything but creating turnovers. I’m worried that they will be a touch better statically wise but wont duplicate turnover numbers. Oddly enough I feel the same about KUs defense.

Ford has been out for a couple of weeks now. Having knee issues.

I think it was best to move on from a run porous DE with a bad injury history to a guy two years younger who is stronger in the run and still an elite pass rusher.

• dylans said:

@BShark your boy Thompson is getting more reps with the first team this week. Hopefully he’ll get some decent playing time in the next game.

I think he can be a real weapon. Looking like RB by committee.

• Ho hum, preseason

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

Ho hum, preseason

I get bored quickly and turn it off.

• 1st preseason game - Yay! Football!!! 2nd preseason game - When do the real games start? Week 8 - When do the playoffs start? 2 weeks after the Super Bowl - When does football start back up again? 😂

• @dylans soon, 1st week!

• Darwin Thompson will be a star for the Chiefs…forget Shady…forget Damien…Thompson will be the unquestioned starter by the end of the year, imo.

• KUSTEVE said:

Darwin Thompson will be a star for the Chiefs…forget Shady…forget Damien…Thompson will be the unquestioned starter by the end of the year, imo.

I’m not sure even I was this high on him but…I could see it.

• I’m not sold on McCoy just yet myself. He’s had some good seasons but hasn’t averaged over 4 yards per carry in a couple years. Last year was a career worst for him at 3.2.

• @BShark It must be nice getting to watch that offense every week.

• @kjayhawks He’ll probably have some good games, but they’ll gradually fade McCoy out, and go with Thompson. Shady went from the outhouse to the penthouse, didn’t he?

• KUSTEVE said:

@BShark It must be nice getting to watch that offense every week.

Sure is. Been suffering for a long time with shitty qb play until now.

• Thompson will be good. I do think his size will limit his touches. Similar to how Darren Sproles career was extended because he was basically only a 3rd down back his entire career.

You knew he couldn’t handle 20 touches a game. But he could handle 10 and they’d all be explosive touches.

• If they get Sproles impact out of a sixth round guy that would be pretty okay.

• BShark said:

If they get Sproles impact out of a sixth round guy that would be pretty okay.

I mostly mean usage. I don’t know if he ever becomes sproles. But I do like his skill set

• @BShark I’m happy after decades of the chiefs trading or signing a back up/ guy that had been benched. They finally used a high draft pick for a QB. I’m not sure I could name all the guys in that category. Montana, Erbac, Bono, Gannon, Green, Cassel and Smith. “Doing the samething over and over while expecting a different result is insanity”

• …Huard, Thigpen, Brady Freakin’ Quinn started 8 games. 🤦♂

• dylans said:

…Huard, Thigpen, Brady Freakin’ Quinn started 8 games. 🤦♂

Matt Cassel Tyler Palko Brodie Croyle Brady Quinn Kyle Orton Tyler Thigpen Damon Huard

• @Kcmatt7 Here’s breakdown of the KC backfield. Thompson is getting all of the goal line carries, and is taking half the snaps with the first team the last two weeks.

• KC has options at running back. Each guy can do something a little different. That should limit the wear and tear on everyone, which means those guys should all be ready to go come January when this stuff matters.

• @justanotherfan Rotate and motivate 👍🏽

• BShark said:

@justanotherfan Rotate and motivate 👍🏽

And keep guys healthy and fresh.

• BShark said:

dylans said:

Matt Cassel Tyler Palko Brodie Croyle Brady Quinn Kyle Orton Tyler Thigpen Damon Huard

Orton was 2-1 and had a career game here to beat the undefeated Packers…

• KUSTEVE said:

@Kcmatt7 Here’s breakdown of the KC backfield. Thompson is getting all of the goal line carries, and is taking half the snaps with the first team the last two weeks.

I stand by my statement. I think Thompson will do most of his work in 2-minute and 3rd down situations. He’ll see 9-10 touches a game.

• Kcmatt7 said:

BShark said:

dylans said:

I mean…no chance you want him as THE GUY at qb.

• BShark said:

Kcmatt7 said:

BShark said:

dylans said:

I mean…no chance you want him as THE GUY at qb.

No, but he just gets weirdly dumped on by KC fans, imo. Like lumping him in with Thigpen is just such an insult to the man and he isn’t even able to defend himself lol.

• @Kcmatt7 probably because instead of starting for the Chiefs (admittedly a dumpster fire at the time) he chose to be a backup in Dallas. But I didn’t bring him up and actually wanted him back for another year in KC. It would’ve been better than what they got.

• @Kcmatt7 I’m pretty okay with lumping every QB between Green and Mahomes together. And obviously Mahomes is on another planet compared to Green but Green was good.

• dylans said:

@Kcmatt7 probably because instead of starting for the Chiefs (admittedly a dumpster fire at the time) he chose to be a backup in Dallas. But I didn’t bring him up and actually wanted him back for another year in KC. It would’ve been better than what they got.

He did his job perfectly.

He played well enough that he got Romeo hired. Caused them to be so bad next year that we got Romeo fired and were able to go get Andy. (Also we landed Kelce in that 2013 draft with Fisher).

Think about that for a second @BShark

Also Alex Smith was good here. Andy was a big reason, but Alex was good.

• After watching all the wildly incompetent quarterback play for years, Alex was a breath of fresh air. Mahomes is transcendent though.

• Even though Green Bay is my favorite - - guys I’m telling you I love watching the Chiefs play - - boy they got some weapons.

A Bunch of BS - -watching them against Jacksonville and the dam station pulls the game - -that’s a crook of C - - - . - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Easy win with a limping Mahomes and no Hill. Rest up lads.

• @jayballer73 It wasn’t pulled. The CBS production truck lost power. NFL Network Redzone explained that no broadcast feed was coming from Jax, so they didn’t have any highlights in the last few mins of the 4th quarter.

• Tyreek update: Trainer says his shoulder injury led to a problem in his sternum. In the hospital getting treated by an “ortho trauma” physician. Chiefs to update in a day or so.

• mayjay said:

Tyreek update: Trainer says his shoulder injury led to a problem in his sternum. In the hospital getting treated by an “ortho trauma” physician. Chiefs to update in a day or so.

alt text

Full larger update on this. Basically it could be quite bad but doesn’t look like it should be so far.

• mayjay said:

@jayballer73 It wasn’t pulled. The CBS production truck lost power. NFL Network Redzone explained that no broadcast feed was coming from Jax, so they didn’t have any highlights in the last few mins of the 4th quarter.

well what the announcers said when they switched on our local channel - they said let’s go to a more competitive game , on our local station channel 13 what ever affilation that is - - ABC - – NBC - - CBS - -whatever one that is - they didn’t say anything about losing power - - just said they were switching to a more competitive game

• @mayjay is right! CBS lost power🤯

• @jayballer73 They may have simply assumed when their network feed got switched because of the power problem.